• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017

Super Mario Sunshine has some great qualities, namely the controls, setting, atmosphere, soundtrack, and visuals (for an early GameCube game). However, the game clearly has some major issues which is why it is generally considered to be the worst 3D Mario game.

With the rumor that Super Mario Sunshine is getting a remaster later this year (along with the other 3D Mario games), what would you like to see changed or added? Would you prefer if they left the game as-is?

Obvious improvements include 1080p widescreen, 60 fps, and a better camera.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
get rid of the galaxy games, they really just arent up to snuff and ruin the overall package

:)

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Streamlining blue coins would do a whole lot for me.

Meaning, as the post below mentioned, just being able to keep up with what you've collected so far.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Add blue coin totals to the level select screen so you can actually see where the missing ones are available.

Redo the physics in the pachinko machine and lily boat ride.

Make the lily boat ride not such a pain in the ass to actually reach with the boats + Yoshi. Getting a game over there is infuriating.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This game is too flawed to be fixable in my opinion. The last levels are really bad design.

They should just make it HD and create a map Or some help to get the blue coins.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Add blue coin totals to the level select screen so you can actually see where the missing ones are available.

Redo the physics in the pachinko machine and lily boat ride.

Make the lily boat ride not such a pain in the ass to actually reach with the boats + Yoshi. Getting a game over there is infuriating.
I came here to post these exact points.

The blue coins should be the main focus though; as while there's a lot of jank to be fixed with individual shines, the blue coins are a problem for the entire game. They should really add a sub-menu for them that displays how many you've found in each stage (and if they want to go further; which missions each particular coin can be found in).

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Add a blue coin counter on the episode select screen for each individual episode. Add an extra raccoon NPC in the house where you trade blue coins for shines who gives you hints on where to find blue coins.

Make the stupid watermelons slightly less fragile.

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
For me it would only need to add some qol regarding blue coins, fix the wonky camera, and the shitty physics in the pachinko and the underwater sections. I could deal again with the melon rolling bullshittery and the yoshi stuff.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
It is a great game already but if it were up to me i would make these changes.

1. Add the three cut worlds and up the shine count to about 150.
2. Add more camera options. I think the camera is fine as is but many complain about it.
3. Remove the seventh shine Shadow Mario requirement in each world so that the game is less restrictive in its structure and generally rework those mission.
4. Add more bosses instead of repeating the Giant Blooper fight three times.
5. 60FPS. Sunshine was supposed to be 60 originally but got downgraded.
6. Orchestrated soundtrack.
7. Add a better hint system for the Blue coins and give the blue coins some other functionality like them unlocking new levels instead of just giving you a shine outright.

I do not think Sunshine was ever this unsalvageable mess like some make it out to be or anywhere near a bad game. (Heck there are FAR worse 3D platformers and Nintendo games out there) Sunshine just needed some extra time in the oven. A remaster could really put it on par with Odyssey and 64 as the GOAT .

Keep the controls and everything else the game does well as is.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
For the most part, the "required" portion of the game works relatively well. The first seven missions in each level are fine. It's when you go beyond those that you get broken shit like the watermelon level or sand bird.

I think if they do end up making changes, they'll have to alter the physics a bit for some levels. Pachinko, Sandbird, and watermelon levels should feel better to play.

As others have said, streamline the blue coins. Maybe allow us to buy a minimap with gold coins or Sprites that shows where they are, or at least what "version" of the level you need to play to find them.

It's unlikely, but I'd like a better reward for collecting all the sprites. Even if it's an unlockable playable Luigi or a new platforming level.

I adore Mario Sunshine even if as is, it's the worst 3D Mario game. It's the most unique and probably the most ambitious, so if they can fix it up a bit like they did with Wind Waker, I think the game can finally be great

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It is a great game already but if it were up to me i would make these changes.

1. Add the three cut worlds and up the shine count to about 150.
2. Add more camera options. I think the camera is fine as is but many complain about it.
3. Remove the seventh shine Shadow Mario requirement in each world so that the game is less restrictive in its structure and generally rework those mission.
4. Add more bosses instead of repeating the Giant Blooper fight three times.
5. 60FPS. Sunshine was supposed to be 60 originally but got downgraded.
6. Orchestrated soundtrack.
7. Add a better hint system for the Blue coins and give the blue coins some other functionality like them unlocking new levels instead of just giving you a shine outright.

I do not think Sunshine was ever this unsalvageable mess like some make it out to be or anywhere near a bad game. (Heck there are FAR worse 3D platformers and Nintendo games out there) Sunshine just needed some extra time in the oven. A remaster could really put it on par with Odyssey and 64 as the GOAT .

