• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Insomniac is in the middle of a 3(ish?) week holiday break right now. This is the first time I've heard of such a thing in the games industry, at least in regards to the AAA studios. Unless it somehow slipped me all these years, I don't think Insomniac usually has a holiday break of this length? I'd imagine they had and took the opportunity to do so here since the holidays lined up with the end of their promised spider-man content.

What are the studio wide break trends around the industry? I read before that Ready At Dawn has a one week break during this time.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Standard for most offices is 1 week. 3 is pretty uncommon but if anyone deserves it definitely it's game dev folks

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's normal, but Insomniacs may be a combo of holidays+completing their dev cycle on Spiderman, so they rolled it all together. Ultimately a lot of offices across various industries shut down for the last week or two of the year, I'm sure it varies in the game industry too.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Regardless of whether it's "normal," it's more than deserved for any AAA dev team after shipping a game.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You mean most game devs, or most offices in general?

The most I've ever gotten is 2 days. Christmas Eve and Christmas.

I'd love to get 3 weeks paid vacation every Christmas. We routinely work 50+ hour weeks.
Well it's vacation, probably coming from their contingent of available vacation days, excluding the public holidays. It's not like they will have this four times a year.

Got 1 1/2 off myself right now. I would rather plan when to spend my free time myself, this only taking up 4 days.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of tech and gaming offices close for 1-2 weeks. Others also do 1-2 week company trips. When I was at [best not to disclose], we went all expenses paid to Hawaii as a company every spring (afaik they still do), and basically everyone was out of the office on PTO xmas-new year (combining holiday dates with PTO to make a contiguous time off period).

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yah not sure it's that common for getting an auto week off. Can choose to use PTO (and usually if there is someone covering). I get only Xmas day and New year's day.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing this is very country specific. I know very few that doesn't have at least 2 weeks around Christmas and New Year. Very different industries.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I work in entertainment/multimedia (not the games industry but a similar industry) and we all basically take 2-3 weeks off at Christmas. I don't know specifically about the games industry but I wouldn't say it's totally rare in work in general. My brother works in the building supplies trade (as far away from my industry as is possible) and also gets just over two weeks off at Christmas time.

Obviously a lot of jobs (service/retail/emergency services etc) are required to work over the Christmas period, that's obvious. But other areas it's not so important.