• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you still entertained after the 1st season?

• No

Votes: 120 16.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 516 71.3%
  • Yes but interest began to wane

Votes: 88 12.2%

• Total voters

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I don't remember literally anything that happened in season 1 or 2 or the first half of season 3. I'd hardly call the second half of season 3 a masterpiece but it was at least somewhat interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never, ever heard of someone feeling this way about an anime, pushing through and then pulling a 180 and loving their time with it. If you aren't feeling it, don't watch it. I'm certain the vast majority of people that love AoT loved it all the way through, even if they prefer certain seasons over others.
Nah, what you described was my experience exactly. Fell off after mid-season 2 from lack of interest, friend convinced me to keep going, got to season 3 and experienced some of most intense twists and story in any anime I've ever seen. Completely worth it. Sometimes even your favorite shows have rough spots you need to power through.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So my interest waned after I heard the author was a Nationalist but lately I was trying to find some more info about that and didnt seem to find anything super conclusive, can anyone here expand on the matter a bit more?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The first season was good but afterwards it became excellent and I thought that was fairly universal so I'm not sure where this question is coming from.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
So my interest waned after I heard the author was a Nationalist but lately I was trying to find some more info about that and didnt seem to find anything super conclusive, can anyone here expand on the matter a bit more?
Nah, they kinda want to justify why the plot evolves the way it is because he was nationalist, but imo it's the fans doing to much speculation and conspiracy theory.
The story turns out fine, and it's chapter is still amazing. These days if your story has some kind of political element, people likes to accuse you of slipping a political message.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suffered the first half of the 3rd season then bounced. Giant waste of time.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
The first season is okay, but after watching the other two seasons I'm surprised someone would have this opinion tbh. Seasons 2+3 are exceptional and are not only superior to the first, but manage to elevate the first season retroactively.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

some people seem to believe, at the very same time, that the Eldians' struggles (most of the main characters are Eldian) represent a glamorization of Japanese nationalism and that the Eldians are coded as Jews in an anti-Semitic way

I guess it's possible to reconcile those two views, but I haven't seen a lot of people really do that kind of finessing

anyway, it's definitely true that AoT's themes and plotlines unfold with some amount of awkwardness in how they somewhat haphazardly evoke some heavy real life shit, but the whole thing has been interesting and well done enough that I'm down to see where it ends up and hold off on a final evaluation

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Season 2 was mixed for me but season 3 blew me out of the water.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Funny. As far Mystery Boxes go, I think AoT's basement is one of the very few that not only actually lived up to the hype, but way surpassed my expectations.
I'll admit, at first I wasn't too sure about the contents of that mystery box, but it seems like it gets better the more you think on it. I still wonder if there wasn't something better than could have been in there, but at least one part for sure--the revelation of who the "real enemy" is--is actually brilliant.
Yeah, I heard about what happened and it sounded... intriguing at least.
Not enough for me to catch up to a couple of seasons of the show, but hey. lol

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few recent mainstream media where "the mystery" being unfolded makes everything better, instead of devoiding the series of its purpose.
it's damn good.
And S4 should be strong.as.fuck.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I lost interest midway through season 2 I think. Or the start of 3 idr. I just didn't care about a single character.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love it, I dropped it for years when it focused on humans and conspiracies but lord did it ever pick up and get amazing again.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was bummed when the colossal titan
turned out to be a relatively nobody
, but as I watched, grew to love that direction so it can move on to more interesting characters and plot like end of season 3.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading it monthly for like 8 years and my interest has only grown over time

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
the story is great for a while then dips a bit but comes back full force

i love it, lots of great stuff happens after season 1

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually curious about this because I personally stopped finding the story uninteresting after the first season. I believe the reason I enjoyed the 1st season was the suspense, mystery and contained experience it had. Like.. who was the titan masquerading as a squad member? What the fuck is going to happen? Etc. Once I read ahead and more of the world reveal itself... the story turned out to not be that interesting anymore. The mystery and suspense is no longer there. I feel like the tone and style changes after the 1st season.

Either that's a typo or I'm terribly confused.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 was okay
Season 2 is mediocre
Season 3 is fcuking good
Season 4 is gonna be the best imo.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
My interest in the series defintly ebbs and flows. Peak interest was probably the arc right after the 3rd season of the anime but its kind of losing again in hte end game now.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but they fucked up. Anecdotally, I knew people who never even kind of cared about anime who were hyped about it. But season 2 took so long to come out that they didn't really keep up.

And I just read the manga, and later the wiki (because manga chapters also took eons to come out).

