• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www.propublica.org

How China Built a Twitter Propaganda Machine Then Let It Loose on Coronavirus

ProPublica analyzed thousands of fake and hijacked Twitter accounts to understand how covert Chinese propaganda spreads around the globe.

Since August 2019, ProPublica has tracked more than 10,000 suspected fake Twitter accounts involved in a coordinated influence campaign with ties to the Chinese government. Among those are the hacked accounts of users from around the world that now post propaganda and disinformation about the coronavirus outbreak, the Hong Kong protests and other topics of state interest. They included a professor in North Carolina; a graphic artist and a mother in Massachusetts; a web designer in the U.K.; and a business analyst in Australia. (It is unclear whether the current fake account holders hacked the accounts themselves or purchased them from elsewhere.) Suspected Chinese operatives have stepped up their efforts in recent days, according to private messages shared with ProPublica, offering influential Chinese-speaking Twitter users cash for favorable posts.

An analysis by ProPublica shows that the Chinese government's covert attempts to wield influence on Twitter have persisted. Our examination of an interlocking group of accounts within our data linked the effort to OneSight (Beijing) Technology Ltd., a Beijing-based internet marketing company. OneSight, records show, held a contract to boost the Twitter following of China News Service, the country's second-largest state-owned news agency. The news service operates under the United Front Work Department, an arm of the Chinese Communist Party long responsible for influence operations in foreign countries. OneSight declined to comment and China News Service did not respond to our inquiries.

The Chinese government has also made an official push onto social media in recent years. Its diplomats are logging onto Twitter to help fight its PR battles, developing a combative, Trump-like approach to defending the regime online. On Twitter, government spokespeople have unapologetically spread disinformation about the coronavirus, even promoting the conspiracy theory that Americans brought it to Wuhan.

ProPublica's research tracked how the government-linked influence accounts that had targeted political dissidents and the Hong Kong protests turned their focus to the coronavirus outbreak. During the height of the epidemic in China, many of them became cheerleaders for the government, calling on citizens to unite in support of efforts to fight the epidemic and urging them to "dispel online rumors."

With the epidemic spreading across the world, these accounts have sought to promote the Chinese government's image abroad and shore up its support at home. One typical recent tweet in Chinese proclaimed: "We were not scared during the outbreak because our country was our rearguard. Many disease-fighting warriors were thrust to the front lines. Even more volunteers helped in seemingly trivial yet important ways."

Another post in English trumpeted aid the Chinese government recently provided to Italy. It came from the Twitter handle @RNA_Chinese, an account that appears to have been an attempt to fool the casual reader into believing it was coming from the U.S. government-funded broadcaster Radio Free Asia (@RFA_Chinese).

Others accounts we found have taken a darker turn in response to the pandemic, using it as a vehicle for disinformation and attacks on Beijing's usual political opponents.

"We will completely wipe out the belligerent rioters, just like the coronavirus!" declared a user who called herself Melinda Butler. Her post slammed Joshua Wong, a leader of the Hong Kong protests who spoke out in support of a medical workers' strike in early February. Another post by Butler called on the Hong Kong Hospital Authority to "clean out" the striking "black medical workers," alongside a graphic accusing protestors of wanting a "color revolution" in Hong Kong.

Yet another Butler tweet featured a graphic accusing foreign politicians of interfering in Chinese domestic affairs, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, U.K. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and a number of other U.S. legislators. Also included in the lineup was a State Department employee scapegoated by disinformation campaigns by Chinese state media during the Hong Kong protests. "Hong Kong belongs to China," the graphic read in bold characters, "Resist meddling by foreign powers!" A logo for the People's Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party's Central Committee, was displayed prominently below.

Butler's posts were written to sound like a Hong Konger — in vernacular Cantonese with the traditional Chinese characters widely used in Hong Kong. But whoever was writing the posts occasionally slipped and included some of the simplified Chinese characters used in mainland China.

While some hijacked accounts deleted old posts and laundered evidence from their profile, hints of their origins sometimes remained. One such example is @HKguardian, a Hong Kong account that claims to be a Twitter handle for a citizens' league protecting the city from the protesters.

The Chinese-language account was created in 2009 but did not appear to make any posts until September 2019. We found several posts in Portugese from July 2009 when the account was first created. @HKguardian now has more than 4,000 followers and the appearance of a legitimate account. It is currently temporarily restricted by Twitter for unusual activity.

Some of the people banned by Twitter have popped up under new handles. Consider Amanda Chen, a widely followed account claiming to belong to the wife of a Hong Kong policeman. Its Twitter posts attracted attention from pro-Beijing media during the 2019 protests. The persona has tweeted under at least two other handles (@HKvigilance and @AmandaChen202) previously suspended by Twitter. Whoever she is, she now posts with the handle @Nuca12345, an account that was created a decade ago but had no activity before October 2019. @Nuca12345 has amassed more than 4,000 followers in its brief posting history. We have found no independent evidence that the real Amanda Chen exists.

