• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Being an occasional Sonic fan is a wild fucking ride.
We get good games here and there and the trainwrecks are just as fascinating in their own ways.
I mean, if Sonic had ever been handled properly we would never have gotten glorious oddities like the Sonic R soundtrack.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Sonic still holds up as a marketing icon. No matter how many missteps happen, the franchise lives strong.

Imagine what a titan, a juggernaut of the industry Sonic could have been if the franchise had actually been handled well. Sonic has endured and is still a pop cultural icon even after facing catastrophe after catastrophe for 20 years, any single one of which would have killed any other franchise.

What would it have been like if Sonic had a talented dev team behind it and brand management as good as The Pokémon Company?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I never get the "Sonic is a product of his time" arguments. Everything is mostly a product of their time. Thats the least of this franchises worries currently. The issues currently plaguing the franchise have nothing to do with that. Its the complete lack of any form of quality.

Sonic looking fkin hideous in the movie has nothing to do with Sonic being made in the 90s. It just looks hideous period. Sonic 06 being a buggy mess has nothing to do with that argument either. Sonic Forces couldn't even be as good as Sonic Generations which was released in 2012. Nobody is asking every 3D Sonic game that comes out to be a master piece , but SEGA constantly fails at giving Sonic the bare minimum needed to be a game. It just seems like they don't really care and are willing to throw the IP wherever as long as they get their money.

If Sonics Design was "Never good at all" , why is there such an uproar about the new movie design ? People should be praising it right ?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine what a titan, a juggernaut of the industry Sonic could have been if the franchise had actually been handled well. Sonic has endured and is still a pop cultural icon even after facing catastrophe after catastrophe for 20 years, any single one of which would have killed any other franchise.

What would it have been like if Sonic had a talented dev team behind it and brand management as good as The Pokémon Company?

Absolutely. Imagine if the reputation of Sonic was still good and the only reason why people approached his games wasn't out of the sheer concept of morbid curiosity?

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Mmmmm, my understanding of the book was that it is heavily fictionalized to the point that anything more than broad generalizations are true (i.e., sure, Japan had different ideas for the theming of the series than the US -- but Tails was never called 'Miles Monotail' and his backstory probably did not make Japanese executives weep)
Right so let's talk about that: the guy did a FUCK ton of interviews to do this. Sure it is told more as a story than an a full on exact word by word biographical account of what 100% happened, however unfortunately it's also impossible to do something like that as nobody's gonna remember the exact words they used to describe something in a board meeting that often times would last for hours on end that happened like 20 years ago. All you really have to go off of when you're doing something like this are gonna amount to whoever you're interviewing being like "well I said no and my boss didn't like that whatsoever..."

My beef with this is that you can criticize that but you'd also have to criticize just about every biography ever written, which unfortunately 99% of what I've heard people in the gaming sphere complain about this book amounts to "this isn't the story I'm used to I don't believe this" which there's some pretty damning things in here that, if fake, I really can't imagine why anyone involved wouldn't at the very least attempt to disprove.

Even forgetting this, fact of the matter is there's been enough first hand accounts that have gone public of Sega's management that there's definitely more than enough out there to give this some credit. I apologize about being a wee bit wigged out about this but omfg I am tired of hearing people bash this guy for doing this but then praising Walter Isaacson for doing the exact same effing thing in his biographies (which I also love)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was never particularly great. People like to talk about the speedy platforming mechanics, but the main appeal of Sonic was to be an edgier alternative to Mario for the NES kids that were now in their pre-teen/early teen years. You're gonna have trouble building a strong IP with that as a base.
Sonic 2 was an incredible game.

Sonic 1 was good, Sonic 3 was good, S&K was good.

