• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you like Sony to balance the cooling and cost of the PS5?

• Go all out on cooling and price the PS5 accordingly (presumably around $500)

Votes: 70 29.8%
  • Skimp on cooling but sell the PS5 at a lower price ( maybe $400 or $450)

Votes: 76 32.3%
  • Get the best cooling but eat the cost and sell the PS5 at a loss (again, at $400 or $450)

Votes: 89 37.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
There were two issues Sony received significant criticism for during an otherwise super successful generation. One was cross-play, which they've now relented on, and the other was the engineering marvel PS4 Pro - a jet engine cosplaying as a home console. Against the quiet, more powerful and similarly priced Xbox One X, Sony's hardware simply didn't hold up.

All of us understand that Sony doesn't wish to repeat that mistake at the start of a new gen. They want a console that's comparable in power and performance, and they HAVE to make it quiet. The problem here is that silent cooling solutions are EXPENSIVE, and unlike the Xbox team, Sony doesn't have prior experience in delivering a powerful yet quiet console.

The options in the poll are all speculation, of course, but since we have no info, why not speculate away. How would you like Sony to hit that performance/cost/cooling balance?

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the look of the Series X, the tower/chimney design is such as obvious solution.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
With the 2GHz GPU clock rumors, they will make it louder apparently.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i dont see why i should care if they sell at a loss or not, so obviously give the best cooling for the lowest price lol

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I will be very upset if they cheap out on this, the PS4 Pro is just comically loud and I will end up playing my PS5 a lot less if it's just as bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I really like the look of the Series X, the tower/chimney design is such as obvious solution.
I actually love the design, and wouldn't mind if Sony delivered a large, stylish tower to solve their cooling issue. That said, considering the design of the devkit, the hardware might not allow them to go for the tower design. I'm pretty sure Microsoft fabricated the Series X SoC with the design already in mind.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The hardware did hold up, except they used cheap ass cooling paste and thermal paste. I replaced both about 6 months ago and it's quiet ever since.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
i dont see why i should care if they sell at a loss or not, so obviously give the best cooling for the lowest price lol
Well, as a consumer, it shouldn't matter to any of us. But selling a console at significant loss puts a lot of financial pressure on a company, and that might result in them being more conservative in their investments in games. So we might see more sequels over new IPs, and more third-person action blockbusters over innovative games, as the company might choose to 'play safe' over trying new things.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm not sure about others but the loud fan on PS4 didn't really manifest for me until 2017 with more demanding games like Horizon, I certainly don't remember it being a problem with earlier games or being a talked about issue around launch.

They'll kind of get away with it from affecting sales again if something similar happens and it's quiet from the box on launch games since I presume it's a problem with the thermal paste from wear over time rather than cooling.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
iirc the only problem the ps4 has is the thermal paste, the cooling architecture is more than adequate as shown to all the people that have ps4 and ps4 pros that makes zero noise.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nothing like having my pro turn into a jet engine and the sound of creaking plastic as i load up the map in a game /s

pls sony

good cooling this time

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
My launch PS4 can be very loud. Last generation I was an Xbox guy with the 360 which had like two or three RROD's. All things considered the noise isn't too bad, I guess.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Easy. Focus to make PS4 Pro as loud as possible. Then hire reviewers to compare the loudest PS4 to the PS5.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I really hope they make it silent. It's annoying to play a game like Resident Evil 2 and hear the console taking off, it ruins the atmosphere the game is trying to set up.

And it's going to be pretty embarrassing if the new Xbox is quieter and more powerful.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Going by how the OG PS4 and the Pro behave, I don't think they will be solving anything.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
they seem to be following the same path as the ps4 for ps5. every corner that can be cut to maximize return will be done.
millions of people bought a ps4 despite being loud. millions will buy a ps5 despite it being loud.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
System noise is so far down their priority list it's almost cute that people think Sony won't release another jet engine. Not trying to system war but I've had so many ridiculously loud Sony consoles over years that I expect the worst from them on this front.

Would love to be wrong. I want my launch PS5 to not be obnoxiously loud.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about others but the loud fan on PS4 didn't really manifest for me until 2017 with more demanding games like Horizon, I certainly don't remember it being a problem with earlier games or being a talked about issue around launch.

They'll kind of get away with it from affecting sales again if something similar happens and it's quiet from the box on launch games since I presume it's a problem with the thermal paste from wear over time rather than cooling.
Heating/fan noise becomes worse over time, it's not just that you suddenly bumped into a hardware-taxing game.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
System noise is so far down their priority list it's almost cute that people think Sony won't release another jet engine. Not trying to system war but I've had so many ridiculously loud Sony consoles over years that I expect the worst from them on this front.

Would love to be wrong. I want my launch PS5 to not be obnoxiously loud.

Agreed. In reference to OP's original question I wanted to simply reply "they won't."

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if they did something but I expect they'll cheap out or just ignore the problem.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Don't cheap out on parts. Make a good cooling system and sell it at a higher price or at a slight loss.
I rather pay premium price for a premium device, than get cheap one because sony wanted to meet a certain price point to keep everybody happy.

