• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that strategy games have recently been making improvements in this area. Both Civ 6 and imperator have scalable ui (not just text)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Games pffff.

What about Internet browsers? I don't use Chrome, Firefox nor other more popular browsers because they don't have text size options.

Something so basic wth man, I'm getting old

CTRL+Mousewheel is your friend.

Edit: Also appears to cheerfully override whatever resetera does.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey. it's me, your enemy from that other thread!

Not only do I agree with you 100%, but where the hell is the text size option on this forum? I'm sure there used to be one before the upgrade...
Chrome certainly has text size options:

7QuAIMX.png

Some sites don't respect that option and apply their own sizes (Resetera included) but others do, and for the sizes that don't respect it, Chrome has the (inelegant) workaround of per-domain zoom settings.
What year are you from? Because last I checked all of the current browsers have options for magnifying the viewport and/or the text.
CTRL+Mousewheel is your friend.

Edit: Also appears to cheerfully override whatever resetera does.
Forgot to mention I use a tablet so the desktop options don't work sadly.

Yeah if the text size option could be brought (back) to era that'd be good too

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Is your most of your end to end QA done on those small 24" monitors? Back when I was in QA (pub side), everybody had 24" monitors or smaller. ALot of this was a space thing, to fit more people in.

From my experience I would say 99% of gamedev (not just QA) uses 24" panels. They have been around a long time, they do 1080p (or 1200p) and they work perfectly fine with a DVI or HDMI cable. Gamedev upgrades at the speed of business, so if it works... That being said, 32"-65" TVs are more common in studios now thanks to X1X/PS4Pro, with living room style viewing spaces on occasion or in meeting rooms. So it's up to developers in general to flag these issues and use minimum specs to get games up to basic readability. (Alex Neonakis of Naughty Dog did a great presentation with some specs)

Since you are listening to feedback ;), I have astigmatism and I am color blind. Seems like alot of devs are making weird contrast choices, along with small text. Makes it hard for people like me. My eyesight is not great, and it aint't getting better, haha.

I know it can be difficult whith some elements (like you said, box sizing), but the problem is present with subtitles too.

I didn't talk about contrast in this thread since it's not the topic, but for sure, contrast is a big issue that affects text readability. The front line for both size and contrast topics right now is subtitles - something I'm researching a lot lately - because it's the easiest and most obvious to fix. But solving only subs leaves some other UI areas completely untouched, so it's equally important to solve contrast for those as well. We have some colorblind developers in the studio but ultimately this is where it helps to be part of a bigger company that can do usability testing.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God of War had to hack it and it was a menial change

I have meh vision and think this shit should have to be standardized by -someone- much like movie subtitles are but on the tech side theres a bunch of reasons why you cant make everyone do the same thing. Every engine and every game has very different ways of displaying text so its not a "I forgot to press the "make it bigger" button"