• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i think they look goofy, but then again I'm too old to give two shits about it. Their convenience really can't be beat, and they're just as much one of the best headsets I have for work as it is something I can pop in when I'm washing my dishes, mowing the lawn or doing some exercise. They're about on par w price of higher end Bluetooth headsets so I always thought it was funny seeing people flip their shit about the price.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Apple product since the 2012 MacBook Pro. I never actually thought they looked weird, especially since they're just EarPods without the wire game changing for people who workout( use earhooks they won't fall out)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Airs are the best youll get out of convenience and wirelessness until we can stream audio to our chips in our brains

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
By now they're almost as ubiquitous as the regular wired headphones were in the past, at least here in NYC. AirPods cross income levels - you see them in working class and wealthy neighborhoods. I haven't thought about them as something weird or new in years.

Oct 30, 2017
Because only poor people use wired headphones.
Phones and expensive electronics are status symbols for people with very bad fiscal responsibility. If you're financing a $1000 iPhoneX and wearing air pods in public, most people are just laughing at your expense. Nobody thinks you're a baller, except other broke people.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought much of them until I saw everyone in London wearing them. After that I bought my own, I had no idea how much I needed them. They are awesome for transit use. 10/10 would buy again.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about status symbol, but they are a fashion statement. But then again, this is not new (Beats, Bose, the original Apple earphones etc.)

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these posts are hilarious; Just as bad as people that wear them just to show off.

Anyway, I think the change in perception is from more people getting to see how AirPods are. I hated the wired EarPods that came bundled with iPhones. The wire caused them to fall out my ears. I got Klipsch wired earbuds alongside the iPhone 5, and used them for years.

I got JBL Bluetooth earbuds alongside my iPhone 8 Plus, but they started to rip shortly after I got the iPhone X. I decided to try out AirPods after a friend told me how much he liked them. I'm now a pretty big fan of them too.

The sound quality is better than EarPods in my opinion, though not on par with headphones that are of the same price — especially if you listen to a ton of music really heavy bass (I don't as I'm more into more laid back music). The convenience makes up for it though. They connect in an instant, have pretty cool pause and skip track functions, and work very well alongside the charging case making me not have to worry about battery life at all. I like them a lot.

Last edited:

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
They still ugly and overpriced. They became a status thing the moment they were announced because they are yet another expensive apple product.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Status symbol? I pity the fools considering them as a status symbol, to be fair I pity everyone buying things just to have as a status symbol as one of the reasons.

But I don't considering them ugly, they look like the regular ones without the wires. I just know that I always hated the shitty quality of the wired ones you get with the iphone. Broken after a couple of months and fucking impossible to keep in ears without falling off. In general I just prefer wired ones(not apples).

Oct 27, 2017
Because low self esteem people think they are part of an important group of people when they use them.

I prefer my Audio Technica headphones.

Oct 27, 2017
They still ugly and overpriced. They became a status thing the moment they were announced because they are yet another expensive apple product.
For the price, they are definitely lacking in the audio department. It really isn't that hard to make good sounding wireless earbuds. Lots of companies do it for under 30 dollars yet apple seems to struggle mightily to do it on their 150-200 dollar headphones. But as long as people talk themselves into the obscene price with excuses like, "I'm paying for convenience, not audio quality", they can get away with it. Even their "audiophile" Beats earbuds that cost 200 dollars sound ridiculously awful.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what's is this instant thing that people are so rave about.
From my experience Sony or cheap xiaomis will connect as soon you turn them on.

Like in less then a second.
It's the baseline not a feature.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I just wanted some very tiny headphones that sound fine. I'm an ugly fucker with cheap clothes, so if I wanted to look more fashionable I'd get a decent haircut and some nicer clothes instead of some tiny bits of white plastic that no one (except a few weirdly judgemental people in this topic) would even notice.

When I want better sound quality I wear bigger headphones. When I'm on public transport with no coat or bag, which is most of the time, I don't want to carry bigger headphones.

When I bought them there were no other decent, totally wireless options. Maybe next time I'll buy something different, but that won't be until the batteries die on my Airpods.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what's is this instant thing that people are so rave about.
From my experience Sony or cheap xiaomis will connect as soon you turn them on.

Like in less then a second.
It's the baseline not a feature.
Yep. Every single bluetooth headphone or earbuds I own connect immediately upon being turned on or pulled from their charging case.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
For the price, they are definitely lacking in the audio department. It really isn't that hard to make good sounding wireless earbuds. Lots of companies do it for under 30 dollars yet apple seems to struggle mightily to do it on their 150-200 dollar headphones. But as long as people talk themselves into the obscene price with excuses like, "I'm paying for convenience, not audio quality", they can get away with it. Even their "audiophile" Beats earbuds that cost 200 dollars sound ridiculously awful.
yup. I dont think I have seen an apple product that isnt overpriced to the nth degree

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Apple done it again. Whenever I see people with AirPods out in public (and there are a lot) I immediately feel like I'm missing something by not having a pair. I have normal Bluetooth headphones but even those feel lame in comparison to AirPods.

