• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont get it. no ones life is that interesting. i see people talk for long periods of time jumping from subject to subject and i feel like im watching people play a game of keep talking and no one explodes. sometimes both people will even start to end the conversation and say goodbye and then bam something comes up that keeps them talking another 10-15 minutes.

idk, its weirds me out as im the silent observing type when it comes to people who only comes out to talk when something interests me or someone is on some shit.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you want to be engaged in conversation, it's easy to give detailed thoughts on whatever comes up. It's not necessarily about whether the topic is even interesting.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You never seen stand up? Been to a lecture? Etc?
Very easy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You just struck up a conversation with us about the ability of people to carry on long conversations. That's a topic. There's millions of topics to discuss that people have limited or full knowledge of or have experienced something in that particular topic. Stories have jumping off points to shift the topic. You can't seriously tell me that in your (x) number of years on this planet that you don't have experiences to share with another person.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Talking with people you connect with is a wonderful thing and plenty of people have interesting lives that I could talk with them about for hours at a time.

And conversation isn't limited to the lives of the people who are talking... you can talk about literally anything.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the people. Normally, Im not one to talk in the phone, but I dated a chick who I'd talk to for four hours before we even realized it was getting late.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Anything to fill the void of silence, because silence will then lead to loneliness. And loneliness can be depressing.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
i dont get it. no ones life is that interesting. i see people talk for long periods of time jumping from subject to subject and i feel like im watching people play a game of keep talking and no one explodes. sometimes both people will even start to end the conversation and say goodbye and then bam something comes up that keeps them talking another 10-15 minutes.

idk, its weirds me out as im the silent observing type when it comes to people who only comes out to talk when something interests me or someone is on some shit.

Waiting for someone to make a thread titled "how do people silently observe for long periods of time?"

Different strokes for different folks, OP.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I find it harder to start a conversation than continue one. Once I'm off in a discussion with someone it's very easy to find points and ideas to spin off of into new lines of thought.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
26g8evG.jpg

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

My best friend and I (Different sexes and not in a relationship) talk for an average of 4 hours when we meet. To be fair i see her every other month. It helps when you have a good listener (me) and a good conversationalist (her). Final ingredient is enjoying each other's company.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I find it easier to communicate via text because it is easier to gather your thoughts and responses while I get easily distracted by anything if I am directly talking to someone. But yes I can talk to someone forever but it usually devolves into blabbering about random stuff popping in my head which I am sure is what anybody else who can talk for long periods of time are doing. It doesn't have to be about someone's life but being invested in the world in every aspect there are plenty of things to talk about every day.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
i have yeah but some people just seem to be able to keep going on and on forever till the end of time and thats the kind of stuff that weirds me out
Well, that's because every single topic has threads that you can follow. I do believe in "social batteries", though, where some people can carry on being sociable for an infinite amount of time whereas others are done with the situation after half an hour.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's absolutely wild. There are a few people at work who will stand in my door and talk for literally an hour with nothing more than the occasional "uh huh" or "oh wow" from me.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this thread really...you can talk about thousands of different subjects, or just a single subject (politics, philosophy etc) for hours on end.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's a skill I wish I had. I know some people that can have long conversations with anyone about anything, with personal stories, anecdotes, humor, and natural segues into new topics, without the awkward silence. I try sometimes but I really don't like hearing myself talk that much and I'm always gauging to see if they even seem interested in what I am saying, or how I am saying it, which usually results in me keeping it short and boring.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people are very uncomfortable with silence.

This is true, but...in many cases it's not just being uncomfortable.

Conversation, the act of talking to another, can be a form of intimacy and connection.

This was me a few weeks ago. I got to catch up with a dear friend of mine who I hadn't been able to see in person since the beginning of lockdown. And we got to meet up at our regular dive bar no less!

After three hours or so of sitting at the bar, you could tell we were both actively searching for things to talk about, because neither of us wanted it to end. Talking with my friend felt familiar, and comfortable, and normal. Talking to my friend felt like a hug, as corny as it sounds.

I mean, yeah, it's different for everyone. But for some people that's how it be, y'know?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty quiet/nonchalant/introverted and keep to myself for the most part. But I do have close friends who I can have very thought provoking and interesting conversations with. Sometimes we hangout all day and talk about topics that we both enjoy like gaming, horror movies, skateboarding, etc.

