• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choose:

• Virtually beat-for-beat remake (90 - 100% recreated)

Votes: 316 36.8%
  • A few locations/sequences that aren't brought over (75 - 90%)

Votes: 281 32.7%
  • Whole areas/swaths of the game aren't remade (55 - 75%)

Votes: 172 20.0%
  • Entire biomes gone, e.g. no island (30 - 55%)

Votes: 44 5.1%
  • A shell of the former game (<30%)

Votes: 46 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 19, 2020
look if i'm not german suplexing zombies and having goofy knife fights and running away from a giant statue the remake can get out of my face

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
72624E96E6453150354C83429C1CAD8EF2E72D6D

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will have everything there. Some things may be changed for a new continuity that Capcom may want, but nothing significant. Excited to see Leon again! I'm curious how they will handle the action and QTE.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest worry comes from how they will handle the mechanics of the game, not necessarily the content. Not being able to move and shoot felt like a core element of the game to me, where the tension between moving and aiming, especially with enemies that could 1-hit kill you, really made the game feel incredible. I just can't imagine that they won't change it to the more modern system of being able to walk and shoot (it kind of felt old in 2005 and it would be absolutely ancient in 2022 or whenever this game is coming).

So I'm already accepting this isn't going to be the same game as RE4, so i'm fine if they want to do things like trm down the castle area, or remove the instant death QTEs, or whatever

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
You really didn't though, but it's fine. I'm just asking you to explain why you say it's not possible. You say that it's not possible, but you don't explain why it's not.

You started your OP with " We all know there's no way RE4R will have everything from RE4 remade "...which is factually incorrect, if you look at your poll results. So I'm just asking again, what insider information do you have? Because clearly you're making assumptions that are completely wrong.

Slightly edited the OP to be a bit more clear.

Could just have the statue fall forward or collapse.

That said, I do not expect RE4 to match the tone of 2&3.

RE3R had some over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek action/dialogue though, as if it's preparing people for RE4's tone. I'd still be surprised if there's anything close to a robot statue of one of the antagonists inside that castle

The castle is the best showcase of the game's combat. The quality of encounter design in that section alone runs circles around most other shooters.

It's all great, but do you think this fire-breathing dragon room will come back?

Re4_04_04_01_03.jpg

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The castle is the best showcase of the game's combat. The quality of encounter design in that section alone runs circles around most other shooters.
I mean, okay? But my fond memories of RE4 aren't in room after room of cult guys with shields and crossbows and the occasional giant cricket.

It's the village, the creature in the lake, getting the sniper rifle in the canyon, that giant brute thing that the dog helped me fight. Shitty mini-Napoleon, that ridiculous giant statue chasing you, that ridiculous knife fight. Fun crazy moments that that game sets out to create - not just wave after wave of combat encounters of cultists and mercenary guys.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
After surveys and reception to RE2/3, I think Capcom will take their time to keep in as much as possible.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Isn't this supposed to be a VR Oculus exclusive? Because if that's the case instead of that been a separate project I expect all the environments to be significantly reduced in size.

Otherwise, they should already know that no one will welcome any content to be cut.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
RE3R had some over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek action/dialogue though, as if it's preparing people for RE4's tone. I'd still be surprised if there's anything close to a robot statue of one of the antagonists inside that castle
The thing with 2 & 3 is that the tone and presentation had to be revised due to the nature of the games they were updating. They could not recreate the tone and dialog of the original game, nor would they want to. Those games are a historical artifact and a cultural oddity. They are very special. They can only exist in that form relative to when they were released. So a lot of reinterpretation of that story had to be reinterpreted for a new adaptation.

This is not true for RE4, which has a tone and dialog presentation that would have no problem being marketed today. RE4 isn't drastically different from something like Uncharted.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of stupid sections of that game, particularly in the back half, that go on way too long

Everything that that game is truly revered for and worth celebrating is in those opening hours. No one's going to cry because that fucking mine cart section gets cut out.
yeah, this. I also wouldn't mind if the island was cut out completely. There are elements from the island that can be brought over to the castle (like certain set pieces and the regenerator), but the level itself can go.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They shouldn't cut out all the stuff that makes that game fun ridiculous and silly. Like RE4's personality is just kinda bonkers and that's why it's so endearing. But the game is not made lesser by knowing "okay, we've done this bit for long enough. Let's move on."

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know how you make a new version of RE4 without breaking it. It has to be something different.
If you make RE4 into a modern action game then we end up in RE6 territory. I wonder if they'll slow it down, focus on complex puzzles and environments instead of the various corridors and battle arenas on the original.

