• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever gundams got in close, all they really did was throw some hard punches and push each other. They never tried a single leg takedown or reverse German suplex.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think German Suplex's and leg sweeps are a good idea when both you and your opponent are walking nuclear bombs

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You don't have a good notion of your body if by "your body" it means a giant mecha suit you are controlling like this

VxeY51a.jpg

Also the chance of you sucking in the "footsies" is pretty big since it is hard to measure distances when they are in the kilometers

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
G Gundam says hi. Exia was pretty good in close too as it's whole gimmick was swordfighting with various sized blades.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Highly advanced bipedal robots, but what we really want is for them to do wresting moves.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
G Gundam is the easiest answer, but G-Reco has loads of it, including the German (Gundam) Suplex!

tumblr_nfrzvznC2w1s079ezo1_500.gifv

tumblr_nfrzvznC2w1s079ezo3_400.gifv

tumblr_nd3q9rxqLr1qcp4aro1_500.gif

gundam-reconguista-in-g-1008.jpg

tumblr_ng30d8UUdz1snpm91o2_500.gifv

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Outside of G-Gundam, you don't want to get close in a mobile suit fight unless you have to. I learned that the hard way in Gundam Versus.
G Gundam is the easiest answer, but G-Reco has loads of it, including German (Gundam) Suplex!

tumblr_nfrzvznC2w1s079ezo1_500.gifv

tumblr_nfrzvznC2w1s079ezo3_400.gifv

tumblr_nd3q9rxqLr1qcp4aro1_500.gif

gundam-reconguista-in-g-1008.jpg
Y'know, G-Reco wasn't on my radar but after these gifs...

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
That's like attempting close combat with a dude who is holding a gun...and has two more built into his chest. What kind of results do you expect from that?

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Outside of G-Gundam, you don't want to get close in a mobile suit fight unless you have to. I learned that the hard way in Gundam Versus.

Y'know, G-Reco wasn't on my radar but after these gifs...
It's definitely something, but when it's good, it's really good.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Considering almost every gundam under the sun has a beam saber, I'd say they have always been pretty good at close combat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Iron Blooded Orphans all about melee combat?
Yeah but just swinging swords and punching each other. The ground combat was pretty fast in that series though. The suits would skid along the ground to make it faster but in the end they're mostly just smacking and ramming into each other. It's nothing sophisticated like those G-Reco gifs and I feel like it all comes down to the controls. How do you even do all that stuff in the G-Reco gifs?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah but just swinging swords and punching each other. The ground combat was pretty fast in that series though. The suits would skid along the ground to make it faster but in the end they're mostly just smacking and ramming into each other. It's nothing sophisticated like those G-Reco gifs and I feel like it all comes down to the controls. How do you even do all that stuff in the G-Reco gifs?
That's why the G Gundam piloting system is the best and I'm surprised no later series has ripped that element off.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Giant mecha controls doesn't make a lot of sense with traditional cockpit design anyway. There's so many articulating parts to control, and not just limbs/fingers. Not to mention the extreme weights that ankle and knee joints have to bear in order to move this giant thing. G gundam's cockpit is pretty advanced that I'm not even gonna question how fantastical it is, or every outrageous thing in that show.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Most of the time they get close to each other, they kill each other with melee weapons, which is arguably more effective than wrestling moves.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Two episodes into the original series, the named antagonist character realizes his weapons are ineffective and has the idea of killing/disabling the protagonist by just kicking his cockpit repeatedly (since the pilot inside the impenetrable cockpit is still squishy and vulnerable to shock)

The very first Gundam had a sword, a spear, and a huge fuckoff ball and chain

I think they got it