• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I really hope Outer Wilds get recognition. It's one of my top games of this generation (and of all time)
  1. Outer Wilds
  2. Baba is You
  3. Slay the Spire
  4. The Outer Worlds
  5. Gears 5
  6. Bloodstained
  7. Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
  8. Blazing Chrome
  9. Wargroove
  10. Creature in the Well
  • Sekiro (Currently playing)
  • Control
  • Disco Elysium
  • DMC5
  • Metro Exodus
  • Life is Strange 2
  • RE2
Damn. That's a hot list. I like it a lot. I didn't play any of Ancestors.. can't say that I ever will XD. What did you like about it? And the first 30 levels of Baba is You is absolutely amazing. But once the difficulty spiked and the open freedom to solve puzzles however I wanted dissipated, it was hard for me to keep going. But yes. If Outer Wilds doesn't get its proper due, there will be some STERNLY WORDED EMAILS GOING OUT.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Death Stranding and Outer Worlds have virtually the same Metascore, but Death Stranding will probably have a much more dedicated fanbase. It'll be interesting to see how the general reception of DS turns out, but I think it will surely be a contender.

May 5, 2018
For TGA, can Jedi Fallen Order contend for the nominations? It releases on November 15 and TGA announce their nominees on November 12 right? Is the embargo for JFO before the 12th? I mean if reviews are positive then yeah I can see it being nominated. That as well as RE2, Sekiro, Apex and Perhaps Outer Wilds I can see grabbing GOTY awards with FE 3H also getting a few too (namely from Nintendo specific outlets).

For Era's GOTY, I think the OP's list is a fairly decent prediction. I think either RE2 or Sekiro will take home Era's GOTY award.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For TGA, can Jedi Fallen Order contend for the nominations? It releases on November 15 and TGA announce their nominees on November 12 right? Is the embargo for JFO before the 12th? I mean if reviews are positive then yeah I can see it being nominated. That as well as RE2, Sekiro, Apex and Perhaps Outer Wilds I can see grabbing GOTY awards with FE 3H also getting a few too (namely from Nintendo specific outlets).

For Era's GOTY, I think the OP's list is a fairly decent prediction. I think either RE2 or Sekiro will take home Era's GOTY award.
Both Star Wars and Pokemon are eligible for TGA.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The media will choose Resident Evil 2. ERA will choose Death Stranding.
I'll be surprised if either of these things happen. I liked RE2 just fine, but I still think of it as "a better version of that game I played years ago." Certainly not the best time I've had with a game in 2019. I know it's a very subjective thing but I enjoyed Days Gone more than RE2.

May 5, 2018
Both Star Wars and Pokemon are eligible for TGA.
Thanks! So I'm gonna make a very early and probably not accurate TGA prediction based on Star Wars being eligible. I say Star Wars does get the nomination for GOTY (assuming it gets a solid consensus from critics) and the other nominees will be:
  • Fire Emblem 3 Houses or Smash
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Outer Wilds (though it will be confusing)
I put FE or Smash because they could nominate Smash to make up for it not getting nominated last year when it missed the deadline. But FE is Nintendo's highest rated game this year and tweets from The Game Awards Twitter has had crazy support from FE fans replying back to its questions. We'll see if the jury will pay attention to that.

Also Pokemon will be nominates for best family game and best RPG.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! So I'm gonna make a very early and probably not accurate TGA prediction based on Star Wars being eligible. I say Star Wars does get the nomination for GOTY (assuming it gets a solid consensus from critics) and the other nominees will be:
  • Fire Emblem 3 Houses or Smash
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Outer Wilds (though it will be confusing)
I put FE or Smash because they could nominate Smash to make up for it not getting nominated last year when it missed the deadline. But FE is Nintendo's highest rated game this year and tweets from The Game Awards Twitter has had crazy support from FE fans replying back to its questions. We'll see if the jury will pay attention to that.

Also Pokemon will be nominates for best family game and best RPG.
Fire Emblem also got most of its glowing scores from the biggest review outlets (9+/10 from IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer, EDGE...). Lots of discussion on Era and online, hugely loved cast of characters...

