• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a Hydroflask for years now. I also have similar bottles from cheaper brands and they work just as well as the Hydroflask so you definitely don't need to shell out the extra cash for the "premium" brand. I also had no idea they were popular with kids.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain the glitch in the matrix that made these things popular for a couple years.

615LwV8emIL._SX425_.jpg

I'm glad it's no longer the case.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather buy my kid (if I had one) a hydro flask than like...second hand Supreme merch or something.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
You can find plenty of better priced stainless vacuum insulated bottles but comparing these to Nalgene doesn't make sense. Those bottle don't keep anything cold and sweat.

Sure, I just picked a water bottle brand at random, wasn't thinking much about Nalgene's products in particular, but the point was that HydroFlask's are expensive and everyone knows it.

I'd rather buy my kid (if I had one) a hydro flask than like...second hand Supreme merch or something.

I don't think it's really an either/ or thing. Supreme may be a bit much, but you're not going to pass as cool if you own a nice water bottle and cheap everything else.

I bought one at Whole Foods a year ago. It wasn't more than $20.

It must have been on sale. Or maybe they raised prices after the brand got popular, they I think even a year ago it was already really well-known.

I shop at Whole Foods every week and I know they sell HydroFlasks for MSRP. Even their smallest 12oz bottle for kids is $30. I bought a 40oz months ago and it was a little over $40.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My children are apparently in the wrong social classes to use these. I think my daughter is in the class that gets abused by the kids with these bottles. My son is apparently in the class that makes fun of the kids with the bottles.

I'm just glad that I'm not a kid. It all sorta makes me sad.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a cheap ugly water bottle and I regret it because I'll probably be toting this piece of shit everywhere I go for the next 10 years.

Dec 22, 2017
I would love to think of the next market or product that is prime for this kind of disruption. Like who the hell predicted people would shell out money for a cooler, but Yeti comes along and sells them for hundreds of dollars a pop.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
My children are apparently in the wrong social classes to use these. I think my daughter is in the class that gets abused by the kids with these bottles. My son is apparently in the class that makes fun of the kids with the bottles.

I'm just glad that I'm not a kid. It all sorta makes me sad.
I would rather break both of my femurs again than be in middle school or go through puberty again.
There's always been cool things to own that become status symbols among teens. The VSCO girl trend is really interesting to me because they're clearly the result of liberal eco-conscious parents and as a result status symbols become chic re-usable water bottles and metal straws. All things considered, that's good, right?

sksksksk and i oop
capitalism won't save us.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE:
When I picked my daughter up she mentioned that her water bottle was too small. I said "Should we get you a Hydroflask?"
She said "Eww no-that's what VSCO Girls have!"

Apparently in her school that they don't WANT to be VSCO Girls. They say things like "Oh, you're acting like a VSCO girl!" But for my niece in Los Angeles, they are all about trying to be a VSCO girl.

I told her I didn't know anything about any of this. She said "oh you don't know about sksksksksksk?"

Her understanding was also that VSCO was an App in the 90s.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX

This thread has been educational for me. Also old, also wondering why she had to get a Hydroflask, OG vans, white crocs, why she stole my metal straw and some of my shirts. It's all coming together. She hasn't asked for the little backpack, yet. She's been at this for a while now and I just thought she had quirky tastes. None of her friends seem to fit the bill the same but maybe I'm not paying enough attn.

It's going to be hard resisting sksksksksk'ing her in a text. I would never try it verbally.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a few people that have these go out of their way to say "my Hydroflask", like, "I'll just bring my Hydroflask with me". It's just a water bottle. Say water bottle.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hello Fellow Olds, I've done some research:

VSCO is an app used for editing photos. The app had become popular with young women and a fashion/lifestyle trend got associated with it, featuring throwback items like scrunchies (popular hair elastics when I was a kid in the 80s/90s), a dress-down/casual look, certain brands, Birkenstock-like sandles (.. firkenstocks maybe?), hydroflask water bottles, and a perhaps ironic eco-consciouness, but I'm not sure if it's ironic or not. Many teen girls would express this type of style as their aesthetic, particularly on the video sharing app TikTok (Something I've heard of!), and it got labelled "The VSCO Girl."

The trend seems to not carry to people who are older than 20.

