• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
You would think that all of the shit that "era" talked about Microsoft Store, Epic Store, etc... that they would also talk about the games of PC a lot and especially one of the most popular PC franchises ever (and Flight Sim) amongst other pc franchises...but here we are. It seems to me that there's a large group of users who have shit to talk about with certain companies or things that a company does even though they don't really impact them. That's how I view it.

I think there are other websites where people talk about different genres of PC games, my brother runs one, discussion here seems to be more related to cross platform games that also run on PC. So often more about performance rather than the games themselves.

Plus a lot of us who do game on PC are often playing older games due to the sheer breadth of the library, things that don't necessarily create a lot of discussions. I've been spending a lot of time playing a strategy game from 1999 this weekend.

I used to talk a lot more about Microsoft when they were actively trying to kill the platform I game on, but these days they're much more friendly.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of them were constantly shitting up Steam and Epic Games Store threads and were antagonistic towards the staff. Some of them got banned.
It was more that they got targeted by posters who were fanboying for a certain storefront but don't care about pc gaming and it immensely hurt the pc community in here.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I love Age of Empires...

I just felt confused if they are actually going to deliver a good game and if people will indeed come back for an RTS in 2020? (2021?) whenever it comes out.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love Age of Empires...

I just felt confused if they are actually going to deliver a good game and if people will indeed come back for an RTS in 2020? (2021?) whenever it comes out.
Age 2 def edition is doing great. Dont say why this one wont and probably even better. People are waiting a long time for 4.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Age 2 def edition is doing great. Dont say why this one wont and probably even better. People are waiting a long time for 4.

I know I am currently playing playing Age 2 and will be there day 1 for it, I'm not sure if everyone who did before will defintley come back.. We gotta wait and see I suppose but it's really really nice to see them finally doing Age 4.

Wish Ensemble Studios was still open..

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So there is work to do. Let's get more PC gamers on this forum.
PC has many other and better focused places to go for info and dicussion. I loved AOE 2 when I was in high school, it could run on libraryand lab computers. If I wanted to discuss the trailer I'd go to youtube AOE2 content creater channels (there are some good ones out there), reddit AOE sub, or just look up news on it in Google.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I know I am currently playing playing Age 2 and will be there day 1 for it, I'm not sure if everyone who did before will defintley come back.. We gotta wait and see I suppose but it's really really nice to see them finally doing Age 4.

Wish Ensemble Studios was still open..

Let's hope World's Edge can somewhat replace Ensemble.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Flight Sim is another game with huge metrics but not a huge following on Era. The E3 trailer has over a million views, and the X019 trailer is another standout in terms of views.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's the curse of being interested in traditionally PC-focused genres on this forum. Unless some people band together and really promote a game as a community it tends to get very little traction even if it's very popular.

Dec 15, 2017
It has many people who don't really care about games in general, and they just know only the wow etc.

Really? Why is ok to dismiss a huge number of MMORPG gamers as casuals? Actually the PS4 is the most casual platform there is:

PS4 Starting Pack by region

North America

Madden/NBA 2K (typically bundled with console)
Fortnite/Apex Legends
COD
GTA
Minecraft
Netflix
PS Plus (Install some games, don't play them most of the time)

South America/Europe

FIFA (Bundled with console - will be traded each year to get the upcoming version)
Ps Plus to play Ultimate Team (Does not know/care to add the ps plus games to his/her library)
GTA
Fortnite/Apex Legends
Netflix

That's 75% to 80% of the PlayStation market Far, far, far away from the audience Reset Era believes the PS brand has (the hardcore single player JRPG/Action Adventure AAA audience) The PS4 catalog could be comprised by say... 10 of those games above and sales would remain strong.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Some massive PC games have barely no traction on ERA: League, Dota, CS, PoE...

They only get remembered here when there is some controversy happening

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Yeah... It happens regularly here since the 80% of content on this site is Nintendo/Sony drive.

I'm an AoE II fan and the AoEIV trailer was amazing (but a bit short). Hoping Relic could show the game more regularly and even tease us with a more modern Age (my dream is that Relic gave us a Libertadores campaign)...

Nov 11, 2017
Era typically doesn't care about many things that aren't single player action games, besides that it's Microsoft they don't really have a huge place here.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was more that they got targeted by posters who were fanboying for a certain storefront but don't care about pc gaming and it immensely hurt the pc community in here.
Basically this. There was a lot of bad faith shitposting from people delighting in console-style platform wars coming to the PC and enjoying winding people up about it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are a lot of huge games that aren't popular on here because this forum has a very specific audience.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those franchises that I think speaks a lot to lapsed gamers. Same thing with Diablo 3 when it was announced. My group of friends who mostly don't play games at all anymore heard about it and were really excited.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
ERA is largely console focused, this shouldn't be anything new.

Games like Dota 2 and CS:GO have a very small presence on this forum despite being one of the most popular games out there.
Hell, even games like Fortnite have a small presence on Era and the threads about it are typically filled with a lot of negativity, there are a good amount of games where the community isn't "with it."

Oct 25, 2017
As a PC only player I tend to stick to communities of games I play consistently. There are solid reasons for this. I do not feel like outlier opinions are very welcome and get hostile responses that lead to over-reactive moderation. I do not see that in individual communities, with the exception of some that are cross-platform but at least not nearly as bad as gaming forum can be. Anyway, that is just my, one person, perspective as a PC only gamer been around since the old site and since the start of this one.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer for Age of Empires 4 was by far the biggest and most watched trailer on YouTube of all the X019 trailers. But it seems on ResetEra the game doesn't get that much coverage and isn't talked about a whole lot. Do strategy fans not visit resetera? Or gaming forums in general?

