• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Don't. Keep Magneto's origin, have him be an activist during the 60s, but be long since dead by the time of the current MCU. Then you can position him as a historical figure and radicalist who is a source of inspiration for current mutants.
Again, slowing down Magneto's aging could keep him around in the modern day. Although I do like your idea about having him be more involved in mutant activism throughout history.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Krakoa. The Five. He was resurrected in a younger body.
Have him either age extremely slowly due to a secondary mutation, or Hydra caught him and put him on ice for a couple of decades. Simple.

Honestly, a Magneto who lived through the Holocaust only to watch the world learn NOTHING from it over the next 70 years would be a pretty horrifying villain.
How would he even be a villain, then? As long as he still seriously anti-Nazi, seems like he'll be doing more to make the world a better place than basically any of our current leaders.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
changing his holocaust backstory would be a huge mistake

I can't envision a scenario where they'd do that, certainly not in any mainline MCU movie where for the most part they tend to use the most standard versions of characters, especially the more prominent ones. Maybe some off-shoot or What If? story can switch things up but Magneto's backstory is like the entire point of the character.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There are other lh two choices:

1. Update his origin to make it contemporary so he could have easily grown up in the MCU timeline.

2. Multi-verse merging of a existing universe, which is easily done with all the recent shenanigans.

You can not have his original origin and say he has been here the entire time and no one noticed. Even if you add slow aging to his powerset somehow.

His entire character is about taking immediate and world shaking action to secure a future for his people. Him staying in the shadows for this long would go against everything his character is.

People might have noticed and just considered him an terrorist or bogeyman. Before the advent of The Avengers it would have been pretty smart to keep your powers under wraps, but he still could have used them subtly. In fact, the first movie could deal with him tired of hiding and going public with large displays of power.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People might have noticed and just considered him an terrorist or bogeyman. Before the advent of The Avengers it would have been pretty smart to keep your powers under wraps, but he still could have used them subtly. In fact, the first movie could deal with him tired of hiding and going public with large displays of power.

Which is why you can just have him get captured by Hydra during the war and put in containment. He was released after Hydra fell. Solved.
No you can't, because if he existed so did all mutants and the idea they all stayed under the radar just doesn't work.

All they need to do is multi-verse it and they can merge them in with all their origins intact.

Not sure why people are against that, it literally solves every issue and they have set it up perfectly.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think updating the origin is good since it would be taking away a prominent Jewish character and important allegories, I would go with slow aging

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Have him either age extremely slowly due to a secondary mutation, or Hydra caught him and put him on ice for a couple of decades. Simple.

Honestly, a Magneto who lived through the Holocaust only to watch the world learn NOTHING from it over the next 70 years would be a pretty horrifying villain.
Well that's just about perfect.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I don't read comics, or really know anything about the character beyond the Fox films, but how important is that specific origin story to the character? Could they not update it to something more modern?

Its not like recent history is short of tragic events they could pull from.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's just about perfect.
It's not, because if he existed then other mutants did and them being a secret this long doesn't work.

Multi-verse fixes it instantly and is fully set up.

Time travel/multiverse shenanigans.

Make the X-Men from the 60s.
Yep.

We have all we need set up to keep everything about the core of their designs intact.

I don't think updating the origin is good since it would be taking away a prominent Jewish character and important allegories, I would go with slow aging
Doesn't make sense, imo, see above.

Why not multi-verse? Fixes all issues.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought too.

My second thought was that MCU wouldn't want to get "political." (They wouldn't want to offend anyone with facts and history.) So I'm going to assume Magnito will have a new origin.

I don't think they'd rewrite his origin that much. He's one of the few jewish comic book characters and the fact that he is a holocaust survivor adds to his character, rewriting all of that would be incredibly insulting, more so than say... white washing the Ancient One in Doctor Strange.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

How would he even be a villain, then? As long as he still seriously anti-Nazi, seems like he'll be doing more to make the world a better place than basically any of our current leaders.
This. Magneto doesn't play as a villain anymore and that's something the comics realised a while ago. If the character appears in the MCU they're more likely to be an anti-hero. A character we're meant to root for but who sometimes has extreme measures.

The same thing happened over in DC with Poison Ivy.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pull the X-Men + Magneto & The Brotherhood out of their universe into the MCU at a different time period. Say ... 30/40 years later?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm guessing mutants will be from an alt dimension/timeline (how else were they furtive all this time) so it's a non issue.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You could do some Hydra having him on ice shit like the Winter Soldiers in Cap 2 and 3
To add to this: you can link him being frozen back to Hydra's experiments on Wanda and Pietro. Have it be like they identified the X Gene back in the 40s in Erik and are trying to find more people with it. They find the Maximoffs, the gene is dormant, and they perform the experiments with the scepter that activate the gene.

