• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Similar to Facebook, the worst part of LinkedIn is the part that's front-and-center; the timeline. However, if you ignore that, you can find some far better ways to use the platform. LinkedIn can be legitimately great if you're utilizing its tools for networking, hiring and/or looking for work.

The unfortunate biproduct of the platform is that it attracts every single pseudo-philosophical bro-entrepreneur on the planet who has snake oil to sell you. Those kinds of dudes who's Instagram profiles are nothing but pics of them leaning against a Ferarri or monochrome Muhammed Ali quotes about never giving up or some shit. They all want to you sign up for their seminar or virtual class on "success" and "networking" and "selling yourself".

But yeah, it's also more prone to bullshit copypasta "success stories" than any other social media platform from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I joined LinkedIn a couple of months ago, starting to build my profile so I can maybe find work through it.

And... yeah, most of the posts are pretty bad. I've even seen some people who boast about their no. of connections which seems super cringey.

ijm72

Oct 27, 2017
I got my last 2 jobs through LinkedIn so it's definitely very useful to me. I agree that the feed is 99% cornball shit so I stopped reading it. I just use the job search and messaging functionality.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It was always shit but it was this social medium that I was on and could happily ignore. It wasn't until Microsoft took over that it got really aggressive with notifications. Important messages are waiting for your reaction. Just spam messages from LinkedIn itself, or worse, companies that paid LinkedIn to be allowed to spam you in your inbox. Find out now who has been visiting your profile! One anonymous viewer in the past 14 days, would you like to pay to see who it was? Fuck off LinkedIn.

Oct 31, 2017
Social networks functionally becoming necessary for both work and social leisure is a dystopian nightmare and travesty.

"It's just a good way to keep in touch with friends."

"It's just a good way to get jobs."

Fucking terrible, especially how they have come to force people's hands.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
LinkedIn is the ultimate platform for pretending you are what you are not. On Facebook and Instagram you would do it for likes, on LinkedIn you do it to get a better job ($$$). So people act extra stupid in there. I am glad I found a job last month and dont need to scroll through LinkedIn anymore.

One thing I noticed though is that right wing neoliberal politicians are always on LinkedIn posting their bulshit ideology where you will conquer as much as you deserve, and if you dont it is always your own fault for not trying harder. No idea if this is a Brazil only thing, probably not.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
TBF I assume you've dated everyone in your field by this point, you Romeo. How's your Portuguese coming along?
I've only dated a handful of people in my field! LinkedIn is showing me the Portuguese speakers I dated 5 years ago.

It totally fell off, btw. Duolingo can only do so much.

Thankfully there's no social media aspect to that site.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
LinkedIn is the essence of why the Internet has become shit. I browse it frequently for a laugh, to see how stupid people are. How grown ups behave online etc. It's fucking hilarious how people use LinkedIn.

The bad part is that it make me loath people.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone look at the feed of posts? it's the most pontless thing ever. I only get on the site to check messages occasionally and look at job postings if I'm currently looking.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The posts are dumb and I roll my eyes at most of them when I briefly jump on to check out an invite or update it. I've had one for the past 7 or 8 years, but have never posted anything. Just update it almost annually in the event it helps me find a job should I need to.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I have never seen any of this. I get an occasional job offer. That is absolutely all I get and see. LinkedIn as a social network sounds like a serious waste of time.

This. I mean, just use it for what it's for (job searching) and log off. I ignore all of that nonsense. I did get my last two jobs from there though so I'm sure as hell not going to leave it.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
It's also used for stalking and tracing. I keep some not too true information up and one day a guy called my phone acting like he was a UPS driver, he then read off some of the details of my Linkedin profile to try to find out where I actually worked. I later saw a person that worked for a bill collector had viewed my profile.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Man, sounds like someone is a little bitter that they didn't get a SPECIAL OFFER to try LINKED IN PREMIUM for FREE in their inbox InMail.

