• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you deal with YouTube ads

• I have YouTube premium so I don’t see ads

Votes: 183 40.3%
  • I have a remote with me at all times so I can skip ads

Votes: 180 39.6%
  • I don’t have a remote with me at all times so I sometimes watch them

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I don’t mind watching YouTube ads

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • I don’t watch YouTube

Votes: 32 7.0%
  • I have some way to block ads when I watch YouTube on TV

Votes: 46 10.1%

• Total voters

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I skip them instantly.

I had a premium trial for 3 months and it was AMAZING, but I can't justify paying for it, so I deal with ads.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
No option for it, but I have my PC hooked to my TV, which makes me forget it even has ads until I use it on my phone

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DNS-based ad blocking doesn't work with Youtube, unfortunately.
I have a raspberry pi running pihole and it doesn't block the T.V. app ads due to them being served directly through youtube/google.

EII9vIsXkAEizag

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Choose a video, if an ad starts playing, press "Back", and click on the video again, and this time no ads play.
Works for me.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I don't watch YouTube. YT just doesn't have enough content I care about, so if I must watch it, I'll setup my laptop with ublock or just exit out entirely.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Premium

I basically only watch it on my TV, iPad and phone so apps like "YouTube Vance" or whatever don't really have any appeal to me.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, whilst I was previously happy to skip, I used premium for a while and now I'm spoiled so I don't think it's long before I go back.

I watch far more youtube than other stuff (don't watch live TV at all), so it's probably worth it.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I always have a remote nearby, seems like a necessity

I do have YouTube Premium. I don't think it's worth the full price (I use YT less than others here I think) but I have the student rate and that seems more reasonable.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I trialed Premium for a month and didn't hate it. So I'm still using that and appreciate the ability to "set it and forget it" when listening to music or watching long playlists on my TV.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I avoid watching youtube on anything other than my desktop/laptop for this very reason . I don't mind an ad or 2 before the video starts or when it ends but this whole mid roll shit , especially these sitcom length ones, can get fucked . One tech youtuber I used to watch would try to cram in multiple ads in a 10 mind video..like yo..WTF?? Ads like these I swear are targeted at people like me who fall asleep to watching youtube with auto play on but with no ad blocker..

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I watch more YT than any other streaming service so Premium makes sense for me and the majority is through the TV apps on Roku, Samsung, or Xbox. I'd rather music wasn't bundled and it was cheaper but I don't regret paying for it.

Meissner

Sep 10, 2020
i honestly don't watch much youtube on my tv but when i do i have my remote close by to click the button

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I rarely watch YouTube on my TV specifically because of the ads. So annoying to have them interrupt something I'm watching at the most random time. I do have YouTubeTV though, but that's different since it's actually TV and most stuff I watch on that I've already DVR'd so I can just fast forward past the commercials.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen a Trixie video 26 minutes long and I actively watch their content.
only thing i can think of when they are on one of a sponsored channel. even then its less than 20 minutes.
Lmao it is for some reason just the full episode of The Pit Stop but as an ad

www.youtube.com

The Pit Stop AS6 E03 | Trixie Mattel & Heidi N Closet Sell Side Hustles | RPDR All Stars

Season 12 Miss Congeniality Heidi N Closet joins @TrixieMattel to discuss commercials and break down the latest episode of All Stars 6!#VH1 #DragRace #AllSta...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have an ad blocker and Opera to avoid ads, and I watch YouTube on a laptop, not a TV.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch YT on tv because of ads and the browser subs page is the only way I really like to scroll through YT content.

I've never considered installing Vanced on my fire tv though. I might do that, but I still probably won't use it very much because I like to watch YT while sitting at my desk.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Not as bad as Prime Video ads, I'm paying for that shit and they still give me ads.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what the fuck is a UFC and why the hell does YouTube keep trying to get me to care

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube Premium person here. Had it since Google Play Music -> YouTube Music. Would actually prefer to switch to spotify for music but the YouTube premium deal is too good to pass up.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i watch a ton of youtube on tvs in my house and have been considering yt premium just for this. ads are fucking ridiculous on tv/roku apps.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
Premium was nice to have when I had a google play music sub, but google had to be google and abandon that, and premium is not worth it to me on it's own. I primarily watch youtube on my PC anyway so it wasn't that big of a loss.

You get YouTube music with the premium subscription. It took some getting used at first, but it's actually pretty good to use now.

I have the premium family plan, definitely worth it since I'm grandfathered in on an old price.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Premium member here, totally worth it. I have a living room PC that I used to watch Youtube on with ad-block on Chrome. But after getting an X900H I embraced the smart tv life- using the remote and the app is just more streamlined and ergonomic than a keyboard/touchpad. "Typing" with the onscreen keyboard sucks, but mostly I watch my subbed channels and stuff from the algorithm so I don't need to type a search very often. And I believe the Premium subscription helps to support creators while free plugin ad-blocking takes revenue from them. I watch a lot of Youtube so it's worth it. People passionate about their interests making videos on their own is to me just a lot more compelling most of the time than demographic-targeted focus-grouped corporate-produced tv shows.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Most videos I watch on my TV have minimal ads thankfully. Maybe one at the start and one or two during if they're longer than 10-20 minutes. So I just skip them with my remote when I can. Hasn't been a huge deal. Most annoying ones are the like 10 seconds ads that don't offer skipping.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Premium member here, totally worth it. I have a living room PC that I used to watch Youtube on with ad-block on Chrome. But after getting an X900H I embraced the smart tv life- using the remote and the app is just more streamlined and ergonomic than a keyboard/touchpad. "Typing" with the onscreen keyboard sucks, but mostly I watch my subbed channels and stuff from the algorithm so I don't need to type a search very often. And I believe the Premium subscription helps to support creators while free plugin ad-blocking takes revenue from them. I watch a lot of Youtube so it's worth it. People passionate about their interests making videos on their own is to me just a lot more compelling most of the time than demographic-targeted focus-grouped corporate-produced tv shows.
Pro tip: you can browse the YT app on your phone and play/queue up videos on the TV if you don't like typing with the remote

Nov 23, 2017
I have premium, but I still need to keep the remote/mouse handy for the in-video ads. Except for Ginny Di, her ads are awesome.
I only watch Business Blaze ads. Mostly because he always goes off tangent and you don't know if its part of the ad or not. Kinda funny how a couple companies are like sure do whatever you want, just be sure to put the legal s*** in there too someplace.