• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Back in 2001, I made my first e-mail account. I was 15 and pretty into FF8 at the time, so I wanted it to be "Griever". it was taken. Holy was the strongest elemental magic in the game, so, "Holygriever".

I kinda regret the "holy" part nowadays, but I've been using it for *so long* that it has stuck.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Comedian Hard Gay from Japan (in my defense, it was like 2007 when I watched his skits and I was a stupid kid back then) and the Rojo (red in Spanish) comes from a nickname my friends gave to me in university because they didn't know my real name (it was the first week) and I was wearing a red sweatshirt I believe.
Stuck with the "Hard" part because I feel like it sounds cool and it doesn't need to be tied to anything in particular in the end.

rewkol

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just hit random letters on the keyboard when I was making my umpteenth neopets account as a kid after forgetting the password to the last one. Somehow I liked it enough and it's stuck around for 15 years or more now.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I just combined the names of a bunch of characters I like for my PSN name. Those were Cloud Strife, Riku (Kingdom Hearts), and Mello (Death Note). Smash them together, and voila. I was in, like, middle school or early high school at the time and I kinda consider changing it, but it's what I'm used to so I leave it alone. At least I still like all those characters, too.

For everything since then, I pretty much use the same name as I have on here. It was combining Final Fantasy with Skies of Arcadia. I guess I just really like combining names.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Chucker is just Chuck with er on the end of it.
Chux is just Chuck with an X. One is from the 90's, one is not lol.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
My online handle was just Mallas when I first started out on message boards over 2 decades ago. Then I found the gamers.com EGM boards and that shitbird Mielke banned me for some bullshit and I just made a new account UraMallas. I've had it ever since. I can't actually remember what the Ura was about but I remember coming back immediately as NeoMallas and talking shit to him and he banned me in like... 2 seconds. So UraMallas was my third account there after I cooled off.

Xbox Live came out later that year and I was gaming with some people from the site so I decided to stick with what they knew me by UraMallas. The rest is history.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Username is a shortened version of my usual tag, GongStation as I've always been a fan of Number Stations and this was one of the eeriest things you'll ever hear, totally captured my imagination.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I put a bunch of dumb names in the copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U at work and Tiny Hawk just seemed to be my go-to at some point.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Chocobo_Aqua

Chocobos are cute and Aqua is my favourite KH character.

As for Era, it's my name and the word chaser in an old Kingdom Hearts secret ending.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Kamaji.jpg

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It was like 2010 or so for me and I was 10, I chose CerealBro1 because when I finally got a 360 that had wireless capabilities and could get Xbox Live, the neighbor kids I was friends with all had a similar format in their names (There was a WaffleBro1, a BreakfastBro1, a BaconBro1 and something else, all with different spellings and formats iirc) and so I was like "cool" and chose just CerealBro1. Within like 6 months all the kids changed their names to something else but a name change cost like $15 at the time and since I was a broke kid I just stuck with it for all these years. I would later use the name on other forums (namely Activision COD forums and the CODZombies forum) and like 6 years ago a friend of mine made my profile picture when she was trying to get into Photoshop and so that's pretty much just solidified why I use that name here and everywhere except PSN honestly, despite being a stupid and childish name lol

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
When I was registering for the SRK forum to get games in 3S looked over at my Sega Genesis. The top saying "High Definition Graphics 16-Bit" was funny. So I named myself 16 Bit and put High Definition Graphics as the tag under the name. I've now used it for like 20 years. It's okay.

GagazetSK

Feb 18, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
Used to play an online game called 'Star Kingdoms', hence the SK at the end of my name.
In that game you had planet types that worked like a character class. Back when I started I normally went 'Mountainous' type, and around that time Final Fantasy X had just released. Naturally I chose 'Mt Gagazet' with it being the prominent mountain in a game I loved, and over time that's what everyone came to know me by ingame.
The name sorta just stuck to me afterwards as the community dispersed away from Star Kingdoms to other games as a way for friends to find me and stay in touch.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Cyrus is my favorite character from Chrono Trigger and Saren is my favorite villains in the Mass Effect series. Stuck them both together.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I was watching Action Jackson while setting up my Xbox live account. I thought Applesauce Jackson sounded funny. It has followed me everywhere since.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Not the online handle I've always gone by, but there was a phase about 8 years ago when I was playing an MMO and everything I named in it (characters, guild names, etc) was Judas Priest song themed. Caviar & Meths was a short instrumental outro on their first album. It was the one that kind of just stuck after I quit that game.

