• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Race as a concept was created to push people down the social ladder, so as long as the concept exists we'll have racism. Perhaps the solution is to just interbreed until it's too hard to generalize on the things we do now. That's roughly why race replaced family lineage as a primary class system in the last few hundred years, but even that didn't totally go away, we just don't care that much.

Nov 1, 2017
One thing that might help some of the youth is if we treated these racist assholes that impart their toxic viewpoint onto their children as the abusive parents that they are. Even then, you have to hope the kids don't succumb to the parents sob story of how they are just misunderstood. It's hard to come up with policies to make people stop treating others like shit if they don't want to. Only really to make it harder for them to put thoughts to action and mitigate damage that they have done.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this another one of these American based threads? Cause unfortunately racism is a worldwide issue. It isn't a "white" issue, it is a people issue. Racism is a vastly larger problem than what is just going on inside America. This fact only serves to make the outlook more bleak however. I honestly have no idea how humans as a whole would be able eliminate a hate as ingrained as racism.
Yes, racism is a worldwide issue. Yes, any race of people can be racist. Now that we've got that out of the way;

White people have been and continue to be the biggest beneficiaries of the separation and inequality of racism. White people are, as a whole, generally insulated from racism and don't have to question their belonging or acceptance in society. They (you?) are racially accepted. Whenever the hierarchy has been or is challenged, white people are the people who view it as a challenge to their own identity and fight back tooth and nail to erase the progress that's been made. The experience of others is denied, argued and minimized in order to maintain the racial hierarchy and maintain an ingrained advantage. So we can pretend like the racial dynamics at play in America are a tiny part of the equation but it comes across as a trivialization of the reality of our current societal structures and how they're distorted to marginalize the reality of the situation by certain people.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What does the majority of White America dismantling racism look like? Realistically?
Realistically it doesn't look like anything because I don't think White America has the moral fortitude to do anything about racism.

In some weird utopia where there's some psychic collective awakening and white people decide to actually work with people of color, it would be returning wealth towards affected communities of color that was systematically stolen/wiped out, such as through significant taxes for education and businesses for black and brown folks. It would be a reformation of our law and justice system whereby it's impossible for Nazis to practice policing, fines and punishments for petty crimes/broken windows policies are decreaed, cops are actually punished and jailed for egregious cases of anti-black bias, and more. It would be a cultural and educational shift whereby confederate monuments, flags, and other memorabilia are torn down and not sold, and our schooling teaches a more thorough and damning overview of America's past that doesn't seek to glorify colonialism while glossing over atrocities. Also, white people could fucking stop entertaining the Republican Party.

There's lots of things I'd like White America to do to stymie the centuries-long fuckery that has been white supremacy. But they're not going to do it, so. *shrug*

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
first black people gotta get their reparations

then old racist white people gotta die and we got teach these little white kids that racism isnt cool.

basically even if we get started with this racism wouldn't die until way after my lifetime and im only in my 20's smh

Feb 1, 2018
There's no "fix"- it's human nature, based in fear/a survival tactic back when we lived as nomadic tribes. We're hardwired to discriminate and establish "others" and it's always been weaponized and will continue to be till we breed or evolve out of it

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no "fix"- it's human nature, based in fear/a survival tactic back when we lived as nomadic tribes. We're hardwired to discriminate and establish "others" and it's always been weaponized and will continue to be till we breed or evolve out of it
It's not human nature tho. You learn to be racist it not apart of our biological makeup.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Id rather have a government that gives the disenfranchised and abused victims restorative justice and reparations than fix racists. If racists continue to have a problem, then the same government can punish them accordingly

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way you can fix racism. Even if we all congealed into the same race, people would then segregate a portion of the population as 'others' (e.g., the Irish).

Education, good parenting, and bringing awareness of issues with those in other cultures would at least make people aware of their biases against people of different races.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
Yes, racism is a worldwide issue. Yes, any race of people can be racist. Now that we've got that out of the way;

White people have been and continue to be the biggest beneficiaries of the separation and inequality of racism. White people are, as a whole, generally insulated from racism and don't have to question their belonging or acceptance in society. They (you?) are racially accepted. Whenever the hierarchy has been or is challenged, white people are the people who view it as a challenge to their own identity and fight back tooth and nail to erase the progress that's been made. The experience of others is denied, argued and minimized in order to maintain the racial hierarchy and maintain an ingrained advantage. So we can pretend like the racial dynamics at play in America are a tiny part of the equation but it comes across as a trivialization of the reality of our current societal structures and how they're distorted to marginalize the reality of the situation by certain people.

