• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I completely missed the wave of "Airpods exist!" "Airpods are so dumb" and am just catching the "Airpods are a thing people wear" wave so this is all out of the blue for me.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They're not hideous or anything, I guess, wear what you want. I don't think they're a fashion symbol personally, but what do I know...
Maybe being bright white looks a little odd.

Big over-ear headphones though? They look awesome.
That should be a fashion symbol. You can trust me, I know a lot about fashion.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They still look lame. I've bought cheaper and more fashionable wireless ear buds. Not that I care about being fashionable. It's just wild that such an ugly product can command so much money.

Aug 27, 2018
My ex bought me a pair last year, I still use them. I don't really mind them to be honest, and this is the longest I've ever kept a pair of headphones. Usually with wired headphones I break them in a month because I wear them constantly.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre so good you cant really go back to using wired headphones.

Also, being able to finance them with every phone company has a lot to do with it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I constantly get asked about them. People are curious about how they actually work and if they work as advertised.

Feb 1, 2018
The biggest issue with BT headsets until now was that syncing and connecting was a pain. The W1 chip in Airpods fixed that. "it just works" as the saying goes. And all your devices know it and sync with them instantly.

The other issue was battery life. Airpods fixed that with the convenient charging case. It charges in ~15 minutes. You can top it off quickly while getting ready for work or driving around. The case keeps the headset charged and uses lightning which most everybody already has in their ecosystem of cables.

The sound quality is decent. It's not for audiophiles. It's for the average person. It's fine for them. Personally I use airpods when out and about and have Sony MDR-7506 (the OG) at my desktop when I actually need to listen to something.

The design is understated and slick, not like the bulky and hideous Jabra sets or those huge audiophile cans people put over their heads to let everybody around them know they are SERIOUS ABOUT SOUND QUALITY. But it still has that signature white finish so you know it's Apple/iPod-era/etc.

This is their strategy- find a promising new product category that suffers from early-gen issues and no serious competition, go in "late" and refine the shit out of it for the mainstream user, making it a household name. Sell millions. Become a meme.

Excellent well made product takes off and sells like hot cakes.

This thread: "but why?"

Hipsterism in efforts to sound smart and opinionated.

Last edited:

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't aware they did.

Maybe it's because I work in hospitality but I generally associate any bluetooth headphones with pretentious businessmen talking on them and rudely gesturing to the staff rather than actually interacting with them.
That's the image I used to have too. A loud, obnoxious man. But they're definitely fashionable now. It's clear where I live, at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I go to the trendiest gym in my city and I still see way more beats or over ear headphones than airpods. I'm sure people have them alot but I never notice them. They definitely aren't a trend I've noticed
Nor should they be. Apple won't fix them if sweat/rain breaks them. And yeah, at the gym I don't see any of them. I see people with bluetooth earbuds that are connected by a wire, which is far more convenient since you can take them out and hand them around your neck. They also can be had for under 20 bucks and yet still sound much better than AirPods.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Gotchu, OP

h4F23A675

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about the look, it's a very functional and useful piece of hardware. Everyone I know who was sceptical (including me) changed their mind once they tested it out.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nor should they be. Apple won't fix them if sweat/rain breaks them. And yeah, at the gym I don't see any of them. I see people with bluetooth earbuds that are connected by a wire, which is far more convenient since you can take them out and hand them around your neck. They also can be had for under 20 bucks and yet still sound much better than AirPods.
People keep bringing this up lol. If people cared about value, Apple would have gone out of business long ago.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
They look good, but internet weirdos will tell you that they are look horrible until they finally buy their own knock-offs.
They were cheap, but internet weirdos would liken them to diamond-plated goldbars in your ears.
They are functional, but internet weirdos would claim they couldn't ever be.
Apple ought to write you guys a check for the constant free advertising, y'all. Also all this petty Apple hate ITT lmao, shit should be bannable like console warz.

full disclosure: I'm happy with my beat-up headphones and won't buy any ear-buds for the next couple of years

beins

Oct 25, 2017
Are they more comfortable to use than the old Apple earbuds? I haven't used non silicone tipped earphones in ages.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think they look silly and are overpriced. I use audiophile headphones and in-ear earphones and for me that money is better spent on those than something that sounds the same as regular apple earphones, just with the added convenience.

So, sorry, but every time I see someone with an airpod hanging out their ear, I go "Pffft..." to myself while I tap on my iphone Xs and bring it up to my ear to listen to some video quietly.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Most celebs/athletes probably uses iphones since they are more accessible - thus how AirPod became fashionable.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Every fashionista in London and Amsterdam are currently wearing airpods. I kinda dig the minimalist look and I guess they are fantastic to actually use as a daily driver.