RE4 is still great and we still have it on modern platforms so I'm happy for them to change whatever they want. I also really enjoyed RE2 and 3 remakes so I faith that they'll make something great.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played RE3R (just bought it on the PSN bf sale) but I hope Capcom takes criticism to heart and do not mess up RE4 Remake. That's literally one of the few videogames I consider to be perfect.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's all great, but do you think this fire-breathing dragon room will come back?

Re4_04_04_01_03.jpg

God I hope so.

I mean, okay? But my fond memories of RE4 aren't in room after room of cult guys with shields and crossbows and the occasional giant cricket.

It's the village, the creature in the lake, getting the sniper rifle in the canyon, that giant brute thing that the dog helped me fight. Shitty mini-Napoleon, that ridiculous giant statue chasing you, that ridiculous knife fight. Fun crazy moments that that game sets out to create - not just wave after wave of combat encounters of cultists and mercenary guys.

Those moments are memorable, but imo they're standing on the shoulders of the game's polished and constantly delightful meat and potatoes. Nearly every room in RE4 offers something memorable. Cutting parts like *clears throat* the gondola fight, the catapult room, the water hall, the giant turret room, the sewers, the hedge maze, the cage match, the lava room, DOUBLE EL GIGANTES, the mine cart, the Donkey Kong tower, the tower elevator, the crane game, the wrecking ball room, the bulldozer room, etc. would harm the game significantly for me. There isn't another shooter out there where I can vividly recall so many encounters. "Room after room of cult guys" really undersells what the game is doing on an encounter design level. It's constantly switching things up to a level that most games don't even come close to.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It will not be a beat-to-beat Remake.

This isn't a Capcom-exclusive problem but a AAA production problem. I think a lot of developers went overboard in the time from the PS2 days to the PS3 days, and after one or two projects they realized they couldn't afford to make games as big or as long in their design and structure as they used to, because of the increased production cost. You've seen this across many franchises, honestly. Reducing cinematics and long levels to shorter ones with padded open world stuff full of disembodied dialogue or text-logs, because the actual production of levels and cinematics take up too much money, time and work to be made in the quantity it used to be.

And this is why RE2 Remake is missing things, and why RE3 Remake is missing things. I know it's also a directorial issue. You'll know if you read interviews that there was miscommunication surrounding what was going to be remade and what wasn't. Some staff didn't want to bother with the Alligator in RE2 until their producer discovered they had abandoned it and asked "But why?" and they said "We don't want to." and he had to step in and say "but you're going to. Somehow." and it turned into a very short on-rails sequence.

So the fact is, RE4 will be a ground-up remake like the other two. And it will not have every level or be a 1:1 experience. It's going to face the fact that being remade under new concept arts, storyboards, rewrites and production restrictions, things are going to be changed and cut.

And it will publically be called "Resident Evil 4." not "RE4 Remake", because their new marketing strategy seems to be a sort of "reboot" of marketing. RE7 cleverly disguises the name in the title, and RE8 does the same but featuring a subtitle. So in a sense, Resident Evil 2 became the sequel to RE7, and Resident Evil 3 is the sequel to 2, and they're running the same strategy with RE4.

It's for the sake of the wider audience. They will have played RE2 and RE3, see "Resident Evil 4" and want to check that out too. It makes it seem as if Resident Evil is something new again, and people will be less afraid of having missed out on things... but that also means they are just as focused on people without nostalgia for these games as those who are. These are not really "For the fans" remakes as far as I'm concerned. It's a set of new people's interpretation of what they're seeing, some of them for the first time, in old PS1 games that they assume many in their new audience wouldn't know about.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
There's way too many areas, and it's a much longer game than RE3 ever was. And they still couldn't fit RE3 into the remake. Don't expect much on this one beyond it being a new game that draws heavily from RE4 -- which is maybe for the best! RE4 is a finely-tuned Swiss watch of a game that would not benefit from being messed with very much. Just do a new game with it.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with 2 & 3 is that the tone and presentation had to be revised due to the nature of the games they were updating. They could not recreate the tone and dialog of the original game, nor would they want to. Those games are a historical artifact and a cultural oddity. They are very special. They can only exist in that form relative to when they were released. So a lot of reinterpretation of that story had to be reinterpreted for a new adaptation.

This is not true for RE4, which has a tone and dialog presentation that would have no problem being marketed today. RE4 isn't drastically different from something like Uncharted.

I'm just saying that RE3R's "bitch can't even swim," and final battle seem like signs of a notable tonal shift compared to RE2R, moreso than any shift between the two originals. The more linear, action-focused approach of 3 suggests them laying groundwork for RE4.

yeah, this. I also wouldn't mind if the island was cut out completely. There are elements from the island that can be brought over to the castle (like certain set pieces and the regenerator), but the level itself can go.

