• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So, generally, relatives don't put Santa on their gifts. But the parents do. Even at the young age where I believed in Santa, I don't know how I didn't put that together and realize that these Santa gifts are probably from Mom and Dad or Mom and Dad are the only assholes who didn't get me gifts.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I always had a gift from Santa (usually the "big gift") and then a couple smaller ones from my parents.

Even at 30 my parents will still write "From Santa" on something. We all know it's cheesy, but whatever, it's fun.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Idk mine were split, like clothes from my parents and then a big gift from Santa

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
My parents didn't want some random white dude to get credit for getting me gifts so they always made sure to put that it was from them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So, generally, relatives don't put Santa on their gifts. But the parents do. Even at the young age where I believed in Santa, I don't know how I didn't put that together and realize that these Santa gifts are probably from Mom and Dad or Mom and Dad are the only assholes who didn't get me gifts.

We have our names for 'our' gifts...and santa's name for his gifts.

We tend to do something a bit more modest with Santa gifts, also Santa does the Stockings.

The BIG gifts come from us, so no, santa is not going to get credit for the PS5 lol. I know some parents don't have the means that others do, There is a thought to have santa gifts be a bit more modest. So when kids go and talk to other kids, its not overwhelimg.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mine were split. My eureka moment was when I noticed that Santa had the same shitty penmanship as my dad.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I also had gifts from both. The real question, were Santa's gifts wrapped or un-wrapped? Mine were unwrapped but my wife's were wrapped.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
OP should sneak his gifts under the tree labeled Santa and tell the parents they didn't get them anything.
^ difficult to do during stupid covid

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
My parents worked too hard to put santa over as the sole giver of the gifts. He was treated more like a broker in our house who would acquire the goods for my parents but if we were bad then he'd remove gifts from the list and not deliver them.

adg1034

Oct 25, 2017
We opened our main presents on Christmas Eve. Santa just brought the stuff that went in our stockings, which magically got filled while we were asleep.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
My parents used to mix it up. Generally though Santa got credit for the small gifts, but Mom and Dad weren't letting that fat fuck get the credit for the big expensive items.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I figured out at 5 years old Santa and my mother had the same handwriting. Was all down hill from there.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, my parents always had gifts from them and from Santa. Usually 2 or 3 fairly small ones were the ones from Santa.

There's been a push in recent years to please have parents not make the expensive ones be from Santa because it is kind of crappy to poorer kids. Like, oh, why did Santa give my friend a freaking iPad but I just got an action figure?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
With my little sister, my mother made sure every gift for her was marked as Santa.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, I was like 14 before I realized that my birthday was only seven months after my parents' anniversary...

dark_preacher

Nov 2, 2017
I never had a Santa gift growing up and when my old lady insisted doing it with our kids I've always felt it's dumb. Think this is the first year we're not doing it even though none of our kids have believed in Santa for a long time, HUZZAH!

Oct 25, 2017
Action figures and toys? From Santa.
Mix of clothes and fun stuff? Mom and dad
Something practical? Just mom.
Something weird that mom wanted no part of? Just dad.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I always had a gift from Santa (usually the "big gift") and then a couple smaller ones from my parents.

Even at 30 my parents will still write "From Santa" on something. We all know it's cheesy, but whatever, it's fun.
That's adorable :)

My folks did that when I was a kid, but when I was old enough to know the truth, they just got me a big "santa" gift and that was it.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha mine were usually split between parents and Santa. The fact that I never realized they had the same handwriting though....lol.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured out the Easter Bunny first, due to my mom's fuckup of trying to make "rabbit footprints" but made them look nothing like a rabbit's footprint. Then I put 2 and 2 together and asked if the Tooth Fairy and Santa were real, and she said no, but don't tell the others at your preschool.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I never understood this Santa thing... Why give credit for the present to a imaginary dude?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
we don't plan to do Santa with our daughter. We have a sister in law that is 8 and she is super spoiled and she even takes like gifts from relatives, CLEARLY MARKED from relatives and says stuff like "NO THIS IS FROM SANTA" etc. and wont say thank you to the relatives that bought her things. There is another lesson in here I am sure for how she was raised, but seeing that just scared the heck out of me.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Didnt know some parents do the "all gifts from santa" thing.

My family it was always one gift, typically in cardboard papers with fancy writing, just kind of appears by Xmas day and we open that upon waking up. Then we wait for everyone to be up to do the personal gifts.

we don't plan to do Santa with our daughter. We have a sister in law that is 8 and she is super spoiled and she even takes like gifts from relatives, CLEARLY MARKED from relatives and says stuff like "NO THIS IS FROM SANTA" etc. and wont say thank you to the relatives that bought her things. There is another lesson in here I am sure for how she was raised, but seeing that just scared the heck out of me.

That is a parenting issue, not a "because they do the santa thing" issue. lol

One of the more.. day ruining issues some parents think is "okay".

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Didnt know some parents do the "all gifts from santa" thing.