I think Death Stranding will get a nomination too.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RE2 is probably going to sweep most lists. Sekiro, Outer Worlds, and Death Stranding will each get a few. Control and Disco Elysium will sneak up and snag some GOTYs too. Jedi Fallen Order is a bit of a wild card.

I don't think DMC5 will get much GOTY love. It feels like people moved on from that game pretty fast.

May 5, 2018
Fire Emblem also got most of its glowing scores from the biggest review outlets (9+/10 from IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer, EDGE...). Lots of discussion on Era and online, hugely loved cast of characters...

I think Death Stranding will get a nomination too.
Personally I don't see it, but I can see the possibility of DS taking Outer Wilds' Place. Hey we'll see what TGA does on the announcement stream, which is the 12th or on another date?

Also I'm rooting for FE to get some serious love, it's my GOTY.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Genuine GOTY contenders:
RE2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
The Outer Worlds

Might sneak a few awards:
Death Stranding
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Tetris 99
Astral Chain
Control

Best in their category but won't take GOTY:
Devil May Cry 5
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Mario Maker 2

Barren list kinda, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment. I think RE2 sweeps.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Loved sekiro and Im surprised so many on here think it has a chance against Death stranding or RE2
Just feels to me like most of the media will go for the shooter with incredible graphics and pick RE2. Really disheartening if thats the case. Too many great games this year for a remake to win
outer worlds seems pretty bad imho and I dont get how so many see it getting any award

Mar 18, 2019
RE2 missed out on GOTY back in 1998 because of Zelda and MGS... And now in 2019, the RE2 is the leading contender for GOTY, ahead of Kojima. It took 21 years, but RE2 might finally win the GOTY awards it missed out on the first time.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked RE2, so I'd be shocked if it gets a lot of GotY awards from Western media (also because it's from Capcom). Death Stranding or The Outer Worlds are more likely to be the big winners.

I'd give Pokemon, Three Houses, Sekiro, and RE2 all good odds on Era, though.

Nov 4, 2017
Loved sekiro and Im surprised so many on here think it has a chance against Death stranding or RE2
Just feels to me like most of the media will go for the shooter with incredible graphics and pick RE2. Really disheartening if thats the case. Too many great games this year for a remake to win
outer worlds seems pretty bad imho and I dont get how so many see it getting any award
This is one of the most shallow, dishonest, reductionist BS descriptions of a game I've ever seen. RE literally invented its own genre, and the shooting is such a minor part of the game it's almost optional.

If RE2 wins the most GOTY awards, it's because it's a masterfully crafted, suspenseful, stunning game.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine GOTY contenders:
RE2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
The Outer Worlds

Might sneak a few awards:
Death Stranding
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Tetris 99
Astral Chain
Control

Best in their category but won't take GOTY:
Devil May Cry 5
Luigi's Mansion 3
Super Mario Maker 2

Barren list kinda, but that's what I'm thinking at the moment. I think RE2 sweeps.

I'm gonna predict right now that Tetris 99, Bloodstained, and Control won't get jack.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
GOTY nominees will probably be Death Stranding, Sekiro, Outer Wilds, RE2 and (I really don't know). The winner is probably RE2 or Death Stranding (unless Star Wars surprise us). In other categories, I think this is the winners:

Best direction: Death Stranding
Ongoing game: Final Fantasy XV
Best Narrative: Death Stranding or Disco Elysium
Art direction: Sayonara Wild Hearts
Best soundtrack: Death Stranding
Audio Design: RE2
Best performance: Probably someone from Death Stranding. I can't really remember other performances this year.
Best Action game: DMC5
Best RPG: Disco Elysium
Best Indie: Outer Wilds
Best fighting game: MK11

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
When should we be getting TGA noms? A couple weeks before the show so pretty soon I'd think

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
When you're talking about a remake of a game being the best of the year, you know you're dealing with a pretty shitty year for gaming.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I bet the list will be something like...

1. RE 2
2. Fire Emblem
3. Death Stranding
4. Sekiro
5. Pokémon
6. The Outer Worlds
7. Luigi's Mansion
8. Outer Wilds
9. Call of Duty
10. Star Wars

I think Days Gone will he close to this list, as with Gears 5, Mario Maker 2, and Untitled Goose Game.