What about the helicopter sequence and oven man?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They should just pay the person who has been modding the game with higher resolution assets & release the mod as an official remake.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What makes you think they won't

Slightly reworded the OP to be slightly more clear—it would be "borderline impossible" to have, say, a giant robotic statue chasing you in a game with the tone, visuals, etc. of the recent remakes. The remake's equivalent will likely be some approximation of that, at best. Unless there's another shift in tone/game design for RE4R that's proportionate to OG RE3 > OG RE4, then it'll be considerably different

Would be happy to be wrong! But seriously
In RE3 remake Jill shoves a rail gun into nemesis's mouth before blasting a giant hole through the wall. That's a lot more OTT than most of 4's content. And even it's final boss which is the standard rocket launch kill.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i do expect for them to cut a lot of crap, specially from the second disc. Honestly, was expecting a remake of CV before 4

May 18, 2018
I don't really see them giving RE4 Remake a low budget compared to RE3 Remake because they actual care about it.
But I'll say it's 90 -75 the same as the original.

QuantumDream

Oct 31, 2017
I think Capcom will keep 80% of RE4 intact with slight cuts/alterations, It will be a more faithful REmake then the botched "REimagination" REmake 3 got. I'm personally still upset with how poorly Capcom treated RE3's REmake, and for that reason I might end up waiting for bargain bin discounts with the next few entries.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying that RE3R's "bitch can't even swim," and final battle seem like signs of a notable tonal shift compared to RE2R, moreso than any shift between the two originals. The more linear, action-focused approach of 3 suggests them laying groundwork for RE4.

What about the helicopter sequence and oven man?
The oven man can be put in the castle. As for the helicopter sequence, I can see it being harder to insert in the castle setting.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Those moments are memorable, but imo they're standing on the shoulders of the game's polished and constantly delightful meat and potatoes. Nearly every room in RE4 offers something memorable. Cutting parts like *clears throat* the gondola fight, the catapult room, the water hall, the giant turret room, the sewers, the hedge maze, the cage match, the lava room, DOUBLE EL GIGANTES, the mine cart, the Donkey Kong tower, the tower elevator, the crane game, the wrecking ball room, the bulldozer room, etc. would harm the game significantly for me. There isn't another shooter out there where I can vividly recall so many encounters. "Room after room of cult guys" really undersells what the game is doing on an encounter design level. It's constantly switching things up to a level that most games don't even come close to.

I feel similarly about Uncharted 2, where almost each encounter has some defining element or spin on the core gameplay to make it stand out from what came before

If RE4R ends up being considerably different, here's hoping it still captures that diverse encounter design.

They should just pay the person who has been modding the game with higher resolution assets & release the mod as an official remake.

Genuinely hope that happens, because the only way that game gets such comprehensive new textures is from some wildly devoted fan project.

The oven man can be put in the castle. As for the helicopter sequence, I can see it being harder to insert in the castle setting.

I'm sure all those gameplay sequences can be brought over into the Castle setting, but a lot fo that stuff would take considerable reimagining, like the final boss arena, that flatbed truck sequence, or the enemies with miniguns

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all those gameplay sequences can be brought over into the Castle setting, but a lot fo that stuff would take considerable reimagining, like the final boss arena, that flatbed truck sequence, or the enemies with miniguns
Maybe they could make the village a little bigger. Instead of a farm that has about four or five houses, maybe the village could look like hundreds of people could live in it? There could be a street where the truck sequence could occur.

Or another idea: the truck and helicopter sequence are merged into a bigger singular set piece. Instead of the shitty jetski sequence at the game's ending, we could have Leon riding the truck and shooting people, while Ashley drives and Mike pilots the chopper. Murder and explosions are aplenty while the trio is trying to escape. Mike survives!

I dunno lol. I'm sure that some talented game designers can figure it out.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think they've probably learned a lesson from Resident Evil 3. I expect it to be a near copy.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't get through re2 and 3 without heavy cuts, and re4 is waaaaay longer. Re7 had huge issues with enemy assets as well.

I am expecting the game to be butchered.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I honestly don't see why we would expect them to cut anything? If anything I see them adding extra stuff. RE4 is not a game anyone wants to see cuts in

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I replayed the game recently on switch and it still holds up incredibly well. No need to cut anything they can just add some new location and modern controls and the game will still be a 10.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
They might cut out some sections/sequences that I dont think fits the style they're going for now, I'll miss you minecart, but i think they'll also expand or add some new sections.

The RE3 hatchet job was pretty bad, but i doubt they pull the same shit with 4.