• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
After years and years of memes about how difficult it is to follow the Kingdom Hearts series, Nomura tripled down in making the mobile game absolutely critical and the basis of most of the ending and of Kingdom Hearts 4. Nomura also tied in fairly important plot points from Chain of Memories (the GBA game from 2004), KH Coded (the 2009 phone game), 358/2 Days (the 2009 DS game). In the ending of the game, we find out that Xigbar has been maybe the puppet master of the series so far and is a Keyblade user who will be one of the big bads of KH4. We also find out that Sora will go to Japan in a TWEWY world in the future and that some elements of cancelled Versus 13 will be included in KH4 including sort of Versus XIII Noctis.

It's the biggest triple down I've ever seen as the game refuses to let any of the 20 million plot points from 8 different game platforms go and refuses to allow a reboot to make the series more straight-forward in story and in facts double downs on stupid and weird twists to set up the future games that won't come out for years and years.

This is Nomura's vision with no compromises whatsoever I would guess as I can't imagine any editor allowing any of this stuff to happen and I'm conflicted about how I feel about this.

Allowing Donald and Goofy to die and come back from death twice in the game... That was very good though.

Dante_727

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It has its charm. If you can't follow the story by reading alot, just stop playing the series for story.

Soulsborne games also has this aspect where you can play whole game without understanding anything and afterwards reading about it in wiki.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017

Donald and Goofy are killed at the beginning of Pirates 3 before climbing back out of hell with the rest of the crew.

Donald and Goofy I believe were killed along with everyone else at the beginning of the Keyblade Graveyard before Sora became Jesus... Or Mickey used time magic? I was actually unclear how they were revived but in both scenarios, Donald and Goofy sort of die.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I really hated KH3 but Nomura at least remembered how many plot holes he was suppposed to patch

Make the next game with Kairi, Namine and Xion as protagonists within the TWEWY and Versus universe. Sora is just too stupid to function.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I found the whole game to be insufferable and he seemed way more stupid imho than in any other games. Nomura really needs to learn how to write scripts.
Sora has always been dense with Goofy being the one that actually notices everything. Even in KH2 you had people questioning his intelligence.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
Nomura also could hire a cutscene director who understands how scenes are supposed to work.

Since there's no motion or life in 70-80% of them
Yeah I dont get it. He is a good character designer and KH3 sold well, but man he should learn some restraint and cull his beasts. Even Tabata couldnt salvage the mess he left behind and he tried!

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I dont get it. He is a good character designer and KH3 sold well, but man he should learn some restraint and cull his beasts. Even Tabata couldnt salvage the mess he left behind and he tried!

Nomura refusing to backtrack on his vision can be endearing though.

Characters standing motionless in a cutscene that Nomura forgot to put music in is less charming....

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
Sora has always been dense with Goofy being the one that actually notices everything. Even in KH2 you had people questioning his intelligence.
Hell yeah, but for some reason it didnt annoy me as much until KH3. That game rubbed me the wrong way in so many ways that I probably just paid more attention to it. I wish someone else directed KH4.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with ending plotlines tied to Sora: So Birth By Sleep, Chain of Memories and all those games. That's stuff that needed to be addressed. Even if I think Roxas's story ended perfectly fine in KHII.
I'm fine with Xigbar turning out to be Luxu: He was always a shady dude and now we know why. Good twist.
The rest of the mobile stuff however, is not fine for me. I simply don't care about any of it, and that it's going to be the basis for the next saga is a little frustrating. I don't want to have to follow an ongoing mobile game just to understand what's going on.

You can say "this is Nomuras vision" and all, but when his vision is so blurred by convolution, it's time to tell him he needs a pair of glasses.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
The mobile game tying in was to be expected with the direction it was going in and Back Cover.

Nomura said it isn't, but people are just going to assume he's lying.

What'll be really interesting is seeing how Yozora plays into things as on original character from a distinct world(?)... Stella here we come/return..?!

We'll never know how Versus/XV would have turned out, but I would like to imagine it would have been the man's opus.

Or maybe it was doomed from the start. Argh. *loses self in box of pizzas*

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I'm fine with ending plotlines tied to Sora: So Birth By Sleep, Chain of Memories and all those games. That's stuff that needed to be addressed. Even if I think Roxas's story ended perfectly fine in KHII.
I'm fine with Xigbar turning out to be Luxu: He was always a shady dude and now we know why. Good twist.
The rest of the mobile stuff however, is not fine for me. I simply don't care about any of it, and that it's going to be the basis for the next saga is a little frustrating. I don't want to have to follow an ongoing mobile game just to understand what's going on.

You can say "this is Nomuras vision" and all, but when his vision is so blurred by convolution, it's time to tell him he needs a pair of glasses.

Dont worry he will recap it all in KH3.6 Emotions that rend the continuum

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I really hated KH3 but Nomura at least remembered how many plot holes he was suppposed to patch

Make the next game with Kairi, Namine and Xion as protagonists within the TWEWY and Versus universe. Sora is just too stupid to function.

