• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How confident are you that the Switch's successor will be backwards compatible with Switch games?

• I don't think It will be backwards compatible at all

Votes: 256 13.9%
  • I think digital Switch games will carry over, but carts won't work on the successor to Switch

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • I think the Switch carts and digital games will work on the Switch's successor

Votes: 945 51.4%
  • It's Nintendo and Nintendo are wild so I have no idea

Votes: 521 28.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Contrary to most people on this forum's belief, Nintendo has always allowed backwards compatibility when possible (unlike some other companies) so I would be shocked if their next console is a hybrid and does not allow compatibility with Switch games. The only reason the Switch doesn't play Wii U games is because it doesn't have a disc drive or second screen.
And the wii u disc is basically the same size as the tablet itself.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'd like to think it would, but this is Nintendo, and Nintendo does Nintendo-y things all of the time.

I'd give it a 30% chance.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are people expecting a full on Switch 2? Because "Switch Pro" to me means by definition "must be compatible with all Switch games", a la the PS4 pro.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think it would, but this is Nintendo, and Nintendo does Nintendo-y things all of the time.

I'd give it a 30% chance.
It's Nintendo and Nintendo supports BC when possible, only when there is a hardware hurdle do they not do BC.
The Nvidia partnership is going to keep going, so there is no reason to think BC is unlikely.
Are people expecting a full on Switch 2? Because "Switch Pro" to me means by definition "must be compatible with all Switch games", a la the PS4 pro.
Switch Pro wouldn't be a successor, it'd be a refresh like the DSi. This discussion is about the actual successor. Unless you are insinuating that Nintendo is never going to make a successor... which would make no sense.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Contrary to most people on this forum's belief, Nintendo has always allowed backwards compatibility when possible (unlike some other companies) so I would be shocked if their next console is a hybrid and does not allow compatibility with Switch games. The only reason the Switch doesn't play Wii U games is because it doesn't have a disc drive or second screen.

GameCube -> Wii -> WiiU used the same architecture too so it was easy to do backwards compatibility, each console is pretty much just a more powerful version of the previous one. WiiU doesn't have bc because they probably didn't want to put GC controller ports and memory card slots on the thing.

Kinda the same for the GB->GBC->GBA->DS->3DS.

The Switch is a completely different architecture from both so it's not that simple, but I don't think they'll change it for the next system, so it should have bc.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nintendo tries to support BC if they can, in fact the DS had 2 card slots to allow GBA games.

So unless they do something different, it will be retrocompatible.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's Nintendo and Nintendo supports BC when possible, only when there is a hardware hurdle do they not do BC.
The Nvidia partnership is going to keep going, so there is no reason to think BC is unlikely.

Switch Pro wouldn't be a successor, it'd be a refresh like the DSi. This discussion is about the actual successor. Unless you are insinuating that Nintendo is never going to make a successor... which would make no sense.
Fair enough, people just keep mentioning the "Pro" in posts, so I was confused.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't think it will have backwards compatibility. They will want to sell the same games again as is their way now.
The fact that Nintendo has been all about having the most games on the platform tells me they won't start anew, or they will have to build the software base again. Wii U burned them. All their games sell like hotcakes without the need for rereleases and will keep selling. Mario Kart is just as evergreen as GTAV.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This makes no sense as the Nintendo-y thing is BC. It's like y'all are intentionally ignoring history just because

What was the Switch backwards-compatible with?

I understand Nintendo has a history with BC, especially with its handheld consoles, but if there's one thing I've learned as a Nintendo fan, it's that nothing's a sure thing with that company.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
If you are asking about the Switch pro, it's safe to assume that will be compatible with Switch games.

If you are asking about what comes after that, nobody knows.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
100% unless they randomly change the storage media (=back to discs or casette tapes or UMD or banana peels) or throw out the entire chipset architecture.

So far: if the physical media and hardware was compatible, you had 100% backwards compatibility guaranteed.
GC -> Wii = 100%
Wii -> Wii U = 100% physical and digital (even for GC titles if you did softmodding since the disc drive couldn't read the small GC discs)
GB -> GBC -> GBA = 100%
GBA -> DS = 100%
DS -> DSi-> 3DS = 99% (RIP guitar hero with your extra dongle thing) physical and digital

Switch broke the compatibility by forsaking discs and just being a wholly different thing otherwise, in case you wanna come in "so why didn't it do 3DS cards" now.

