• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I recently read the Boss Fight Books book on Chrono Trigger and it has reminded me of my great white whale, Chrono Cross. Somehow after nearly 20 years there has still been no official release of CC in PAL regions and it's a game I know I'd love to play. It seems like a easy win so why haven't square ported it to any system in the past?

Also Xenogears

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'd say buying and playing it through an emulator or a US PS3 is legitimate. So there are definitely ways to play it in PAL regions.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Even a toaster can run PS1 emulators these days and ripping PS1 games is about the easiest thing to do. It's not all that big of a hassle to play Chrono Cross these days, as an European. And that's even if you want to do things strictly legally.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I understand that the source code is lost but I feel like at this point its a lock that we're getting Chrono Cross / Trigger in one way or another for PS4 / Switch etc, I say it without being a fan of the series but I'd love to play them.

Squares treatment for their classic games and the fact that they're rereleasing them with or without the source code in a nostalgy-filled industry. FFVII, FFVIIR, FFVIII, every other FF Remaster (IX, XII, etc), the KH titles, the fact that Square said that they are looking at ways to bring all of their old games at some point - because they want everything to be available to everyone.

I'll probably get shit for this, but for me I see the Chrono games as Squares Dino Crisis, its a game series that has been dorment for a long ass time, people really want either a new title, remake or to be able to atleast play them on current gen, and both have a fanbase that somehow grows more vocal over time. (Im guessing since capcoms is pretty satisfied where RE, MH and DMC among others, and perhaps because Square fans are either A. Tired of current square, B. Satisfied but miss Chrono because they're great games)

Anyway, Im holding out for a re-release, would love to play them.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buy a US/PAL copy, rip it with imgburn or any disc image creator out there, play it on basically any computer via epsxe, profit!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Reading comprehension is a helluva thing.

You're right OP. Those were truly the dark days of PAL gaming

Mar 30, 2019
Wow, completely forgot about Threads of Fate. The number of different titles really was interesting and varied. Hopefully they can make a return.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
European gamers nowadays don't know how good they have it. I grew up playing almost all games with fat black borders and 20% less speed than the original games :(

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
European gamers nowadays don't know how good they have it. I grew up playing almost all games with fat black borders and 20% less speed than the original games :(

And that's when we were lucky enough to get them. I hated the dark times of "Europeans aren't interested in RPGs, so we won't release any there at all. Oh alright, maaaybe Mystic Quest"

Oct 31, 2017
Alright. Yeah, I guess that works.

I never thought about what you wrote because that would be way more expensive to get a US PS3 and a retail copy.

I bought the PSN version of CC on sale for like $2 years ago! :P

You're certainly not alone around here. I still remember how bad FFX and DMC were to this day.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'd say buying and playing it through an emulator or a US PS3 is legitimate. So there are definitely ways to play it in PAL regions.

You don't need a US PS3 though, any PS3 would work.

Good to know! I suppose physical discs would still be region locked, though, since PSX physical discs combine region locking with copy protection in the same mechanism. And the PSN version is not sold on the EU PSN store, so you'd need to set up a fake US account and fund it without exposing your non-US address (I believe prepaid PSN cards work).

Oct 31, 2017
Good to know! I suppose physical discs would still be region locked, though, since PSX physical discs combine region locking with copy protection in the same mechanism. And the PSN version is not sold on the EU PSN store, so you'd need to set up a fake US account and fund it without exposing your non-US address (I believe prepaid PSN cards work).

Yeah, PSX discs are region locked.

And PSN cards do work, that's what I use :D

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I never thought about what you wrote because that would be way more expensive to get a US PS3 and a retail copy.

I bought the PSN version of CC on sale for like $2 years ago! :P

Good for you. He did say "buying and playing it through an emulator or a US PS3" which would imply we are speaking of an actual copy of the game on disc that you rip yourself or play on a US PS3. I thought you might have meant hacking your PS3 and play your ripped game on that or something, didn't remember that it had actually released on US PSN.

Oct 31, 2017
Good for you. He did say "buying and playing it through an emulator or a US PS3" which would imply we are speaking of an actual copy of the game on disc that you rip yourself or play on a US PS3.

Indeed. But this thread being about PAL regions, I had a more economical (and legitimate) way of playing this game in mind for anyone living in PAL territories lol

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old I guess, hah!

Are those cores for Retroarch or do they have respective apps/launcher?

I just can't use Retroarch, I hate how complicated it is. -_-

Xebra is pretty straightforward, Mednafen is slightly tricky initially.

Xebra is a standalone emulator available here:
Some helpful instructions here:

Mednafen is a multi-system emulator available here:
It's command line based, one of the most popular frontends is medgui reborn:

Mednafen is also the best PC Engine emulator, and one of the best Saturn emulators alongside SSF.

There's not really anyone doing proper testing, so I'm not sure how things stand right now between Xebra/Mednafen (or Xebra/SSF for that matter) for compatibility.