• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I slept about 6 and a half hours last night, I woke up early and ate breakfast today. Fast forward to now, it's 3:45 pm and I'm sleepy as fuck and even though I drank some coffee I still feel very sleepy. How do you usually deal with this? Do you walk around the office? Go outside to grab something and wake up a little? Splash some water on your face?
I work an office job btw.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always make sure to do everything important before lunch, cause I do not function well afterwards.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I slept about 6 and a half hours last night, I woke up early and ate breakfast today. Fast forward to now, it's 3:45 pm and I'm sleepy as fuck and even though I drank some coffee I still feel very sleepy. How do you usually deal with this? Do you walk around the office? Go outside to grab something and wake up a little? Splash some water on your face?

I usually get up and go chat with someone or go walk up the steps to get heartbeat going.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Well you got less than optimal sleep and you're a coffee-drinker so maybe small tweaks to your habits and diet can help make that last half of the afternoon more bearable. Hows your blood sugar? Is your lunch meal really heavy or full of carbs?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Try eating plant based. Rarely feel sleepy after lunch since I switched.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got back from lunch and I'm dragging ass right now. Guess it doesn't help that I only had 5 hours of sleep, skipped breakfast, and had less than 500 calories for lunch today.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Schedule things that don't require all your brain power for this time. Coffee, music, get up and walk for a bit. Some days you will be nodding no matter what. I hear exercising regularly helps. Something I should do but don't. Also don't overeat during lunch.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
Since the coffee thing doesn't seem to work for you (sounds like you're a fast metabolizer of caffeine), try splashing some cold water on your face. Should jolt you up a bit.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I had this every single day in the short time I worked in an office. Now I stand all day and I never feel sleepy anymore, even after 3 hours of sleep.

So change jobs I guess?

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I usually get up and go chat with someone or go walk up the steps to get heartbeat going.
Yeah I do this sometimes too, chatting with the girl working at the reception for a bit.
Yeah I gotta admit I've been eating a lot of junk these past few months. Gonna work on that.
Well you got less than optimal sleep and you're a coffee-drinker so maybe small tweaks to your habits and diet can help make that last half of the afternoon more bearable. Hows your blood sugar? Is your lunch meal really heavy or full of carbs?
Lately it's been full of carbs, but I'm going to work on changing that. I had no carbs today though, it was all veggies and mushroom with mozzarella. I hardly drink coffee, in fact today was my first cup after like 3 weeks probably.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Usually coffee and gum. I have on occasion gone into the bathroom to do like a minute of air squats, which gets the blood pumping pretty good.

Also make sure to watch what you're eating for lunch. If you eat an excess of calories, you're going to be tired; there's no getting around that.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Coffee.
Currently taking a red bull, i have class after work and i slept like 4 hours yeterday

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I nevet eat a full meal and just nibble throughout the shift, so I never have to worry about feeling sleepy after lunch. Granted there is no physical way to actually get to a point where you should feel drowsy at all, I'm a chef btw, except if its during the Graveyard shift. There is no saving you from drowsiness at 3 in the morning with slow room service besides gallons of coffee.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Caffeine.

I will second that changing your diet helps. While I was doing keto I didn't get my usual 2pm-itis even though I had zero caffeine.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm stuck in my office I just try to stay awake, dick around on the internet, get up to get water from break room, etc. 2 or 3 days a week I'm in the field after lunch and then I don't feel sleepy since I have to drive and walk into buildings, talk to clients, etc. But I understand the sleepy post lunch blues when you're stuck at your desk, it does suck.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Sleep more. 6 and a half hours ain't gonna cut it. You should be shooting for 8 at a minimum. That's ultimately the root of your problems most likely, and anything else would be a band-aid.

Otherwise, caffeine is good. A short walk before going back to work is good. Avoiding a carb-loaded and/or gluttonous lunch is good.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I go for a walk and then drink at least a bottle of water at my desk. For whatever reason, I find hydrating helps stave off the afternoon lull.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Try and move around. Helps wake you back up. Take a lap around the office

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sleep more. I used to have this problem until I fixed my sleep habits. Everyone is different obviously. Some people are fine with 7 others need 9 hours.

Unless you're a genetic outlier, 6 hours may not be enough.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
I've removed carbs from my lunch since I've noticed that I tend to get sleepy whenever I eat a moderate amount of them and I haven't been physically active.
Might not even be the carbs but my lunches are generally just lighter. Just some chicken breast or tuna, lettuce and scrambled eggs.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I try not to eat a lunch that makes me really full or else I'll be sleepy.
I also try and do some exercise on lunch, even if it's just a short walk.

Otherwise, I usually find that some tea helps.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just cut out carbs for lunch and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, you just have to work through it or lie down for 20 minutes.

A line of coke works.

latest

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I had this problem everyday and it turned out to be caused by severe sleep apnea.

Now I use a Cpap machine and I'm wide awake in the afternoons.