My family it was always one gift, typically in cardboard papers with fancy writing, just kind of appears by Xmas day and we open that upon waking up. Then we wait for everyone to be up to do the personal gifts.

That is a parenting issue, not a "because they do the santa thing" issue. lol

One of the more.. day ruining issues some parents think is "okay".
yeah I agree! plenty to unpack on that one, but I wont lol. We still plan to not do Santa or any of the other things, Easter bunny, Tooth fairy, etc.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I never had a Santa gift growing up and when my old lady insisted doing it with our kids I've always felt it's dumb. Think this is the first year we're not doing it even though none of our kids have believed in Santa for a long time, HUZZAH!

We do Santa gifts (and gifts from us) for our kids.

We also do "Elf on the Shelf". My 13 year old knows it's all fake, but she absolutely loves looking for the elf with her 8 year old sister in the mornings. We always do something interesting with it.

My brother-in-law doesn't allow any "false Christmas stuff" with his kids. No Santa, no Elf, nothing at all "not real" is allowed in his home. Last time I saw his 8 year old daughter (my daughter and my sister's are in the same grade and class in school), she was in tears because everyone else has an Elf on the Shelf and she doesn't. She even told my daughter "I'm not allowed to have an Elf on the Shelf or presents from Santa."

I understand telling kids the truth if you want, or religious reasons (not the case here), but being an A-Hole just so you don't have to do something (that is the case based on talking to my sister) is awful. He has a "no lying to your kids" stance he's never backed down from. Let kids have fun, it literally makes the poor kids (they have 3) feel like outcasts in this case.

**Note: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not doing Santa gifts, I've actually considered that one, as it doesn't take anything away or change them getting a gift.

Edit** Side note, they do Easter egg hunts...so??? Granted, he doesn't take part usually.

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
The different ways Santa behaved from friend to friend was always a fun giveaway. Even still, I believed longer than I should've because there was always something "magical" about presents showing up in the middle of the night.

My parents wrapped all that shit throughout the night with unique wrapping paper that wasn't used elsewhere.

My parent would always put their names on clothes or cheaper fun stuff

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, I was like 14 before I realized that my birthday was only seven months after my parents' anniversary...
Funny. I was around 18 when my Aunt was over our house, we had the photo album out, and she spilled the beans the photos I always wondered what they were since I was around 3 and in a suit was actually photos of my parents getting married by civil union at the courthouse and I was the ring bearer. Up until that point in time my mom had lied and said they were married before they had me.
She felt awful about doing so, and it did not make a huge difference to me as they were my parents, just was a surprise.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I also had gifts from both. The real question, were Santa's gifts wrapped or un-wrapped? Mine were unwrapped but my wife's were wrapped.
Haha, I thought my parents were the only ones who did the unwrapped thing.

My parents would often setup the toys around the tree and then they would have a couple gifts wrapped from Mom & Dad. I always liked the gifts from Santa being unwrapped. It adds a nice magically moment for young kids to see something like the TMNT van surrounded by the Turtles under the tree the second they enter the room.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In UK we put sacks/stockings at the foot of the child's bed, so that is where presents from the fat man go. Presents from real people go under the tree.

Yes, this means we have to sneak in after they fall asleep, retrieve sacks, fill them, then put them back without them waking.

sven

Oct 31, 2017

Gifts from parents were always wrapped in regular wrapping paper. The Santa gifts were always wrapped in red and green tissue paper.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Thats because your sister in law is shit, has nothing to do with Santa.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
We have our names for 'our' gifts...and santa's name for his gifts.

We tend to do something a bit more modest with Santa gifts, also Santa does the Stockings.

The BIG gifts come from us, so no, santa is not going to get credit for the PS5 lol. I know some parents don't have the means that others do, There is a thought to have santa gifts be a bit more modest. So when kids go and talk to other kids, its not overwhelimg.

Yeah, we've been doing the same thing with Santa gifts. My daughter is also starting to clue in on the whole thing but still has fun with it so we're not going to ruin it for her. We don't really confirm or deny it, just ask "what do you think?"

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In UK we put sacks/stockings at the foot of the child's bed, so that is where presents from the fat man go. Presents from real people go under the tree.

Yes, this means we have to sneak in after they fall asleep, retrieve sacks, fill them, then put them back without them waking.

You like to live Dangerously, don't you?

The Tooth Fairy is another dangerous holiday lol

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, we've been doing the same thing with Santa gifts. My daughter is also starting to clue in on the whole thing but still has fun with it so we're not going to ruin it for her. We don't really confirm or deny it, just ask "what do you think?"

Our son finally point blanked asked us this year..we had to fess up. Now he knows and we let him on still making it fun for his sister. (His job is to move the elf)

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
We give our daughter gifts Xmas morning with a stocking but she knows they are from us, and that Santa is just a story. I don't see the point in encouraging them to believe in magic/supernatural stuff, don't get why that seems to be the normal thing most people do.