• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
When I have a receipt I give it to them. Sometimes I have to wait for an item and just walk out and no one cares.

I don't think they're actually even allowed to stop you to see if you have a reciept.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Most ot the time it's just theater, but at Costco, because of the food court's position, it's actually primarily protecting you. Because if you grab food, and someone snags your cart, you're pretty boned if someone gets out the door with your stuff.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say "No bro, you literally just watched me walk away from the cash register with the item in a plastic bag"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I feel like I get checked a lot so sometimes I've just kept walking, I know I did nothing wrong, especially if I have my kids with me and I got shit to do, when I'm done with the store I'm done with the store.
My wife and I write see ID on the backs of all our cards where the signature is supposed to go and I'd say maybe 1 out of 8 people ever bother to ask for ID.
Same here, nobody checks

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They've done that forever in Australia. I'm just used to it. Isn't the rationale at some places only partly about shoplifting but to make sure the cashiers have charged you correctly?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As someone who worked at Best Buy, it's actually caught thieves. Considering people usually would have their receipts in their hands, it wasn't a huge inconvenience and would be an enormous deterrent. The cashiers would usually tell the person checking out "keep that out to show to the person at the door", so customers were even prepared for it.

It's accompanied by the "paid" stickers that they put on larger stuff. You'd be surprised how many thieves just try to wheel shit out of the door thinking no one will double check them if the thing they're carting is big enough.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent more time reading half of the first page then the cumulative time I've been stopped at the door in my entire life.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I always say "no thanks" and continue on my way. The goods are legally mine and they don't have any right to mandate searching my property (excluding membership stores, which I don't shop at)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually if I absolutely have to visit the supermarket (usually get my shopping delivered) then I do self-service and I'm fine with the occasional bag check - it makes sense.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, who has time to worry about this. I just have my receipt in hand and flash it at them. 8/10 times they'll wave you off. Just be proactive. Even saying "no thanks" seems like a waste of time. Maybe that works if you're white, but as a black person that's not something I want to do. Can't give these fools a reason to accuse me of stealing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes they just do it here if you have a lot of things. If you just have a card or a box of cereal they usually don't care.

They do it for everyone at Costco though because you always leave with a ton of shit. If you don't then you didn't shop there right.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it, when I worked for Walmart we'd probably get 15 people per shift loading up full baskets and trying to roll directly out

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
In Nigeria it's everywhere there's always someone that to check receipt at the door and I imagine it's a deterrent, I don't think it happens anywhere else I've been

It really takes like 3 seconds and I'm gone and it's a small deterrent and it's not a big deal

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I've only had someone look at my receipt if the beep beeps go beep beep as I walk out. And then usually it's just a quick look and then they send me on my way since it's obvious I wasn't stealing anything. If my receipt got checked every single time I left, that'd be a bit annoying. Is that just an American thing? I'm from the UK.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Costco does this all the time, and I don't find it very intrusive. Generally, it's just a quick check and looking at any big or expensive items.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I just look the police man at the door in the eye and walk past. No one is going to ask to check my receipt.

in places like cost-co and sam's club (remember Price Club? lmao) this is usually to stop cashier errors, not theft. but at best buy and walmart, the only thing you better say to me is have a nice day.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was racism when it happened to me at a Walmart. But eventually I saw it happen to others that were white so that's when's I learned it was randomly checking people.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care. It literally adds an extra two seconds at most. Not inconveniencing me in the slightest.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I write see ID on the backs of all our cards where the signature is supposed to go and I'd say maybe 1 out of 8 people ever bother to ask for ID.

The signature on the back makes zero sense to me and I have never once used it working retal. I always required I'd for credit and would make sure the name matches the I'd and the picture matches the person in front of me for credit transactions. Problem become is that after the chip cards became a thing we were no longer prompted to take the card in order to finish the sale.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me, but going to a Ross with my wife is a whole nother level. They have poles on the shoppimg carts so they can't be taken out of the store and a sucurity guard at the exit for discount clothing.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It's not a thing in England, but it shop were to start doing it, I wouldn't mind and would even make a little joke about it.

In Nigeria it's everywhere there's always someone that to check receipt at the door and I imagine it's a deterrent, I don't think it happens anywhere else I've been

It really takes like 3 seconds and I'm gone and it's a small deterrent and it's not a big deal

Damn, all around Nigeria or in just certain areas?

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
This only happened to me at Best Buy on Black Friday. The checker was little rude, but it was whatever. Outside of that, I walk out holding my receipt in hand and my items in bag, haven't been stopped.

What I do have a problem with is asking to get IDed when I buy my groceries. And not "I need to make sure you're 21", but "let me make sure that credit card was yours".
When I worked at a grocery store we would check ID on credit card purchases that included gift cards. There was a big problem with people using skimmed cards to buy itunes gift cards/visa gift cards/etc... so we checked ID on all credit card purchases that included those. Just groceries we didn't check unless it was like over a certain dollar amount (over $300 or so).

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
They've run the numbers and its shown to slow shoplifting down enough to justify the cost of employing door checkers at the store exits.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If that's true why do I, one of the most stereotypical white guys ever, get asked to almost all the time?
Now go ask a black person how much time it takes for their stuff to get checked compared to your stuff. "But some people aren't racist and treat everyone the same." Yeah, then you have the pieces of shit that don't.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Might depend on the state but legally you don't have to show them shit. Just keep on walking and tell them to fuck off. I know for costco and sams club you do have to show it because its part of their membership tos. but any other place like walmart/bestbuy you don't have to show them anything.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
when i had long hair i could tell they were doing it out of suspicion, so i understand how intrusive and demeaning it can seem

but most of the time it's complete standard procedure, especially if you're carting out unbagged merch

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
To the people who are saying that they just go "no thanks" and keep on walking- where is your public courtesy? These are policies that companies put into place for their employees to follow. They dont have any personal vendetta against you; it's just what they have to do. You acting like an asshole to them personally doesn't make them feel any better about it, and I say personal because that is a direct reaction you have to them, that you choose to display whether you say anything or not.
I say this as somebody with social anxiety.

Furthermore, it really is necessary, at least where I work. I've seen so many things stolen from my workplace because the people that are supposed to be asking for the receipts decide not to, and that makes fulfilling orders difficult on our part when our system is showing 3 when they arent actually any in the store.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I definitely understand people's worries about this being abused for discriminatory purposes. It's happened a couple times at my store and fortunately both instances were taken seriously. That is a real concern and at least personally if I see a door greeter breaking protocol I say something to management.
If my receipt got checked every single time I left, that'd be a bit annoying. Is that just an American thing? I'm from the UK.
It might be a thing in some places in the US (hell in some places they have police on the premises at all times) but where I live they only check if you have large electronics, alcohol, or sometimes items in the bottom rack of your cart. Basically items we know get stolen a lot at our store or behaviour that we know thieves often employ. Or if the door sensors go off, but even then we'll sometimes tell the customer not to worry about it.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I tolerate it at Best buy because they check everyone. Walmart picks and chooses so I'm not cool with that. I have my hand at the receipt checker and say "You don't want to see my receipt". It's worked everytime. I either have the ability to use the force or they are too dumbfounded to respond.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
To the people who are saying that they just go "no thanks" and keep on walking- where is your public courtesy? These are policies that companies put into place for their employees to follow. They dont have any personal vendetta against you; it's just what they have to do. You acting like an asshole to them personally doesn't make them feel any better about it, and I say personal because that is a direct reaction you have to them, that you choose to display whether you say anything or not.

What a weird way of perceiving a polite "no thank you" when they were the one who asked to search property that isn't theirs. Who has made it out to be a personal vendetta?

As one who also has social anxiety, I owe you nothing more than a polite decline of something that isn't legally required and that I do not approve of.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

Furthermore, it really is necessary, at least where I work. I've seen so many things stolen from my workplace because the people that are supposed to be asking for the receipts decide not to, and that makes fulfilling orders difficult on our part when our system is showing 3 when they arent actually any in the store.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't think "no thanks" is always gonna be rude. I see employees be rude about it more often than customers.

The rude customers in my experience tend to be the ones who use self-check for an item with the magnetic security device - meaning the security device doesn't get deactivated - then raise hell to customer service when the sensors at the door go off.

I'd much rather have a blunt "no" than a tirade aimed at me for doing what's asked of me by my employer.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

A past manager told me to stop even looking (I was one of the few who looked). It was pissing off customers and since the other cashiers didn't do it it just annoyed them when it was inconsistant.

This is one reason they don't check. Another reason is they don't know. A third is because now that I don't check my job has gotten a lot nicer as most of my pissed off customers were from ones who were pissed off I was checking (including one who even wrote see ID and was pissed cause she wasn't buying much so apparently I should read her mind and know only to check ID in certain cases). My favorite though was a customer who wrote see tattoo on her credit card (I can't remember if she described tattoo).

I have yet to see anyone chide me for not checking sadly. Though, in a way it would suck worse if they did (Damned if I do, damned if I don't).

Really they should require a pin number, it would be a lot more secure than if I can tell that is you or some one else. But credit card companies don't want to do that cause any small resistance discourages people from using hte card (seriously, most people got pissed off cause they had to take a few seconds to take ID out, apparentely a few seconds is just way too much to ask. Or the dumb people who actually took it personally and acted like I was accusing them of being a thief).

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This only happened to me at Best Buy on Black Friday. The checker was little rude, but it was whatever. Outside of that, I walk out holding my receipt in hand and my items in bag, haven't been stopped.
This is what I've learned to do when hauling a big ticket item with me such as a TV, game console, or computer, etc

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
What a weird way of perceiving a polite "no thank you" when they were the one who asked to search property that isn't theirs.

That's not really how it comes across, especially in this topic. Specifically, I saw the phrase "no thanks" tossed around in this topic, which in contexts like this is considered rude. It doesn't help that, in my personally encounters, people who do that dont even look you in the eye, and that sure as hell is rude.

As for the "your property" bit- yes, since you bought it you can be confident that it does belong to you and therefore you can afford to spend 5 seconds waiting to be vindicated. You have nothing to worry about. The store, on the other hand, has a right to know if they're about to take a hit on something. They have a budget for theft, in fact, though that's more relevant for when we find empty boxes in the store or are certain we cant find something because it's gone. But, make no mistake, this has an effect on the individual employees in the store.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The store, on the other hand, has a right to know if they're about to take a hit on something.

But, make no mistake, this has an effect on the individual employees in the store.

And their actions have a simiar impact (as big or small as it might be) on their customers, but you don't seem too concerned with that?

And sure, the store "has the right" to make the request just as the customers have the right to decline the request. It's a rebuke of the policy, not you as a person.