• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was XO19?

• Great!

Votes: 563 38.2%
  • Good

Votes: 438 29.7%
  • Okay

Votes: 337 22.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 135 9.2%

• Total voters

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say good because we'll they announced a lot of cool stuff not a lot of it got me excited.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
They don't need you to own an Xbox. If you sign up for Game Pass to play games on xCloud or PC, they'll be more than happy with that.
Yes, that's true. But I don't game on a PC and my game pass would sit unused . Just don't have the time for all those games. I only play 3 or 4 a year and so far this gen MS exclusives haven't interested me.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
obsidian game looked horrible and Rare's is just CG.
game pass and xcloud doesn't interest me one bit.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I know Ninja Theory were working on Bleeding Edge prior to acquisition , but between that and Obsidian making a survival game makes me nervous for the types of projects Microsoft is green lighting, personally.
I don't understand this mentality, sorry. If you bought some studios and they say that they have some unannounced games currently in-development, it seems Microsoft has two main options. Either continue production and have some games out in a shorter time frame, or scrap everything and start from scratch. Considering GamePass is the perfect solution to small/medium budget gaming, and your console needs a run of exclusives super quick, option A seems to be the best.

It's not like Obsidian is changing wholesale to a survival-based studio - you'll undoubtedly get some new RPGs from them in the future. They're more than likely reserving their heavy hitters to coincide with the full Scarlett reveal.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
As an end of year event for Xbox Fans it delivered, it was what anyone who knows inside Xbox is. They cleaned up some of the issues and did some decent announcements not much more you can expect for end of a generation.

It's also pretty apparent from the responses that people are happy to see new IP as long as they are in the genre they want. MS can't win they do new IP and let teams make what they want and still get flak for it.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I think the show was overly long and a little too corooprate trying to be cool but in terms of announcements it was very strong.

Anyone who described this as poor is just being pathetic

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Nothing to sell me on Scarlett, but that's not what that was for. Their services and stuff look nice but switching ecosystems isn't appealing to me either.

This conference wasn't for me. And that's okay!

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Ninja Theory were working on Bleeding Edge prior to acquisition , but between that and Obsidian making a survival game makes me nervous for the types of projects Microsoft is green lighting, personally.

I can understand that perspective, but look at it this way: Microsoft promised a lot of the new studios that they would have independence to create the games they want to create. I think if Microsoft had immediately killed projects like this, that would have been a really bad sign and likely a morale hit to those teams. Nothing would be worse than joining Microsoft after they said "oh yeah, you can make what you want!" and then them turning around and going "well except those, we're canceling your existing projects."

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass just keeps on giving!! Final Fantasy and Yazukza series announcements are worth the service alone!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Can't say I was impressed. I don't know if it's my perception but every game announced seems to have gone for that cartoon look. There was nothing that made me go: "wow, this looks amazing!"

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Pretty meh for me. The only thing I'm excited about is XCloud and its potential.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
They did okay imo. Tons of gamepass announcements but mostly games i've already played, none of the new IPs really jumped out at me. They all seem all too eager to use that fortnite cartoon-like graphical style. Planet coaster coming to "consoles" is nice. Halo Reach in 4K is nice. Project xcloud was the high point for me strangely enough as they seem to really be setting high goals for it.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, as a consumer, there wasn't much there that I latched onto. It was more business as usual. I'm looking forward to next year when more of this stuff is out in the open and we can have substantive conversations about hardware and overall strategy. Until then
giphy.gif

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass + Xcloud is the most exciting next-gen announcement so far for me. Sure, it's still early, and barely anything about next-gen has been announced from the big three, but MS seems like they have the most clear vision so far for next-gen and are determined not repeat the Xbox One disaster.

Notsinpy

Jan 18, 2019
Grounded has been in development for over a year before the acquisition. It is a 13 person small team. It is greenlighted by ceo of obisidan. Ms allow them to finish the game. It is creative freedom. It is not like the whole obisidan turn into a survival game studio. The rpg team is working on more RPGs.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of solid small-to-mid range games with a lot of genre diversity. I think it might have been one of Xbox's best presentations in terms of game content through the Xbox One era, even without a Halo-sized game. Though, to be fair, Xbox should be at a point by now where it always has a Halo-sized game to show. Might be something they focus more on with Scarlett and onward.

Still a lot of work to do presentation-wise to get rid of that used car salesman tone, though. I want to see the work that these devs put so much time on talked about with sincerity and that's really not coming across in these Inside Xbox events.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It was awesome. Xbox is bringing the variety of game experiences with their first party studios and the insane value with Xbox Game Pass, best primary platform/ecosystem going forward with all of that and integrated xCloud for owned games and Game Pass in 2020 as announced today.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It was miles better than I expected it to be to be honest. A truckload of games, some of them being shown for the first time ever including a new Rare IP.

Amazing Game Pass announcements including games that haven't been on Xbox before.