Yeah ok, you just redefined what I was saying. That this thread is basically based on an American viewpoint, which is fine. But shit man, racism is certainly not relegated to white people. All I was saying is this is a worldwide issue, it is a human being issue. Some parts of me believe it is a learned action, but another part believes it is inherently ingrained in human psychology. Whether it is a holdout from way way back in the day, a tool for survival between tribes or something I don't know.

Across the world racism has benefitted those with greater power. The Myanmar military and Buddhist extremist and their treatment of the Rohingya. The Khmer Rouge genocides and their forcing of ancient Cham Muslim minorities to adopt the Khmer language and customs. China hilariously plays on exactly what you describe and portrays racism as a white western way of behaving and uses that propaganda to dilute it's own horrible racism in its society. In recent years a member of Bangladash parliament (cant remember his name off hand) referred to Congolese people as "uncivilized black people".

I could go on and on and on. And in every one of those cases the more powerful element conducting the racist behaviours are the one who benefitted from it. We here in the west hear of white racism and all that because this is our environment and what we are constantly exposed to. It is simultaneously disturbing and immensely saddening to think that this isn't just a white issue, it is a humanity issue as a whole, because it makes the issue look even more impossible.to fix than it already is.

Jun 10, 2018
I can't tell if the users ITT casually promoting miscegenation are doing so out of an earnest belief in the practice or of willful ignorance to it's racially charged intentions.

People do realize "blending" is done to supposedly breed out lesser genes - namely black ones? Maybe y'all should read up on history before promoting a nefarious practice.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Everything goes back to the nature vs nurture debate lmao. If anyone here is in the anthropology or psychology fields I'd love to hear their opinions

Name a culture on earth that isnt racist in some way
You got that push back because your original claim was that it's hardwired into people, strongly implying a biological link. If you don't have evidence of this then you should probably try to find some, or else try to clarify that you meant something else.

Anthropology and psychology are not going to be able to provide a biological source for racism, as that's not their purview and it doesn't exist. You might want to ask for a neurology expert to weigh-in if you're in doubt.

Just because most societies exhibit some racist cultures does not mean that all cultures are racist. Many environments have fostered cultures where competition is encouraged, and sometimes this competition manifests as racism (if "race" is a favorable factor for dividing people within that environment). Sometimes it manifests as sexism. Sometimes it manifests as tribalism. Sometimes it manifests as classism or feudalism. Often times there are multiple axes of competition. But that doesn't mean that humans are inherently racist. Only that we inherit an environment where racism is allowed or encouraged to thrive.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
A lot of it is so indoctrinated into people that I feel it's not even surmountable until a few more generations out. I know that sounds defeated but if the people in power now won't do anything about it the only hope is the future.

I think some no-brainer laws like they have in Germany against Nazi anything but in regards to slavery would probably be a great first step to combat racism but then you have people in the south propagating that the civil war had nothing to do with slaves and plenty of confederate flags all over. I live in PA and I see the fucking flag all over, something my state wasn't even a apart of.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Blended communities and shared interactions.

One side of my family tree are sea-faring nomads that were heavily discriminated against throughout history -- literally, we were seen as pirates and prostitutes and such. It took a World War, post-war reconstruction, re-integration of populations, as well as some Cold War anti-communist colonial propaganda to forge a new identity for this community.

I'm talking about Hong Kong, of course. We went from four distinct ethnic groups and societies to one rather homogeneous community. And over time, further bridges were made to the SE Asian community too because of our day-to-day mutual struggles.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Well we have to convince white people that white supremacy is something that ultimately harms them. Which will be difficult as it is all many of them have.

Of course, we would then find another arbitrary reason to split up into tribes.

The only way I see humans truly come together is through some external, existential threat like aliens or something. Though even that might not do it if climate change is any indication.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
How do we fix racism?

Here's a better series of questions for you. How willing are the white majority to undo so many laws and aspects of society that make things better for them?

Schools
Housing
Criminal jusitice system
Employment rates
Entertainment
The tech sector
News
Fashion
Beauty standards
Travel
Politics
Gender & racial pay disparities
Reparations
Classism

And mind you these are the aspects of society that came to in my head. How willing are ya'll or would they be to ripping apart what's wrong and help make it equal.

Keep in mind we have lawmakers and people that see fixing this is literally evil. Or rather the don't give a damn and want to have a societal edge.

