• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Green started all this bullshit YouTube videos before YouTube. He was just ahead of the game.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Green was and is hilarious. Don't get me wrong, A LOT of his stuff doesn't hold up, but he's a funny dude.

Plus he was "lol random" before Youtube and such existed. It was very novel at the time.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
His decline in popularity lead to me being told I looked like him a lot less.
He's still genuinely funny and we'll always have "Check the OR"

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For the same reason that a movie like Napoleon Dynamite becomes iconic for a sliver of a generation. It's just a perfect moment in time for someone to capitalize on something. Tom Green was the right balance of surreal stupid comedy when America and Canada desperately wanted surreal stupid comedy; People wanted reality TV, and it had a mix of reality TV in it. Just after it shifted from him to Jackass and CKY, which had elements of TOm Green's physical stupid comedy and wratched it up to 100, and then (thankfully) killed it dead.

In 3, 5, 10, and 20 years we might look back at the most famous YOuTube stars and think, like "How the fuck did these people possibly get famous?" We can already do it with "Prank Videos." The meteoric rise and swift fall of prank videos were like this perfect moment in time for whatever YouTuber jumped on it earliest and best, milked the fuck out of it, and now they're making videos about how prank videos are over.

I actually think Tom Green has real comedic talent, he's always been a really good interview even decades after his show, which shows that he's not just a one-hit-wonder.

My favorite bit of weird 1990s pop trivia is that WWF toyed with this segment called "GDTV" in the late 1990s, where these short vignettes of "behind the scenes" stuff in WWF would be shown on a closed-circuit like monitor. Originally it was going to be Goldust's re-introduction to WWF after he had fallen off the wagon, left, and was coming back. But then he fell off the wagon again and they changed the segment to GTV, with the producers (probably Russo) intending to introduce ... Tom Green ... as the man behind GTV. Thankfully, Vince watched some segments of the Tom Green show, said (rightly), ... this isn't funny .. and completely axed the angle. We were ultimately moving to a disastrous synergy of Attitude Era and Tom Green, and it was narrowly avoided by Vince McMahon.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd only heard the title of this movie and thought it was about a guy living in the witness protection program after he pointed out a mobster for the cops, and that people were just making dirty jokes.

Boy was j wrong

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
He'd been a pretty successful comedian long before FGF so there must certainly have been plenty of people who liked his comedy. Not my cup of tea by a looooooooooooooong stretch but I can easily say that about 100 other comedians out there who've had hugely successful careers.

This isn't actually accurate. Tom Green wasn't really a "successful" comedian. He was a comedian, and he did a public access TV show. It got picked up by MTV who wanted some "shock" value for their channel, and from there it took off. Tom Green really opened the doors for shows like Jackass, etc.

He actually didn't become a successful comic until very recently (like in the last few years) as he began touring clubs & actually writing more material.

There' s a great episode of You Made it Weird with Tom Green where he talks at length about all this stuff (and he's surprisingly a really normal dude when he's not showing out for the camera).

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
The Tom Green Show was objectively brilliant and influential.

Freddy Got Fingered was... very subjectively brilliant.

Check the O.R. is catchy as hell.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Uh.... because he was very funny and absolutely crazy. He pulled some of the greatest pranks of all time and was completely fearless.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Freddy got fingered. Great movie.

Movie is so much deeper that what is on the surface.

Oct 27, 2017
Man he did a TV special on his bout with testicular cancer. He did the Tig Notaro thing 12 years before she did. Dude's a legend.

Handa

Nov 14, 2018
Tom Green popped up on my feed with what i can only describe as a completely serious, joy division inspired new wave music video for his new single shot in south east asia

What!?

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen stand ups live from Chris Rock, David Spade, Dave Chappelle, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Burr, Sarah Silverman, and like dozens more and Tom Green was by far the funniest act I've ever seen.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a review of "Freddie got Fingered" and even as a kid , I knew he was painfully unfunny....I can't comprehend how he was so famous.... I'm just baffled. I feel the same way about Jackass, in their case , I guess it was kinda funny at first, but it quickly lost it's appeal when they did the same stupid shit over and over.

They work hard and they practice their craft.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I hate humor where people just go out and be annoying, so I never liked Tom Green.

I liked Jackass for the ridiculous stunts though.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
they cause stupid teenagers to venture over to their local grocery stores with their buddies and take shopping carts and ride them across the parking lot until they go flying out of the cart onto the asphalt. Thanks a lot Knoxville.

At least none of us ever shoved a Hot Wheels car up our asses(that I know of)

Oh fuck off that's not their fault people imitated them.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I recently saw Tom Green linking up with Andy Milonakis in Japan via live stream on Twitch. They walked around, tried some places to eat and I ended with them at a Karaoke spot. Everyone was requesting Tom to have his own Twitch channel.

I was one who didn't care for him back in high school but the more I was exposed to him the funnier.
Yes Freddie got fingered was he worst movie but it's time green so it wasn't surprising.

Tom Green monkey hour is a classic.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I even grew up watching his trash local show in Ottawa and was confused when he got noticed by the US.

Me too - on Ottawa it made sense, cuz it was just cable access.
Then it got picked up by Comedy Network.
Then it got picked up by MTV.

My only explanation is that the 90s was a weird time and people enjoyed edgy gross-out humor.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Me too - on Ottawa it made sense, cuz it was just cable access.
Then it got picked up by Comedy Network.
Then it got picked up by MTV.

My only explanation is that the 90s was a weird time and people enjoyed edgy gross-out humor.
I think like 70% of the Ottawa show comedy was just because I knew where the locations were lol. "hey he's causing a commotion in the byward market, that's funny I guess"