• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 16, 2017
Apple done it again. Whenever I see people with AirPods out in public (and there are a lot) I immediately feel like I'm missing something by not having a pair. I have normal Bluetooth headphones but even those feel lame in comparison to AirPods.

AirPods are show stoppers. Everyone notices them. My buddy swears that when he has it he gets more attention from people (not just girls). He just notices people checking him out more.

In terms of status:

AirPods > Bluetooth headphones > wired earphones (unless they are nice expensive ones like sennheiser or audio technical)

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone has them these days but I don't think they were ever "weird". This is what happens when people think the voice of forum goers and comment sections and tech bloggers = the voice of the general of the public.

The general public don't care. They want good shit, cool shit, etc... This is both.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Wasn't aware they did.

Maybe it's because I work in hospitality but I generally associate any bluetooth headphones with pretentious businessmen talking on them and rudely gesturing to the staff rather than actually interacting with them.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I think people get more attention when they wear them because they stand out. It's still a bit jarring when I see them. I don't think all of the attention you get from them is good necessarily.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Apple has the resources to brute forces their technology into fashion/icon tier. I'm not saying the airpods are aesthetically hideous - brand power can only get you so far, but get enough celebrities donning them, shoot them in flattering enough commercials and once enough people are wearing them any kind of stigma associated with them disappears.

Apple are always seen as being "ahead of the curve" so when they make something goofy looking, the kneejerk reactions are put on the backburner, replaced by benefit of the doubt.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I mean they've become a meme i know that much. There's a huge joke around them .

Oct 25, 2017
Weirder to me were all the people frothing at the mouth trying to convince me they looked weird. Fashion is "weird". Let adults wear whatever the fuck they want. It aint any weirder or stupid looking than the hoverboard fad some years ago and looked legitimately dumb, as well as being dangerous. It helps that the actual product is actually damn good at what it does and one of the more innovative Apple releases recently.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I have a pair and love them but they still look pretty stupid.

No idea how they are considered a fashion status symbol.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one that thinks of this when they see airpods

benstiller-619-386.png

Oct 25, 2017
China
There was a time when people thought walkmans were stupid looking, or even wearing massive expensive Headphones for example. People take time to come around to new things.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Apple sheep. That's why they made sure to necessitate the use of dongles. No one wants to deal with that!

Pretty glad I don't give a shit with my wired buds or if people think less of me. Though to be honest, the people I see walking around with them I assume are douchebags lol

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
Still weird looking... but who cares? They're headphones. One of their major functions is to block out others anyway.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Apple.

Like, i dont have a better answer.
I even bought one too, a waste of money if you ask me

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I sometimes check out folks with earbuds to see if I can tell what's wrong with them from looking. Usually the answer is too much cash

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I want a pair but I know in my heart of hearts I'm too clumsy and I'll lose them. I'll just rock with my JBL and beats.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't take 50 years.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2019/03...tially-carcinogenic-effects-of-wireless-tech/

https://www./health/article-6796679/Are-AirPods-dangerous-250-scientists-warn-be.html

Seems to be an article warning against the radioactivity that is directly exposed to your ears.

I guess all the cool kids are beta-testing ear cancer for everyone else

direct link to article
https://www.emfscientist.org/images/docs/International_EMF_Scientist-Appeal.pdf

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's mostly because Apple products are priced at a premium and everyone knows it.

I still think they look kinda silly tbh

Nov 26, 2018
Seeing the "I don't speak broke" meme came outta nowhere and they then became super popular, I believe it was a marketing scheme. However, I do like my airpods.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
only recently have I gotten some shit from my friends for wearing airpods. I've worn them consistently since last year but only the start of this year has had people go out of their way to mention them. The memes have maybe been enabling people to talk about them more?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do too. It's doubly prominent though because we have a vending machine at work that bills your department and dispenses them.

Makes me think that once Apple or Occulus really get the form factor down to eyeglass size VR/AR people are just going to straight up disconnect from reality and walk head face into traffic.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Beats are also a "fashionable" product. Old white Apple earbuds were also "fashionable". All they indicate to me is that the person wearing them doesn't care about audio quality.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Reminds me of when Blutooth first came out and everyone that wore the headsets in public were seen as douchebags. The perception will probably die soon and it'll be commonplace, particularly as they get more popular and there are cheaper options.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
just wear $15 behind the neck headphones, dont mess up your hair, dont fall off while lifting, and cheap so you can have multiple pairs