This should be in the first post to give context.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Nintendo has been all about having the most games on the platform tells me they won't start anew, or they will have to build the software base again. Wii U burned them. All their games sell like hotcakes without the need for rereleases and will keep selling. Mario Kart is just as evergreen as GTAV.
Yup, and if they want to rerelease a game all they have to do is make a remaster.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What could the Switch be backwards-compatible with?

Nothing. The answer is nothing. It's an entirely new platform. It doesn't run Wii U disks. It has an entirely new OS. It has an entirely new architecture. It has an entirely new cart system. It dropped stylus support - the screen is nothing like DS or Wii U.

The Wii U was a flop because it had no games and wasn't understood as a sequel to Wii, even if Nintendo gave it all to make it work with their past ecosystem. Wii basically integrated with the GC. DS could have dropped support for the GBA and yet it didn't.

Nintendo literally became Valve to have stuff to be played on and get credit from devs, and had to port everything again, not to force people to buy again - buy what? disks? - but because they had to have a lineup for people (that sells a shit ton, guess people do love to buy Mario Kart again and again /s) and AAA is expensive even if from Nintendo.

What could have they done differently? An emulator for a Wii U on a portable system that is barely more powerful? Is that a joke?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

I understand Nintendo has a history with BC, especially with its handheld consoles, but if there's one thing I've learned as a Nintendo fan, it's that nothing's a sure thing with that company.
What was Switch supposed to be backwards compatible with? It doesn't have a blu ray drive, it doesn't have 2 screens, the hardware is an entirely different architecture from their previous stuff and is provided by a different company (Nvidia).

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing is a sure thing with any company. None of the hardware manufacturers have offered full BC because sometimes they can't do it. If you think Nintendo's history suggests a 30 percent chance at BC here then you don't know their history.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Nintendo are officially openly testing artificial scarcity with M3DAS so I'm fully banking on them testing a new console with 0 back compat if only to force users to rebuy ports and rereleases.

Banking on it

EDIT: Forgot the Switch wasn't backwards compatible lol galaxy brain (but definitely see it as a continuing trend, and I'm still banking on it)

Last edited:

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Have people been paying no attention to Nintendo's console history.

Where backward's compatibility is possible, it's been there. Nearly every time except for the handful of moments when Nintendo completely went in a different direction like moving from CDs to carts.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Nintendo are officially openly testing artificial scarcity with M3DAS so I'm fully banking on them testing a new console with 0 back compat if only to force users to rebuy ports and rereleases.

Banking on it
You mean the same company that released mini versions for a limited time that sold like hotcakes of Snes and Nes are doing a limited run of something?

Omg, I couldn't have ever seen that coming.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Read above, Sherlock. Btw. If you had a Wii U, if it ain't broken, it still plays the games. I didn't buy again much of what I had on there.
You're insulting me for agreeing with you???wtf

Banking on it
This has literally been their standard practice for anniversary collections for ages... They aren't testing shit.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
The DSi and New 3DS ran older titles, so I see no reason the inevitable Switch revision will be backwards compatible. I'm a little less certain about optimizations to older first party titles, though I feel it isn't unlikely

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess we agree? I am very confused if you're saying that Nintendo will just rerelease everything again on Switch 2 lol.
I said if they want to rerelease a game they can just remaster it, as in if they want to sell more copies than what BC will give them. I'm saying that that BC wouldn't suddenly make them unable to release new versions of old games, not that they will rerelease everything.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
What could the Switch be backwards-compatible with?

Nothing. The answer is nothing. It's an entirely new platform. It doesn't run Wii U disks. It has an entirely new OS. It has an entirely new architecture. It has an entirely new cart system. It dropped stylus support - the screen is nothing like DS or Wii U.

The Wii U was a flop because it had no games and wasn't understood as a sequel to Wii, even if Nintendo gave it all to make it work with their past ecosystem. Wii basically integrated with the GC. DS could have dropped support for the GBA and yet it didn't.

Nintendo literally became Valve to have stuff to be played on and get credit from devs, and had to port everything again, not to force people to buy again - buy what? disks? - but because they had to have a lineup for people (that sells a shit ton, guess people do love to buy Mario Kart again and again /s) and AAA is expensive even if from Nintendo.

What could have they done differently? An emulator for a Wii U on a portable system that is barely more powerful? Is that a joke?

Read above, Sherlock. Btw. If you had a Wii U, if it ain't broken, it still plays the games. I didn't buy again much of what I had on there.
What was Switch supposed to be backwards compatible with? It doesn't have a blu ray drive, it doesn't have 2 screens, the hardware is an entirely different architecture from their previous stuff and is provided by a different company (Nvidia).
Nothing is a sure thing with any company. None of the hardware manufacturers have offered full BC because sometimes they can't do it. If you think Nintendo's history suggests a 30 percent chance at BC here then you don't know their history.

