• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about exclusivity deals in general?

• Neutral - I either own the console/PC or don't mind the wait

Votes: 366 40.5%
  • It fucking sucks! Let me play *insert 3rd party game* from launch on my platform of choice, damn it!

Votes: 259 28.7%
  • I simply can't wait - I'll buy the console which has the games that interest me!

Votes: 94 10.4%
  • Timed exclusives suck, I don't mind timed exclusive content though (Spidey)

Votes: 13 1.4%
  • Timed exclusive content sucks, I don't mind timed exclusives though (The Medium)

Votes: 48 5.3%
  • I only get swayed by 1st party offerings

Votes: 123 13.6%

• Total voters

MJKadhim

Mar 7, 2019
Sweden / Södermanland
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Wars, prior ban for similar behavior
I dont understand why people start think about it now ? espically blame Sony when other companies do same, Phantsy star online is only on Xbox Why ? you didnt start talk about it ? Why Nintendo have Zelda and everybody licking their asses ? i have come to think maybe becuase Playstation offer great games thats why people got butthurt recantly ?

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I bought an Xbox One for Rise of the Tomb Raider and still feel bad about it

(I actually mostly bought it for Scalebound, but that didn't work out so well)

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never once have I had a chip on my shoulder about this, and, frankly, the people who are vocal about it usually just exaggerate the issue, IMO. It's never been anti-consumer to guarantee exclusivity of content, and in fact these sorts of deals usually guarantee that more content is getting made in the first place.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
First Party Exclusives have an influence on my decisions but I could care less about timed exclusivity and/or these marketing deals with some throwaway DLC.

I tend to play games as they come to me at a good price so Gamepass excluded I don't usually play games until a year or two after release.

From a business perspective, I am kind of against money exchanging hands between a platform holder and a large publisher for exclusivity because that typically is just screwing the players and the developers that sunk time into the game to line the pockets of some rich executive. (I still remember how upset Vince Zampella was when he found out Microsoft had bought exclusivity on Titanfall)

I am perfectly okay with any small - medium sized developer that takes some sort of financial kick back in exchange for platform exclusivity. Game development for the little guys is extremely risky so any type of deal that can provide them security and make their game better I am all for.

Last edited:

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
The only one that ever pissed me off was Street Fighter 5. Still bitter to this day.

And I own the ps4 version and the PC version.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I don't really care if it's exclusive content. It's very rare that a half decent game actually gets exclusive or timed content on one console. I guess I've also never care for time exclusives because Sony's gotten most of them in recent years and I've always owned their consoles. The tohught of not getting to play the Medium does hurt though, so I guess I'm going to start feeling that going into next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
0. I feel like exclusives and first-party software are at an all time low w/r/t significance. There are more quality games to play, old and new, all over the place, at any given time, at all price points, than ever before so exclusives are kind of whatever at this point.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Exclusives only suck if there's crossplatform multiplayer.

If I'm playing a shitty version of a game, then I want everyone else to have what I have when I go online.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are shit but I just wait on a extremely low sale for timed exclusive games, unless I'm really interested in them, to where I'll go out my way to play them on whatever platform they are on (next gen timed exclusives can fuck off though, not planning on buying both systems anytime soon and timed exclusive games aren't getting me running out to buy the system if I already have it's twin), but that's very rare, as I have plenty of games to play instead.

Timed exclusive content I couldn't give less of a shit about, I'm playing those games where my friends are, not where I get early access to content I probably won't even bother with, Hawkmoon is the only timed exclusive content that comes to mind as something I used and enjoyed a lot, I hated pretty much all the other content (MP maps and strikes) or just didn't bother using them. In SP games it's pretty much always just completely avoidable content.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I dont understand why people start think about it now ? espically blame Sony when other companies do same, Phantsy star online is only on Xbox Why ? you didnt start talk about it ? Why Nintendo have Zelda and everybody licking their asses ? i have come to think maybe becuase Playstation offer great games thats why people got butthurt recantly ?
Did you seriously just compare Zelda, a Nintendo owned IP to Phantasy Star Online on Xbox?