Real solid PC chat. Flight Simulator continues to look amazing. AOEIV was shown. Halo finally coming.

Had a great time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
xCloud + Game Pass is going to allow me to continue to enjoy games even as my life fills up

10/10 hype mode for 2020

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't really hear too much out of it I was interested in besides the Halo PC release date. The new games largely didn't seem too interesting to me.

nerdv2

Apr 23, 2019
The presentation is kinda awkward at times but it's a fan meetup and the quantity of announcement is better than I expected.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Very solid.

• Crossfire X looks interesting - I'll give it a go.
  • Lots and lots of Game Pass titles. Wow. Best value in gaming? Seems like it.
  • West of the Dead looks very interesting.
  • Flight Sim & Age 4 look fantastic.
  • xCloud included with Game Pass? Still some questions but I'm excited to see where it goes.
  • Halo Reach soon. That's good news.
  • Last Stop looks GREAT. Will play it asap.
  • Streets of Rage 4 day one.
  • After this conference I really think Game Pass is the best value in gaming. Amazing.
Now the question is, do I get a gaming PC soon? Age of Empires 4 looks good. Hmm...

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'd say good. New first party reveals, Yakuza not just coming to Xbox but dropping day 1 on GP, okay presentation that didn't kill the pacing, good GP additions and new trailers for good looking games.

Nothing that really blew my mind. That should come at e3.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Very "meh"
TGA announcements and some Nintendo Directs are FAR more hype than this. Nothing mind blowing at all. Only big shocker was KH going to Xbox for the first time.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Reach PC date was the only big thing for me, but even that was already known with the store update this morning.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not really interested in the new games they showed, and I already played all the Yakuza/Final Fantasy/KH games on PlayStation so it didn't do much for me.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
AoE4 looks awesome and XCloud coming to PC+ GamePass Combo opens up some very interesting possibilities (like playing the entire Gears series + other last gen games on PC via Xcloud with just a sub, but no xbox hardware).

Lukewarm on all 3 new IPs (I'm not into multi-player and I like DontNod for Remember Me and Vampyr, not LiS, so sue me), and Kingdom Hearts not coming to PC is a bummer, but that's ultimately on Squeeenix, not Microsoft. Microsoft showed off a lot of games, and they have a steady line-up of releases before E3, so overall they did pretty great. Curbstomped Stadia, whether that was the intention or not.

Also, MCC release date (for Reach, at least) and VERY reasonable Steam pricing. Yeah, it's a strong show.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Getting to see Age of Empires and Flight Simulator makes it good for me. Thought the new IP's were meh but I trust Obsidian so I'll keep my eye out on that.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I would say it was excellent for Xbox fans.

I personally thought the announcements were really good but most of the exciting stuff had to do with older games I've already played years ago. So there wasn't much interesting stuff for me as someone outside of that ecosystem. Didn't really care for most of the XGS IPs they showed.

But as far as fans of Xbox and people who only stuck with the system this gen, it had to have been an extremely fun event and surprising announcements for them. It was an event for them after all and I think MS handily succeeded.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, everyone in the discord I frequented bought gamepass after x019 was over.

They did exceptionally well.

I did think it odd, them replaying their hand when it comes to pushing free to play korean games, but...hey, why not. Much like other Nexon titles, it'll live and die based on the product, not the service.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I voted it as "Good", there is still room for improvement on presentation and obviously they're pulling punches with their announcements because they're waiting for E3. Still pretty damned good though, lots of great announcements to look forward to, good games and now I also have zero reason to not play Yakuza. Didn't see that coming.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
They did an outstanding job. Some great new announcements, xCloud looks amazing as a value add to existing users (with XGP even!), and I bought Master Chief Collection on Steam the moment it went up (even though I have Xbox Game Pass on PC).

A strong Microsoft is very important to force Sony out of their complacency.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
If you wanted an E3 show it was pretty bad. If you wanted X0 it was stellar. You can really sense that the exclusive issue is a thing of the past. Showing some new IP before the eventual Scarlett blowout is pretty telling I think. MS has a lot of good stuff on the way. Gamepass and Xcloud are confidently shitting on Google too. Stadia just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
For me it was good, not great. My X1X is strictly for console exclusives so things like Flight Sim and AoE 4 are exciting. The new Rare game looks great, but I don't know what it is or what you do so it's a question mark for me. Most of the other actual new releases coming out didn't interest me much, except that Roller Coaster game.
Xcloud seems cool, I doubt I ever actually use it though as if I'm playing a game I am on my couch so not much use for streaming on other devices.
Lastly Gamepass continues to be a great value overall, but again as someone that only uses the X1X for console exclusives I already own every one of those games that they are adding so it doesn't really add much for me. As long as I can get a first party game once every month or two I will continue the service though as I think that is still well worth it.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Solid show. They are shaping well for next gen. Can't wait for all their games on pc.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get to watch it live but judging by the announcements it...seemed like a pretty good show? Some pretty cool stuff announced.