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Thank you for this thread, I should've made it myself years ago. I SO FUCKING HATE LINKEDIN and all the pretentiousness in it, it's disgusting to me

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Swear to fucking god everyone on my LinkedIn timeline these days looks like this and I'm not following them but my dumbass connections always like their posts so it clutters my TL

Bronathan Jeraldson
Chief Fun Officer @ iTechBrainz | Angel Investor | Flanneur | Drone Photographer | Mentor | Mentor | Motivator | Loving Life! | WFH Junkie | Dog Walker | Nature Liker | PHr CIKO-2 PMP LdR Certified | Naturopath | Author | Blogger | Ballroom Dancer | Helicopter Pilot | Linen Archivist | Supply Chain Sourcing | Youth Pastor | Conversion Therapy Practicioner | Gun Lobbyist | Sport Fisherman

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
every outspoken racist conservative on linkedin is always some white dude named bill who is the "CEO of Big Fish Shoes"

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
My feed is just worse Facebook. People forgetting that it's supposed to be business oriented and professional connections complaining about something. I have a handful of people I connected with for business deciding to spread their conspiracies about COVID being fake or claiming Trump is really President come March. Real easy and quick way to get deleted.

And then I have people who try to act like they need to be social media managers of their companies but on their personal page.

I only keep it for job opportunities. Unfortunately there's not much for me and I'm often messaged by fake profiles trying to scam me or recruiters who actually are legit but then ghost. So in retrospect, I'm not sure why I keep it anymore.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've done everything I can to avoid joining LinkedIn. I cannot stand social media feed sites like that. I'm so glad I haven't need to use it for work or anything thus far and dread the possibility that I'll need to use it at some point.

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
I put my profile on private in as many ways as I could but random people STILL add and message me. I loathe having to have an account.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
every.to

LinkedIn’s Alternate Universe

How the professional platform makes networking weird

tUUeEMH.jpg

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I have on my profile that I'm not interested in "opportunities" from staff placement/sub-contractong firms, the recruiters from these places never seem to bother reading profiles.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I just accept the fact that any and all social media platform have a tendency to go down the toilet the more you use it. Its often out of your hands as there other people involved. I remember my gf making similar complaints like the OP . . . . towards Pinterest ?! How does that work even.
What do you mean? Pinterest is full of total garbage, a ton of frilly inspirational quotes using a million different fonts, MLM schemes... I'd say >50% of it is ads.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think linkedin is more annoying than facebook, because people are even more false and say dumb inspirational stuff all the time

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So is it still good to have if you're looking for a new job?

I wanted to create a linkedin profile but now i'm not so sure after reading these posts ^^°

Edit: i posted this late. I see more posts saying it's still helpful for finding work. I'll just ignore the timeline stuff!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I just connect with people I work with or networked with. Other than that I just update my profile so it's detailed and fresh.

I don't even consider it social media, but maybe that's just how I use it?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Does it even qualify as social media when it's barely social

I ignore the feed completely and just check my notifications and messages. Spend like two minutes a week on it. Every other part of the site is just completely vapid

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
LinkedIn is basically the worst, although I'd make an argument that Microsoft has serendipitously avoided turning it into something much worse. Because there's room to grow into an eldritch abomination of evil. So much room.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten my last 3 jobs from recruiters on LinkedIn so I'm pretty happy with it.

Obviously it has its share of influencer / content problems but I generally find it useful without that stuff.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I even changed my "title" to "entrepreneur," just for fun. I bet no one will understand that it just a joke - except my friends.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm lucky enough to not need it for work. I only use it as a Facebook for current/former coworkers and don't pay attention to those people

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I had to make an account for a project in university but I never look at it now - 3 years later. Maybe next time I start looking for a job I'll dust it off but it kinda just sits there.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely hate what the site has come to be, but I still get the best job offers through it.

Just gotta wade through the bullshit.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Linkedin is still an awesome place to network, especially within the game industry. It definitely played a role in getting me my current job.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Haven't been on that shit in years, always seemed corny. Thankfully, im in an industry that doesn't really look at linkedin

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Also: Men acting like LinkedIn is tinder

Like the only private messages I've gotten is from men I don't know wishing to chat...

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
really hoping not having a linkedin doesn't hurt me. the last thing i need is to connect to former coworkers. especially considering i'm trans and in theory will come out at my next workplace and i've worked at pretty conservative places

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
LinkedIn is basically the ladder of success where the actual successful leaders prop it up but never use it. It's a good way to circulate talent in the lower rungs and make them feel important. They're never becoming CEO, high level executive, or any power, but you will get that power hour.