It was a good and one time great franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that at some level there's terrible mismanagement of the series. For their flagship franchise to constantly be getting mediocre games is troubling. I feel that Sonic Team isn't the right fit for the series anymore. We know that there are a lot of devs using Sonic Team to move up to better positions. Game credits often show new or different senior staff for each entry. For a series that has so many intricacies, giving the games to such a fluctuating studio that keeps missing the mark just doesn't make sense. There's a lot of talent at ST, but it keeps moving away, or the directors can't quite get everyone on the same page.

I like the weird experimental nature of the series frankly. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if it weren't. Even my reaction to Forces and Mania, probably the two most pure retreads was "yeah, they're OK" (even Generations was at least getting to the point where it was tidying up a lot of the sloppier bits of Unleashed despite being very obviously derivative). Mania didn't get good until Ray the Squirrel was in it.

There's being experimental, then there's literally throwing everything they can think of at the wall and seeing what sticks. Every recent game aside from Mania feels so disjointed and hobbled together, and not because they're doing something interesting, but they're doing too much of everything else.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
The biggest problem that I have with the movie is that it looks dull. I look at it and I see the trailer for the Smurfs or Secret Life of Pets, soulless movies driven by star power that just make your groan for 40 minutes before you fall asleep.

I don't know how they'd do it, but imagine if the movie was as crazy as the Mario movie, a objectively bad movie, but one that is NEVER boring.

I agree that this one looks dull, it's just the last bit of the trailer that has me intrigued. It seems like they're positioning Sonic as either an alien or inter-dimensional being with the "I guess I'm saving your planet" line. Plus the weird, giant mushroom world they're in when they show the fully realized Eggman makes me wonder if they're playing some kind of long-game wherein in the next film it will primarily take place on "Mobius" or wherever as Eggman attempts a coup.

I hate the dated fish-out-of-water plot that I'm detecting so far, but it if my inkling is even slightly accurate and this movie serves more as a Robotnik origin story as much as a Sonic one this might be interesting. But... really bold of them to assume they'll get a sequel if that's true.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's a myriad of issues. At least in the 3D era, they had one idea (SA1/2 speed levels) and abandoned it before it hit its stride. They eventually found a good idea in the boost formula...but it also required a significant investment to make large, satisfying levels that lead to short game lengths and/or filler content to pad the running time. Amidst this stuff was misguided attempts that failed either mechanically or in terms of level design (Heroes/Shadow/06/storybook games). Lost World is yet another idea that had potential, but wasn't given the follow up attention to become fleshed out.

So it's a combination of doing dumb stuff, not investing in potentially good stuff, and doing good stuff that happens to have major drawbacks. Sega has never found something sustainable and worked to polish it to a high level of quality.

For 2D games, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. I'd wager that Mania's return on investment was probably pretty high when considering the small team size and reused assets, and I have to wonder why a sequel wasn't greenlit immediately. It's stupid as all hell that there hasn't been a sequel yet, and the team has seemed to head fk greener pastures at this point.

Frustrating.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
They keep reinventing the wheel and there's no one at Sega or Sonic Team with a strong enough voice that presents a firm guiding hand like Miyamoto does for Mario and Zelda. Iizuka is a poor steward of the franchise and should've been told to leave years ago.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic and by extension everything in his game got "flanderized" and thus completely mishandled as time went on.
At beginning Sonic had an attituide which appeared by Sonic doing cool little gestures or showing irriation in idle poses, innocent stuff. But then that trait was pushed and pushed into we got into XTREMEEE territory of Sonic being this one liner "badass" jokester and being "way past cool".
Mixed with laughable storylines and dubious inconsistent gameplay, it was recipe for mockery.

The insane vocal part of fanbase also did not help.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's a myriad of issues. At least in the 3D era, they had one idea (SA1/2 speed levels) and abandoned it before it hit its stride. They eventually found a good idea in the boost formula...but it also required a significant investment to make large, satisfying levels that lead to short game lengths and/or filler content to pad the running time. Amidst this stuff was misguided attempts that failed either mechanically or in terms of level design (Heroes/Shadow/06/storybook games). Lost World is yet another idea that had potential, but wasn't given the follow up attention to become fleshed out.