You all bring up good points, and I'll be extremely happy to see my extensive Switch library play on their new machine, but I just can't shake this feeling that the new, more powerful console could potentially mess that up somehow.

Will they stick with carts? What will happen with games that are in the 50gb range or higher? How expensive will these carts be if that's the case? I think Nintendo is in a bit of a bind if they want to continue using small carts for their games, especially when it comes to big third party stuff.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Not sure if serious or not.
You mean the same company that released mini versions for a limited time that sold like hotcakes of Snes and Nes are doing a limited run of something?

Omg, I couldn't have ever seen that coming.
You're insulting me for agreeing with you???wtf

This has literally been their standard practice for anniversary collections for ages... They aren't testing shit.

Nintendo "never artificially limit their stock" is a large part of the zeitgeist even though it's so blatantly obvious that they do, and now they're just coming out and proving it without a shadow of a doubt with M3DAS.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo are egregiously ungenerous and will only get worse as the market normalises the swathes of gross sales tactics becoming popular over the years.

Jun 2, 2019

I'm sorry but you suck at understanding how Nintendo works.

They are not as much as a wildcard as you seem to think, Switch isn't BC not because some random whim, but because the change of architecture and form factor.

Same goes with the Super Mario collection, people are swearing that they didn't expect this at all but this isn't the first time this happens, we already saw something similar on Gamecube with the Zelda Collectors disc and its limited availability through the Club Nintendo and some random console bundle.

"Lol Nintendo" is a meme that reeks of ignorance.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You all bring up good points, and I'll be extremely happy to see my extensive Switch library play on their new machine, but I just can't shake this feeling that the new, more powerful console could potentially mess that up somehow.

Will they stick with carts? What will happen with games that are in the 50gb range or higher? How expensive will these carts be if that's the case? I think Nintendo is in a bit of a bind if they want to continue using small carts for their games, especially when it comes to big third party stuff.
Well some games are shipping on 32gig carts now. The cost for 64 gig carts will likely be lower than that in 3-4 years. I think they'll stick with this format, especially since the other two now have reduced storage space due to SSD. Games sizes shouldn't get too out of hand.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Nintendo "never artificially limit their stock" is a large part of the zeitgeist even though it's so blatantly obvious that they do, and now they're just coming out and proving it without a shadow of a doubt with M3DAS.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo are egregiously ungenerous and will only get worse as the market normalises the swathes of gross sales tactics becoming popular over the years.

Nintendo artificially limiting stock has nothing to do with backwards compatibility...?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm sorry but you suck at understanding how Nintendo works.

They are not as much as a wildcard as you seem to think, Switch isn't BC not because some random whim, but because the change of architecture and form factor.

Same goes with the Super Mario collection, people are swearing that they didn't expect this at all but this isn't the first time this happens, we already saw something similar on Gamecube with the Zelda Collectors disc and its limited availability through the Club Nintendo and some random console bundle.

"Lol Nintendo" is a meme that reeks of ignorance.

I never claimed to be a Nintendo pro. Just sharing my thoughts on a message board.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No chance. Especially not now they've had a taste of how easily they can repackage the previous gen's games as full price releases again with minimal work put in and still sell millions.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Why would they stop using cards? They'll just do updated cards that are faster and can hold more like DS>3DS.

Mario All Stars and the Kirby Anniversary Collection on Wii were limited time products, was that them testing "false scarsity" to not do BC on Wii U? No, it wasn't.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No chance. Especially not now they've had a taste of how easily they can repackage the previous gen's games as full price releases again with minimal work put in and still sell millions.

You should probably read this thread and see why this argument has been thoroughly debunked.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Nintendo artificially limiting stock has nothing to do with backwards compatibility...?
Nintendo being Nintendo and making decisions that most people would consider absolutely incompetently unthinkable is the link between the two.

Will Nintendo let you buy M3DAS after March 2021? Will Nintendo let you play previous games on their new console in 202X? At this point it's just safer to assume the worst 🤷
Mario All Stars and the Kirby Anniversary Collection on Wii were limited time products, was that them testing "false scarcity" to not do BC on Wii U? No, it wasn't.
Maybe so, but there's a lot of precedent set when they're very openly limiting the sale of their most prominent IP and some of its strongest legacy titles during a time where more eyes are on them now than over the last 10 years

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Don't expect anything from a new hardware, because Nintendo always suprises. They could do Switch 2 or something completely new. Having said that I want a Switch 2 and think Switch is the best idea Nintendo had for hardware. Sorry, off topic

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo being Nintendo and making decisions that most people would consider absolutely incompetently unthinkable is the link between the two.