This "gameplay reveal" features only barely more gameplay than the original announcement trailer from August 2017, to the point where it's not even clear if the player is interacting with anything. What's there to even talk about?

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I've checked the trailer 3-4 times, I find it hard to shallow that it could look like this. Not the graphics per say, but the AI pathfinding. Unless you try to micromanage every movement and even then.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Even if this was true (and it isn't), Age of Empires IV isn't Xbox focused or related. It's a Windows 10 game.
It is completely true, but you can act like it isn't, and as I said, Era is also very console oriented. AoE is a PC game first and foremost. It however is a Xbox Game Studio game as well.

LOGO

aYvo7F5.jpg

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
1. We're all busy playing AoE2 DE
2. Strategy games are a niche of PC games which is a bigger niche, but still a niche. The discussions tend to be a bit more insular too, as a different knowledge base is needed really.
3. Lots of PC gamers got driven away over the whole Epic Game Store drama this past year. Which was awesome. Thanks for that.
4. There's not a lot to discuss about it, other than it existing which we already knew.

Anyway, best way to encourage discussion about games you want to talk about is by opening threads about them. So what about AoEIV do you want to talk about SuikerBrood

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's true that ERA is primarily console gamers but even if it wasn't, there's not really much to talk about for 4. we just saw a short preview and a few minutes of dev talks.

I'm very excited about the game but all its discussion would basically be very vague assumptions.

Though I'm happy to hear that it was the biggest game in metrics, there's a reason why the series is considered one of the best RTS series.

Also, AOE 2 DE came out, PLAY THAT PEOPLE!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It is completely true, but you can act like it isn't, and as I said, Era is also very console oriented. AoE is a PC game first and foremost. It however is a Xbox Game Studio game as well.

LOGO

aYvo7F5.jpg
Calling it an Xbox game when it's not even on Xbox is the cheapest move ever to fight the "Xbox has no games" stigma. It's a PC game (for now). Renaming Microsoft game studios into Xbox game studios or calling the pc app XBOX App doesn't change that.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
2. Strategy games are a niche of PC games which is a bigger niche, but still a niche. The discussions tend to be a bit more insular too, as a different knowledge base is needed really.
3. Lots of PC gamers got driven away over the whole Epic Game Store drama this past year. Which was awesome. Thanks for that.
4. There's not a lot to discuss about it, other than it existing which we already knew.

Anyway, best way to encourage discussion about games you want to talk about is by opening threads about them. So what about AoEIV do you want to talk about SuikerBrood

Why happy about #3?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it an Xbox game when it's not even on Xbox is the cheapest move ever to fight the "Xbox has no games" stigma. It's a PC game (for now). Renaming Microsoft game studios into Xbox game studios or calling the pc app XBOX App doesn't change that.

Xbox is a platform. As for the console "Xbox One", what we do know is that they plan to "figure out" how to do Age of Empires II on console after release. I suspect the same will happen with AoE4.

No stigma. I think Xbox, both as a platform and as console has a very bright future filled with a lot of high quality games across several genres and budgets. X019 is just the beginning of a new xbox era.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Why is ok to dismiss a huge number of MMORPG gamers as casuals?

He never said anything bout being casual, and he is not wrong at all. A large amount of PC players don't care about new games, and stick to playing WoW/LoL/CS/whatever they've been playing for years. Most of my PC gamer friends are like this, and me too to an extent.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This forum is almost entirely filled with discussions about AAA games on Playstation and Nintendo, specifically single player games. A game can be ridiculously popular on PC but it's just not going to get much traction here unfortunately.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm extremely excited. I hope this ushers in the next wave of RTS games (PC ONLY). RTS games got real bad when companies tried to make them work on consoles. RTS games DO work on consoles but they just aren't as good. They should be PC only. I wish Halo Wars took this approach. The game was fine but there wasn't a lot of depth. I think it could have been a lot better if it was PC only.

Speaking of RTS games, can we get the middle earth RTS game on steam?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I love Total War but I'm just so glad to get a medieval Age of Empires game, RTS is a bit more fun I think compared to how Total War is designed.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not interested in AoE 4 anymore since it's medieval. I wanted something more modern. Now I just won't think about or discuss the game, which is a shame since I loved the first 3.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Theorry just opened a topic about the lack of microtransactions in Age 4. We've had a thread about the chosen era for the game. That's the kind of discussion I was expecting. But I guess there is a lack of controversy around this game too. The chosen era is to most peoples liking, the gameplay that was shown looked really good and all of the dev interviews contained things that pleased the fans. (No microtransactions, PC only, oldskool RTS gameplay, history based campaigns, etc.)

I'm extremely excited. I hope this ushers in the next wave of RTS games (PC ONLY). RTS games got real bad when companies tried to make them work on consoles. RTS games DO work on consoles but they just aren't as good. They should be PC only. I wish Halo Wars took this approach. The game was fine but there wasn't a lot of depth. I think it could have been a lot better if it was PC only.

Speaking of RTS games, can we get the middle earth RTS game on steam?

I want a new Battle for Middle Earth.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
ERA moves with a narrative marked in favor of a console.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if it was Era or GAF, but I remember a thread packed with people utterly confused that Civilization is one of the most popular, profitable franchises in gaming.

People are generally pretty out of touch with gaming outside of the big consoles around here. Even the EGS blowup that took the entire gaming internet by storm was largely turned into a console vs. PC kerfuffle on this place lol