So it's a combination of doing dumb stuff, not investing in potentially good stuff, and doing good stuff that happens to have major drawbacks. Sega has never found something sustainable and worked to polish it to a high level of quality.

For 2D games, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. I'd wager that Mania's return on investment was probably pretty high when considering the small team size and reused assets, and I have to wonder why a sequel wasn't greenlit immediately. It's stupid as all hell that there hasn't been a sequel yet, and the team has seemed to head fk greener pastures at this point.

Frustrating.

Like, the upcoming Sonic Team Racing looks good. It really does.

How was Sega's first response not just "All Star Racing Transformed 2?"

How do you go from arguably the best kart racer of all time, if not top 3, to "let's reinvent this entire thing from scratch again and take a huge risk on it?"

It makes no sense. As you said, Frustrating.

If they make a Mania 2 they have to make the bosses suck way less.

To be fair, they patched most of them to do that.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Sonic 2 was an incredible game.

Sonic 1 was good, Sonic 3 was good, S&K was good.

It was a good and one time great franchise.
I usually look at Sonic 3 and S&K as one game, and I consider the combined package to be great. That's just how I experienced them as a kid, they are a single game to me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the dirty little secret to Sonic that I don't even think Sega realize - Sonic at a design level was never about being fast, it was about feeling fast. You don't have to design a game as fast as Unleashed to get the satisfaction of speed, you have to build design solutions to encourage propelling at max capacity rather than simply allowing you to do so at the flip of a button.

Examples of games that aren't necessarily as fast as Sonic, but design-wise, allow you to feel similar highs:
Doom (both the two classics and the reboot), Hotline Miami, Super Meat Boy, Rayman Origins, Devil May Cry, every Platinum action game

All of these are games that in some way use speed as an asset and tool at a design level, where you're essentially playing it "better" the faster you are. Sonic is simply the game that's perhaps embedding most of it in a basic physical interpretation; you need to build up speed to cross that loop. You need speed to run over water. You need speed to elevate those tops in Marble Garden Zone. You need speed to travel through time in Sonic CD. The games continually got better at designing gimmicks that were made to work in tandem with your speed in each and every subsequent title back in the day, with 3&K being the pinnacle. The 2D classics may not be as quantifiable in terms of their tempo as the modern games try to be, but it doesn't really matter when they utilize speed as a conscious design choice, rather than recent titles only seeing it as a means to an end. The latter makes it easy to get desensitized, but once you start integrating design elements that force you to take advantage of speed, that's when the games start to shine - and that's where the "speed = reward" logic stems from.

When Nintendo released Mario Odyssey back in 2017 and it featured actual rolling physics that had more momentum than any 3D Sonic game in the last decade and a half, that was pretty much all the proof needed that Sega only look for the easiest solutions. It's not that Sonic doesn't work in 3D, it's that he hasn't worked in 3D.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sega is just a bad company that has great designers and music composers. Been like this since the 90s too. It's a hard pill to swallow, believe me.

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'll get some shit for saying it, but Sega didn't mess up anything, Sonic was always bad. He survived on the charm of being a Mario competitor for the other major opposing platform. I say that as someone who grew up with Sonic and owned all the games. Had the sega cd, thought the knuckles expansion slot for sonic 2 was the greatest thing ever. There are couple of decent games, but that's all they are. None of them ever came close to platformer greatness even back then and they sure as shit aren't note worthy today. It was always a gimmick mascot game that rode the coat tails of Mario's greatness by being his most noteworthy opposing force, even if he probably didn't deserve even that and that's the truth in my eyes.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
) and there is also that racing game coming out in May but they took away all the other sega characters which is Strange

So, Sonic is trash because it got rid of Sega characters in a Sonic themed game? I don't know if that point add something to your argument.