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interest dropped after being so disappointed in season 1. outside of key S2 and S3 episodes, haven't looked back since.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought S1 was just okay. Loved loved loved loved S2. Haven't watched more than an episode or two of S3, but I do intend to rectify that. So I'd say I'm still interested in it.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
The mystery of the Titans was really interesting and the ways they fought them were cool. Then they spoiled the mystery pretty fast and it just nose dived into being as stupid as possible. Everything I've heard explained to me after I stopped sounds just like they really want to drive home that they never should have spoiled the mystery. Be like if they solved who killed Laura Palmer in episode 2. I dunno if I should be comparing this to something as good as Twin Peaks though.

Then Later i find out after that Isayama seems to idolize a war criminal and seems to believe the Japanese invasion of Korea was not bad and in fact was actually an extremely good thing for Korea and yeah. Hmm.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I thought it was at its best early on, when I didn't know what the fuck was going on. The horror of the giants outside the wall and the constant siege was very effective and interesting to me. All the explanations and the titan versus titan fights not so much.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The mystery of the Titans was really interesting and the ways they fought them were cool. Then they spoiled the mystery pretty fast and it just nose dived into being as stupid as possible. Everything I've heard explained to me after I stopped sounds just like they really want to drive home that they never should have spoiled the mystery. Be like if they solved who killed Laura Palmer in episode 2. I dunno if I should be comparing this to something as good as Twin Peaks though.

Then Later i find out after that Isayama seems to idolize a war criminal and seems to believe the Japanese invasion of Korea was not bad and in fact was actually an extremely good thing for Korea and yeah. Hmm.

Will say that hearing things explained to you is never going to sound good.

It's all about the execution and the execution of the story is brilliant and I say that as someone that criticized the nationalist undertones of the story but now realize that Isayama really is turning it around and deconstructing said undertones...so far anyway.

I don't even like Eren and have to admit that his character arc is damn impressive.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even like Eren and have to admit that his character arc is damn impressive.
He starts as an absolutely cookie-cutter shounen protagonist in the form of an insufferable moron with more rage than skill or sense, and becomes a vastly more mature and nuanced person by the third season. He became one of my favourite characters, when I was originally watching for everyone around him instead. His character growth is really good.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It definitely improves and keeps building to a wonderfully realized story, one of the best in manga/anime. I could go on about how the characters all feel meaningful and the reveals are actually worth it.

I feel legit sad for anyone who stopped at S1 or couldn't get into it.

Oct 27, 2017
It starts like a generic mecha anime with interesting lore. Now it is something else. It became one of the most consistent great manga I have ever seen. There are some really amazing revelations later on and the author delivered on the hype.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It only got better as time went on. I never expected it to be this good. I was pretty hyped up after the end of S1 but the gap with S2 completely killed my interest until I chose to try it out and got blown away all over again.

Oct 28, 2017

I believe the whole nationalism business comes from an interview he basically Douglas MacArthur'ed an Imperial Japanese general that was in the occupation of Korea, who is the basis of a character in the manga who is generally presented as an asshole who sometimes does OK things. I think it isn't difficult to believe that he has nationalistic tendencies.

What I will say is that the manga itself, despite the exploitation of militaristic themes to sell product (this is a problem in general, Gundam has done this for decades), is pretty close to the opposite of 14/88 bullshit because he's cribbing shit from war media and the majority of war media is not openly* pro-war and pro-ethnic cleansing. If anything, he's more Polanski than Dinesh D'Souza.

*I can see why people might see why the manga is pro-militarist when combined with that interview but I still don't think the author was intentionally producing fascist propaganda. I dunno how people read the first chapter that introduces the scouting legion and think he's purposely glorifying it. Talking about Attack on Titan in general, I think conflating the idea that he's a nationalist and misreading the manga is a pretty bad idea as it is very possible for people to write media that doesn't align with their political views and personal actions. Its honestly better to just say don't read Attack on Titan because the guy is very likely a huge war crime denying asshole.

I remember a Robert Ebert article where he watched Full Metal Jacket, something people often consider to be a great anti-war film, with a Vietnam veteran. When Ebert asked him what he thought about it, he responded that it was just another awful pro-war movie because it would serve as a recruiting film. Considering how many people consider key scenes of the movie, including the boot camp sections, to be extremely awesome and cool, he'd probably be correct. It isn't to the degree of Top Gun, which is straight up US Air Force propaganda considering the movie wouldn't work without their involvement, but its probably a net negative in terms of encouraging sociopaths to join the armed forces. Entertainment media that directly involves warfare has a tendency of glorifying it due to the nature of the media being entertainment rather than a conscious effort.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the whole nationalism business comes from an interview he basically Douglas MacArthur'ed an Imperial Japanese general that was in the occupation of Korea, who is the basis of a character in the manga who is generally presented as an asshole who sometimes does OK things. I think it isn't difficult to believe that he has nationalistic tendencies.