The real answer is pfft nah. If ya'll aren't willing to fix crap you created...no amount of yeah we need to live together and be friends magic power will fix a broken society.

Last edited:

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Moderates/centrists have to stop being comfortable with racism/racists and actually listen to people when they call it out instead of "both sides"ing and tone policing

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know what the solution is, but I'm about 100% sure that it's not being told that the onus is on marginalized minorities to coddle their racist as fuck oppressors in the hope that that will somehow magically make them see us as human beings, and not less than animals (Protip: racists view their pets with more love, respect, and humanity than they do their fellow humans who just happen to be a different ethnicity than they are).

It's not up to us to teach those that would rather see us dead or imprisoned for the color of our skin empathy.

I've seen with my own eyes black people (among other PoC), be as cordial, polite, and kind to racists, and still be treated with disdain, condescension, and vitriol.

Racists have to change themselves. No amount of coddling is going to do that for them. Even calling them out on it often has them double down on their hatred. Ultimately, there is a moment of realization that a racist must have, and that requires a lot of self reflection and an ability to look inward at themselves and the reasons why they feel the way they do.

I've mentioned it before, but I grew up in the Midwest. As a young black man, I learned about racism from a very early age, but even more so, I grew up on FOX news, and a conservative family that harbored some pretty hateful and disgusting views about non-blacks and other marginalized groups (but even I was prone to holding racist views about my own people; how fucked is that?). I was homophobic. I was transphobic, I was islamiphobic. I never outwardly treated the few people in those groups that I met in the Midwest any differently, but it was still there and in me.

It wasn't until I moved out of that environment, and started to interact with those that I held racist and phobic views of that I began to question what I was told my whole life by FOX news, and reinforced by those around me. But even more so, it wasn't until I acknowledged my own bigotry and racism, until I realized my own hypocrisy in that I was a staunch advocate for the civil rights of black people, but completely closed off and ignorant to the struggles of other marginalized groups that I began to change my views.

Like, who was I to, on one hand, desire for me and my people to be seen as human beings deserving of basic rights and humane treatment, and on the other, shut out those same struggles of those that wanted the same thing, but weren't a part of my own group. It was disgusting. I began to challenge my entire belief system and upbringing. Applying my views on my struggles as a black man to the struggles of immigrants, the LGBTQ community, women, indigenous peoples, etc etc. Finding the commonality and the compassion. The unity.

And it opened my eyes, and I changed. It wasn't the oppressed extending an olive branch to me, or trying to explain why I was a piece of shit. That wasn't for them to do in the first place. It was on ME, and for me, to realize that dark, shitty part about myself, exercise that empathy that I always felt I had for my fellow man, and work to become a more empathetic person to others, not just those like me. And what do you know? That shame and self reflection worked. The onus was on me, and me alone.

So forgive me if I don't subscribe to the newsletter for oppressed groups having to contort themselves to make racists and bigots and sexists feel comfortable enough to address their own shittiness, and then, somehow, accept that they are, indeed shitty, thanks to the kind words and acceptance expressed by the very people they don't see as human? Nah, that thinking is a very special form of victim blaming designed to not actually have to take responsibility for their part in the systemic oppression of marginalized groups, and therefore they're robbed of their need to self reflect and grow as a person.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Realistically it doesn't look like anything because I don't think White America has the moral fortitude to do anything about racism.

In some weird utopia where there's some psychic collective awakening and white people decide to actually work with people of color, it would be returning wealth towards affected communities of color that was systematically stolen/wiped out, such as through significant taxes for education and businesses for black and brown folks. It would be a reformation of our law and justice system whereby it's impossible for Nazis to practice policing, fines and punishments for petty crimes/broken windows policies are decreaed, cops are actually punished and jailed for egregious cases of anti-black bias, and more. It would be a cultural and educational shift whereby confederate monuments, flags, and other memorabilia are torn down and not sold, and our schooling teaches a more thorough and damning overview of America's past that doesn't seek to glorify colonialism while glossing over atrocities. Also, white people could fucking stop entertaining the Republican Party.

