• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Playinng AoE2 I hope they remove the limit on selected units. Shit was old in Warcraft.

LET ME BLOB AND RIGHT CLICK TARGETS SO I CAN WIN VIA ECONOMIC WEIGHT ALONE

I can't remember if it was Era or GAF, but I remember a thread packed with people utterly confused that Civilization is one of the most popular, profitable franchises in gaming.

People are generally pretty out of touch with gaming outside of the big consoles around here. Even the EGS blowup that took the entire gaming internet by storm was largely turned into a console vs. PC kerfuffle on this place lol

It's a fundamental thing of the enthusiasts: lack of imagination about other ways of doing and enjoying things. It's tiresome.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
As everyone else said: It's a console centric forum. Always has been, even back to the old site.

There is still a great PC community here but sadly it was cut in half a while back by certain events and a lot of people got driven away. Still, the PC-Era threads remain alive and active and I'm thankful for that.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember if it was Era or GAF, but I remember a thread packed with people utterly confused that Civilization is one of the most popular, profitable franchises in gaming.

People are generally pretty out of touch with gaming outside of the big consoles around here. Even the EGS blowup that took the entire gaming internet by storm was largely turned into a console vs. PC kerfuffle on this place lol

I feel like at this point, liking or knowing about RTS games skews toward an older audience. There was Starcraft 2 fairly recently but maybe that was too intimidating for some. I'm hoping that the Command and Conquer remakes will bring in new fans of the genre. RTS is obviously the best type of game you can make and more people just need to come to terms with this objective truth.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many people here are PC gamers whenever discussion about Microsoft's first party pops up, you're right to be puzzled, OP.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like at this point, liking or knowing about RTS games skews toward an older audience. There was Starcraft 2 fairly recently but maybe that was too intimidating for some. I'm hoping that the Command and Conquer remakes will bring in new fans of the genre. RTS is obviously the best type of game you can make and more people just need to come to terms with this objective truth.

AOE always seemed like it had crossover appeal to the Civ crowd, and that series has a lot of mainstream/casual success these days. I dunno about C&C specifically riding the wave, though. I'd like to see it.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Dawn of war is one of my fav games so I'm super duper excited. Aoe 2 DE is also fantastic so go play that guys if you aren't already!

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
He never said anything bout being casual, and he is not wrong at all. A large amount of PC players don't care about new games, and stick to playing WoW/LoL/CS/whatever they've been playing for years. Most of my PC gamer friends are like this, and me too to an extent.

And that doesn't apply to console users that literaly just play one series of games?
Hint: a huge portion of console users dont buy any other games besides their one FPS or Sport series.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Hi Mr. Isgreen. Very excited to see a new AOE coming to its beloved PC community. I'm big fan of this franchise and i'm actually playing AOE2de (really great).

I'd like to ask you two question:

1) Graphic engine Is based on Essence Engine, am i correct?

2) I really like art style (maybe too colored). However i've seen unit models not much detailed. Is It depends by pre-alpha version? And could we expect more improvements about that?

Thank you so much, Mr. Isgreen. And welcome Aoe4

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
As more of a PC game player myself, any of the Age of Empire games have always seemed inferior compared to blizzard and warhammer rts offerings. So count me as an ERA pc player who doesn't really care, but when aoe4 comes out I'll give it a crack if it comes to gamepass.

Dec 15, 2017
User Warned: Sarcastic trolling
Considering how many people here are PC gamers whenever discussion about Microsoft's first party pops up, you're right to be puzzled, OP.

Of course! In that case everyone has a Threadripper/2080ti rig to spare (they much rather use a PlayStation out of convenience and... how can you say no comfy couch!)

And that doesn't apply to console users that literaly just play one series of games?
Hint: a huge portion of console users dont buy any other games besides their one FPS or Sport series.

No. Reset era represents the average console user. Bloodborne, Persona 5 and nier automata sold 68 million copies each...

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Of course! In that case everyone has a Threadripper/2080ti rig to spare (they much rather use a PlayStation out of convenience and... how can you say no comfy couch!)

No. Reset era represents the average console user. Bloodborne, Persona 5 and nier automata sold 68 million copies each...
Where did you take these numbers?

All these 3 games has together sold less than 10 mln

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an Xbox fan, I attended X019, I have zero interest in strategy games. I didn't even think twice about going over to the AoE booth.

I'm a console gamer, so I agree with those that think it's more tailored towards PC crowd, Era is mostly geared towards consoles. But then I agree with the statement below

Curious, isn't it?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Same reason people aren't talking about Civ or DOTA 2 or LoL. People here prefer "console games", even if they play them on PC.

But of course, let's console war!

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
The opinions of people here are in the minority. I also find this forum is biased towards Sony, Nintendo to a much lesser extent. With Microsoft, PC and Mobile being unpopular.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
May also be a geographic thing. This forum seems pretty US-heavy to me, and these games have always been bigger in Europe I think.

Like, I'm from spreadsheet-land, basically, and these AoE news have been getting a ton of buzz in local game communities + press.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Era is a bubble, much like Gaf. Going years back if you took this community as the 'pulse' of the gaming industry you'd think the Vita was one of the most popular gaming platforms at the time.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I'd like to know that too
Not sure where they went, but various Reddit communities such as r/games have a big PC presence, and forums such as somethingawful have a strong affinity to PC genres. You'd get discussions on there relating to old school shooters, strategy games and CRPGs that you never would on here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
We used to have a decent-sized PC audience on here, but many were made to feel unwelcome and left.
Not only that, but constant threads deriding the platform such as last week's RDR2 thread, or last month's 'console CPUs will make PCs obsolete next gen' thread. Completely biased, platform war topics that are kept open for days before being locked for some reason. I see the new Star Wars game has serious performance and some crashing issues on consoles, and the consensus is the developers need to do a better job optimising the game for consoles. Meanwhile RDR2 had launch issues on PC, numerous of them are already patched, and yet people here said it was the PC platforms fault those issues exist, not Rockstar's porting effort, and thats why the PC shouldn't be considered a viable platform for mainstream gaming platform. It's insane the mental gymnastics some users here have.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have made 2 it threads. Total war Warhammer and total war 3 kingdoms. The amount of people commenting there is tiny. There is like 20 people that regularly post.
Note that these games sold millions of units WW.
Imo era os very console centric. For example a thread about unreal engine and didn't mention battlefleet gothic, which is an impressive space battle game.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As others have already pointed out, it has nothing to do with the game's popularity in the real world. Era is a bubble focused on 3rd-person action games and japanese titles. And, as others have also pointed out, the amount of trolls having free reign to derail PC threads due to what I perceive to be inconsistent administration policies has driven a significant portion of the once very strong Era PC community away.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in it by virtue of Relic's output(specifically Dawn of War II), but I can't say I have a whole lot of experience with Age of Empires, so I just look at that trailer and go "wow cool art".

The Definitive Edition for both games are up on game pass so maybe I should change that.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's a particular kind of audience here. From the years I've been here, Era loves (or loves to hate):

- Nintendo
- Square Enix
- Souls
- JRPGs
- standalone single player games

And doesn't care as much for (or doesn't understand):

- Competitive/esports games
- MOBA and RTS games
- GaaS games
- Multiplayer games

Window

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm still looking forward to the game, my interest has been slightly deflated due to it returning back to the Medieval era yet again after the AoEII re-releases. Honestly would have loved something which went from the Victorian era to WW1, while bringing back more of a traditional history focus to the campaign. There's lots of great stories to tell from this period of history too.