In my day, I probably would have called this like a "beach bum" style.

Here are some helpful resources:

Can someone explain what the sksksks thing is? That I can't find.

I used to use the VSCO Adobe Lightroom Presets back in 2012 when they first started and I have no idea that there's an app. This thread was so confusing to me.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My mum must have enjoyed my youth.

I always wanted to carry as little as possible so I didnt have to be careful, cautious and responsible with my belongings and focus on playing instead.

All I needed was a bag with my pencil case and cling wrapped sandwich stuffed into it.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello Fellow Olds, I've done some research:

VSCO is an app used for editing photos. The app had become popular with young women and a fashion/lifestyle trend got associated with it, featuring throwback items like scrunchies (popular hair elastics when I was a kid in the 80s/90s), a dress-down/casual look, certain brands, Birkenstock-like sandles (.. firkenstocks maybe?), hydroflask water bottles, and a perhaps ironic eco-consciouness, but I'm not sure if it's ironic or not. Many teen girls would express this type of style as their aesthetic, particularly on the video sharing app TikTok (Something I've heard of!), and it got labelled "The VSCO Girl."

The trend seems to not carry to people who are older than 20.

In my day, I probably would have called this like a "beach bum" style.

Here are some helpful resources:

Can someone explain what the sksksks thing is? That I can't find.
from your own link:
"If I catch another motherf----- saying 'sksksksk' s--- I'mma 'sksksksk' my foot up that a--," one TikTok user said in a video, mocking the way "VSCO girls" laugh online using the hissing "sksk" noise.

On Twitter, one user joked, "What do vsco girls wear on their wrists? skskskskskskrunchies."

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Due to having seen this thread earlier today, I noticed a shelf of Hydroflasks while browsing the kitchenware section of my grocery store. They all had their caps removed, with a sign saying you could get the caps at checkout. I thought that was funny.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I found this water bottle on clearance at Target and it's the greatest water bottle ever. It was supposed to be for my son but I've kept it for myself because it's the best water bottle ever and I refuse to let him have the best water bottle ever.

Only problem is that it holds like 8oz of water.
GUEST_d763fc85-bad8-427f-a685-cefd8279ac0a

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
My 6 year old told me her cheap Camelback water bottle was cool the other day because it has a squishy cap. I didn't have the heart to tell her its either contaminated with germs or BPA slowly killing her.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Due to having seen this thread earlier today, I noticed a shelf of Hydroflasks while browsing the kitchenware section of my grocery store. They all had their caps removed, with a sign saying you could get the caps at checkout. I thought that was funny.

I'm sure they're stolen often, many people carry them around and you're not going to want to confront someone you think might be holding a bottle they didn't pay for. Being able to identify that cap-less bottles haven't been paid for at least makes it way less awkward to ask customers "Are you going to pay for that?" even if it doesn't curb theft entirely.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes that water bottle good?

I know a few people with one that tracks how much you've drank that day and starts flashing to remind you to drink more water

I bought one because they're ridiculously good at keeping liquids at same hot/cold temp for nearly a day. Had no idea it was a trendy thing I've only seen one other person carrying one before. I've seen the Contigo bottles more often.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My nephew was telling me every girl in his class has been doing this stupid "sksksks and I oop" shit. Everyday we stray further from the light. Burn all hydroflasks.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's dumb - but if it gets people to drink more water / stay hydrated, this seems like a good thing in the end. I'd rather they get obsessed over a water flask than about the latest soft drink.

My nephew was telling me every girl in his class has been doing this stupid "sksksks and I oop" shit. Everyday we stray further from the light. Burn all hydroflasks.

Why are we allowed to have memes but not the kids?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
These seem pretty boring.

My son has a killer Pikachu water bottle. I think I would pick that over any of these.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The same water bottle trend happens here in the Netherlands, where everyone and their dog suddenly started using these expensive plastic 'Dopper' bottles for absolutely no raisin.

I'm a Zojirushi slim in white matte man myself. I'm not that cool.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It's a well designed insulated bottle with nice colors. It's a good product. Been using them for 5 years now.

Might as well ask why Nike's are popular.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Say reason Juul is popular: it's the counter culture and the style factor, that's it

Why do you think legwarmers were popular once upon an ancient time?

It's all about colorful style. It's the only link between each fad.