• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always do a step above what they suggest. If they say business casual, I'd suggest very nice, dark jeans or still dress slacks, but a more casual shirt under a sports coat, and no tie. That way it's not "stuffy super professional", but you still look quite nice, too

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If they expect you in business casual, wear that. Slacks, shoes, shirt, no tie, jacket optional depending on the weather/climate.

Or, you can play it safe and wear a suit... nobody will ever take points away for wearing a suit to an interview, ever. I work in tech, we're very casual dress, but I'd expect someone to dress smart to an interview, and while I wear jeans, a shirt and casual sneaker/shoes every day, I obviously wouldn't hold it against a candidate who wore a suit. Some people interview better when wearing a suit, so it's up to them.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Untucked button down, jeans, boots. At most. Never a tie. I wouldn't work at any company that actually uses this as a basis for a hiring decision though. I've gone to plenty of interviews dressed in a cleanly ironed t-shirt. The line I usually get from recruiters is "feel free to dress however you feel comfortable".

This is in the Bay Area/Seattle, though.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I work at Microsoft and we have pretty strict guidelines on interview protocol from our side - we are encouraged to stick to objective stuff, and not focus on soft skills - to put candidates at ease but also challenge them for clear answers and approach. I'm what's called an "as-ap" interviewer which means that I can come in at the end of the day, interview the candidate (who will have been in several other interviews) and answer their questions as well as to get a sense for team fit and persona, without forcing those criteria -but of course it IS important the person be a functional colleague for a team.

I'm very serious about the process and while I think it's the absolute bottom criteria in an interview, the way you dress CAN make an impact on the people you meet and interact with throughout the process and extremes can tell us a lot. You won't get dinged for tattoos or piercings or any of that stuff, but depending on the job we expect a reasonable level of personal appearance for the interview as a sort of formality to show effort if nothing else. We encourage people NOT to wear suits or to go to any expense - but to wear something comfortable and the sort of "best version of what you'd probably wear to work" - which in our case means looking something like the other engineers, artists, designers and so on in the office.

If somebody showed up wearing like, denim cutoffs and tevas with socks and a t-shirt with a swear word on it - I would personally take note of it, but it wouldn't affect your interview unless all the other candidates were exactly as good and no other criteria differentiated them (impossible).

I have a subjective vision of what constitutes the right apparel for interviewing in the tech field, but I don't want to present it as a fait accomplish since it is subjective, but if you dressed like this for an interview with me, you'd get brownie points at the very least and frankly it would tell me you'd at least considered it and taken the interview and our time seriously:

Spoilered so it doesn't claim any authority for the thread.

pgYg3Q3.gif
If I ever go to a interview at MS I would go for that J Allard style

images

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
blazer-crew-neck-sweater-jeans-large-18759.jpg

Only change I would make for a formal interview are solid jeans as opposed to jeans with a wash like here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on several interviews recently for my profession-Salesforce Administrator. I dress for the interview as I have all my life-a dress shirt, tie, dark slacks, black shoes and a sports jacket.

That being said in two of the interviews I did recently, the email from the recruiters said something along the lines of
  • We're a casual company so feel free to dress in business casual!
Just curious if this is a trick or should I still really go with the old school attire? Should I drop the tie?
You're already dressing business casual.

Sports cost with no tie is business casual.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work at Microsoft and we have pretty strict guidelines on interview protocol from our side - we are encouraged to stick to objective stuff, and not focus on soft skills - to put candidates at ease but also challenge them for clear answers and approach. I'm what's called an "as-ap" interviewer which means that I can come in at the end of the day, interview the candidate (who will have been in several other interviews) and answer their questions as well as to get a sense for team fit and persona, without forcing those criteria -but of course it IS important the person be a functional colleague for a team.

I'm very serious about the process and while I think it's the absolute bottom criteria in an interview, the way you dress CAN make an impact on the people you meet and interact with throughout the process and extremes can tell us a lot. You won't get dinged for tattoos or piercings or any of that stuff, but depending on the job we expect a reasonable level of personal appearance for the interview as a sort of formality to show effort if nothing else. We encourage people NOT to wear suits or to go to any expense - but to wear something comfortable and the sort of "best version of what you'd probably wear to work" - which in our case means looking something like the other engineers, artists, designers and so on in the office.

If somebody showed up wearing like, denim cutoffs and tevas with socks and a t-shirt with a swear word on it - I would personally take note of it, but it wouldn't affect your interview unless all the other candidates were exactly as good and no other criteria differentiated them (impossible).

