• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think we all know that bigotry is a huge problem in nerd culture. I was wondering, how do you guys handle/deal with it?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I laugh at the nerds. Call them nerd losers. Make fun of them. Don't hang out with them. Pretty simple, but then again I'm a white male so I'm never their target but it still helps to call them out on it and ostracize them for it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much don't associate with anyone who's open and public with their bigotry, so at this point it doesn't effect me all that much. If I somehow encounter it in my presence I'll try to call it out, but the opportunities are slim lately.

I just wish I could do the same with people who have an irrational, world-consuming hatred for The Last Jedi.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I pretty much keep my nerdiness to myself. For instance, I fucking love miniature painting and the Warhammer universe but wouldn't step foot in a forum for it.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I try to call it out when given the opportunity and distance myself from people, personalities, or platforms that enable it.

Pretty much this.
Not that it is on the same level but, I have also become sick of nerd culture gatekeeping, one of the primary reasons I stopped attending conventions like PAX and carious comic cons.

Last edited:

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
No point in calling them out over in game chat. I just mute everyone and pay as little attention to text chat as possible, only way I can get through a multiplayer game with out getting pissed off. One of the reasons posting on this forum is as close as I get to associating with nerd/gaming culture.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I try to call it out when given the opportunity and distance myself from people, personalities, or platforms that enable it.

Definitely agree with everyone about the importance of calling bigotry out when possible/safe/etc. It does bother me that there is a sizable contingent of bigots who feel like they "own" nerd culture, because it depresses me that things I like are publicly associated with those people. (The fight over TLJ is a great example, I personally feel like the stakes were so high for some people because they correctly realized that straight white male nerd ownership of Star Wars was being challenged).
If anything though, we just need to stick up for non- or anti-bigoted creators of stuff in nerd culture and continue to call out bigots.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
What is 'nerd' culture? It seems to cover pretty much anyone below the age of 50. Play video games - nerd culture. Watch MCU or star wars - nerd culture.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid it when possible and call it out when it's someone I think will listen. I don't need that negativity in my life.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't engage in it. I don't watch twitch or streamers, and haven't played online with a mic since the Xbox Live Beta.

Something like this, except if i see it in a public forum im active at, i call it out, in fact i have been kicked out of groups for calling out Jon Tron.

But in general? Do not engage with the community, specially in online games.

My rules with online games are:

1.-Mic is STRICTLY for use with IRL friends only
2.-Do not engage the community
3.-Do not reply to vile
4.-Communicate only through in game pings and texting "thx" or "good job".

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Something like this, except if i see it in a public forum im active at, i call it out, in fact i have been kicked out of groups for calling out Jon Tron.

But in general? Do not engage with the community, specially in online games.

My rules with online games are:

1.-Mic is STRICTLY for use with IRL friends only
2.-Do not engage the community
3.-Do not reply to vile
4.-Communicate only through in game pings and texting "thx" or "good job".
I don't ignore it, I give Trumpers hell every day just about, but when it comes to gaming I'm just never looking or listening to anywhere it is coming out of. For instance I don't know who Jon Tron is.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Call the shitbags out for what they are - worthless fucking losers. How many fucking comic readers get mad about inclusion and the open support and visibility of marginalized groups, and then say the X-Men are their favorite superheroes? Most of these people are media-illiterate morons who can't even grasp the shit they're obsessed with.

Don't fucking take that shit. Don't be nice about it. These little shits wanna act small, then make them feel smaller. I've run out of patience for garbage like this.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't ignore it, I give Trumpers hell every day just about, but when it comes to gaming I'm just never looking or listening to anywhere it is coming out of. For instance I don't know who Jon Tron is.

Popular youtuber that turned out to be incredibly racist and pro white supremacist, spreading bullshit about "polluting the genepool" and "white countries should be allowed to protect their heritage" and other shit, his market was mostly impressionable young kids.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to try and do the passive thing the non confrontational folks here would suggest. Listen and educate them on how ignorant and un inclusive they were with their bs.

As I got older and realized they don't give a fuck I stopped dealing with problematic ones, and would challenge them by having them speak in circles.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I call it out when it's appropriate (e.g. not on a YouTube comment and yes when it's IRL or in a smaller setting), and sever ties where needed.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had more opportunities to call it out than I do, but I think I just mostly run in circles where that isn't a thing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tell them not to say stupid shit and if they insist on saying it, leave

Not like you're losing out on much if you decide not to hang out with gamers anyways

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Blame it on Big Bang Theory. There are all sorts of assholes acting like Sheldon Cooper now.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
IRL, I've mostly stuck with the same people I've known all my life when it comes to playing games, running D&D, etc, so I know them well and we're all on the same page there.

Online, I report whenever possible given the platform in question, and otherwise just don't frequent places where that behavior is tolerated.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Confront it head on whenever I see it.

Gaming and nerd culture is rife with this shit, even if we're making a lot of progress we need to stamp it out asap.