• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's such a diss though lol....maybe I'm a bitter soul but if someone told me "hey man, you're fantastic in all the ways, but lets be friends" I would just be annoyed and think they are full of shit and blame myself in some way. Because usually that line is bullshit.

OP might have to fake his death or move to Africa for a couple years.
That's on you. You can be amazing but you can't force chemistry and people should respect that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The nicest thing to do is to be very honest and straightforward

Don't leave room for misunderstanding since thinking someone "maybe" might come around to changing their mind about a relationship is torture

Let her quickly move on and write you off as an option

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Tell her:

"I'm very flattered that you like me. I think you're beautiful and interesting, but I feel strongly that we are not a good romantic fit, because of several shortcomings of mine that I am not proud of and would rather not discuss at present."

"I would love to be your friend and wingman though!"

It's true (the shortcomings being your selfishness and impatience) and it puts the blame solely on you without going anywhere near mentioning or even implying her past or traumas are involved.

If you tell her you don't feel chemistry without explanation, as most people in this thread are suggesting, she'll think she's ugly.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
just say your not interested. you don't have to be brutal about it. Are you focused on other things in your life? Is your career/school a priority? relate to her in a way that shows your focus is elsewhere.

as an aside, everyone has various levels of "baggage" so don't be an ass about it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Be truthful but don't hurt her feelings. Basically you're not looking for something serious right now, because that's some serious shit, and it's not what you're looking for. So tell her exactly that: "I'm just looking to have fun and date different people right now."

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I can't say I'm not looking for a relationship cause she knows I am looking.

I do feel guilty.

I've been rejected before, but for shallow reasons. Those reasons don't sting. Rejecting someone cause of their traumatic experience in the past is just... urk.
What is the difference here of someone openly telling you their baggage early compared to someone hiding it for months and only giving you little bits at a time? If you can't handle supporting this partner, do you think you could handle someone that lets it out in bits but same issues in the future? I don't know, you do you OP, either way its going to hurt, but I think its an odd thing to walk away for if you vibe in every other way.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like the person who has issues to work through is you OP. I get not being comfortable about her past, but maybe all she needs is someone to support her and show her not all people are trash. It sounds like you are actually attracted to this girl, so i say grow a little as a person and take her out on a date. You may find that just being there to listen to her is all she needs to keep a level head and you will grow into the relationship and like being the rock that she can turn to when she needs someone.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Next best thing besides what I said earlier: Act like the weirdest fuck possible. Pick your nose and eat its contents in front of her, screech like a deranged donkey for no reason, say that you like The Godfather Part III the most, etc. In order to get out of this without following any of the other advice in this thread that you probably won't go through with anyway because you'll likely make your own decision, you have to make her not interested in you.
OP really steals? No dignity

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
is this what my future in dating is going to look like

cause damn

RIP me i guess

As long as you've gotten treatment and are processing what happened to you in a healthy way then it isn't nearly a problem.

My ex-wife didn't, which is why she didn't find out until after she had already cheated on me twice that she seeks validation from men as a result of her trauma.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
As long as you've gotten treatment and are processing what happened to you in a healthy way then it isn't nearly a problem.

My ex-wife didn't, which is why she didn't find out until after she had already cheated on me twice that she seeks validation from men as a result of her trauma.

I am a year into treatment and have worked very hard on myself this last year but I've avoided dating entirely as it can be daunting when you've recovered from severe trauma.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Jesus Christ so many "be honest with her" terrible takes.

It's not always helpful to know why someone doesnt want to be with you.

Yeah. As far as I'm concerned there's a lot of ground between "lie to her" and "tell her in no uncertain terms you won't date her because she has a history of trauma". People advocating for doing either are doing both the OP and his admirer a disservice.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Tell her:

"I'm very flattered that you like me. I think you're beautiful and interesting, but I feel strongly that we are not a good romantic fit, because of several shortcomings of mine that I am not proud of and would rather not discuss at present."

"I would love to be your friend and wingman though!"

It's true (the shortcomings being your selfishness and impatience) and it puts the blame solely on you without going anywhere near mentioning or even implying her past or traumas are involved.

If you tell her you don't feel chemistry without explanation, as most people in this thread are suggesting, she'll think she's ugly.

"I don't care about your shortcomings. I want to be with you."

You need to not leave any wiggle room.

"I'm not interested in you."

NYCrooner

Jan 3, 2018
Tell her that you aren't in the right time or place in your life for a relationship. If she says that she'll wait until you are, then just tell her you have a micro penis.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I am a year into treatment and have worked very hard on myself this last year but I've avoided dating entirely as it can be daunting when you've recovered from severe trauma.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. As long as you're actively trying to get better then your future is bright. I tried recommending to the girl I know and she just keeps making excuses.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
As someone who can relate to the girl you're rejecting, don't bring up her trauma.

She needs to take care of her relationship with herself and her trauma before dating will ever be a possibility. You know that though.

Be simple and clean. Hey, I think you're rad but I'm not in a position to date someone with needs I do not feel I am capable of meeting right now. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

Its okay you don't want to date someone who isnt seeking treatment for their damage.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop dropping hints. If you dont want to hurt her feelings by rejecting her you want HER to dump you.

Start by talking about era and go full gaf on her. Rant about cucks, SJWs, woke feminists and throw in a lot of shit talk about gamergate. then tell her how you want a woman who will stay home and look after the kids all day. then make you food when you get home and then be ready for some sex whenever you want. if for some bizarre reason that doesnt put her off, take it a step further and admit you are a trump supporter.

if she is still with you after all this, marry her. she is the one.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
"I'm sorry, but I'm not looking for a relationship right now."

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm not looking for a relationship cause she knows I am looking.

I do feel guilty.

