• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I´m more surprised the PS5 Pro hasn't leaked yet..

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I think Microsoft have always planned to reveal the Series S when they announce the price. Which is more being held up by Sony not announcing the price. Series is a value proposition so without the price it's a pointless announcement.
I agree with this. The delay for announcing the Series S is more to do with wanting Sony to reveal the price of the PS5 first rather than the announcement of the DE.

They can hardly go "Here's the Series S: a value for money, affordable next-gen box" "What's the value?" "Wait and see".

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because devs were not aware of the Digital Edition? It's easy to hide things when you are the only one aware of them.

PS5D is just a PS5 without a hard drive, comparing it to another console like Lockhart with its owns specs makes no sense.
Ultimately, this. Disc drive tho, lol.

Its still a surprise because its for cost reasons. But its just a PS5 with no disc drive.

Minor? It exists to provide Sony leverage with pricing.

Exactly.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ehhh I'd be very surprised if Microsoft didn't account for a digital only sku since you know they just did one themselves with the One S All Digital and are rumored to do one with the Series S. They pay people big bucks to plan these things, they would have thought of and planned for it years ago.

Microsoft got blindsided by Sony undercutting them by $100 in 2013 and never recovered from this.

There's a difference between assuming your competition might eventually release a digital unit, and knowing your competition will have one ready to go on shelves before you will.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Because no one really needed to know. Devs dont need to know that there's a SKU without the BR drive, they're building games to run on the SSD anyway, so there's no one to leak

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I didn't think about this before, but could it be that MS planned a Series S that included a disc drive and are now scared that the prices of Series S and the PS5 DE will be a little too close for the Series S to be worth it? Could they remove the disc drive last minute? Then again, maybe it was always planned to be released without disc drive.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Either Series S has a disc drive or it originally had a disc drive. Microsoft saw PS5 DE and maybe had to go back to drawing board on it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm thinking as well. Either Series S has a disc drive or it originally had a disc drive. Microsoft saw PS5 DE and maybe had to go back to drawing board on it.

Don't think they can go back to the drawing board unless there is a delay (or they weren't planning to release the S this year).

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
People keep floating this Sony surprised MSFT narrative which I don't really believe. It is very obvious that MSFT was planning two consoles from the start. Once Sony heard about XSS they had to do something, because otherwise you'd be looking at at least a $200 cheaper next gen Xbox console. This is where the PS5 DE likely came into play.

The reason for the price standoff is likely that MSFT wants a $150 diff and Sony wants $100 diff (between the DE and the XSS) and nobody wants to announce a price and then have to lower it later. That being said, I'd give MSFT the upper hand there because the BOM diff between the two is probably closer to $150 than $100 based on what we know.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure but the funny thing was before it was announced, when I posted about why wouldn't Sony have a cheaper console in the pipeline to counter the XS, it was shot down because nothing had leaked or was even hinted at it. And here we are.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Microsoft got blindsided by Sony undercutting them by $100 in 2013 and never recovered from this.

There's a difference between assuming your competition might eventually release a digital unit, and knowing your competition will have one ready to go on shelves before you will.
Microsoft blindsided themselves by going all in with Kinect. This time they look to be playing the waiting game on price and want Sony to finally go first but they don't want to either for some reason.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably one of the most surprising reveal this year so far and probably for the coming gen. In an era where insiders seem to know everything months or even years before they're announced, like the Lockhart, this was extremely impressive to keep it a secret for that long.

And I'm also beginning to think it wasn't just us that was stunned by the reveal; Microsoft weren't expecting that either and were caught completely by surprise which in my opinion explains why the Series S reveal has been delayed for so long.
lol wut

They removed the drive - what a suprise

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Microsoft blindsided themselves by going all in with Kinect. This time they look to be playing the waiting game on price and want Sony to finally go first but they don't want to either for some reason.

Microsoft wouldn't have gone all in on kinect if they knew it would have put them 100 more expensive than Sony with a weaker machine.

Doesn't take an MBA to figure that one out. They got kneecapped there and Kinect got stripped out to bring the consoles to price parity in less than a year.

They are playing the waiting game on price here because they clearly did not expect the PS5DE at launch either. The existence of that thing screws the value proposition of the XSS.

Lockhart hasn't even been announced yet. It's still in the leaks and rumor stage. PS5DE has been announced, displayed, and confirmed for holiday launch for months now.

