• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Seriously, No Time For Caution in the docking scene is a mic drop moment, and easily my most adrenaline packed theatre experience.

Also, I dare anyone who has a kid not to get teary eyed from S.T.A.Y.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is anyone talking about The Grand Budapest Hotel score these days?

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Inception and Batman Begins/Dark Knight did not win best score either. Academy Awards are a fucking joke.

Edit: Whiplash didn't even get a nomination. smh

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
tenor.gif

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
The fact he wrote the main theme with just a note from Christopher Nolan saying "its about the relationship between and father and daughter" and he had no idea it was about space exploration...

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It had the misfortune of going up against the Grand Budapest Hotel score, which was also outstanding. It's essentially Alexandre Desplat's magnum opus.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I just found it to be a less interesting, watered down interpretation of Phillip Glass. I guess you can only take that formula so far if it's confined to the format of a movie score (then again I don't find Hans Zimmer to be a particularly good composer in the first place).

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Interstellar had a mixed reception as a film and it's quite rare for a film without a best picture nomination to win original score (The Hateful Eight was the only such winner in the 2010's). Also Desplat was a double nominee that year.

Personally, I would have probably given it to Mr. Turner.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Agreed. Incredible movie with a perfect soundtrack. Docking scene is among the best of cinema imo.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I dunno but it's a travesty.

I can still hear the soundtrack in my head very distinctly. It's one of the most memorable scores of the past 10 years, maybe longer.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Well, I mean, good ...

Oscars are bullshit in the best of times and also highly dependant on who else is nominated. And GBH had an absolutely great score.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because its just fine? It wouldn't make the top 10 of that year for me and doesn't touch either of Desplat's nominations.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When No Time for Caution kicks in during the docking scene in IMAX. I was left breathless and just sat there in awe for minutes after. I can't really explain it but I've never experienced that in a theater/movie. I still get chills every time I listen/rewatch the scene.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
On music creation forums, I see so-called professionals shit on the Interstellar soundtrack and Hans Zimmer way too regularly because it's (apparently) clichéd and simplistic. Well, the joke's on them. Hans Zimmer is so damn good exactly because he manages to work with simplicity and tried-and-proven harmonies to make something that truly elevates the movie he's composing for. Those same "professionals" couldn't have come up with something on the level of Interstellar in their wildest dreams, and they know it.

In my personal opinion, Interstellar features the best movie soundtrack of the past 10 years. (That I've heard, anyway)

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I tend to agree. Phenomenal soundtrack that I just listen to over and over again.

This reminds me that First Man somehow didn't even get a nomination

This soundtrack left me floored. There are few times I've come out of the cinema and just couldn't get the soundtrack off my mind like that. The landing in particular left me speechless. One of my

Oct 27, 2017
When No Time for Caution kicks in during the docking scene in IMAX. I was left breathless and just sat there in awe for minutes after. I can't really explain it but I've never experienced that in a theater/movie. I still get chills every time I listen/rewatch the scene.
Yep. I learned what "sitting on the edge of your seat" literally means during interstellar at 70mm IMAX. The first time I saw it I actually went alone (rare) on opening weekend in NYC at Lincoln center, and after that scene everyone just looked at person next to them despite being total strangers and literally shared a silent nod

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Agreed. Incredible movie with a perfect soundtrack. Docking scene is among the best of cinema imo.
That scene and the intro scene in Inglorious Basterds are the most I've ever been on the edge of my seat

Yep. I learned what "sitting on the edge of your seat" literally means during interstellar at 70mm IMAX. The first time I saw it I actually went alone (rare) on opening weekend in NYC at Lincoln center, and after that scene everyone just looked at person next to them despite being total strangers and literally shared a silent nod

This one gets it

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it at a Lincoln Center as well in 70mm and I was towards the back. You felt that score in your body in that theater it was incredible.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I still listen to its soundtrack every now and then. It's so fucking good. The whole film is.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
What makes it better? I'm listening to it right now and it's not really grabbing me. It fits the tone of the movie(from what I've seen anyway) but it's not blowing me away.

Judging a film score when you haven't seen the film is kinda ridiculous.

Personally I found the Interstellar score akin to being sledgehammered in the face when I watched it in the cinema.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Why did Inception lose to The Social Network?

"Time" is one of the most influential tracks of the 2010s.

Oct 29, 2017
The Oscar's are garbage. Interstellar soundtrack is one of the best ever, I listen to it every time I need to get shit done. The film itself is mediocre though.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
interstellar wasn't a great film, but it's one of zimmer's best recent scores for sure. really, really good stuff. the first sherlock holmes movie (the RDJ one) is some great stuff too. I'm not a massive fan of zimmer but when he really goes for it he can still knock it out of the park. (to be fair, i also think that Grand Budapest Hotel's soundtrack is wonderful)

sadly--and i dunno if this has any bearing on its life on the award circuit, probably not--the interstellar soundtrack release was completely botched. brutally trimmed down to fit CD length, mastered nothing like the music that actually appeared in the film, and missing some of the most memorable cues. in fact, the organ motif that everyone remembers from the docking sequence was not even included originally; after a bunch of fan outcry, it was finally added as a bonus track for anyone who bought it digitally, along with a couple of other tracks for the (sadly still quite lacking) vinyl release.

funnily enough, the best version of the score was only available on the studio's "for your consideration" website. there were just a bunch of MP3s sitting there you could download individually that included far more of the actual score than the retail releases. not sure if that's still out there, but if you're interested you should poke around and see if it's available still.

kind of funny and frustrating how such an influential (there are movie scores that are STILL ripping interstellar off wholesale--which is funny considering a lot of interstellar is borrowing from philip glass but never mind all that) score is actually really difficult to listen to properly.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Dunkirk's soundtrack was another "I can't believe that lost."

Seriously the dude's losing track record is getting ridiculous:
1996: The Preacher's Wife (Nominated – Best Original Musical or Comedy Score) lost to Emma (Portman)
1997: As Good as It Gets (Nominated – Best Original Musical or Comedy Score) lost to Full Monty (Dudley)
1998: The Prince of Egypt (Nominated – Best Original Musical or Comedy Score) lost to Shakespeare in Love (Warbeck)
1998: The Thin Red Line (Nominated – Best Original Dramatic Score) lost to Life is Beautiful (Piovani)
2000: Gladiator (Nominated – Best Original Score) lost to Crouching Tiger (Tan Dun)
2009: Sherlock Holmes (Nominated – Best Original Score) lost to UP (Giacchino)
2010: Inception (Nominated – Best Original Score) lost to Social Network (Reznor/Ross)
2014: Interstellar (Nominated – Best Original Score) lost to Budapest Hotel (Desplat)
2017: Dunkirk (Nominated – Best Original Score) lost to Shape of Water (Desplat AGAIN)

Okay looking back, the man is downright unlucky as hell. At least he has Lion King on his belt.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Because Reznor & Ross made a incredible soundtrack? I might be biased as a NIN fan, but that soundtrack was used everywhere afterwards and it felt really left of field at the time.
Yes you are biased. :P

Also Time has like 100m views on YouTube, 200m on Spotify, while songs from The Social Network have ~5/10mil. :P

He wasn't even nominated for Mid90s :(

Last edited:

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because he ripped off Arvo Pärt?

Still love the Interstellar soundtrack though.