I've been rejected before, but for shallow reasons. Those reasons don't sting. Rejecting someone cause of their traumatic experience in the past is just... urk.
Do not tell her that her trauma is why you don't want to be with her. You should feel a little guilty, your attitude is why people don't speak out about abuse

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience make it quit and painless then maybe block their number. Don't drag it further then either you or them need it to be.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sorry you have to deal with that. As long as you're actively trying to get better then your future is bright. I tried recommending to the girl I know and she just keeps making excuses.
I'm sorry but you are really starting to come off as a POS.

Victims of trauma can't always just decide to get help, they have to be ready to face up to it and so far you really don't seem to have the mental maturity to be with someone that doesn't have some super easy life with no emotional baggage.

Maybe there is more to the story that you haven't shared that would explain this but going by what info you have provided you really aren't coming across as sympathetic to me.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
As someone who can relate to the girl you're rejecting, don't bring up her trauma.

She needs to take care of her relationship with herself and her trauma before dating will ever be a possibility. You know that though.

Be simple and clean. Hey, I think you're rad but I'm not in a position to date someone with needs I do not feel I am capable of meeting right now. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

Its okay you don't want to date someone who isnt seeking treatment for their damage.

Yep. This is it chief.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't you just be a good filial son and bring home a nice Chinese woman with an Ivy league degree, a professional with high earning potential, wants lots of kids, knows how to cook, and comes from a good family? Don't you know your parents aren't getting any younger? You need to stop digging up bones in the desert and just settle down. ;)

Just tell her you're not into her like that.

However, this might work real good too:
Stop dropping hints. If you dont want to hurt her feelings by rejecting her you want HER to dump you.

Start by talking about era and go full gaf on her. Rant about cucks, SJWs, woke feminists and throw in a lot of shit talk about gamergate. then tell her how you want a woman who will stay home and look after the kids all day. then make you food when you get home and then be ready for some sex whenever you want. if for some bizarre reason that doesnt put her off, take it a step further and admit you are a trump supporter.

if she is still with you after all this, marry her. she is the one.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Comment
Just tell her you only wanna smash

Her response to this can be win win for you op đź‘€

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Direct, honest, but respectful. Don't have to get into the details about her past and your fears about them. Tell her you respect her and enjoy the existing association/friendship you have, but you have no interest in a romantic relationship. No need to elaborate further, other than you don't have any romantic feelings towards her. Be clear in this, and don't leave any interpretation or hope that there could be something someday. It might seem mean, but its honestly the kindest thing you can do, she can move on and that will be it. Be prepared that she might not WANT to be friends after this, but alas that's the way things go sometimes when these feelings happen.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think you are not that into her and that's it.

someone brokeness shouldn't be a hurdle in this phase of the relationship.

i mean how many people enter into fucked up relationship just because they are just so into each other.

if you liked her more, you wouldn't care i think.

idk, i just my opinion

Oct 26, 2017
1) You shouldn't date someone if you don't feel comfortable, totally fair

2) You're making a massive assumption regarding her ability to deal with her mental health challenges, and expressing that assumption in a way that further stigmatizes those of us who are already judged for the trauma inflicted on us

I really don't know if you had to share any of her personal details in order to ask this question. Just tell her (if she approaches you about this) that you're not looking for that with her. Just be kind.

And for the record, people who have gone through things like that - like myself - are fully capable of having successful relationships. I encourage you to reconsider your assumptions (not toward changing your mind about dating her, just to examine why you reject her).

I agree with most of your points but personally for me it has been difficult to be in a relationship with someone who has not experienced similar traumas. It is sad that she gets hopeful, but the fact that he judges her this way and scared of being with someone with lot of baggage means that she deserves to be wjth somebody else instead.

People with serious traumas need a partner who has a lot of patience and empathy. I appreciate that the OP is thinking about how to communicate a rejection.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know OP, do you have the will to try help her in working out all these issues? not saying you should be in a relationship with her, but maybe with your help she can work out all the things going on on her life.

If you are just not interested, tell her that and that's it, it's better to be direct (altough you are holding out some honesty) and that will be end.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I agree with most of your points but personally for me it has been difficult to be in a relationship with someone who has not experienced similar traumas. It is sad that she gets hopeful, but the fact that he judges her this way and scared of being with someone with lot of baggage means that she deserves to be wjth somebody else instead.

People with serious traumas need a partner who has a lot of patience and empathy. I appreciate that the OP is thinking about how to communicate a rejection.

Absolutely. He's not good for her, too many assumptions and too little understanding.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I once had a huge crush on a guy online, we seemed to both like each other, I cherished our friendship and long discussions, we seemed to connect in a lot of ways despite being awkward and a bit broken. We saw eath other twice, and then he became very distant. Couldn't quite ghost me since we were in the same online social circle, but it almost felt like it. I didn't take the hint (I was young and naive) and kept on hoping, and he knew it, and that sucked. For months, I felt like I was in a shitty limbo, not knowing what happened, not knowing what to make of it, and hurting because it also felt like losing a friend on top of it all. Until he finally sent me a lengthy email containing both an apology, a rejection letter and a sweet farewell all packed into one. The minute I received it, I felt relief and freedom. And I almost immediately thanked him for it, because I needed it more than anything to finally move on, which I did quite instantly.

If you value and respect her, you'll have to be honest and straightforward, and reject her yourself. Please don't ghost her, or disappear without saying anything, just say "I don't like you that way, I'm sorry, I hope you'll find what you're looking for with someone else, but it will never happen with me". No need to go into details, but make it firm, clear, respectful, as well as kind enough, while saying how much you think she's a great person and deserves love and a good relationship, just not with you. That's the least anyone deserves in cases like these.

Last edited: