• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sars-Cov-2 is secretly pro-communist, i.e., more likely to infect people who are holding capitalist beliefs?🤔

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Canada with a 37.7Million population:
Total Cases-77,002
Total Deaths-5,782

China with a 1.4BILLION population:
Total Cases-82,954
TotalDeaths-4,634

China has about 36 times the population of Canada, yet Canada has more deaths.

Wow Canada, your response to this has been kind of bad in comparison to the Chinese Government's totally accurate numbers. /s

Jesus! Canada has even been recognized as having one of the best responses too! Hilarious.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus! Canada has even been recognized as having one of the best responses too! Hilarious.

It does?

Australia: 7000 cases, 99 deaths.

Population of 25 million, so fairly close to canada.

South korea: 11K cases, 263 deaths

Population 51 million.

I think objectively you cannot say they have one of the best responses.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
so the theory is that for some reason Russia is reporting cases accurately but covering up deaths? why wouldnt they cover up both?

Having the lowest mortality rate in the world allows to them brag about their amazing healthcare system and superior Slavic genes.

Seriously though, as covid-19 is almost exponentially deadlier once you hit 80 y/o, I could see why countries with a lower median age have way less deaths.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Having the lowest mortality rate in the world allows to them brag about their amazing healthcare system and superior Slavic genes.

Seriously though, as covid-19 is almost exponentially deadlier once you hit 80 y/o, I could see why countries with a lower median age have way less deaths.

Isn't it more deadly to obese people too?

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
My theories and speculations:

* West overestimate how good we are in all spheres of life compared to the East. So perhaps when it comes to pandemic response, medical services and general hygiene, these countries are actually better than us contrary to what we would commonly believe because the usual narrative is "West is Best" which automatically makes us patronise and have a superiority complex to Eastern countries.

* Eastern countries are not as networked as Western countries, they aren't on the globalised grid of inter-travel to the same extent as the Western countries, so the number of contact points for the virus to spread is lessened for them. The same reason used to explain why the West is the most vibrant part of Human Civilisation, can also be used to explain why a Pandemic affects them moreso than countries that are relatively isolated in comparison.

* Under-reporting by Russia and China. Totalitarian nations ensuring the mass media narrative makes things look better than the reality.

* Totalitarian nations are able to more strictly control their populations and implement draconian measures, both actions which Western democratic countries cannot implement to the same extent.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
tenoru9k1d.gif

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Same reason about why Venezuela as a whole, doesn't even reach the total numbers of COVID-19 cases when compared to even cities like Bogotá (Colombia) o Buenos Aires (Argentina): The government is lying

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
There's no evidence to suggest china and russia are lying that much more compared with some western goverments. If you aren't counting death from complications due to underlying condiditions or pneumonia I'd call that pretty bad manipulation of the figures

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

China certainly under-reported their deaths but they have a culture of people wearing masks already and they had an authoritarian response to totally lock down areas with military/police that were hotspots.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
While the death count is probably much higher in China, majority of the citizens had good self control - practiced social distancing and wore masks unlike the morons in US.
While I don't wholely believe the reports that comes from China, they also employ a harsher method to curb the curve. Remember the whole Wuhan was locked, 10 temp hospitals were made within a week, and then non stop testing. So in a sense, yes, their smaller outbreak percentage is more believable than US or Russia.

* West overestimate how good we are in all spheres of life compared to the East. So perhaps when it comes to pandemic response, medical services and general hygiene, these countries are actually better than us contrary to what we would commonly believe because the usual narrative is "West is Best" which automatically makes us patronise and have a superiority complex to Eastern countries.

* Eastern countries are not as networked as Western countries, they aren't on the globalised grid of inter-travel to the same extent as the Western countries, so the number of contact points for the virus to spread is lessened for them. The same reason used to explain why the West is the most vibrant part of Human Civilisation, can also be used to explain why a Pandemic affects them moreso than countries that are relatively isolated in comparison.

* Under-reporting by Russia and China. Totalitarian nations ensuring the mass media narrative makes things look better than the reality.

* Totalitarian nations are able to more strictly control their populations and implement draconian measures, both actions which Western democratic countries cannot implement to the same extent.
Who knew a post could be so informative yet also sticking to a logical standpoint without the use of gifs or memes.

Nov 9, 2017
False reporting. Also people in these countries are mostly too afraid of the government to disobey guidelines. 'Muricans decide to get armed and go to the statehouse to protest in crowds.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Who knew a post could be so informative yet also sticking to a logical standpoint without the use of gifs or memes.
That is very kind of you to say, thank you :).

I'm actually making plans to become a content creator (Gaming video essays is the priority, but I have Humanities based interests I may delve into as well). Sometimes I doubt myself about it, but when I receive such wonderful reactions to posts I make online, it makes me think that I am underestimating myself :).

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

Bingo. We got a winner here.

China's numbers, man, yall know to not believe that.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I.....see.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not tbh.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno about point two. Internet infrastructure in a lot of Eastern countries are way more advanced...public transportation systems too. Sure with China there's the great firewall but connecting its citizens to one another via internet, I'd gather China is very advanced in that. SK has probably the fastest internet in the world. etc..

There's a large amount of Americans that really need to travel more. A quick look around the world shows just how poor our infrastructure is in general as other countries have continually improved and surpassed us.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
[
I dunno about point two. Internet infrastructure in a lot of Eastern countries are way more advanced...public transportation systems too. Sure with China there's the great firewall but connecting its citizens to one another via internet, I'd gather China is very advanced in that. SK has probably the fastest internet in the world. etc..

There's a large amount of Americans that really need to travel more. A quick look around the world shows just how poor our infrastructure is in general as other countries have continually improved and surpassed us.

Seriously. That last part.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Will clarify here, in case there is any misunderstanding.

"makes us patronise and have a superiority complex to Eastern countries."

I'm just explaining the common thing that happens in the West. A patronising and superiority complex towards non-Western countries.

"* why the West is the most vibrant part of Human Civilisation, can also be used to explain why a Pandemic affects them moreso than countries that are relatively isolated "

Here perhaps my choice of words wasn't ideal and leads to a connotation that I didn't intend.

It's surely objectively true that the key nexus for industrialisation and modern Scientific and cultural advancement, is Western Europe. One of the reasons given for why the West had a head start in this (and still is leading to this day) is the open exchange of information and people on a Pan-European basis, which today has a modern incarnation in the EU. Many other regions of the World aren't as tight knit and networked with their neighbours, as Europe is, many non-European countries are still relatively isolated in comparison. This helps lessen the impact of a pandemic on them.

Haha I didn't mean internet here :P I meant "network" as in people moving around and free exchange of ideas.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyone out there that actually believes those figures?

I'm just explaining the common thing that happens in the West. A patronising and superiority complex towards non-Western countries.

"* why the West is the most vibrant part of Human Civilisation, can also be used to explain why a Pandemic affects them moreso than countries that are relatively isolated "

Here perhaps my choice of words wasn't ideal and leads to a connotation that I didn't intend.

It's surely objectively true that the key nexus for industrialisation and modern Scientific and cultural advancement, is Western Europe. One of the reasons given for why the West had a head start in this (and still is leading to this day) is the open exchange of information and people on a Pan-European basis, which today has a modern incarnation in the EU. Many other regions of the World aren't as tight knit and networked with their neighbours, as Europe is, many non-European countries are still relatively isolated in comparison. This helps lessen the impact of a pandemic on them.

Haha I didn't mean internet here :P I meant "network" as in people moving around and free exchange of ideas.
Yep, and that's what you would expect from Totalitarian nations where censorship is much more present than in the west.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

To be honest, I don't think you have full understanding of all the words you're using and I don't think I speak your native language so any further discussion is futile as I doubt we'll be arguing from the same premises.

I will say that I strongly suggest you consider that all sources are biased, even the Western ones. Keep in mind the West tends to overestimate their own ...."democratic" tendencies, and many times underestimate others.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The government of a nation that poisons any political opposition and the government of a nation that has severely dismantled civil liberties to the point of arresting anyone who criticizes their leader are both potentially lying about their numbers, yes.

To be honest, I don't think you have full understanding of all the words you're using and I don't think I speak your native language so any further discussion is futile as I doubt we'll be arguing from the same premises.

I will say that I strongly suggest you consider that all sources are biased, even the Western ones. Keep in mind the West tends to overestimate their own ...."democratic" tendencies, and many times underestimate others.
Pretty sure he isn't debating whether one is better than the other, but simply giving his thoughts as to why certain point of views and methods differs. For exemple why the measures taken are different and/or pushed onto their civilians much easier compared to the other.

I feel I understand Midgarian enough to say so, though I could always be wrong.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't mean just internet either. You wrote about Eastern cultures living in isolation when that's not true. Internet is only used as an example along with public transportation. Infrastructure wise the inhabitants within Eastern Countries connected and densely populated.