You now have Erik in the MCU and retconned the Maximoffs to be mutants. From there you can have Erik be like a symbolic father to them (or I guess just Wanda at the moment).

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some magical thing happens and all mutants from another universe (including Magneto) will come to this universe and that magic(!) affects their ages. lol

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'd love to see this 👀

That's really stretching the term "villain."

Just have him go crazy from drugs and turn New York City into a giant oven as vengeance for what he experienced. That, uh…worked (???) for Grant Morrison.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I never get the update his origin takes, just say he ages slower. I can't imagine taking Magneto and just giving him another origin or a more recent genocide. I'd say he's one of the few untouchables. Even a 100 years from now he should have the same origin.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Again, slowing down Magneto's aging could keep him around in the modern day. Although I do like your idea about having him be more involved in mutant activism throughout history.
A part of the reason I'm hesitant about having Magneto around is that Marvel Studios are going to want to distance themselves from Fox. Despite the flaws of those films, they nailed their depictions of both Professor X and Magneto twice. Once with Stewart and McKellen, and again with McAvoy and Fassbender.

If you're Marvel Studios, do you really want to be third at-bat for those characters? Do you really want to be in a position where you're coming in third place? I think they still probably have to do Professor X, but Magneto? Maybe he can just be a background or historical figure.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Nazis put him on ice when things got rough, he finally got thawed out. Bam, magneto.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
In X-Men Evolution, they had an episode to address this. Basically he was as geriatric as you could get, but he had a machine, powered by Logan, that would de-age and rejuvenate him for a time.

For a movie series that had sorcerers, god's, purple space men using the power of space rocks to do population control, I don't understand why is it so hard for people to flex the imagination just a bit, to come up with possiblities.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Slowed aging. Surviving the holocaust and seeing mankind remain the same is basically the core of his entire character.
Ywh sure. A huge part is him seeing his people, mutants, again treated like his people were in the holocaust when he was powerless and could do nothing.

He can't have just aged slowly as the idea him and all other mutants just weren't noticed doesn't work.

Him being frozen or whatever means all other mutants weren't noticed still which doesn't work.

Having them all cross from another timeline is not only perfectly set up by the recent films, but allows everything about them to remain intact.

It's the most obvious answer and, imo, it's clearly where they're headed.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
No you can't, because if he existed so did all mutants and the idea they all stayed under the radar just doesn't work.

All they need to do is multi-verse it and they can merge them in with all their origins intact.

Not sure why people are against that, it literally solves every issue and they have set it up perfectly.

They're probably just going to be a few of them before the snap. Mags, X, Wolvie, and the OG Five plus some random baddies. The snap activated the mutation on the X-Gen and some Krakoa shenanigans means they've been out of sight

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not against it, I'm just not as bothered by the question of where they were the whole time as most people. Maybe people did notice. SHIELD has had dealings with enhanced individuals since back in the Peggy Carter days. Not hard to chalk a mutant here or there up with those people. And depending on how long Charles and Cerebro have been around covering for mutant activity, it's not hard to imagine at all.

As Feige said when the show's directors asked if Kamala and her family survived the snap, "Don't worry about it."

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For those saying "multiverse" you should know that
mutants are a confirmed thing in the MCU with no multiverse shinanigans

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against it, I'm just not as bothered by the question of where they were the whole time as most people. Maybe people did notice. SHIELD has had dealings with enhanced individuals since back in the Peggy Carter days. Not hard to chalk a mutant here or there up with those people. And depending on how long Charles and Cerebro have been around covering for mutant activity, it's not hard to imagine at all.

As Feige said when the show's directors asked if Kamala and her family survived the snap, "Don't worry about it."
The point is that there are characters like Magneto, Professor X, Wolverine, etc... who were all tied to not only historic points but were actively involved as part of their character growth in key moments.

Multi-verse fixes all of this without any issues, any other way causes unnecessary issues when they have just set up the perfect solution.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
these movies have like time travel and magic portals and shit, they can do whatever they want and all you can really say about it is "okay sure i guess"

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
A part of the reason I'm hesitant about having Magneto around is that Marvel Studios are going to want to distance themselves from Fox. Despite the flaws of those films, they nailed their depictions of both Professor X and Magneto twice. Once with Stewart and McKellen, and again with McAvoy and Fassbender.

If you're Marvel Studios, do you really want to be third at-bat for those characters? Do you really want to be in a position where you're coming in third place? I think they still probably have to do Professor X, but Magneto? Maybe he can just be a background or historical figure.