Keep the controls and everything else the game does well as is.
I'm curious what the three cut world's are. And yes to everything else you said, especially the seventh Shadow Mario requirement, since that made the structure of the game feel really weird.

Also, fix the Chuckster section. Maybe have an aiming reticule you can control, for a bit, before they throw you.

Apr 21, 2018
Just get rid of the damn Pachinko machine there is no fixing it

A blue coin checklist system

60fps, widescreen, better textures and some modern shaders

Remove two nozzle restriction. Let us switch between all four

The last two worlds and the boss battle, eek, not sure how to make those better. I'm sure there are subtle QOL changes that can improve them

Add multiplayer co-op. Just allow someone else to run around the world at the same time as you, perhaps go to different worlds, collect stars/shines together. I think this should be in SM64 too, but it clearly will not work in Galaxy 1/2

Orchestrated music?

New costumes and unlockables. Maybe an unlockable feature to do all of the hidden no-fludd challenges from a menu with a time challenge or something

Nov 14, 2017
Either add some kind of map for you to be able to see blue coins or add an audio or visual cue play when a blue coin is near by (I'm reminded of Yooka-Laylee having an equip that made quills whistle at you when you were near)

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Unless they literally redesign levels (which would put it on the realm of reimagining) I dont think it can truly be fixed. Level design is too fundamental of a problem.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tweak the physics, redo the camera system, rethink the entirety of the blue coin system, and actually finish the last third or so of the game.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I'm curious what the three cut world's are. And yes to everything else you said, especially the seventh Shadow Mario requirement, since that made the structure of the game feel really weird.

Also, fix the Chuckster section. Maybe have an aiming reticule you can control, for a bit, before they throw you.

We do not know what those levels were but it is pretty obvious that a few were cut. Mario 64 had 15 worlds and Sunshine only has 7. Now yes it is true that the levels in Sunshine are much larger and have more going on than the ones in Mario 64 but this is one aspect the game could easily expand.

Remove two nozzle restriction. Let us switch between all four

People keep saying that this should be a option but i disagree. It would really break the game.

Sunshine has a very different "power up" system from most Mario games. In 64 they were all timed and that made them feel pretty restrictive and in the classic 2D Mario games you would lose the power up if you got hit. In Sunshine they were not really power ups, but more like alternative movement options. You had to make tradeoffs between the rocket,hower, turbo and Yoshi. Each had advantages and disadvantages but they weren't timed and you don't lose them once you got hit. They were there to give you more options, as they were rarely required. It did go well with the sandbox nature of the game and it was something new for a Mario game.

Giving you access to all of them at the same time would really wreck the level design. It sounds neat on paper but in practice it would likely kill the game.

Apr 21, 2018
We do not know what those levels were but it is pretty obvious that a few were cut. Mario 64 had 15 worlds and Sunshine only has 7. Now yes it is true that the levels in Sunshine are much larger and have more going on than the ones in Mario 64 but this is one aspect the game could easily expand.

People keep saying that this should be a option but i disagree. It would really break the game.

Sunshine has a very different "power up" system from most Mario games. In 64 they were all timed and that made them feel pretty restrictive and in the classic 2D Mario games you would lose the power up if you got hit. In Sunshine they were not really power ups, but more like alternative movement options. You had to make tradeoffs between the rocket,hower, turbo and Yoshi. Each had advantages and disadvantages but they weren't timed and you don't lose them once you got hit. They were there to give you more options, as they were rarely required. It did go well with the sandbox nature of the game and it was something new for a Mario game.

Giving you access to all of them at the same time would really wreck the level design. It sounds neat on paper but in practice it would likely kill the game.

Ok, you're not wrong, but maybe streamline it a bit more. Have more areas to switch. And in the hub, allow all four once unlocked.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Tweak the physics, redo the camera system, rethink the entirety of the blue coin system, and actually finish the last third or so of the game.
I agree with this post with the exception of the physics. For the main movement of Mario I thought the physics were just fine (based on my memory of playing this game like 20 years ago).

Honestly its a fun game but it doesn't have that Nintendo quality I expect, especially from a Mario game.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with this post with the exception of the physics. For the main movement of Mario I thought the physics were just fine (based on my memory of playing this game like 20 years ago).

Honestly its a fun game but it doesn't have that Nintendo quality I expect, especially from a Mario game.
If you step on anything remotely sloped, Mario fucking slips, stutters the same "o-o-o-oohh" sound bite, and gets sent flyyying off the level. The core is definitely fine, but there are aggressively annoying cases that I'm surprised they let through.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you step on anything remotely sloped, Mario fucking slips, stutters the same "o-o-o-oohh" sound bite, and gets sent flyyying off the level. The core is definitely fine, but there are aggressively annoying cases that I'm surprised they let through.
I never had any inclination to reply this game so I don't really remember it enough to agree or disagree with you.

