• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
He'll be played by an old but famous actor (maybe McKellen?) first and be rejuvenated Doctor Who style by the Great Evolutionary.
At first he will be that nice old man the heroes help and will reveal himself when whatever mcguffin will turn him into whoever will play him onward.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
There's no chance they're going to use multiverse or time travel or anything. Nor will he be slow aging. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Magneto's connection to the Holocaust is powerful, but it is not essential. There are countless modern atrocities he could be a part of, including a made-up one.

I think they'll use the snap as a catalyst but they need to wait long enough for the snap to have been a long time ago. The backstory well eventually learn is happening now.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really carry the same weight. The fact Magneto went through that shit is how he got warped in the way he did. He's part supremacist, part revolutionary, and all of it because of the insane shit he went through and is threatened with again by non-mutants.

Now, that I think about it, there it is. They experimented on him, gave him an incomplete version of the super soldier formula as they were trying to develop a perfected version for the Red Skull. It ties him directly into the birth of the Marvel Universe, connecting him directly to everything that came before. Not only that, but given what we saw of those who took the serum in "The Falcon and The Winter Soldier", it would also help audiences understand how someone with his background could become a supremacist himself. That and it would very easily explain his slowed aging process.

The only issue remaining would be Xavier himself.

Xavier doesn't have to be Magneto's age, or tied to anything specifically. He met Magneto later.

Changing where his brother became the Juggernaut is easy enough.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no chance they're going to use multiverse or time travel or anything. Nor will he be slow aging. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Magneto's connection to the Holocaust is powerful, but it is not essential. There are countless modern atrocities he could be a part of, including a made-up one.

I think they'll use the snap as a catalyst but they need to wait long enough for the snap to have been a long time ago. The backstory well eventually learn is happening now.
Replacing the Holocaust with one of Dr. Doom's dastardly deeds or some shit would be in poor taste. I really doubt they would consider using a fictional atrocity.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Put me in the it would be exciting to change the origins of the X-men in general for a new universe. Being forced to stick to the same blueprint is boring tbh. I shudder to think of them doing another scene of young Magneto, unpopular opinion but it would then verge into Martha Wayne and the pearls territory. Also the fact that the fox films focused so heavily on the differing ideologies between Charles and Erik plus the adventures of Wolverine I think Feige and Co should focus on setting themselves apart. Mainly focus on the two characters done the most dirty. Storm and Cyclops.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the it would be exciting to change the origins of the X-men in general for a new universe. Being forced to stick to the same blueprint is boring tbh. I shudder to think of them doing another scene of young Magneto, unpopular opinion but it would then verge into Martha Wayne and the pearls territory. Also the fact that the fox films focused so heavily on the differing ideologies between Charles and Erik plus the adventures of Wolverine I think Feige and Co should focus on setting themselves apart. Mainly focus on the two characters done the most dirty. Storm and Cyclops.

Wolverine is the most popular X-Man. He's going to get the most focus. His own solo films. Appearances everywhere.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Replacing the Holocaust with one of Dr. Doom's dastardly deeds or some shit would be in poor taste. I really doubt they would consider using a fictional atrocity.

I mean, using a real one is bad for other reasons. Honestly, they might just radicalize him without an atrocity. I think that's fine too. And this is Disney.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It doesn't really carry the same weight. The fact Magneto went through that shit is how he got warped in the way he did. He's part supremacist, part revolutionary, and all of it because of the insane shit he went through and is threatened with again by non-mutants.

Now, that I think about it, there it is. They experimented on him, gave him an incomplete version of the super soldier formula as they were trying to develop a perfected version for the Red Skull. It ties him directly into the birth of the Marvel Universe, connecting him directly to everything that came before. Not only that, but given what we saw of those who took the serum in "The Falcon and The Winter Soldier", it would also help audiences understand how someone with his background could become a supremacist himself. That and it would very easily explain his slowed aging process.

The only issue remaining would be Xavier himself.

Personally I would keep them the same age and Xavier dead. You could incorporate him as a concious type character like jiminy Cricket or Ben in Umbrella Acadamy or Mal in Inception

Then have Storm or another Character running the school

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I think my issue with that is that it removes the personal element of him experiencing the horrors of a concentration camp as a child, so it makes him way less easy to empathise with.

I never considered Magneto an empathetic villain. A tragic villain? Yes but not one easy to empathize with.

I'm not sure empathy is essential for Magneto's character. With his comic's origin, I saw him as taking personal trauma and horror and channeling that into hatred and anger.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Maybe I'm comiting hersey: early twenties Eric JR who takes over for gramps? Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch already aren't his kids and just "magic" so they don't have to worry about that

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
People are really really really over complicating the mutant thing.

Teenage mutants are popping up everywhere. They manifested like 10 years ago as well but went dark (Xavier or Magneto snatched up the ones who didn't die or go into hiding).

But we're getting new mutants now.

Don't need any multiverse. The creators probably laughing at people over complicating it.

BUT WHERE WAS BEAK WHEN ULTRON ATTACKED

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean X-Men Evolution, for all of its warts, did a pretty good job of telling a story where mutants are suddenly outed to the world. It's really not that complicated.
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

Mutants are a secret... until they aren't, and the world has to deal with this. And that's a story worth telling.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
I've suggested making him Palestinian but they don't have the balls.
Don't think that would read the way you want it to.

The US government is entirely on board with everything Israel does and by extension so is the national media apparatus, therefore a Palestinian origin for Magneto would read as just yet another MENA villain from an industry that has had no other use for them other than as an existential threat to the US imperial project.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I mean X-Men Evolution, for all of its warts, did a pretty good job of telling a story where mutants are suddenly outed to the world. It's really not that complicated.
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

Mutants are a secret... until they aren't, and the world has to deal with this. And that's a story worth telling.
In fact that would work really well because since we have heard no hide nor hair of them until now. The number one media story/conspiracy theory will be "Why were they hiding? They aren't the first enhanced people we've encountered why would they keep hiding in a world of superheroes?"

Oct 8, 2019
There's a bunch of early mutants you can use to say that it slowed down or stopped the aging of characters like Magneto and Destiny. Inject Wolverine's blood in them, Sinister or Apocalypse slowed down their aging. Stuff like that. With Destiny its not like you can say "oh her precog made her age slowly" considering the implication that Destiny is the person Conan based the character of Irene Adler on.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
They are just going to change his origins. Especially if the casting headlines for Prof X I've been seeing every are true.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Magneto controls the entire electromagnetic spectrum; just bullshit up that his magnetic field control allows him to slow down his aging and call it a day.