AirPods are show stoppers. Everyone notices them. My buddy swears that when he has it he gets more attention from people (not just girls). He just notices people checking him out more.

In terms of status:

AirPods > Bluetooth headphones > wired earphones (unless they are nice expensive ones like sennheiser or audio technical)

Eh, I think your buddy may be into himself and and his new toy a bit too much. Nobody is checking him out more because he has fucking airpods in his ears. Are you in highschool?

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather buy over-ear bluetooth headphones, because they have more value as a "listening experience" rather than simple usability and looking "cool" and "modern" lol. I think AirPods look silly... and they certainly don't sound that great for the amount they cost. In terms of ease of access? Sure, it's pretty much a game changer for Apple. But not for me, not in the slightest, and I don't consider myself an "audiophile" whatsoever.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about fashion statement or status symbol but it is an amazing product. Zero regrets and would buy it again if I had to.

Was hoping they would drop a black pair with the wireless charging case revision but nope.

mechs

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
I have seen a total of one person wearing them in the last six months

Where do you live?

Anyway in London for most people they aren't a "thing" really. People just have them because they're popular and they're pretty damn good.

I asked a friend who was going to HK to get them for me a bit cheaper so I paid say £130 for them, which in the past 3 years is midrange (had Beats, Sony noise cancelling ones and 2 pairs of random Chinese BT ones from Amazon). They are solid, I do like the ease of using them with all my Apple products seamlessly.

But I am looking at the 1000MX3 as my main drivers, as I walk home a lot the lack of noise cancelling is a bit rubbish. But I have zero regrets buying them, I am thinking of the Beats one too, just need to check some reviews

Anyway, I'd not really consider buy any product as a social "one upper". Especially not Apple products. I just like them more than your average tech brand

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Omaha, and my current job is on the affluent side of town. This city is actually an early adopter of lots of technology. Even our libraries were switched over to USB-C for connecting your phone within months of it's release.

We're just a smidge under the million mark for population so it's not a small city, either.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
They were never that weird looking. It's just that people on the internet who like moaning about everything need something to be whining about Apple for for a while and they were a decent candidate.

A bit like the notch.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
They work extremely well for leisure and business, my big bosses own them...and they don't look weird imo.

I had a pair, but they aren't great with Android (personal phone), so noise cancelling Bose headphones for me.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen Airpods and thought "status". They do look clean and discrete though.

Beats are also a "fashionable" product. Old white Apple earbuds were also "fashionable". All they indicate to me is that the person wearing them doesn't care about audio quality.

Yeah, this. Or they're the kind of person who thinks all Apple products are automatically the best because it's Apple.

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that those owning them seem to think that it's fine to keep them in when talking to someone. It's the new wearing sunglasses inside.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
A friendly reminder: It's always terrible to look at and listen to a person on the phone in public.

For music.... yeah there are headphones in that price-class that comepletely run cirlcles around your senseless ears.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather buy over-ear bluetooth headphones, because they have more value as a "listening experience" rather than simple usability and looking "cool" and "modern" lol. I think AirPods look silly... and they certainly don't sound that great for the amount they cost. In terms of ease of access? Sure, it's pretty much a game changer for Apple. But not for me, not in the slightest, and I don't consider myself an "audiophile" whatsoever.

I'm not wearing over the ear headphones while walking around.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not wearing over the ear headphones while walking around.

Agreed. On airplanes and at home movies, I use my $300 Sony headsets. In public walking around, I use my airpods.

Also, you have to understand that some of us android and Apple owners who has airpods brought it when the truly wireless was brand new and at the time, apple was the most well rounded wireless on the market. But now, since tech has caught up and Apple 2nd iteration of the airpods seems to be the same damn Earbud, I might look at other options when my airbuds decide to quit on me.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I own a pair because I like the convenience of not having wires and the play/pause when putting them on and off is quite appreciated.
I didn't know some weird people would ever think I'd look like a douchebag, but if that's what it takes, sure. I find it pretty funny that someone looking at me would have such feelings out of just wearing wireless earphones.

They are perfect for me for walking around the city. When going to any shop I just take one of and everything stops, letting me talk with whoever I might need to talk to. Pop them back inside the case and they recharge and are ready to go again. At home and work I use different headphones, but for when going out somewhere, they are nice.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They are super convenient. People miss this.

They're not status symbols. You guys are always wrong about this stuff.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think they look like butt. My wife bought me some Aftershokz induction headphones for Christmas. They look kinda silly too, and the sound isnt great, but the convenience of not having anything in my ears is probably the greatest thing ever. I don't really get the arguments about airpods having good function even. It's just a "I have enough money to waste it on ugly things" statement to me.