Will Nintendo let you buy M3DAS after March 2021? Will Nintendo let you play previous games on their new console in 202X? At this point it's just safer to assume the worst 🤷

Maybe so, but there's a lot of precedent set when they're very openly limiting the sale of their most prominent IP and some of its strongest legacy titles during a time where more eyes are on them now than over the last 10 years
The Wii was a massive success and they still did limited time availability for anniversary collections. It's just what they do for anniversary collections, it has nothing to do with them not doing BC.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to charge upgrade fees or some shit lol.

In general though I would expect backwards compatibility, with the caveat that they may not have system wide performance boosts and the like.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The Wii was a massive success and they still did limited time availability for anniversary collections. It's just what they do for anniversary collections, it has nothing to do with them not doing BC.
I would personally argue that the core demographic of the Wii was vastly different to that of the Switch, which still makes this feel a lot worse than their previous anniversary releases.

The Switch (I'm admittedly assuming) has a much denser 16-30 install base than the Wii did, during a time where information propagation is at an all-time high and continuing to rise and with the product itself targeting the nostalgia of a generation who have generally been marred by the damages of destructive market practices and an unstable, predatory economy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the two scenarios don't feel quite the same to me.

I just wouldn't be surprised to find Nintendo going the route of the straight resold limited time port in place of BC or even remakes at the detriment of the customer because it's no doubt easier, and will still sell regardless

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
If it's Switch 2 or same architecture I'm certain it will.

They got a good track record of BC on earlier systems.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly? 100%

Whenever they've been able to offer backwards compatibility, they've offered it. Same as Sony and Microsoft. Unless there's some drastic change in architecture, concept, or cartridge format, it's basically guaranteed

I would personally argue that the core demographic of the Wii was vastly different to that of the Switch, which still makes this feel a lot worse than their previous anniversary releases.

The Switch (I'm admittedly assuming) has a much denser 16-30 install base than the Wii did, during a time where information propagation is at an all-time high and continuing to rise and with the product itself targeting the nostalgia of a generation who have generally been marred by the damages of destructive market practices and an unstable, predatory economy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the two scenarios don't feel quite the same to me.

I just wouldn't be surprised to find Nintendo going the route of the straight resold limited time port in place of BC or even remakes at the detriment of the customer because it's no doubt easier, and will still sell regardless
Considering how well remasters did on the PS4/XB1, for Sony's own games as well, like The Last of Us, they could've also just not bothered to offer backwards compatibility with their next systems but they did. Never mind that Nintendo didn't deliberately limit backwards compatibility from successful systems like the Wii, DS, GB/GBC, and GBA. Not to mention, the Wii U sold so badly that its games had their sales potential handicapped whereas the same doesn't apply for the Switch so there wouldn't be anywhere near the ROI with Switch ports as there are for Wii U ports

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the next thing is just a stronger, BC Switch 2, considering the success. But voted Nintendo is wild, cuz who the fuck knows

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Honestly? 100%

Whenever they've been able to offer backwards compatibility, they've offered it. Same as Sony and Microsoft. Unless there's some drastic change in architecture, concept, or cartridge format, it's basically guaranteed

Considering how well remasters did on the PS4/XB1, for Sony's own games as well, like The Last of Us, they could've also just not bothered to offer backwards compatibility with their next systems but they did. Never mind that Nintendo didn't deliberately limit backwards compatibility from successful systems like the Wii, DS, GB/GBC, and GBA. Not to mention, the Wii U sold so badly that its games had their sales potential handicapped whereas the same doesn't apply for the Switch so there wouldn't be anywhere near the ROI with Switch ports as there are for Wii U ports
I hope so, man do I hope so.

I think its increasingly obvious I'm just incredibly jaded by this industry at this point and that hoping for even the smallest hopes feels utterly daft in 2020

Oct 26, 2017
I hope so, man do I hope so.

I think its increasingly obvious I'm just incredibly jaded by this industry at this point and that hoping for even the smallest hopes feels utterly daft in 2020
lol Yeah, you definitely see jaded. I won't say nothing bad can happen, of course it can, but, with past history, we can judge that it's unlikely to lack backwards compatibility

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Nintendo supports BC more than Sony and Microsft ever did. If you join the efforts Sony and MS ever did to implement BC into their consoles it would not come close to what Nintendo does.

So, why not?