The game I play now (FF14), my characters are generally somewhat lore-friendly variations of Caviar. For example, I had a Dunesfolk Lalafell named Vivica Vica, which is just the syllables of Caviar arranged in a way that fits their naming convention.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Kimbo Slice was the hottest thing on YouTube at the time. It's stuck ever since. Rip Kimbo

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I grew into it and enjoy the irony of the idea of someone caring enough to hold this name as a title.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
One of my friends used to call me by my nickname kinda translated into English. I kept this one online.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Couldn't come up with anything. Started going through song titles by band. Ended up on the Grateful Dead. Ended up going with the first song on their first studio album, since all the easy ones (St Stephen, Tennessee Jed, what have you) were all taken.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
In 2007 I was staying in Tokyo and did the Yamanote Line Roulette where you sleep on the train at night and the station you wake up in is the place you spend for the day. I ended up in Takadanobaba and wandered around the entire day seeing the sights, eating lunch and dinner and then eventually ending up in a Funk/Karaoke bar. I got completely and utterly drunk off my mind and ended up crawling under the stage to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, the doors were locked and I could not get out. I stayed in there twiddling my thumbs wondering if I'd be in trouble for break and enter or something. Luckily at mid day a cleaner came through and let me out after I explained what happened. I was late for lunch with a friend and showed up in Ikebukuro way later than I wanted to. When he asked why I was not answering my phone and so late, I said "Sorry, I got drunk and locked up in a Tokyo Funk bar"

So. That's reason enough.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
My dad called me Scarecrow when i was younger cause im tall and lanky like one. I couldn't think of anything at the time that wasn't edgy, so i went with that.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I had some sort of magazine that was trying to sell squid jerky from japan. I was like "that's dumb" so I made it my name. Eventually certain places wouldn't let me use that name so i changed it to this.

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
It is the name of the first character I ever made for a ttrpg. He was a smuggler in the Star Wars D6 game from WEG. That was fun time.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It's what my Korean grandmother called me because she couldn't pronounce "Christopher."

But people think my name is something like CW is tofu lol

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
gamertag F34RTEHR34PER came from listening to "Don't Fear the Reaper" Blue Oyster Cult. I did F34R as the forum I was on didn't allow such a long name. For the most part, F34R has stuck with me.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Was my character name in FFXI, fell in love with the name when I came across it being name dropped while studying Lord Byron's works in community college, which is what led to it being chosen as my name in FFXI

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It was once my initials... followed by my surname, which is quite uncommon. Not very smart. I changed wherever possible to my current one.

It is because psilocybin has some great potential in psychiatry. I'm a researcher myself (preclinal studies, which means rodents in my case) and I would love to study psychedelics. Unfortunately bureaucracy prevents me from doing it. And I would have to trust my students, lol.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Just one of the first games I used to play a lot. Been using this name since 96, I use it on everything pretty much unless they don't allow numbers in the name.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Well, my old gamertag and some of my accounts are Ricard Julianti....a purely made up name that I created the first time I played Oblivion when it came out. Somehow it stuck and is my usual "go-to" character name if I have the character space.

Suedemaker is a play on my last name and how people mess it up all the time when it's really not that hard.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I was sick of the Star Wars names I kept choosing being taken and having to append numbers, so I invented a new name from whole cloth that I thought sounded cool when I was fourteen years old and have stubbornly stuck with it for twenty years. Although I've kind of given up on the apostrophe: so few websites still use them it's just annoying to keep track of them.

On the one hand I'm not quite as fond of the name as high school me was, but on the other, it has served its purpose well: I've never encountered someone else trying to use it.

Jul 20, 2020
The song Black Republican came out by Jay Z. I loved it but it was taken so I named myself Blackdemocrat. I hate it now for obvious reasons. Get extra shit from the fringe groups on XBL.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
All of a sudden, I feel like watching this movie and Princess Mononoke again...

My gamertag is just my old nickname and my last name, so my friends could find/remember it easily.
My username is... just a copy of my old IGN username when I started posting on those boards back before the Gamecube came out.

Shit though... I could've been a "Virtua Justin." I messed up, man.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The year was... uh, early 2010s. My previous online gaming username "wookkiller" had become a tad too violent for my tastes, so I decided to change it.

I looked all around my room, eyes scouring every nook and cranny in search of inspiration.

They eventually landed on a fold-out cross section of the Enterprise-E hanging upon my wall, and, well... there you have it.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I picked a good name because it's nonsense that stands out but rolls off the tongue very easily

I'm like an app