What I will say is that the manga itself, despite the exploitation of militaristic themes to sell product (this is a problem in general, Gundam has done this for decades), is pretty close to the opposite of 14/88 bullshit because he's cribbing shit from war media and the majority of war media is not openly* pro-war and pro-ethnic cleansing. If anything, he's more Polanski than Dinesh D'Souza.

*I can see why people might see why the manga is pro-militarist when combined with that interview but I still don't think the author was intentionally producing fascist propaganda. I dunno how people read the first chapter that introduces the scouting legion and think he's purposely glorifying it. Talking about Attack on Titan in general, I think conflating the idea that he's a nationalist and misreading the manga is a pretty bad idea as it is very possible for people to write media that doesn't align with their political views and personal actions. Its honestly better to just say don't read Attack on Titan because the guy is very likely a huge war crime denying asshole.

I remember a Robert Ebert article where he watched Full Metal Jacket, something people often consider to be a great anti-war film, with a Vietnam veteran. When Ebert asked him what he thought about it, he responded that it was just another awful pro-war movie because it would serve as a recruiting film. Considering how many people consider key scenes of the movie, including the boot camp sections, to be extremely awesome and cool, he'd probably be correct. It isn't to the degree of Top Gun, which is straight up US Air Force propaganda considering the movie wouldn't work without their involvement, but its probably a net negative in terms of encouraging sociopaths to join the armed forces. Entertainment media that directly involves warfare has a tendency of glorifying it due to the nature of the media being entertainment rather than a conscious effort.

Is there evidence for the bold part? It all seems to be based on an unconfirmed twitter account of his that likened the Japanese war criminal to a character in the show and handwaved Japan's war crimes in Korea by saying that equating them to the holocaust is a crude misunderstanding. That was in 2013, the involved accounts no longer exist / are protected and everything is in Japanese to boot, so working with the source material is difficult.

In any case, the way the story develops is definitely not pro-war, pro-nationalism or imperialistic. There was also a discussion about aot possibly getting into "the jews did this / they deserved it" allegory territory, which was dismissed when the story progressed and more became known about where the series is headed. In fact (without trying to spoil anything post season 3), I think the core message is that an affinity for any of those things is bound to lead to destruction, and even people who fought for their liberation can get twisted into nationalist extremists. I think the current unfavorable take on the story is that it allegorically implies 'the past is the past, let's kinda move over the horrible war shit we did in the past and live in peace again' when it comes to Japan, which isn't the same thing as outright denial, but yeah it's iffy.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The second cour of Season 3 is my favourite part of the series, so my high expectations after the events of Season 1 were respected (note that I read the full manga before the anime, and this year, though). Looking forward to readint toe ending, too. I am sure the author will surprise the readers someway, again.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It is one of the very few manga/anime that goes from "okay I guess" to legit good, with insane tonal mood and character shift.

Generally main character is the most annoying character but Eren becomes show stealer, every scene with him being great.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
When it's all said and done AoT will go down as one of the GOATs. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of an anime ever.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
No matter how it ends, it will always get credit from me for being one of the very few series that builds up a big twist as "it will change everything" and actually fucking delivers it.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
My interest has only grown the more the story has progressed.

Same and I have to say that season 1 was probably the worst one so far (tho still very good).

I haven't seen the season 4 trailer and I don't plan to (don't want to get spoiled), but I heard people saying that it's supposed to be the last season? Isn't the manga still ongoing?

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't seen the season 4 trailer and I don't plan to (don't want to get spoiled), but I heard people saying that it's supposed to be the last season?
It's literally called "The Final Season", so yes.

Isn't the manga still ongoing?
It is, but it appears to be nearly over. Back in December, the author said the serialization would end sometime in 2020, for what it's worth.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching the first season when I was a freshman in college. I didn't watch anime that much outside of mainstream ones like Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh when I was a kid, but I was definitely into Attack on Titan. I think it was sometime after the second season that I decided to spoil myself. I didn't even really read the manga; I only read the summaries on the Wiki page. But with the release of later seasons, I definitely got kinda mixed up on what happened when and who's against whom and all that jazz, so I'm probably going to end up re-watching all of the episodes sometime. I'm reading the manga chapters as they release now, and I'm not sure I like the direction it's going. But it's certainly different, and I'm eager to see how it ends. The break between season one and season two was a serious downer, though.