But if I'm at a party or some other event and I'm meeting someone for the first time, it can be awkward, very awkward unless we get along quickly and break the ice. Ice breakers suck, I hate talking about my job/education/etc. I'd rather sit alone in silence. But if we find something in common, like 90's grunge music, I don't mind the banter and sometimes I lead the questions because I'm interested in learning more about that person's history/knowledge/experience.

Last edited:

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
I could easily go on for hours about anything I've ever been obsessed with enough to read up on and explore. When you click with someone of similar interests and a complimentary personality, it can go well into the morning. Especially if you're drunk.

Long conversation is something I really miss from my younger years. With age I've tightened up socially, mostly due to living in a place where I am very different in opinion, morals, and most everything else.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean… communication is a pretty basic part of interpersonal relationships. I can visit with my friends for 6 hours straight. Or we can visit for a bit and sit in comfortable silence for a bit. Sometimes you go down a rabbit hole of interesting things to talk about, politics, news, something interesting in your life, thoughts on a mutually interesting subject. It's pretty easy, and the more people you add to the group the easier it is for conversation to last hours because listening becomes a larger part of it rather than talking.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Some people are just really good at using small details to branch off conversations in different directions, even if mostly unrelated to previous topics.

People who struggle to think of things to say at times (myself included) just overthink and have the assumption that everything said needs to be super worthwhile or meaningful, or are under the impression that what they want to say isn't, so more time is spent thinking than talking.

Shuckle

Mar 30, 2018
This is a skill I kind of wish I had; I'm terrible at conversation. I usually find it hard to talk more than a minute or two, I don't know how people go on for so long. I run out of things to say so quickly.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah honestly it is very situational with me. Some folks, especially strangers, get frustrated with my silence. I absolutely value the ability to enjoy silence & solitude; my closest friends are people I can be silent with for just as long as we can converse. But get me in a conversation about something I have some knowledge of, with a person I feel comfortable being myself around, or even just get me around someone who knows a lot about something and seems chill, and I can't shut up lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Some people are just really good at using small details to branch off conversations in different directions, even if mostly unrelated to previous topics.

People who struggle to think of things to say at times (myself included) just overthink and have the assumption that everything said needs to be super worthwhile or meaningful, or are under the impression that what they want to say isn't, so more time is spent thinking than talking.
It's also a chemistry thing. The right person can do it for people.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
My boss is like this. He doesn't know when to shut the fuck up. He just keeps babbling and babbling about stuff that isn't even remotely interesting. It affects my ability to work sometimes as his Verbal diarrhea always makes me sleepy/tired afterwords.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017

i think to an extent for some of us its the fact that many of feel like our interests arent worth talking about because we feel like talking about something the other person most likely knows nothing about is a waste of effort.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
It's called being conversational?

I get being quiet, but let's not vilify people for being friendly, engaged, and showing up for another person's interests.

Oct 26, 2017
Find your role. It's fine to be a passive listener. Don't beat yourself up for not being something you don't feel comfortable being.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
weirdly enough i like talking to strangers. you never know what they are going to say so its kinda fun when you get someone quirky
I honestly generally agree with you! When I was gigging around it was fun to get into weird conversations/adventures with the random folks you inevitably meet in the circle of smokers outside the venue lmao. But I live in the Southern US so a lot of the time that quirkiness ends up turning into bigotry out of nowhere and it gets super awkward lol

Mainly, a lot of the time I don't have anything to say. I try to listen more than talk. And sometimes, enjoying the moment is enough; doesn't need words on top of it. And folks don't know what to do with that.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Really not that hard in my experience. I tend to have 4-5 hour dinners with my best friend and partner while talking about whatever. I have had people tell me it's overwhelming to be around me because of the amount of talking I do though.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
You're right. No one's life is that interesting. Thats why me and my friends dont talk about our lifes. I camt be bothered to have small talk with people. I dont ask them randomly how they are doing or vice versa. But we can talk for hours every day about a lot of stuff.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I know some well or come to like them, I can talk with them all day. However, that is a scarce number of folk. For most people I talk to them very little due to either not knowing them well or simply not liking them.

There is the odd stranger that I can come to like very quickly and can easily talk to, but that's rare.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
it's actually nice to me, cause i'm an absolute mess for conversations, can't say shit even if it's something i love! So if the person in front of me can talk for the both of us, i won't complain

the only moment where i can talk more or less is in debates on a subject i know more or less