Deleted member 44122

the cooling isnt whats gonna push the price, its still gonna be 500 though :P

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Agreed. In reference to OP's original question I wanted to simply reply "they won't."
I guess system noise is an interesting issue because it only manifests once you've already bought the console, and people severely underestimate how bothersome it can be until they actively experience it in their homes. By that time, of course, it's too late.

I personally think that ignoring noise could still screw Sony once the honeymoon-period sales are over. If your friend can't stop bitching about the noise of their newly-purchased PS5, you might be disinclined to get one.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 OG had elaborate cooling but went loud and louder over the two years. Final 6 months of it's life literally was a jet engine before the solder broke on the BGA.

Base PS4 and Pro get loud over time.

My PS3 slim is fine but it's much lower power consumption. I don't think Sony have shown they can properly cool a high power consumption system. PS3 was no expense spared but not good either.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really long HDMI cable so I can put the console in a different room and close the door

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh they should just make the box like their AV Receivers.

MVHdm8b.jpg

But one of the considerations when it comes to the size of consumer electronics is the size of the box you put it in. Because for a shipping container you want to have as many consoles as possible.

So that's a constraint they have as well.

Last edited:

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had minor issues with loud PS4 pro (remember to take off the top overly other month or so and clean the dust, helps a lot). Then again there are way too many complaints of loud PS4s. The press will be all over if it sounds like a jet engine again, and they're not morons. They will find a solution. They have to.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry OP did you say something?

My PS4 Pro is on so I can't hear a word you're saying

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, is the cost really the reason for the noise? I don't believe that.

It's definitely the form factor, not the cost that's playing here. The choices on the poll are wrong to suggest it's a cost issue.

Low noise -> Huge box
Medium noise -> big box
High noise -> PS4 box

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I guess system noise is an interesting issue because it only manifests once you've already bought the console, and people severely underestimate how bothersome it can be until they actively experience it in their homes. By that time, of course, it's too late.

I personally think that ignoring noise could still screw Sony once the honeymoon-period sales are over. If your friend can't stop bitching about the noise of their newly-purchased PS5, you might be disinclined to get one.

One thing that might mitigate it is the lack of comparison to less noisy systems. I'm aware this is entirely anecdotal, but people who are locked into one ecosystem (due to friends, investment into first party franchises, brand loyalty) might think the noise is a price to pay for performance that can't be really solved.
I was a Sony player through and through, having a PS console each generation since PS1. Sure my PS4 OG and Pro were noisy, and it pissed me off, but I thought it was "normal". Then I got Xbone X and I was shocked how quiet it was while playing the same games.

Since only a minority of people own both Sony and MS systems, and I'd bet it's also a small subset of users who would seek out and watch YT comparison videos, maybe a lot of die hard Sony customers accept the noise as something that's unfortunate, but to be expected.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Had a ps4 from launch and was really quiet.
Replaced it with pro on release day and that one was really quiet. Lost that unit and replaced it with latest version pro and that one is even quieter. And we have had 30 degree Celsius plus in house in summer. So i really dont get this "ps4 pro is always loud" thing. But maybe iam lucky 3 times in a row..

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, is the cost really the reason for the noise? I don't believe that.

It's definitely the form factor, not the cost that's playing here. The choices on the poll are wrong to suggest it's a cost issue.

Low noise -> Huge box
Medium noise -> big box
High noise -> PS4 box

It becomes a cost issues when all available budget is spent on essential parts such as ram, storage, cpu/ gpu etc which normally are prioritised and consoles are already sold at a loss at times to meet certain price points. Then there isn't much left for other parts and you have to find parts that sometimes are of no good quality to meet certain budget points.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

Low noise -> Huge box
Medium noise -> big box
High noise -> PS4 box
As a guy who's very much into building PCs, I can tell you that noise relates a lot more to materials used rather than the size of the box. And noise-dampening materials don't come cheap. Besides, the noise in a home console is mostly a side effect of the cooling method used, and cooling methods that are effective and quiet (like the vapour chamber) do not come cheap. So yes, noise-management will affect console pricing.

jandg

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
It becomes a cost issues when all available budget is spent on essential parts such as ram, storage, cpu/ gpu etc which normally are prioritised and consoles are already sold at a loss at times to meet certain price points. Then there isn't much left for other parts and you have to find parts that sometimes are of no good quality to meet certain budget points.
Pretty sure the engineering budget for RAM/Storage/CPU/GPU by far outstrips the engineering budget required for a fan/form factor. That doesn't cost a lot of money. It's just making the choice between a small and big case with the associated pros and cons.

And I'm also pretty sure that a small form factor with a loud fan is going to be much more expensive to engineer than the other way around.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an option for skimp on cooling and sell it for the same price point anyway.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it would require competency in industrial/pc design something they have shown they no longer possess

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not having an internal power supply would surely help with cooling and as such fan noise.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Its going to be another blower, not expecting them to do anything about the noise.