• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 42 as well and this was drilled into my head as well.

I just did an interview last week and still did the suit and tie thing.

Didn't want to look too casual.

Same. Well my interview is over and I think I bombed it-regardless of my tie. Time to go home and collapse.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can you speak to how this changes for women interviewees? Even if it's not for yourself but if you've noticed that people look down on interviewees who aren't in make-up and heels.

I work for a medium-sized software company, we take diversity pretty seriously (at least, we seem to have a diverse workforce in engineering), and I don't think I've even seen any woman candidate for any position in engineering ever discriminated against for wearing/not wearing heels or make-up. Personally in my experience flats have been more common among almost all of the women I've interviewed for engineering positions. Most women candidates who I've interviewed and who were eventually hired had about the same amount of make-up that they ended up wearing once they've become a regular employee, at least it's never been something that I've thought about or seen other people consider in the interviewing process.

Of course, people could have their own biases that go unseen or unnoticed by me, too. I've definitely never witnessed anybody looking down on a woman candidate who did or didn't wear make-up or heels. FWIW, I don't think I've ever interviewed a candidate who wore anything longer than short heels or small lifts, maybe a "kitten heel," but honestly, thinking about it I think just about every woman I've interviewed has worn flats or an adjacent style.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Dress shoes, dress slacks, white button down with conservative tie and a dark blue blazer.

So I can get a job where I wear jeans and t-shirts and don't have to comb my hair if I don't want to.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
500x_wearable-computer.jpg

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
circuit board plated armor

.....on top of my nice button up, tucked into slacks/khakis, and semi-nice shoes. no tie. (worked well in O&G companies as well as web-based companies)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a medium-sized software company, we take diversity pretty seriously (at least, we seem to have a diverse workforce in engineering), and I don't think I've even seen any woman candidate for any position in engineering ever discriminated against for wearing/not wearing heels or make-up. Personally in my experience flats have been more common among almost all of the women I've interviewed for engineering positions. Most women candidates who I've interviewed and who were eventually hired had about the same amount of make-up that they ended up wearing once they've become a regular employee, at least it's never been something that I've thought about or seen other people consider in the interviewing process.

Of course, people could have their own biases that go unseen or unnoticed by me, too. I've definitely never witnessed anybody looking down on a woman candidate who did or didn't wear make-up or heels. FWIW, I don't think I've ever interviewed a candidate who wore anything longer than short heels or small lifts, maybe a "kitten heel," but honestly, thinking about it I think just about every woman I've interviewed has worn flats or an adjacent style.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I was part of a career program for women in tech and we were advised to always wear low heels and light make-up just in case, but it's good to hear experiences from others.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I always wore a suit and tie to interviews on the east coast, but for my first job on the west coast in a tech related healthcare job I just wore a sweater and a decent pair of pants. Didn't want to come across as too stuffy or anything, but also wanted to look nice.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what interview. To be honest I think dressing up is a bunch of ancient bullshit way to judge someone, especially if said person will be wearing jeans and whatnot once you hire them. I would rather see them dress how they would if they were hired.

tldr; dressing up for interviews is "ok boomer" mentality that needs to go away

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you speak to how this changes for women interviewees? Even if it's not for yourself but if you've noticed that people look down on interviewees who aren't in make-up and heels.

not even a thing. Might be different in legal or PR etc where folks are front facing or there's industry norms but for development- same rules as men- dress the best version of how you'd show at work - although I've seen more pantsuits as a quasi formal approach but that's sorta within women's fashion range in a way that's different than a suit and tie I think.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You can agonize over the options or you could just wear a suit.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Depends. When I applied for a programming job i went casual. For my current consulting job i wore a suit.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
not even a thing. Might be different in legal or PR etc where folks are front facing or there's industry norms but for development- same rules as men- dress the best version of how you'd show at work - although I've seen more pantsuits as a quasi formal approach but that's sorta within women's fashion range in a way that's different than a suit and tie I think.
Thanks! And yeah, I think we have more of a range for business casual and business formal.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a sweater, not a t shirt. If you want to class it up, a collared shirt under the sweater is fine, but unless you wear that outfit regularly, it tends to look a bit try hard to me. or sloppy if the collar isn't stiff and pressed.

turtlenecks are a great option too, but I don't know many men who need dressing advice who keep nice turtlenecks in their wardrobe.
Meant more crewnecks in general

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I always wear a suit. A suit is always acceptable, anything but your rolling the dice with what is acceptable.