Nobody is complaining about exclusives owned/published by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. There is a big difference between paying Square Enix to keep Spider-Man away from other platforms, versus Sony making an exclusive Spider-Man game from the ground up for PS4.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not entitled enough to think I deserve to play every game ever released on whatever platform I happen to own.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3rd party exclusives annoy me in the same way storefront exclusivity annoys me.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Depends, if it's something significant like a timed exclusive game or a section of a story being locked out I just wait for it to go on a sale.

If it is just cosmetics or something multiplayer related i just shrug and get the game anyways.

MJKadhim

Mar 7, 2019
Sweden / Södermanland
Did you seriously just compare Zelda, a Nintendo owned IP to Phantasy Star Online on Xbox?

Nobody is complaining about exclusives owned/published by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. There is a big difference between paying Square Enix to keep Spider-Man away from other platforms, versus Sony making an exclusive Spider-Man game from the ground up for PS4.

Sony Own Spiderman my friend ! lol

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The only time a timed exclusive game has some kind of boycott from me ,was Rise of Tomb Raider(because the first one was multi),when launched on PS4 I didn't mind wait a few years until was super cheap,and I am glad I did,because the game is mediocre,other than that,I never cared for timed exclusives,if a game I want to play will be launched on PS4 or Switch later I will wait,if I really want to play I buy day one,if is a game I want to play but not a must have for me,I wait for a sale.

Exclusive content in gaming,I never cared,still don't care if the game still delivery all the original content.

Exclusive deals don't affect my purchase of consoles,what affect is first party games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I buy the hardware that has the exclusives I want. I'm not terribly invested in any one "ecosystem" and don't care about other shit like what platform my friends play on (what friends?) or Gamepass (I like owning games). Exclusives are what motivates me to purchase consoles, period.

Timed exclusives can add on to things. Exclusive content can get me to change the platform I'd buy a game on but I can't think of a case where it's ever been significant enough to get me to buy a console. It's all fair game I guess.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Voted for the 1st option as I have a PS4 and PlayStation gets everything. Other platforms getting timed exclusives doesn't bother me as I know it will come to my console of choice eventually. I know I'm not going to face a drought and thanks to bc I won't have a drought on PS5 neither.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Where's the "It sucks, but I'm not a entitled brat who is going to cry about it, and demand that it come to "my" system either", option?

I really don't feel like any of the poll options express at all how I feel about them.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The thread title and poll are two different questions. I don't care much for the practice of exclusive deals unless it makes sense (like a first party funding a game and allowing it to be created).

But exclusives determine which console I buy. As I make a decision on next gen, PS5 is winning the battle so far, if MS comes out and announces some exclusives that I care about, I'll buy an Xbox Series X instead.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have owned the big 3's consoles since the PS2/GC/Xbox era, so exclusive content has not really ever been something I've worried about. If a game has exclusive features or timed exclusivity, I buy the game on that platform and play there.
However, I don't really play online games, so I don't have to follow friends to whatever platform they are on.

For most, I can see how this can be a very bad thing. I wish games did not have exclusive features, or came out earlier on certain consoles. The big console makers have their 1st party games, that are used to distinguish them from one another. I do not need multiplatform games to also have differences with each other to make one stand out over the other.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for consumers. I plan to buy both consoles at some point. That said, neither Sony nor MS has grabbed a big enough franchise where I have to question which console I will buy at launch.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, and even Sucker Punch to some extent. Those are the companies influencing what console I buy next generation. There are all sorts of differences in consoles, mostly minor, some major (like say game pass, big thing in xbox's favour). At the end of the day though PS5 is the only console I can play games from those developers, so that is the one I'll get. If an xbox developer comes out with a big breakaway hit that interests me, maybe I'd look at an xbox down the road some day. But I don't care about Halo, don't care about Gears of War.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Sony Own Spiderman my friend ! lol
It seems that you are misinformed. Sony only owns the film rights to Spider-Man and the Spider-Man universe. Disney/Marvel still owns the rights to Spider-Man in every other form of media, hence the deal Sony had to make to be allowed to make an exclusive Spider-Man PS4 game. This is also the reason why Spider-Man continues to appear on platforms outside of Sony's control (MvC: Infinite, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc.).