And now that Sonic movie trailer came out and it just has box office bomb written all over it and it looks so poor compared to Detective Pikachu. What a shame

I can see Sonic not reaching Pokémon numbers (who would?) But It's uncertain how this movie will perform.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sega doesn't give a fuck

They could hand Sonic over to a better dev team instead of the incompetent mess that is Sonic Team. It worked for Mania, and yet Sonic Team lives on. They could have tried to reinforce some measure of quality control over the Sonic movie. It worked for Detective Pikachu, but they didn't bother.

It's maddening how they just don't care. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's also easy to forget that Sonic fans are whacked out (myself included) and that the "bad" games often sell pretty well.

It's not like Sega is losing money on Sonic. To them I'm sure it's doing pretty well.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Sega is not Sega anymore and you get the sense the Sonic IP is handled by whomever at Sega is most qualified due to staff departures not because of a succession plan.

Like Mario is no longer Miyamotos baby but Koizumi was vetted and well qualified

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'd make the case that they didn't mess him up as bad as everyone says they did

... Till Sonic '06. From what I've read the development of that game suffered from so much fracturing of the talent behind it it just ended up changing Sonic Team forever. Yuji Naka left due to Sega making him try to manage that whole mess apparently. From that point on, even if I did enjoy Colors, I don't have an issue with everyone calling Sonic trash because they just let it get to that level. Despite literally pulling 06' off the shelves to try to save Sonic's image they for some reason keep Silver hanging around to remind everyone of it lmao. They can't be consistent even on the objectively bad stuff.

Sonic CD doesn't get a stage in Generations but '06 does? Gotta be kidding me.

Sega hand the keys over to Christian Whitehead pls.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sonic Team translated Sonic into 3D the best way it could in Adventure and Adventure 2. These titles initially received positive reviews even though they are very much products of their time.

When Adventure was ported over to other sixth gen systems - a lot of reviews revised their assessment of 3D Sonic. I personally think a lot of this reaction was because reviews back in the early '00s were ahistorical and unwilling to tolerate older graphics. For comparison, Donkey Kong Country received a flurry of bad reviews when it was ported to the GBA. Adventure is a perfectly fine late-90s 3D platformer and can be truly enjoyed once you're comfortable with the game's control quirks.

The other big thing that destroyed Sonic's reputation was the mishandling of Sonic '06. I contend that this title is digital fraud and should never been released. It has marred every Sonic title since. Unleashed, Colours and Generations - the titles that Sonic fans generally accept as "the good ones" have all been affected by the spectre of Sonic '06 with many reviewers making references to that disaster when reviewing these games.

The portable Sonic games have mostly avoided scrutiny but somewhere in the early 2010s - DIMPs, the team building these titles, lost the plot. These games became increasingly frustrating and difficult to control. SEGA, in its wonky wisdom, decided to bring in DIMPs to relaunch 2D Sonic for consoles with the disastrous Sonic 4. The fans knew this game would be shit but reaction was mostly mocked because of petty squabbles over the colour of Sonic's eyes. It's at this time I start seeing derision move away from the series, which is accepted as bad, and focus more on the fans.

A lot of people level the blame at Sonic Team but many people at Sonic Team during this time eventually moved on and have since worked on phenomenal titles like Super Mario Odyssey and Smash Bros Ultimate. SEGA REALLY got the shaft when it opened its arms to Western devs on 2 occasions: Bioware and Big Red Button. These companies gave us Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Boom respectively. The West really love to fuck this hedgehog up with this Paramount movie being the latest example.