There's lots of things I'd like White America to do to stymie the centuries-long fuckery that has been white supremacy. But they're not going to do it, so. *shrug*

Agree with most of that. It's amazing that Confederate leaders are treated as heroes when they literally betrayed and committed treason so they could continue treating fellow humans as property. If anything some of those statues/monuments belong in museums to teach future generations just how awful humans can be. Triple agree on law enforcement, the worst thing there is we need a more diverse police force but minorities (with good reason) don't want to be anywhere near law enforcement so there's a big hurdle there.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with most of that. It's amazing that Confederate leaders are treated as heroes when they literally betrayed and committed treason so they could continue treating fellow humans as property. If anything some of those statues/monuments belong in museums to teach future generations just how awful humans can be. Triple agree on law enforcement, the worst thing there is we need a more diverse police force but minorities (with good reason) don't want to be anywhere near law enforcement so there's a big hurdle there.
You would have to start rooting out the mechanisms that allow law enforcement to be overrun with Nazis and 4chan dweebs, such as having meaningful third-party watchdogs to report bad officers, severe punishments for obstruction of justice and destruction of evidence, and a populous more willing to jail these people when they inevitably kill an unarmed person again.

Again, this is the problem with racism: The ball is in white people's court, but they want to do fuck all about it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't fix it, but you can mitigate it.

A sizeable chunk of racists are like that because it got passed down/learned, and that's the type of racism you can feasibly deal with, but the racism that stems not from genuine belief in what you're saying but from the goal of getting OTHER people to believe what you're saying as a means of maintaining control? That's not so easily handled. It's like deprogramming a cultist vs deprogramming the cult leader who made the cult to scam people out of their money. And unfortunately that's the root of it.

The best thing you can do is make sure your kids are raised in a diverse environment but also teach them to not be dicks, because if you don't get that 2nd part down then the first doesn't matter.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know what the solution is, but I'm about 100% sure that it's not being told that the onus is on marginalized minorities to coddle their racist as fuck oppressors in the hope that that will somehow magically make them see us as human beings, and not less than animals (Protip: racists view their pets with more love, respect, and humanity than they do their fellow humans who just happen to be a different ethnicity than they are).

It's not up to us to teach those that would rather see us dead or imprisoned for the color of our skin empathy.

I've seen with my own eyes black people (among other PoC), be as cordial, polite, and kind to racists, and still be treated with disdain, condescension, and vitriol.

Racists have to change themselves. No amount of coddling is going to do that for them. Even calling them out on it often has them double down on their hatred. Ultimately, there is a moment of realization that a racist must have, and that requires a lot of self reflection and an ability to look inward at themselves and the reasons why they feel the way they do.

I've mentioned it before, but I grew up in the Midwest. As a young black man, I learned about racism from a very early age, but even Moreno, I grew up on FOX news, and a conservative family that harbored some pretty hateful and disgusting views about non-blacks and other marginalized groups (but even I was prone to holding racist views about my own people; how fucked is that?). I was homophobic. I was transphobic, I was islamiphobic. I never outwardly treated the few people in those groups that I met in the Midwest any differently, but it was still there and in me.

It wasn't until I moved out of that environment, and started to interact with those that I held racist and phobic views of that I began to question what I was told my whole life by FOX news, and reinforced by those around me. But even more so, it wasn't until I acknowledged my own bigotry and racism, until I realized my own hypocrisy in that I was a staunch advocate for the civil rights of black people, but completely closed off and ignorant to the struggles of other marginalized groups that I began to change my views.

Like, who was I to, on one hand, desire for me and my people to be seen as human beings deserving of basic rights and humane treatment, and on the other, shut out those same struggles of those that wanted the same thing. It was disgusting. I began to challenge my entire belief system and upbringing. Applying my views on my struggles as a black man to the struggles of immigrants, the LGBTQ community, women, indigenous peoples, etc etc. Finding the commonality and the compassion. The unity.

And it opened my eyes, and I changed. It wasn't the oppressed extending an olive branch to me, or trying to explain why I was a piece of shit. That wasn't for them to do in the first place. It was on me, and for me, to realize that dark, shitty part about myself, exercise that empathy that I always felt I had for my fellow man, and work to become a more empathetic person to others, not just those like me. And what do you know? That shame and self reflection worked. The onus was on me, and me alone.

So forgive me if I don't subscribe to the newsletter for oppressed groups having to contort themselves to make racists and bigots and sexists feel comfortable enough to address their own shittiness, and then, somehow, accept that they are, indeed shitty, thanks to the kind words and acceptance expressed by the very people they don't see as human? Nah, that thinking is a very special form of victim blaming designed to not actually have to take responsibility for their part in the systemic oppression of marginalized groups, and therefore they're robbed of their need to self reflect and grow as a person.
Thanks for this

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Fight the sources of income inequality first. The huge driving factor behind racist thought is the idea that groups get better off at the expense of each other.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the propositions being thrown around here about revanchist justice against the oppressors would only end up having the opposite effect from the intended one if applied to the real world.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Require all individuals within their last 2 years of high school to travel abroad to a country where people are different from themselves both racially and culturally for a minimum of 3 months and up to a year. Sort of like a high school version of a year abroad program.