I don't own a pair because I can't let go of my noise-cancelling headphones anytime soon, but I totally understand the appeal.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
No matter how the would look vor be designed, the still would be expensive Apple pods and people would still buy them.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Also, they aren't weird looking. They're Apple head phones without the wires. It's the least weird looking product to take off I've seen in years.
They look weird specifically because they're earpods with no wires. The profile the tube coming off the bud creates is off because of the way they hang there jutting out (usually away from the face). The wires on the earbuds completed the profile (for lack of a better word). Again though, it's not like they're hideous or anything and overall it's whatever since they're so minimal. It's not like they're over designed like a Razer mouse on your ear or anything.

Last edited:

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Apple miraculously turned them into a status symbol with it's premium price. Plus all the memes kept them in the public eye and normalised the aesthetic.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent well made product takes off and sells like hot cakes.

This thread: "but why?"

Also, they aren't weird looking. They're Apple head phones without the wires. It's the least weird looking product to take off I've seen in years.

Yup. They were never weird looking, they were just an Apple product that people reaaaaally wanted to shit on, and once they came out and it was revealed that they worked really flawlessly and sounded pretty good and didn't actually fall out of your ears or get lost immediately, people only had "but they're so ugly!" to cling on to.

Apple miraculously turned them into a status symbol with it's premium price. Plus all the memes kept them in the public eye and normalised the aesthetic.

The second best wireless earbuds, Jabra Elites, are $10 more. Samsung's option is $10 less. Google's abysmal pixel buds are the same price. Not really sure what you want Apple to do here; if anything Airpods are their most appropriately priced product right now.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. 150 dollars for headphones that sound that awful with such a bad battery life is just ridiculous.

Oh, you're at it again.

For $150 they're not awful compared to the competition. They're priced appropriately within the market and are actually on the cheap end. And the battery life is on the high end in the market, 5 hours with the tiny case offering 24 hours extra with quick charge. It's convenient.

Yeah, my B&O E8 2.0's are way more expensive at $350 and sound amazing, but the AirPods sound fine for what they're offering in their respective price range.

But keep bullshitting about it and ignoring those who fact check you.

I visit 3 different XSport locations, two in the burbs and one in the city of Chicago weekly and each one has an decent amount of people with AirPods.

I don't use mine for the gym but I ditched "wired" wireless earbuds for true wirelessly Bose buds and they're way more convenient. The wire on the back of my neck while running has always been an issue.

Last edited:

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
because they are awesome. absolutely terrific device that is as convenient as wired but more comfortable, easier / cleaner to carry, and super convenient for calls or music. I rarely carried wired earbuds. I always carry my AirPods.

I've had them since December 2016 at this point, and if I lost them, I'd spring for another pair in a second. They have been worth every dollar I have spent and then some.

There are ubiquitous because people love them and use them all the time.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. They were never weird looking, they were just an Apple product that people reaaaaally wanted to shit on, and once they came out and it was revealed that they worked really flawlessly and sounded pretty good and didn't actually fall out of your ears or get lost immediately, people only had "but they're so ugly!" to cling on to.

The second best wireless earbuds, Jabra Elites, are $10 more. Samsung's option is $10 less. Google's abysmal pixel buds are the same price. Not really sure what you want Apple to do here; if anything Airpods are their most appropriately priced product right now.

The best true wireless buds on the market right now are either the Sennheiser Momentum's or the B&O E8 2.0's. But they're both extremely expensive.

BetterWorldz

Oct 27, 2017
I still think they look ugly af and seem wildly overpriced compared to some alternatives but whatever makes people happy and feel like they belong, I guess.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good product and once you have it you use it all the time. I use it a lot more than I used any wired headphones because it's so easy to pop it in even if I'm going to take out the garbage.

I don't think it's a status symbol because seemingly everyone has it. From construction workers to businessmen to teachers.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The little dangly bit looks stupid. Regardless you really see them here and when you do it certainly ain't fashionable folk wearing them it's people like me.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
memes. but mostly they're weird and not really a fashion statement. a consumer statement maybe.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They still look dumb as shit. It's just been ok to wear them because they're Apple and people use apple gear.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I own a pair, and they're great. I don't make too many phone cal it's generally used for listening to music.

I've had them for a couple of years now.

On another note:

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screw the looks, but I fiddled with my friends Pods a couple of times and as usual with Apple earphone: they fit like crap. No thank you.