• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why does this stupid taking point keep coming up? Are some of you being intentionally obtuse in not understanding what Sony has already said and clarified?

They've tested 100 titles for the boosted PS5 native mode and are confident that the overwhelming majority of the PS4's library will work out of the box in its legacy modes.

Oct 29, 2017
User banned (5 days): platform wars, multiple prior infractions for platform wars
Microsoft give a shit about their legacy. Sony do not.

That's the long and short of it.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Sony probably invested billions into having the most robust backwards compatibility ever on the PS3, and then the market seemingly rewarded them for dropping it.
Just one of those bad lessons they picked up during that period.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft is the backward compatibility company. They have Windows. They make their living with backcompat.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Money. There's two strands of that though. Microsoft can afford to spend more money to get more of their catalogue as backward compatible.

The most important part however, Microsoft think they will make more money by having backwards compatibility, Sony however, had a different strategy that didn't include backwards compatibility. Which strategy worked is in the eyes of the individual consumer.

Nov 8, 2017
Why does this stupid taking point keep coming up? Are some of you being intentionally obtuse in not understanding what Sony has already said and clarified?

Because not everyone who hears or reads one headline automatically knows about all the followups. This is an extremely common phenomenon, it's not a targeted attack on Sony. Cerny's initial statements were not extremely clear, the PS Blog followed up with a "clarification" that seemed to indicate that only a small number of games would be available, and it took ~24 hours for a second clarifying statement to come out with the full, confirmed information that we have now.

It's not a talking point, many people are still genuinely under the impression that only ~100ish games will be there at launch.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Essentially because PS3 is such an unusual system with its Cell processor, therefore hard to emulate, whereas Xbox always went for standard hardware.
The Xbox 360 CPU isn't standard hardware. In fact outside of the SPE it's similar to the PS3 CPU.
What? Cerny said it himself in the PS5 presentation
Cerny meant they tested 100 games for the native PS5 mode, but the PS5 offers a PS4/Pro mode aswell. In these modes more games will work. The timing is unknown, but 4000 games should work.
So.. far easier to have BC on their hardware.
It you think it's easier to do Xbox 360 BC than PS4 you are simply wrong. What Microsoft achieved here is incredible and Sony could at least add PS1-2 BC, but they probably won't bother.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I feel like the praise is overblown. I can't play 90% of my Xbox 360 games and 99% of my OG Xbox games on my Xbox One.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 only having the top 100 PS4 games backwards compatible (at launch?) Also series X will have 1000s of backwards compatible games at launch. Trash PS2 support and no PS1 games on PS4 BTW

Step 1: open youtube on your browser
Step 2: Search for "Road to PS5"
Step 3: listen to what the lead system architect has to say
Step 4: no more misinformation spreading

Thank you.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A thing I didn't know until reading this thread: Sony's backwards compatibility mode would work on more than just 100 games. Hopefully they'll explain that properly when they do their reveal.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Microsoft actually cared about it and went after it, Sony haven't cared about it in a while. The PS5 will have it purely to stop Xbox saying it's something they have over them.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The cycle repeats, less than 24 hours and another thread about backward compatibility arises

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
I'd imagine Microsoft have a much bigger pool of talented software engineers. Plus the actual want to make backwards compatibility a core feature for the benefit of the userbase only seems to be coming from the Xbox side.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't it just down to what each company wants to focus on? Sony hasn't really put much effort into BC this whole gen (or really since early PS3) and it seems to have worked out fine for them.

I guess maybe people overestimate how important BC actually is for driving console sales and Sony has realised that?

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
They've been working on it all gen, it's only natural that their methods would be on another level than Sony's.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Because they focused on it. Instead of focusing what they should have, but it is what it is.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd genuinely like Sony to make a new studio or team called 'Legacy' where they manage BC, put resources into it and have producers that manage 2nd party teams making games with legacy PlayStation IP.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
Because it is MS which has so much experience for this kind of thing since Win95, even DOS

Aussiebattler

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
Does anyone know for example if we would have to double dip on a game like cyberpunk for ps5? I think I remember seeing something about it being available for Xbox series x for free. Sorry if this has been answered a lot.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
I think MS naturally look to the PC model, you buy a game once, you own it and can play it forever ( in theory ) . Also works with the idea of Play Anywhere . Buy a game once and play on PC, Mobile or Xbox.

They had to invest heavily to make it work from OG xbox and 360 but should be easy going forward.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Locking the thread as it is unlikely to promote good discussion on the topic of backwards compatibility. Additionally, until the consoles release, it may be premature to definitively say what the next gen consoles will look like in terms of actualized compatability.

Status
Not open for further replies.