• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Look at how amazing and dynamic these scenes are, the art style and how the characters flow

It's reminscent of some studio trigger or FLCL style of animation but...with ninja turtles

The anime inspiration is plain to see...

Just look at Donnie....

b0576793cf82baeeeb913a22838899efc5dc71d7.gifv

acfdfcfd6cf1e3d1d087d25cc3a224eccbcbcbba.gifv

Why does this show look so good? I've never even heard of it.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to shun it after seeing the character designs but my brother made me watch the first episode and I thought the animation was surprisingly great.

May 30, 2018
apparently Matt Mahaffey of sElf does the music for this show and that already had me considering watching. this looks rad

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the TMNT is like Pokemon Sun & Moon where people love to go on about how "fluid" and "expressive" the animation is like that somehow makes up for the fact the core artstyle is complete trash.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
It's a shame the actual episodes stink though, I tried my best to stick with it but it isn't for me this go-round.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It's a shame the actual episodes stink though, I tried my best to stick with it but it isn't for me this go-round.

This was my problem with the show as well. It looks great in clips but the full product, especially the writing, just isn't hitting as hard as it should.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Art style is all over the place but the animation is really well done for sure

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Because based on what (admittedly little) I've seen, the writing is complete shit.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
I'm happy a new generation of kids have a tmnt to calm their own.

The animation really is terrific.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
This was my problem with the show as well. It looks great in clips but the full product, especially the writing, just isn't hitting as hard as it should.
Right? 2012 TMNT is my personal favourite iteration and coming off that show, the first 10 episodes of Rise of the TMNT didn't cut it for me. Don't look at the official channels, the comments are just so negative and sad.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That animation is spetacular. Someone who has watched it, how is the story? It seems the target market is kids.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
caught a few episodes of this while at a hotel

the writing was p good and the animation was slick

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We tried but the "muh calarts style" people that don't know much of anything about design or animation won

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
That animation is spetacular. Someone who has watched it, how is the story? It seems the target market is kids.

When the story wants to be serious (like the last few episodes) it's solid. I hated how Splinter was during the beginning of the series but now that he has some backstory it's gotten better.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Hate all of the designs, hate the entire vision of this iteration of the TMNT mythos, and REALLY hate what they did to Splinter... but yes, it does have nice looking animation and creative action sequences.

It appears that the show is not getting renewed once the current season ends because they moved the show to Nicktoons, and people have been saying that's what happens to their discontinued shows. Perfectly fine by me, I'm ready to see what they do next with the franchise because for me, Rise was a dud.

I don't think it's just the aging TMNT fan in me that feels that way either. TMNT has always been a brand tightly connected with its toys and merchandising. Rise has barely had any toys on shelves after the launch, with tons of announced toys never actually getting released. So something is definitely not floating.

If they had coupled the crazy action and fluid looking frenetic animation with designs and story that felt more true to what TMNT is... I think they could have had a much bigger hit. But they went forward with too many bad ideas.

TMNT 2012 (the CGI show) for life.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Because you don't follow my posts on TMNT threads, OP =P

Yeah the animation is glorious

That being said, 2012 is still king. I understand the designs, but raph as the big leader is just wrong xD

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really unfortunate. That show was (for me) the closest we got into a perfect balance between the silliness of the cartoons and the seriousness of the comics.
Yeah that show was an absolute treasure. Best Turtles for me by a fairly wide margin. But man I'm so happy that they can do wild stuff with that franchise, take it in so many awesome directions. I highly recommend watching the Toys That Made Us Turtles episode, they go quite deep into the Eastman and Laird relationship in there in a way I didn't see coming and I won't lie, it hit me right in the feelbox. Hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy for the new iteration, but I do remember a sequence from the 80s series being showcased a lot for its animation.

Splinter and Shredder are going at it - 'you don't know what's behind you' - Splinter's after a ray gun or something.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The technical quality of the animation in this show is really impressive. Too bad it's married to a style and tone that just ain't for me. Everything's just so manic and overbearing. But I still appreciate that they're giving the turtles this kind of budget and effort in 2019. I guess the kids are more into it.

I'll echo what others have said, the 2012 Nick show was the best.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I can appreciate how dynamic it is and some of the shots look great, but there are so many scenes where it feels kind of choppy. Like it's missing frames. Might be a choice though.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that show was an absolute treasure. Best Turtles for me by a fairly wide margin. But man I'm so happy that they can do wild stuff with that franchise, take it in so many awesome directions. I highly recommend watching the Toys That Made Us Turtles episode, they go quite deep into the Eastman and Laird relationship in there in a way I didn't see coming and I won't lie, it hit me right in the feelbox. Hard.

I watched it - these guys look so cool, it's also pretty amazing to watch how many people were involved to shape the franchise into something that will affect so many kids for eternities to come.