I think Control will make a lot of lists, too.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna be RE2 but I don't like RE so Sekiro gonna do it. That's how it works.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This thread makes it really obvious who has and who hasn't played Disco Elysium.
If you played it, there's no way it's going to be missing from your list of possible GOTY picks. No way.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting the lowest points for a GAF/ERA GOTY since Bayonetta 2's 2014 win. Probably a low amount of ballots, too. Could be totally wrong, just not getting a lot of passion from this year. Lot of 8/10s or niche/indie titles, not too many things everybody is swirling around like God of War, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Doom, Overwatch, RDR2, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, or even an indie darling like Shovel Knight, Celeste, Journey, Cuphead, etc. I know some are crazy about Disco Elysium, but that thing is a damn novel, its got a limited audience.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting the lowest points for a GAF/ERA GOTY since Bayonetta 2's 2014 win. Probably a low amount of ballots, too. Could be totally wrong, just not getting a lot of passion from this year. Lot of 8/10s or niche/indie titles, not too many things everybody is swirling around like God of War, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Doom, Overwatch, RDR2, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, or even an indie darling like Shovel Knight, Celeste, Journey, Cuphead, etc. I know some are crazy about Disco Elysium, but that thing is a damn novel, its got a limited audience.
I dont think so, there are too many vocal and dedicated fanbase involved for it to happen.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were people really that hot on RE2? Like its a fine game but I don't think it really does anything THAT special.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were people really that hot on RE2? Like its a fine game but I don't think it really does anything THAT special.
Its more like, what else is going to win? Its a big enough game that it'll get enough votes, its a third person action title with high production values, so it has the wide appeal for a popularity contest, generally well-recieved. For me, its an very good, 8/10 range, but besides Sekiro, Im not seeing what else could win? Death Stranding would really surprise me, with the amount of hate that game has gotten, and that was before the mixed reviews hit

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Looking at the comments, Fire Emblem seems to have the most support behind it. It resonated with a lot of people.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its more like, what else is going to win? Its a big enough game that it'll get enough votes, its a third person action title with high production values, so it has the wide appeal for a popularity contest, generally well-recieved. For me, its an very good, 8/10 range, but besides Sekiro, Im not seeing what else could win? Death Stranding would really surprise me, with the amount of hate that game has gotten, and that was before the mixed reviews hit

I mean I think there have been a ton of great titles this year. People out here acting like there is only a handful of games to choose from are cray. Also acting like Death Stranding is some pariah is insane. There are 74 posted reviews on metacritic with only 11 being mild and 1 being extremely negative. The other 62 are pretty damn glowing. If it weren't for that 1 lame ass Stevior review DS would be sitting in the high 80's to low 90's right now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is gonna shock people with how many it gets I think

The many reviewers who it resonated with, it REALLY resonated with

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I think RE2 is probably going to win here
Only RE2 and Sekiro are locks for nominations at the vgas. Maybe outer worlds since it's still fresh.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Won't be surprised if Days Gone made it into top 5 or top 10 with how many people declaring it their GOTY on any Days Gone related thread.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Fuck everything if Smash does not get a nomination at least, it was released after last years ceremony, and was the main reason I bothered watching the show, in wait of stuff like the joker announcement and to kill time for the game to unlock.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control, Outer Wilds, Sekiro and Apex are this years best games. So I suspect a lot of RE:2 and Death Stranding wins.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Death Stranding is gonna shock people with how many it gets I think

The many reviewers who it resonated with, it REALLY resonated with
The thing with GOTY awards is that each publication makes it a team effort to decide GOTY and not based on the score they gave the game, Death Stranding could very well win this year if a lot people in each team end up loving it but what are the chances of that happening? You also have to remember it's coming late and is a long game so there will be a lot of people who haven't played/finished it yet.

That said I'm expecting it to be second overall.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Fire emblem is going to surprise a lot of people here. Also Pokémon if it reviews well.

This has been one of Nintendo's strongest years, and it will show.