I have a subjective vision of what constitutes the right apparel for interviewing in the tech field, but I don't want to present it as a fait accomplish since it is subjective, but if you dressed like this for an interview with me, you'd get brownie points at the very least and frankly it would tell me you'd at least considered it and taken the interview and our time seriously:

pgYg3Q3.gif

Would I be dinged if I wore MJOLNIR armor to an interview?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Business casual in tech is dress shirt, jeans, regular shoes (sneakers fine, not sandals). No tie.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a brown corduroy suit jacket that I wear that doesn't look too fancy but still looks professional. I usually pair it with a burgundy sweater worn over a pink polo and some grey pants. Looks like I'm trying without being over the top.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I dunno specifically about that job title, but in both Seattle and Silicon Valley, my experience of seeing tech people doing interviews is they wear a nice shirt (often polo shirt) and full pants (jeans or slacks). I haven't seen anyone wear both a tie and jacket to a tech interview except people interviewing for upper management positions (maybe sales positions too). Admittedly, most of my experience are either game companies, startups, or big corporations trying to create a startup atmosphere.

This describes my experience. I'd never wear a suit or tie to a tech company interview (for a technical position, not a management role), and I'm pretty sure that some hiring managers might look at me funny if I did. I just did an interview a couple months ago for a company I applied for and wore a basic pair of khakis and a polo shirt, and I still almost felt overdressed. They hired me, so my choice of dress wasn't too out of line.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Button up, long sleeve shirt with tie and slacks. Also dress shoes or slide ons. Pretty much anything that's not tennis/basketball shoes or god forbid sandals.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
If OP is fit and handsome, this is the right look!
I don't really think you need to be fit or handsome to make a simple three piece outfit like this work. But it's important that all of your clothes are fitted well if you've put on some weight. Don't try and hide stuff with baggy clothes, it looks bad no matter the outfit you go with. Though I might switch to a v neck sweater instead of crew neck just because the triangle shape is a bit more flattering and draws the eyes up.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ the people trying to make this a joke thread.

I normally do dress shirt, pants, sometimes a tie. Since most tech companies I apply to are more lax, I try to look less "stiff" (untucked shirt, less common colors for shirt and tie)

As long as you look good you should be fine.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Suit normally, also it depends on what kind of company it is. If it's a finance company go in with a suit and tie as normally the IT department are fully suited and booted too.

However if I'm being honest my last couple face to face interviews, various industries, I never bothered with a tie. Just a suit trouser, shirt and v-neck jumper/sweater is okay. I even wore a polo t-shirt under my v-neck jumper once and got the role.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Software engineer, and I always wear a suit unless told not to. I've had places tell me specifically not to wear a suit but I don't assume. Always better to be over dressed even if you feel awkward interviewing at a place where everyone wears t shirts.

Feb 1, 2018
Don't wear a suit in tech, it makes you look desperate. Actually just don't ever wear a suit, like at all. Or a tie, ever. Only at weddings or funerals.

Nice white collarless button down, high quality black jeans, black/white vans, apple watch.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
My CTO was in shorts and a t-shirt in my interview. I had a sweater on and was fancier than him.

Jul 18, 2018
Wear one level above what the employees would wear.

If the company is casual, wear business casual.
If the company is business casual, wear a shirt and tie.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would use it as a negative if you showed up in a suit.
This.
Also yea, don't feel bad about even dressing up too professional, that is not going to be the deal breaker. Rather look good vs bad for first impressions.
But yea almost all tech jobs, i have always worn clean jeans, more business casual when working

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
In that specific instance, one step above business casual is basically black slacks + dress shirt + a tie.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the company you're interviewing for.

I work at Intel and suits were definitely expected the last time I was involved in interviews.

But I've interviewed at like Amazon before, and I just wore a polo shirt + slacks to that.

No one is going to "trick" you with a clothing recommendation though. That's just dumb from their side since it just wastes time (and therefore money).

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you interviewing?

On the west coast I would do button down shirt, either nice jeans or khakis, and a sports coat. No tie.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
no the titanium alloy is thoroughly ding proof and has a simple mimetic nanomaterial coating that can fill in minor dings and scratches.

**Looks at blueprints for MJOLNIR cosplay costume made of styrofoam cups and kitchen sponges**

Maybe I'll stick with a nice cardigan or dress shirt if I ever apply D:

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY

pgYg3Q3.gif

Thanks for this info. We both work for the same company and this helps for the position i wanna go for.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Wear your finest Patagonia fleece and Allbirds. Bonus points if you show up with a beard and Airpods.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My first interview I wore a suit. Every one after that has been nice dress or khaki pants, shoes, and a buttoned shirt. No tie, clean shaven or facial hair cleaned up to not look like a slob.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen someone in real life pull off the blazer and tee shirt combo.

I'm seeing more blazer and turtle necks though.
Well, that's a sweater, not a t shirt. If you want to class it up, a collared shirt under the sweater is fine, but unless you wear that outfit regularly, it tends to look a bit try hard to me. or sloppy if the collar isn't stiff and pressed.

turtlenecks are a great option too, but I don't know many men who need dressing advice who keep nice turtlenecks in their wardrobe.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for my salesforce admin+dev job i wore:
black jeans
casual button down shirt, untucked
combat boots

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Can you speak to how this changes for women interviewees? Even if it's not for yourself but if you've noticed that people look down on interviewees who aren't in make-up and heels.