MS got outmaneuvered here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Microsoft wouldn't have gone all in on kinect if they knew it would have put them 100 more expensive than Sony with a weaker machine.

Doesn't take an MBA to figure that one out. They got kneecapped there and Kinect got stripped out to bring the consoles to price parity in less than a year.

They are playing the waiting game on price here because they clearly did not expect the PS5DE at launch either. The existence of that thing screws the value proposition of the XSS.

Lockhart hasn't even been announced yet. It's still in the leaks and rumor stage. PS5DE has been announced, displayed, and confirmed for holiday launch for months now.

MS got outmaneuvered here.
Microsoft came out with an all digital system already, I'm sure Microsoft was aware of the possibility. The problem throughout the current gen is Microsoft has never been price competitive. The XB1X was $100 more than the Pro and their all digital Xbox One was too high in price too. So it will be interesting if they can get the price right this time but they certainly don't want to hand it over to Sony so easily this time. Now here we are getting into late August with no confirmed price, no confirmed date, no confirmed list of launch games and no confirmation of Lockhart.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Everything Sony does must be a 4d chess big brain move that stuns the world to this place doesn't it

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Microsoft came out with an all digital system already, I'm sure Microsoft was aware of the possibility.

Not at launch they weren't. Even devs had no idea, and there were no leaks. MS wasn't aware of it. No one was.

All things point to the PS5 DE being on shelves before XSS is, and at a lower price point than the disc based PS5 that MS can't predict.

This is why we're playing the waiting game. MS is going to have to take a big hit on the XSS for that machine to make any sense as a competitor to the PS5 DE, and the PS5 DE is likely to release first.

They're waiting to see what Sony does. Sony on the other hand isn't in any rush to do anything because they sold 155k PS4s last month and MS sold 17k XBOs.

Sony has an unprecedented 10 million units shipping for launch window because they know they can sell them all no matter what MS does. Xbox doesn't exist where most units will be sold.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Not at launch they weren't. Even devs had no idea, and there were no leaks. MS wasn't aware of it. No one was.

All things point to the PS5 DE being on shelves before XSS is, and at a lower price point than the disc based PS5 that MS can't predict.
The disk saves them what, maybe $17? The Xbox One SAD edition certinaly doesn't paint a picture of being able to undercut drastically. You would not be doing your job properly if you never thought Sony would also come out with a digital only version. It doesn't take a bright person to see how digital consumption has exploded, you seem to be giving Sony too much of a benefit here and to top it all off Sony has not even shown the price of either to make any claims it's going to be a brilliant move or not.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
They're managing to keep launch date and price secret too. Saw the PS5 logo in the background of a football interview the other day, marketing a product which we don't know when it is available.
They're not secret. They don't exist. Pricing can remain flexible until very late in the game. Heck, adjustments can even be made immediately post-launch (X1, 3DS, etc).

They are probably gaming different price points now between 399 and 499 for their 2 editions and trying to figure out how to respond to a $349 or lower Series S.

My guess, and bear in mind I predicted the PS5 would be just above 10Tflops way back when it was rumored to be 9.2 TF, which means i'm clearly in sync with the SCE leadership please hire me sony, Is that they will release the DE for $399 and the disc edition for $499.

Yes they will take a substantial loss on the DE but it will be offset multiple times over by the huge digital margins and non-resell-ability of games, so it's a no-brainer in my opinion. Some digital-friendly customers will perceive it as Sony being nice and sticking to the "$399" dream price. Others will be glad Sony pushed the power envelope a bit higher and won't mind paying $499 for the large future savings in game purchases that comes with an open marketplace.

I'd say anybody who buys 6 games or less over the console's lifetime should just stick to digital, honestly. Average attach rate for PS4 is 9.5 games so most people would save more money over time with the disc version at the cost of a small delay to install the game from disc. Instead of playing at zero-second post launch, you'll play at zero-hour, within 1 hour of launch.

The big issue is going to be taking your game to your friend's house only to find out he doesn't have a disc reader for it. This could be mitigated with a $100 uhd addon like the HD-DVD one for the 360 that you could carry in your backpack. Even better if any portable UHD drive is accepted, though I very much doubt that'll be the case for security reasons.

Last edited:

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird to talk about Sony outmaneuvering Microsoft or catching them by surprise when we don't have the prices yet. Sony will need to cut their price significantly more than Microsoft would to get the PS5 DE close to the Series S price.