Magneto is one of the most popular characters in western comics. No way they just limit him to a background character.

It's true he's been played great in the past but there's no reason that shouldn't continue and also no reason it should be viewed as some competition. Obviously you want good actors and decent writing but Magneto is just plain compelling as a character and hard to really fuck up (though of course it happens).

Oct 25, 2017
Slowed aging. Surviving the holocaust and seeing mankind remain the same is basically the core of his entire character.

Not only that but we are seeing the last holocaust survivors pass away from old age. Holocaust denialism is gonna rise so having such an iconic character like Magneto personify that experience is important. And like you said its the core of his entire character.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Slow aging or you could somewhat copy Hyoubu from Zettai Karen Children (something like he was shot in the head and he uses his power to keep the bullet in there from causing more damage while the damage already done made his body weirdly stop again.)

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017

Yes you can just say hydra/nazi experimented on him and that woke up his latent mutant gene. Then have them freeze him like they did winter soldier. It's very easy to come up with a scenario where only a few mutants walked the earth. Apocalypse, magneto, wolverine, professor x, namor. I mean in older time periods people would just think they're freaks or gods or whatever. No one would know about genetics and anything like that. If you want to introduce newer mutants you can just say professor x was hiding them with his powers. I don't want magneto to come from another multiverse because I think that cheapens his backstory personally but that's just me.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

sdsdazzx52kxf.png

Always someone around to stop change from happening.

Storywise though, I see the MCU xmen as absolutely 1.) Being a Moira X story and 2.) Being a Krakoa story. So who cares if he's old, they're basically immortal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying "multiverse" you should know that
mutants are a confirmed thing in the MCU with no multiverse shinanigans
Yes, they are starting to be noticed now. The issue is the specific mutants who are tied to historic points and keeping their origins while saying g they were here the whole time creates needless issues when they could just cross over with all rhey set up.

Mutants can exist in this timeline, maybe activated by the snap or whatever, and then bring over the X-Men universe to merge with it.

Solves all issues, perfectly set up already.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Taking away his holocaust origins would be a mistake, especially since there's plenty of random story bullshit to explain why he would be around in the 2020s

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Magneto is one of the most popular characters in western comics. No way they just limit him to a background character.

It's true he's been played great in the past but there's no reason that shouldn't continue and also no reason it should be viewed as some competition. Obviously you want good actors and decent writing but Magneto is just plain compelling as a character and hard to really fuck up (though of course it happens).
You're probably right, but all I'm saying is if it does turn out that Magneto isn't going to be a thing in the MCU, or have a severely reduced presence from usual, I wouldn't be that surprised.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that there are characters like Magneto, Professor X, Wolverine, etc... who were all tied to not only historic points but were actively involved as part of their character growth in key moments.

k, but maybe they weren't. I'd prefer they come from this universe than to hear a dozen shades of "well I tried to stop the JFK assassination in my universe".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can just say hydra/nazi experimented on him and that woke up his latent mutant gene. Then have them freeze him like they did winter soldier. It's very easy to come up with a scenario where only a few mutants walked the earth. Apocalypse, magneto, wolverine, professor x, namor. I mean in older time periods people would just think they're freaks or gods or whatever. No one would know about genetics and anything like that. If you want to introduce newer mutants you can just say professor x was hiding them with his powers. I don't want magneto to come from another multiverse because I think that cheapens his backstory personally but that's just me.
All needless and creates all the issues above when multiverse is a perfect solution already.

It wouldn't cheapen his backstory at all to come from a universe that had the holocaust exactly as it was in ours. It would allow for the rest of his rise through history to be intact which would keep it intact.

The idea of him being here but being frozen or activated later or whatever would cheapen it, imo.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Yeah I agree with this. Magneto's motivation is based on the evils and bigotry and genocide of this world (as in, WWII is assumed to have happened to the same conclusion, just with super soldiers and hydra etc). Specifically the Holocaust. Having him teleport in from elsewhere would just cheapen it when there's already multiple characters still hanging around from WWII for one fantasy reason or another. Having said that I just dislike overuse of 'multiverse' when it's just used to cheapen character death and ignore consequences of major story arcs and plot points.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017

Yeah, I know the MCU likely won't lean into "political commentary" of this level but it would be great to see him EXTRA "humans are useless" given what happened in America (and the rest of the world) the past few years especially.

To the OP's point, I think the secondary mutation thing would work fine. He'd be at least 90 if we follow the Holocaust origin, but could say he ages at half speed or whatever so he's in his 50s instead.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Fassbender and go with the excuse that certain mutations can have a side effect of slower aging like with Wolverine.