To make it simple:
  • If Spider-Man appears in comics it is under the control of Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney owns the rights to Spider-Man comics.
  • If Spider-Man appears on film it is under the control of Sony Pictures. Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man movies.
  • Spider-Man merchandise is owned and controlled by Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney own the rights to Spider-Man merchandise. Video games would fall under this category.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like exclusives. That's why I buy consoles. And I want more Playstation exclusives because that's the ecosystem I have. I don't care about PC or Xbox.
For me it's black and white. It's a Playstation exclusive? Bring it on! it's and Xbox exclusive? I can live without playing it because I'm not interested in buy and Xbox at all.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
On PC, it usually means getting a more feature-complete (e.g. DLC) and less buggy version of the game on release, so I don't mind waiting.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I don't give a shit, if it's a game I'm interested in, I'll buy it whenever it becomes available on Playstation.

MJKadhim

Mar 7, 2019
Sweden / Södermanland
It seems that you are misinformed. Sony only owns the film rights to Spider-Man and the Spider-Man universe. Disney/Marvel still owns the rights to Spider-Man in every other form of media, hence the deal Sony had to make to be allowed to make an exclusive Spider-Man PS4 game. This is also the reason why Spider-Man continues to appear on platforms outside of Sony's control (MvC: Infinite, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc.).

To make it simple:
  • If Spider-Man appears in comics it is under the control of Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney owns the rights to Spider-Man comics.
  • If Spider-Man appears on film it is under the control of Sony Pictures. Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man movies.
  • Spider-Man merchandise is owned and controlled by Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney own the rights to Spider-Man merchandise. Video games would fall under this category.
So you are telling me that Sony pay to Marvel each time they need to make a Spiderman game ? lol

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind at all if the deal is helping make the game.

Like, I don't know whats up with the Medium but its a small team and its plausible that bringing it to a timed exclusive helped them finance the completion of the project. The same could be said for lots of the games Sony showed during their conference.

If it appears to be just to fuck players on other platforms (Destiny, Spiderman, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Control, CoD maps) for marketing brownie points everyone involved can go fuck themselves.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually don't care as much about game exclusives, since I typically get most of the consoles I want eventually or the games are ported.

Exclusive content really sucks, because it always makes me feel like I'm somehow playing an inferior version or are somehow "missing" part of the game. I felt this way about some of the pre-order bonuses too back in the 360/PS3 era where it was more egregious.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
Timed exclusives aren't too bad. Exclusive content is annoying and really sours me on the whole game. Once I need a flowchart to determine where to get a game, I'm out. There's so much to play, I don't want to support that tomfoolery

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I like them, i always get every console anyways. I want all of them to have unique content for that reason.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Victorious Boxers, FFX and MGS2 are the reason I bought a PS2 (all out within a month of each other roughly). KOTOR is the reason I bought the original Xbox. Oblivion is the reason I bought an Xbox 360. I can't remember what pushed me to buy a PS3 to be honest, but I'm certain it was an exclusive.

Exclusives drive console sales for me generally speaking. The Xbox One didn't have an exclusive that made it worth owning so I skipped it.

Oct 27, 2017
There's usually plenty of games to play that it doesn't particularly bother me if I can't play a title right away.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020

These are not even comparable. Zelda is a Nintendo owned IP. That's like saying Microsoft have Master Chief and getting mad it's not on other platforms. It's been floated that Microsoft was instrumental in bringing PSO to the west (it's already on PS in around Asia, I think). So of course MS is going to want a timed exclusive on that. PSO will be coming to PS in the west eventually.