Kairi is also crap. I'd rather have Sora any day.

And yeh, the mobile game necessity is a huge downer. I'm just not into the mobile game.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I still get a rise out of one of the best moments of KHIII (Ephemer and the Dandelions coming to the rescue) being directly tied to Union Cross.

That was like a MAGNANIMOUS moment...and a little puzzling if you never laid a finger on the series' origin story extravaganza.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's wonderful. There is a place in gaming for this kind of epic sagas that pay off way more if you invest time to learn how to navigate the long and confusing plot. Not everything should be a one-and-done experience, and it's great that some of the big names in the industry like Nomura get it.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I respect the hell out of Nomura for not letting things go. Personally I think it's a very rewarding experience as a long time fan.

As for the plot, it's in the so bad it's good category for me. I'm just in it for the wild ride.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If anything, KH3 probably could've gotten away with being even more convoluted. It's what everyone was expecting anyway.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for it. I'm sure there'll be a game or movie to cover the mobile stuff like Back Cover.

The fact that almost no one else would do this is awesome.

It's the same reason I'm happy DMCV references so many "not important" parts of the series like the anime.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds very petty of him lmao
How the fuck is it petty?

There are plenty of recap and summary videos for the mobile game on YouTube.

And like I said earlier im sure they'll make another movie or game to cover the important stuff.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I would be fine with a big confusing story if some of it was actually interesting. In fact the story MIGHT be interesting, just hidden behind insufferable dialogue and headache inducing characters that make me zone out and not pay attention.

I don't remember 2 being this bad, although my tolerance was probably much higher as a teenager than it is in my 30's.

I think someone needs to take it off Nomura. Maybe Disney comes in and says "What the hell is going on in this game? Let's get you some proper writers". Although I doubt they care.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I would be fine with a big confusing story if some of it was actually interesting. In fact the story MIGHT be interesting, just hidden behind insufferable dialogue and headache inducing characters that make me zone out and not pay attention.

I don't remember 2 being this bad, although my tolerance was probably much higher as a teenager than it is in my 30's.

I think someone needs to take it off Nomura. Maybe Disney comes in and says "What the hell is going on in this game? Let's get you some proper writers". Although I doubt they care.

2's story is way way way worse.

3's is just... bad but less bad.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm fine with it, I don't want a reboot for reboot's sake. Most people play KH for the gameplay and Disney/FF fan service. Let us who play it for the story have it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I think it's hilarious how Nomura was hell-bent on making the mobile game key to stuff in KH3 and for what comes next.

We're probably going to get another DDD-type game to set-up for KH4 that alot of people are going to skip and then complain about once it matters in KH4, and I'm all for it. I just want to see where Nomura's wild ride takes us.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Nomura has a much better vision set up from here forward. I get the feeling he's excited to ramp up the Union X story into a fully fleshed Kingdom Hearts title.

Dec 5, 2018
Donald and Goofy are killed at the beginning of Pirates 3 before climbing back out of hell with the rest of the crew.

Donald and Goofy I believe were killed along with everyone else at the beginning of the Keyblade Graveyard before Sora became Jesus... Or Mickey used time magic? I was actually unclear how they were revived but in both scenarios, Donald and Goofy sort of die.
Can I just say that this is the best way to explain that!!! Fantastic job! 😁

Nov 23, 2017

Your specific negativity about a really well recieved game doesn't mean anything needs to change nor would really any fan want someone else to take over.

Aug 29, 2018
Was a bad call. Plot wise series has been a joke till 1 and every consequential game has taken away from the VERY VIBE that initially defined kingdom hearts; a simple story of small Island Sora growing and traveling Disney worlds to defeat evil, it was supposed to be about Disney and square

Not all this kingdom heart original bullshit that is an absolute joke

They limited the potential appeal of the series and started doing so since 2, it is a bummer

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ridiculous and I'm delighted it has been allowed to happen.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura refusing to backtrack on his vision can be endearing though.

Characters standing motionless in a cutscene that Nomura forgot to put music in is less charming....

Nomura isn't the cutscene director and he's not doing everything unlike what fans and haters claim. Masaru Oka is the cutscene director of Kingdom Hearts since BBS and he's the one responsible for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried that the game would be super safe, but it wasn't, it's proud of all the games that have come before and I'm so happy it exists.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't care. i'm not really playing these games for the pay off of its through line.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I stand by that the mobile game (when its main scenario actually updates) has one of the better written stories of the series. Having been invested in that since the beginning was hugely rewarding in KH3, and I'm stoked to see what comes next.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Nomura isn't the cutscene director and he's not doing everything unlike what fans and haters claim. Masaru Oka is the cutscene director of Kingdom Hearts since BBS and he's the one responsible for it.

Kingdom Hearts has consistently had some of the worst directing in cutscenes of any game out there so it's clearly something that Nomura and other top people don't think needs to get better even if he's not literally making music decisions.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know the issue with expecting people to be caught up on literally every piece of media is that the stories of those other games aren't good.
They should replace him because yeesh the scenes comprised of OC characters can be so lifeless at times.