So, if I was the summarise my thoughts here it would be that the following factors hurt Sonic:

a. Sonic falling out of favour with people's sensibilities.
b. completely out-of-touch mismanagement of the brand by SEGA.
c. prostituting Sonic out to dev teams who are burned out or out-of-their-depth.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love Nintendo to make a sonic game. Nintendo is the master of making the controls feel right. I loved Sonic better than the Mario games. When Mario jumped to 3D, it was one of the greatest games ever created. I spent so much of time just running around. Sonic never felt right in 3D. If Nintendo made it, it would be as revolutionary as Mario 64. Even Team ASOBI would be great. They nailed the controls and mechanics for Astrobot and it was just fun to move around.
Only if Nintendo made them kneel and kiss Miyamoto's ring on Livestream.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I never really enjoyed Sonic back in the megadrive era, it was okay, and really beautiful because of those colors and parallax scrolling,platforming while okay slowly lost priority and speed was the focus, even more when the game became 3D.
It benefited from being a viable mascot for Sega, but that's all, maybe if it had focused more on platforming, keeping speed as something relevant every now and then, but not uncontrolled velocity nonsense all the time it wouldn't have gone downhill.
Character needs a full reboot or just let it die.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly there is simply no one at Sega in any position of power who gives a crap. This series literally cannot go more than a few years without stumbling into some disastrous event that would kill any other franchise.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 would've been more fondly regarded if they didn't hit the reset button and also didn't screw up 06.

We forgive a myriad of Mario 64's actual flaws and shortcomings because we can see that future Nintendo games used it as a frame of reference and improved upon it. It's value as a historical piece is strengthened knowing that they learned all the right lessons from it, and you can get the sense of that after experiencing the game again.

Adventure is the opposite, while it's nowhere near as good as Mario 64 obviously, you don't really have that same blueprint permeating through the future entries. Because of that it's easy to dislike all the things it did wrong even more, as it reminds people even more about "where it all went wrong".

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Well for starters they should give the dude who made Sonic Mania his own team and the same budget a regular sonic game would get and let him go fuckin ham. Pride be damned, dude outclassed them at their own game, give him the reigns.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I usually look at Sonic 3 and S&K as one game, and I consider the combined package to be great. That's just how I experienced them as a kid, they are a single game to me.

Did you first experience game with the lock-on cartridges or do you mean emulation? I'm very similar - I actually prefer Sonic 3 over 3&K because that's how I experienced it as a kid. I think the game becomes bloated with the Knuckles stages but all my favourite stages are in 3 anyway.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think they have been, and kinda are, on the right track. I get the impression that the people in charge of the gaming decisions have had limited to no input on the movie

The comics are solid, Mania is fantastic, Team Sonic Racing looks fun, the animated shorts are great, the classic games have been getting a lot of love via things like Sega Ages and the Classics collection... Forces is the only weak link in recent years, and it sounds like it was a too-many-cooks situation where they tried to please a bunch of people at once rather than sticking to a united vision.

Honestly, ignoring the movie, I have high hopes for the franchise moving forward. I just hope Sonic Team has learned some important lessons.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll get some shit for saying it, but Sega didn't mess up anything, Sonic was always bad. He survived on the charm of being a Mario competitor for the other major opposing platform. I say that as someone who grew up with Sonic and owned all the games. Had the sega cd, thought the knuckles expansion slot for sonic 2 was the greatest thing ever. There are couple of decent games, but that's all they are. None of them ever came close to platformer greatness even back then and they sure as shit aren't note worthy today. It was always a gimmick mascot game that rode the coat tails of Mario's greatness by being his most noteworthy opposing force, even if he probably didn't deserve even that and that's the truth in my eyes.
You're that one guy from that video right?

I refuse to believe there is more than one person alive spreading such lies!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Really, looking over the past, it feels more like "How did Sega not mess up Sonic sooner?"

The initial conception of Sonic was already kinda bad with Sonic being in a band and having a human girlfriend named Madona. Sega of America got rid of the band and the girlfriend and came up with their own official Sonic bible where Sonic lived in America and was a normal talking hedgehog that became blue after running too fast in an experiment with his friend Dr Kintobor who became Robotnik after accidentally absorbing the evil energy of the chaos emeralds and having his DNA combined with a rotten egg. Thankfully the Classic games ignored both of those canons and just didn't focus on story much at all.

