• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
they look 'okay' from the side, but stupid af from the front. I'm digging the minimalist look of the galaxy buds, although the white ones look like cotton balls.

DT-04-JustWhatYouWantV4.jpg

I have a black pair and they do just fine.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I see people have them in as fashion but they are not listening to anything...

These people are shills.

Oct 25, 2017
Apple sheep. That's why they made sure to necessitate the use of dongles. No one wants to deal with that!

Pretty glad I don't give a shit with my wired buds or if people think less of me. Though to be honest, the people I see walking around with them I assume are douchebags lol
The beautiful irony are comments like these who say they don't give a shit what people think of them for what they wear, yet judge and think less of people wearing airpods. just lol

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen anyone wearing em.

I still look down on anyone not using a dedicated audio player to listen to audio.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airpods are the best product Apple has introduced since the iPad, so that obviously helps a lot. If the thing you are selling has incredibly functional and pragmatic appeal, then people really won't care about how silly it looks.

It's also to Airpods' benefit that they are just a wireless version of EarPods, which everyone is already used to seeing. If you put them in your ears you look just like the guy that has wired headphones, but there's no wires -- so you're really not that bizarre or different.

And of course, wireless headpieces have simply been normalized. We have seen people using them for nearly a decade, and while they look weird and silly at first they're almost passe now.

"What's the deal with those hands free headsets that everyone is wearing in their ears? **chokes back vomit** It's like, 'Everybody look at me, I'm one part robot and three parts asshole'" **wretches into the microphone**"

The whole point of this scene is how making fun of wireless headsets is lame, cliche hack material for comedians. I think you could almost argue that this was the moment everyone was ready to accept bluetooth ear buds. The people who were too-cool-for-school are just made to look tired and petty.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The beautiful irony are comments like these who say they don't give a shit what people think of them for what they wear, yet judge and think less of people wearing airpods. just lol
I never said it wasn't hypocritical, but it's truth. I've tried them and different similar products and the lack of sound isolation/sound leakage as good as my wired buds is what kills it.

Last edited:

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I dont think they are fashion symbols though, at least not on the same level as beats once were. And price isnt the issue, the $200+ beats were everywhere.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Because they also happen to be Apple's best new product in like five years. They're legit life changing

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that Google makes an Android equivalent to AirPods, just so people can get over it and stop obsessing over Airpods.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
They're expensive, very convenient, and also stick out of your ears a little bit to show that you were able to afford them.

It's silly. I have a couple of different "truly" wireless earbuds that work incredibly well and only cost like $35. And they don't have a little white dongle hanging from my ear.

These were the ones I got, but they seem to not be for sale anymore:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784T682Z/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51vGqDhIluL._SL500_.jpg
51LZLkI%2B6rL._SL500_.jpg

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Lol I just asked my friend this the other day, like is it a $ flex or...? They aren't that expensive or anything vs. top tier gear

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that Google makes an Android equivalent to AirPods, just so people can get over it and stop obsessing over Airpods.
Unfortunately Apple product popularity does not seem to work like that. Samsung buds are right around the corner but I don't see that really stopping people from fawning over AirPods

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because of their asking price. Apple knew what they were doing. Only thing I'm surprised by is that they haven't made karat gold ones yet.

When I wear mine (a gift from christmas) I feel simultaneously dumb but also like I am better than a lot of people.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Blame the competition? Like they either release a pos or make super premium devices.

I love sony but they can take their "here is our $1k alternative!!" up their ass.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd love to buy a pair, but Apples insistence on solid plastic ear buds make them impossible for me to use. Such an absolutely stupid design choice. Embarrassingly bad, yet unwaveringly popular.

Humans are stupid.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Excellent well made product takes off and sells like hot cakes.

This thread: "but why?"

Also, they aren't weird looking. They're Apple head phones without the wires. It's the least weird looking product to take off I've seen in years.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Apple product popularity does not seem to work like that. Samsung buds are right around the corner but I don't see that really stopping people from fawning over AirPods
It's just like the original iPhone. Once the form factor and convenience of AirPods has been imitated by a half dozen other products, they will lose their mystique.

Oct 30, 2017
Slick marketing. Plus it helps that it's actually a pretty great product, especially considering they're completely wireless, sync up perfectly with each other and the phone at the same time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, they aren't weird looking. They're Apple head phones without the wires. It's the least weird looking product to take off I've seen in years.
Apple spent a decade normalizing the look of their earbuds, so I'm not sure why it's that confusing that wireless Apple earbuds would look normal and unsurprising.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to buy a pair, but Apples insistence on solid plastic ear buds make them impossible for me to use. Such an absolutely stupid design choice. Embarrassingly bad, yet unwaveringly popular.

Humans are stupid.

This sums up a lot of apple products pretty much since their inception. They're not terrible products, but they've always been overpriced ripoffs that try to sell themselves way too hard at being unique and weird at the cost of extra functionality. It sort of made sense when Microsoft owned everything. Now that Apple is mainstream, it just feels ironically sad to me.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They're a great way to show off how rich you are
and a great way to show how easy of a robbery mark you are

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
OP do you live in some podunk town (no offense)? No one even bats an eyelid round here. They're headphones.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'm so glad I don't think about stuff like this.

That being said I dont airpods look weird at all. I am well behind the curve or whatever I guess though. I am just now debating if I want to get bluetooth headphones...I'm actually leaning towards bone conduction oddly enough.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
How is a $150 item a status symbol? The sound quality isn't that great, I'm going to use the galaxy buds only because they are free. Wired headphones / buds >>>>>>> bluetooth music quality.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They're very functional but they still look terrible and the sound isn't that great.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They're expensive, very convenient, and also stick out of your ears a little bit to show that you were able to afford them.

It's silly. I have a couple of different "truly" wireless earbuds that work incredibly well and only cost like $35. And they don't have a little white dongle hanging from my ear.

These were the ones I got, but they seem to not be for sale anymore:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784T682Z/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51vGqDhIluL._SL500_.jpg
51LZLkI%2B6rL._SL500_.jpg
I mean, opinions are opinions, but there's no way those look less stupid in your ears than Airpods lol

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
They still look weird, and they're basically a way to say "Hey look how wealthy I am."

I've been eyeballing a $80 pair f Anker wireless headphones but I hate that they're basically earplugs and block out all outside sound. The lone reason I like Apple's EarPods is because they don't operate that way.

Nov 11, 2017
If they became cool I must have missed that. It's fine if you own them, but in general they do look pretty awful, they sound meh, and you will lose them.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I always thought they looked cool from the moment they got announced. I was skeptical they would stay in my ears, but they work like a charm for me.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Only reason I look at people wearing them is because I can't stop thinking how fucking stupid they look.