Likewise I'm sure Microsoft considered a discless XSX and instead decided the XSS would be the better option for them.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The disk saves them what, maybe $17? The Xbox One SAD edition certinaly doesn't paint a picture of being able to undercut drastically. You would not be doing your job properly if you never thought Sony would also come out with a digital only version. It doesn't take a bright person to see how digital consumption has exploded, you seem to be giving Sony too much of a benefit here and to top it all off Sony has not even shown the price of either to make any claims it's going to be a brilliant move or not.

The gaming industry is littered with the carcasses of executives that "did not do their jobs properly." Competency is rare. If everyone did their jobs Sega would have never botched the launch of the Saturn. Nintendo would never have let the WiiU see the light of day. The Vita would never have made it past the drawing board and Kinect never would have been mandatory for the XBO.

People screw up, even highly paid ones and screwing up is the standard, not the exception. Where is Halo Infinite? Why isn't it launch ready? Oh right. Because someone screwed up.

The PS5 in general has a lower build cost than the XsX does. It's cheaper across the board, so a PS5 DE will be closer in price to an XSS than an XsX.

Both units regardless of disc drive and GPU are still expensive. The XSS is a more capable machine than the One X, and removing a drive doesn't save much. It's all about how much of a profitability hit each company is wiling to take to move units. These two are loss leaders.

Sony still has the Ps4 bringing in a LOT of revenue, has no competition for their product in 70% of the market, and is the market leader by a wide margin. Division to division they are in the better position to take that hit.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the fact we don't have price from MS and Sony speaks volumes about this situation. DD version was a complete surprise to everyone it's the wild card system more so than SS.

Sony can afford to lose 100 or 150 just to lock people into their own eco system which is exactly why the SS exists. The price on one will make the other redundant, except in this case DD is not under powered, it's the same system.

The one who goes first with price is going to be at a major disadvantage.

This is something people keep ignoring when they talk about the prices for all the systems and people thinking the XSS is going to be the cheapest system. Looking at the financial reports, and seeing how much money they make from digital now, they can easily take a hit on the DE and make it back in the games and services side. It would only cost then two full price games

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I think the DE at launch is a response to XSS, Sony must of known about it for a while. Why would you go to the trouble of making two skus if you weren't planning on being aggressive with pricing?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The PS5 in general has a lower build cost than the XsX does. It's cheaper across the board, so a PS5 DE will be closer in price to an XSS than an XsX.

Both units regardless of disc drive and GPU are still expensive. The XSS is a more capable machine than the One X, and removing a drive doesn't save much. It's all about how much of a profitability hit each company is wiling to take to move units. These two are loss leaders.

Sony still has the Ps4 bringing in a LOT of revenue, has no competition for their product in 70% of the market, and is the market leader by a wide margin. Division to division they are in the better position to take that hit.

Yet you conclude this move of a PS5 Digital got Microsoft rattled, caught off-gaurd, even though it saves them very little and Micrsoft was unable to price the Xbox One Digital aggressively?

The PS2 was also in this position prior to the PS3 to take a big hit, look at what happened. It's obvious Sony is not that comfortable taking another hit, otherwise they would have announced price already.

Jan 10, 2018
Honestly the fact we don't have price from MS and Sony speaks volumes about this situation. DD version was a complete surprise to everyone it's the wild card system more so than SS.

Sony can afford to lose 100 or 150 just to lock people into their own eco system which is exactly why the SS exists. The price on one will make the other redundant, except in this case DD is not under powered, it's the same system.

The one who goes first with price is going to be at a major disadvantage.

The price was last time revealed at E3, which Sony bailed out on and than was dropped alltogether anyway due to Corona.

The release date was announced at Gamescom, which will be now be an online event and won't be attended by Sony.

We live in special times.

OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet you conclude this move of a PS5 Digital got Microsoft rattled, caught off-gaurd, even though it saves them very little and Micrsoft was unable to price the Xbox One Digital aggressively?

The PS2 was also in this position prior to the PS3 to take a big hit, look at what happened. It's obvious Sony is not that comfortable taking another hit, otherwise they would have announced price already.
The difference is that they didn't have online revenue to offset the costs. Also the PS3 costs were insanely massive compared to the PS5 costs so its clearly not comparable at all.