I think people who travel awaken to the world around them and are less likely to be so ignorant.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've mentioned it before, but I grew up in the Midwest. As a young black man, I learned about racism from a very early age, but even Moreno, I grew up on FOX news, and a conservative family that harbored some pretty hateful and disgusting views about non-blacks and other marginalized groups (but even I was prone to holding racist views about my own people; how fucked is that?). I was homophobic. I was transphobic, I was islamiphobic. I never outwardly treated the few people in those groups that I met in the Midwest any differently, but it was still there and in me.

Like, who was I to, on one hand, desire for me and my people to be seen as human beings deserving of basic rights and humane treatment, and on the other, shut out those same struggles of those that wanted the same thing. It was disgusting. I began to challenge my entire belief system and upbringing. Applying my views on my struggles as a black man to the struggles of immigrants, the LGBTQ community, women, indigenous peoples, etc etc. Finding the commonality and the compassion. The unity.

And it opened my eyes, and I changed. It wasn't the oppressed extending an olive branch to me, or trying to explain why I was a piece of shit. That wasn't for them to do in the first place. It was on me, and for me, to realize that dark, shitty part about myself, exercise that empathy that I always felt I had for my fellow man, and work to become a more empathetic person to others, not just those like me. And what do you know? That shame and self reflection worked. The onus was on me, and me alone.

White racists don't feel the need for that self-reflection, though. You realized that your beliefs were fucked because of the experiences you've had as a black person. White people will never make that connection on their own. They're blinded by their own privilege.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that the onus should be on marginalized groups or that they need to contort themselves to make bigots feel comfortable. I'm just pointing out that white racists will never go down the path of self-discovery that you traveled. Not without some sort of external influence.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Call it out when you see it, are around it , ect. I personally don't even joke about anything racial.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Fight the sources of income inequality first. The huge driving factor behind racist thought is the idea that groups get better off at the expense of each other.
But groups can get better off at the expense of others. It's not some farfetched untested idea with no basis in reality it's a historically proven fact.
Require all individuals in their last 2 years of high school to travel abroad to a country where people are different from themselves both racially and culturally for a minimum of 3 months and up to a year. Like a high school version of a year abroad program with other participating countries. I think people who travel awaken to the world around them and are less likely to be so ignorant.
I like that idea, so long as all the racist kids don't send their kids to Germany over and over, or some place so similar it'd be useless like the UK, Canada or Australia.

Really, everyone should leave the country at least once. I don't know if a high school program is the way to do it or if we should add something after high school that's maybe like the Peace Corps but is really designed just to take a kid out of their element for a year and expose them to something different. A lot of our problems, maybe not racism, but a lot of the ignorance as to what's possible with government would go away if people went to countries where it worked. 'Course, considering how many kids that'd be each year it'd be a challenge to keep the locals in each country to keep from getting tired at us sending our youth to them every year, lol.

My only real concerns with purposefully sending people abroad to get exposed to other people is that, we're somewhat offloading our issues onto other people. When we make it mandatory and stop making it a thing only interested parties do we're going to be sending a lot of pieces of shit abroad. Just how it is. We also run the risk of actually upsetting the host countries, reinforcing negative American stereotypes in their country and depending on how poorly some of these kids are received maybe reinforcing views our kids already had. Obviously, I think some of that can be mitigated on a national level by reciprocating, taking in as many kids as we send out, which should at least mean that after a few years communities around the world would get used to the idea and it wouldn't be an American only thing. But the bigger problem comes from what our true aim with this would be, if it's to combat racism there's little sense in sending young white kids to Germany, UK, Australia, Canada or some other countries. So you'd be cutting a lot of the well off and safe countries from the list right off the bat. On paper numerically there should still be enough countries around the world we could send our kids to but realistically how many would truly be different for them? You'd have to pick safe and developed countries, not to mention tolerant countries, Saudi Arabia may be technically safe but I sure as fuck wouldn't want my daughter to get sent there as a teen, and while I feel fine about visiting parts of the Middle East or Africa I don't know how far I'd trust their governments to protect my kids.

In reality I think it'd be better to send a kid abroad younger, before they themselves might be a threat to the host nation and at an age when they haven't already been given freedom and are more used to following adults orders. Course, good luck passing that in this country. You can get away with sending a parent's adult 18 year old abroad for a year but there'd be a lot of liability issues with sending an actual minor abroad.