One of the most important factors in why the early games turned out so well is Hirokazu Yasuhara, who was the lead game designer on Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. He was in charge of the level design, gameplay conceptualization, and general world art. His absence in Sonic CD is very noticeable.

Sonic 2 was kind of a miracle. Mark Cerny started a new studio in the US called Sega Technical Institute along with Hirokazu Yasuhara and Yuji Naka. Naka had quit Sega after Sonic 1, but Sega bribed him to come back by buying him a Ferrari. Cerny proposed making a sequel to Sonic 2 and initially Sega wouldn't approve the project until they saw the success of Sonic 1. STI had a mixed American and Japanese team. Yasuhara was reportedly easy to work with but Naka really hated the cultural/language barrier.

Following Sonic 3 they decided to make a 3rd game. The game was still made in America at STI, but Naka demanded that the staff be Japanese-only. Originally they wanted to make a 3D game, but thankfully due to time constraints they chose to make a 2D game.

Following Sonic 3, STI continued to try to make new Sonic games with help from Yasuhara, but development was troubled due to the Saturn being a mess and Yuji Naka refusing to let them use his 3D engine. They had multiple demos for Sonic X-Treme, but the lead designer of their best demo was late to the meeting with Sega of Japan's president. Sega's president was furious over the worse demo he saw and stormed back to Japan before he could see the better demo.

Yasuhara left Sega and went to work at Naughty Dog.

Naka was put in charge of Sonic Team and gave creative control to Takashi Iizuka after liking his Sonic RPG concept. And it was all downhill from there.

Basically it could be boiled down to Yuji Naka's ego and the incompetence of Sega's management.

Check out this interview with Naka and how he talks about Hirokazu Yasuhara:

Interviewer: What do you think of the way the Sonic games have evolved; was it a problem when one of your team members left to work with Sony?

Yuji Naka: Yeah, one of the guys from our team went to work on Jak and Daxter! As for the original titles, I was involved from the beginning, the creation of the game. The character was born in a kind of stream of creating, so I'm involved from the very beginning of the character. I gave the game direction, and I was the main programmer also. So I was involved with every aspect of the original Sonics. Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic.

I think that says a lot about what happened. The lead game designer was just 'some guy who was useless in Sega.' Level design is 'straightforward unimportant stuff!'

Last edited:

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Did you first experience game with the lock-on cartridges or do you mean emulation? I'm very similar - I actually prefer Sonic 3 over 3&K because that's how I experienced it as a kid. I think the game becomes bloated with the Knuckles stages but all my favourite stages are in 3 anyway.
I actually played it on the Mega Collection for the Gamecube. My mom had a Genesis when I was really young and I was playing Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 as soon as I could hold a controller, but we never had Sonic 3 or S&K. I didn't play the rest of the series until later on when I had a Gamecube.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They just suck. It's very strange to me how Sonic is faulted for company mismanagement. Poor voice acting, shoddy writing, buggy games, forced wii u exclusives, split development teams, random gameplay elements like fishing? These are company failings that Sonic shields Sega and Sonic Team from.

As for the movie, Paramount did the same exact shit with TMNT

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yuji Naka: Yeah, one of the guys from our team went to work on Jak and Daxter! As for the original titles, I was involved from the beginning, the creation of the game. The character was born in a kind of stream of creating, so I'm involved from the very beginning of the character. I gave the game direction, and I was the main programmer also. So I was involved with every aspect of the original Sonics. Some of the details, like making a map, quite straight-forward stuff, was done by the guy who's working on Jak and Daxter right now. He was involved until Sonic 3, and after that for eight years he didn't do anything in Sega, so he was quite useless in Sega. We really didn't need him. He was really doing nothing with Sonic.

What an egotistical prick! He sounds like David Cage.