Definitely had some fun moments too, but also some janky as fuck things that felt really out of place in a Mario game.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Essentially it's going to need a large control overhaul, which I think can be done, but will take some big balancing. A blue coin checklist of some kind, maybe not having it shut down gameplay as soon as you find them. Also whatever causes that drifting camera needs to go.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
they'll have to do lots because it is the worst mainline 3D mario game, it doesn't even have pleasant aesthetics to hide its very obvious shortcomings behind like Wind Waker did.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A more exciting last level since it was short and linear and might not be too costly to redesign. But mostly small changes like you don't get kicked out of a level and the harbour level has some checkpoints like ropes you can knock down.

But that's just how I remember it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
they'll have to do lots because it is the worst mainline 3D mario game, it doesn't even have pleasant aesthetics to hide its very obvious shortcomings behind like Wind Waker did.
I agree that its the worst 3D Mario game, but on the other hand I think I would rather replay this over Mario64. 64 seems pretty simple at this point (haven't played it since the DS release so maybe I am totally wrong).

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
If they're just remastering it in a collection I'm not expecting anything but HD honestly.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is the only Mario platformers I didn't do, and when I read all of your comments I wander if I will do it. Mario is special for me.
Is it that bad? In a world where 3D platformers are basically non existent, would you recommended it.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
This is the only Mario platformers I didn't do, and when I read all of your comments I wander if I will do it. Mario is special for me.
Is it that bad? In a world where 3D platformers are basically non existent, would you recommended it.

Yes i would recommend it. Just adjust your expectations, it is closest to Mario 64 in it's design and it was the next mainline Mario game after 64, so some things feel very 2002 about it. There are a ton of great things about it, like the excellent controls and the world's themselves are really fun to explore and have some great atmosphere. It is just that the game was rushed and has some untapped potential. There are some missions that are bad but most of the bad ones are optional thankfully. My advice would be to go through the game normally and not trying to 100% it.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
make it take place in a castle. maybe princess peach invited him over. some paintings he can jump through, go to different worlds. Maybe the final bowser fight can take place in a big arena and not a bathtub.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I agree that its the worst 3D Mario game, but on the other hand I think I would rather replay this over Mario64. 64 seems pretty simple at this point (haven't played it since the DS release so maybe I am totally wrong).

the level design of some of the stars can be pretty simple now but the movement of M64 is still probably the best of the 3D mario titles. i'd say the thematic variety of stages alone puts it way above Sunshine.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Add the three cut worlds and up the shine count to about 150.
That'd be a pretty huge change, definitely beyond the scope we should probably expect for this remaster.

Besides, we know about more than three cut stages (five, to be precise): Hotel Lacrima, Eruyt Rock, Warship Island, Fire Shrine and Lighthouse Island (though the latter seems to have been cut earlier than the rest)

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The world and challenge is designed around where you can refill Fludd, if it was a whole remake or sequel, maybe you could make such drastic changes to that mechanic.

If they can do a Funky Kong easy mode in Donkey Kong TF, they can add a mode where FLUDD has unlimited water. Sunshine would become a much more enjoyable game for me.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Blue coins being tracked properly and a hint system for them. In terms of changes that will not happen I would like a final level thats more about platforming and not moving a boat through lava. Its not and has never been a bad game. It doesn't really need heavy changes.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I honestly have no idea. Reworking certain aspects will take resources away from making new Mario titles so I rather them not do that.

Only like 30% of the game is worth salvaging honestly, and even that is a high estimate. I think a simple port is the most sensible option, but the Nintendo Switch lacking proper triggers makes that a problem too.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
the level design of some of the stars can be pretty simple now but the movement of M64 is still probably the best of the 3D mario titles. i'd say the thematic variety of stages alone puts it way above Sunshine.

The themes in Mario 64 are pretty basic. grass,dessert, fire, two ice and two water stages that are nearly identical. Tick Tock clock was pretty unique.

Sunshine for only using one theme a tropical ressort went to great lengths to make each of the areas feel unique and all of them have some mechanics that the others don't. (I don't think any of them share the same assets besides NPC's)

I think Odyssey and Sunshine both beath Mario 64 in controls and movement options. Although the long jump in 64 was really satisfying to use..

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Nintendo already took another shot at making a vacation-themed 3D Mario game but this time it was actually good

Sunshine is obsolete now in a post-Odyssey world.