• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bioware has up until this point been a prolific developer of single-player RPGs. For inexplicable reasons, Mass Effect was sacrificed to a B-team that made the mess known as Andromeda, while the A-Team went on to cut their teeth making a Destiny-like multiplayer action-RPG.

As a regular consumer of Bioware single-player RPGs, what am I to do?

Scenario 1 - Root for the failure of Anthem.
Consequence - Bioware fails and won't make another game again.

Scenario 2 - Root for the success of Anthem.
Consequence - Bioware succeeds and won't make another single-player game again.

Scenario 3 - Anthem is a mild success.
Consequence - EA has no room for tepid responses. Anthem is shelved, Bioware is closed or pressured to make something else following "latest trends".

I have no good alternatives here. To be brutally honest, I hope it fails if for no other reason that Bioware becomes a cautionary tale about abandoning what you are good at. However, what if, Bioware themselves, are honestly and truly tired of making single-player RPGs? If that desire is at the individual-level, that person should leave to work for another company. Developers should stick to what they are good at, try new things occasionally, but never deviate from what makes them great.

So again, I hope Anthem fails, because Bioware needs to return to what they are best at. Hopefully, they survive the experience and return to games that they are really good at making and that I enjoy playing.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
You fire or pray for some of their most brillant minds to leave the studio and create a new one.

In the meantime you're stuck with, if Anthem fails = rip Bioware, if it doesn't = Rip anything not similar to Anthem.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Open up your own studio. Start poaching their best people.

Edit: Let us know how that business model works for you.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
They announced Dragon Age 4. I just hope they live long enough to make it. :(

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Convince 10-15 million gamers to stop buying MP games with extended microtransaction support and to instead pay upfront for $80 SP-only RPGs.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Devs make the game they want. Stop complaining about a dev not making what you want. You are not their personnal client, and the teams working on those games have minds and needs of their own (not making the same thing over and over).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we wait and see how this one pans out. Hoping for a project hundreds of people are passionately working on for your own benefit is pretty shitty though

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
We don't, EA have been clear about not valuing sp games, especially high budget sp games.

Edit unless you can add some service mt stuff.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
You don't. The old bioware is dead. We have to get over it. Either enjoy what they put out or move on I guess.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go clutch my copy of Jade Empire and cry.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really anything you could do.

As you mentioned, Anthem doing really well or really poorly could tell EA: "keep making Anthem games until they stop selling and we'll shut you down" or "we'll just shut you down"
Anthem doing ok would probably be the best result but even then doesn't really guarantee anything.

Imagine they'll get on to make single player games, tho. Dragon Age at least is coming

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bioware has multiple studios. We know somebody somewhere is working on Dragon Age (albeit presumably a very early build) and Casey Hudson has basically confirmed another Mass Effect is in early development somewhere.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
ERA is fantastic sometimes

We have people always complaning when a studio sticks to the same genre or type of game
When a studio changed focus with one game in over 20 years of the same genre, IT IS NOT GOOD NOW, WE WANT OUR SP GAMES BACK.

Also, DA4 is coming, so this thread makes zero sense.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Yes EA is the publisher that seems the least interested in traditional single player games, out of all of them. So that doesn't really bode well for us traditional Bioware fans. The only way is some sort of buyout.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Devs make the game they want. Stop complaining about a dev not making what you want. You are not their personnal client, and the teams working on those games have minds and needs of their own (not making the same thing over and over).

More accurately, Devs make the games that publishers will fund. They usually try to make a game they want to that also checks that box.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You get a job making tea and coffee at EA. You keep making them teas and coffees the best they can ever be. You keep at it long enough and maybe you'll get a promotion to the canteen. From there, you just keep climbing that corporate ladder until you're at the top. Then when you're at the top you email BioWare: "yo, make me a single player game please. Thnks"

Simple, actually.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they've released a teaser for their next (presumably) single-player game within the past two months

I hope their succeed in their current endevours and going forward so they can continue to work on things they're interested in making.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1 and 3 probably mean BioWare no longer exists, especially 1.

DA4 is coming, though judging by the last 2, they'd better knock it out of the park.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

We have people always complaning when a studio sticks to the same genre or type of game
When a studio changed focus with one game in over 20 years of the same genre, IT IS NOT GOOD NOW, WE WANT OUR SP GAMES BACK.

It's almost like individuals think and want different things.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Scenario 4 - Root for the success of Anthem
Consequence: accept that Bioware doesn't make games for you anymore and move on with your life

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Has ERA ever complained for a company that makes great single player games to make a multiplayer only experience? I can't think of this ever happening.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
How petty is it to want a game to fail because a company is doing something different that you don't like? This kind of brand "loyalty" irks me the hell out.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
I think Anthem marks the start of a new era for them, for better or worse. There's clearly a distinct template that Bioware have been working towards on an incremental basis, and making a multiplayer focused game that's meant to take on a large chunk of that market speaks volumes about the kind of studio EA want them to become.

On the flip side, we still have the next Dragon Age game to see if they've still "got it". I'd love for that game to be amazing and prove that they can still make killer single-player, story focused RPGs with mass appeal, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for it either.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Chill and realize not everything in the world revolves around you so if one studio doesn't make games you want anymore it is not the end of the everything as you know it and people's jobs, even those people making games not made for you, are more important than your likes and dislikes for video games

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The next dragon age was announced wasn't it? Seems like anthem doing decently well is our best hope to seeing that come to fruition.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What you can do as an individual is stop getting emotionally attached to companies. Try to accept that the industry has changed and that games (including maybe you) have contributed greatly to getting it to this place.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Wait like a year for Dragon Age 4? What a dumb, reactionary thread.
Also EA aren't going to shutter Bioware because of a single dud game, if Anthem doesn't do well we'll still get Dragon Age 4 and probably see a Mass Effect revival or something.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
It's almost like individuals think and want different things.

Sure, but freaking about because BioWare made a multiplayer-only game after decades of sp experiences and one MMO is embarassing, especially when we all know that a SP game is coming from BioWare.

Do we know which team and how much $$ is going towards that effort in comparison to previous entries? No we don't. It could very well be another Andromeda debacle.

Andromeda studio is no more (was merged with EA Motive) , BioWare has two studios, Edmonton and Austin, they are both working on Anthem, but i suppose searching for infos is too hard and we have to repeat the usual stuff.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Andrew Wilson deploys his golden parachute and not a moment before that

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
you buy a decent single player RPG from another company thus sending the message that you want more single player RPGs? I mean it worked when people payed attention to Don Bluth instead of Disney right?

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
You stop overreacting to one game and chill? It's not like they haven't mentioned dragonage is in the works, and something like mass effect is a series they can always reboot n go back to.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty pathetic. Anthem isn't even out and yet you're already hoping it will fail because you think it get Bioware to make games that you want. This is despite them already making Dragon Age Inquisition for this generation and announcing that a new one is on the way. I am assuming you left out those details because it doesn't support your poorly thought out thread.