I think the most doable scenario can be found in our own country. Why not send kids to different schools in the US for a year?

I also think that over time we need to gut a lot of these rural communities and grow our cities for efficiencies sake. Assuming we don't devolve into eco-fascism around the same time it'd be a necessary chance to do some real hard but necessary things like moving population around. But, again, who knows if we get to that point, if we do we've already gone through some real tough shit as a people and I don't know what the country would look like at that point.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if the users ITT casually promoting miscegenation are doing so out of an earnest belief in the practice or of willful ignorance to it's racially charged intentions.

People do realize "blending" is done to supposedly breed out lesser genes - namely black ones? Maybe y'all should read up on history before promoting a nefarious practice.
They're more referring to the inevitability that if humanity exists long enough recessive genes will be rarely expressed, which would mean almost everyone would be brown eyed, brown skinned in the end.

Of course, that's exactly the type of inevitable thing that racists get scared about and worry that they'll be erased like having your great grandkids have a different skin tone than you is a big deal.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
White racists don't feel the need for that self-reflection, though. You realized that your beliefs were fucked because of the experiences you've had as a black person. White people will never make that connection on their own. They're blinded by their own privilege.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that the onus should be on marginalized groups or that they need to contort themselves to make bigots feel comfortable. I'm just pointing out that white racists will never go down the path of self-discovery that you traveled. Not without some sort of external influence.

Believe me, I know that their privilege blinds them to that self reflection. It's why allies are so important beyond just back patting lip service. While white allies can't force their peers to self reflection, but they set an example through actions. Racists and bigots certainly won't put themselves in the shoes of marginalized groups, but they've shown a predilection for listening to those like them, and those like them that they see as being their "betters."

A well liked PoC or member of a marginalized group is seen as an aberration, or "one of the good ones" 🙄. A well liked white person, especially one in a position of power, is seen as a leader. Someone whose views are worth at least giving consideration. It's still up to the bigot, racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, islamophobic individual to reach that level of self reflection themselves, but seeing someone of affluence, that looks like them, could definitely serve as a catalyst of some kind. It's better than nothing.

Of course marginalized groups shouldn't just stand by and wait for the white savior to step in and save them, but it'd be foolish to not work with allies to try and enact change. Being the "model minority" and hoping that changes hearts isn't effective or even enough. Sure, there are exceptions, but generally the bigots views only change for that individual minority that they've befriended. Extending it to all on that group is the challenge, and where real growth happens.

My experiences as a black man definitely helped me, specifically, connect and empathize with other marginalized groups, but the privileged have a different path to that that they must discover themselves. It's why I said earlier that I don't know what the solution is. I honestly have no idea how the privileged can learn to look outside of their own bubble and work in the best interests of not only themselves, but those unlike them.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
There is no real solution. Racism is learned and passed down. Its hard to break through something that is learned at such an early age. We can keep fighting but its hard when supposed allies won't even acknowledge something as simple institutionalized racism exists. So I don't see it ever being solved or fixed.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only see 2 realistic solutions.

1. There need to be an outside threat to unite against. Something to hate for every human being.
2. Kill the majority and take their place.

Neither is realistic tbh. 1. is dreaming about a easy solution and 2. is only going to work until the majority understands what you're doing and retaliates hard.

The majority in the us, europe, russia, australia is white*, has more people, has more power, has more money and over 95% of the weapons. So nothing is going to change with violence.

* but that also works in china, india, etc. every majority with the most people ,money, weapons, etc. won't change and retaliate hard

Oct 27, 2017
Start by stopping calling anything you don't agree with racist, because if everything is racist then how the fuck are you going to highlight actual racism?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
We're not going to fix it. It's part of our psychology.

The only way to "fix" it is to get rid of it entirely by crossbreeding the entire world. No worries, we'll find other ways to discriminate in that time.

Case in point: Japan's Burakumin

When you don't have minorities to discriminate against, manufacture them because people need someone to look down on.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

It is nefarious when it isn't consensual.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good policy, sure, a start? Lol, no. Why would it affect racism in the slightest?
Cause racism only exists because class exists and if class didn't exist then racism wouldn't be necessary to enforce the hierarchy. Is what they're thinking.

I mean, it isn't the truth, but it really is nice to believe that one thing would solve all problems forever.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pessimistic that we'll ever be rid of it. Racism is more than just active hatred.