Over the past few weeks, ProPublica obtained records of propositions to several prominent Chinese Twitter users from what appear to be fake accounts. One private message offered a user with more than 10,000 followers a payment to promote a video of Wuhan's battle against the coronavirus "for the public benefit."

Another account calling itself an "international cultural exchange" company offered 1,700 renminbi (around $240) per post to the Chinese Australian artist Badiucao. The political dissident has nearly 70,000 followers on Twitter. After a day of feigned negotiations with the company, he obtained and shared with ProPublica a sample of what he would be asked to post — a 15-second propaganda clip. The video sought to show that the government defeated the coronavirus and everything is back on track. "This is what Chinese propagandists call a 'positive energy wave,'" he said. He didn't get the name of the company. It ultimately declined to provide a contract, replying: "Upon client review, your posting style does not fit this promotional topic."

Lots more in the link

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed some weird pro china tweets praising them on how they handled covid

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn obvious too. It's appalling how they are trying to change the narrative and getting away with it. I'm now seeing some bring up the Spanish flu and that America caused it to bat away criticism.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a country whose French embassy is officially tweeting about Traditional Chinese medicine remedies to Coronavirus.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
What context explains whatever the actual fuck is happening in the USA or in Italy or France really?
I'm not even saying China did anything good but dear god did we drop the ball HARD on that.

Sorry, that was my point. I was agreeing with you.

Not everything people read online is "pro-China" or a result of being fooled by some sort of propaganda. A ton of western countries dropped the ball hard on Covid-19. A bunch of Asian countries - China included - either acted quickly or got things under control while that was still possible.

But people need there boogeymen, so nuance be damned.

Oct 27, 2017
sad but true, also pretty funny too.

We hit the big time, folks!

Don't let them scam you into buying a counterfeit PS5.

But seriously, both Russia and China need to be excised from normal life as much as possible. This will mean higher production costs for many goods, but there isn't a better option until their citizens have had enough and take these autocrats out

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020

Not everything people read online is "pro-China" or a result of being fooled by some sort of propaganda. A ton of western countries dropped the ball hard on Covid-19. A bunch of Asian countries - China included - either acted quickly or got things under control while that was still possible.

But with China's propaganda, them controlling social-media and the limits to free speak in the country, it is almost impossible to see a difference between truthful praise and fake accounts. That is why nobody actually trust China's gouverment (except in the area in physical products).

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so damn obvious too. It's appalling how they are trying to change the narrative and getting away with it. I'm now seeing some bring up the Spanish flu and that America caused it to bat away criticism.
The context of bringing up the Spanish Flu is that naming infections after nations is dumb and has been used for dogwhistle racism by the US administration.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The fun part is various scumbags, megalomaniacs, and mobsters who do this aid each other. Country A Leadership that's fucking up whips up a nationalistic fervor against Country B Leadership that's fucking up whips up a nationalistic fervor against Country A.

Neither has to answer for their fuckups. Get it? Thing is, Individual-1 blinked...

This is a country whose French embassy is officially tweeting about Traditional Chinese medicine remedies to Coronavirus.

"So Vova, you just keep lying?

"Sure is, Jinping!"

"Even if the messages conflict?"

"ESPECIALLY if they conflict, home slice."

"I see..."

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But with China's propaganda, them controlling social-media and the limits to free speak in the country, it is almost impossible to see a difference between truthful praise and fake accounts. That is why nobody actually trust China's gouverment (except in the area in physical products).
I actually find it really funny that people trust China for literally everything but speech.
Like food and life saving drugs? Sure.
Your literal economy and supply chain? No problem.
Words from officials or otherwise? I don't know about that chief!

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017

They didn't though. The Chinese government silenced the whistleblowers who were warning people about the virus. They're the reason this is a global pandemic, instead of a "Wuhan flu" as it was being referred to in October

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Remember there being this slew of expat videos being super upbeat and cheerful despite the chaos that was unfolding in Wuhan and praising the party's response. It was just unbelievably tone-deaf and very stilted CCP propaganda coming out of these young bubbly western people.

twitter.com

China Daily on Twitter

“Keep up to date with foreign ex-pats in China, living through the #coronavirus outbreak, with our new series #BeStrongChina. Meet Frankie from England in this video! #WhatsUp https://t.co/zZGMWQoPO6”

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering China didn't take any lessons from Sars back in the early 2000s, and how it got started (wild animal market), and dropped the ball on detecting the Corona virus early, and basically led to the death of a doctor was who calling this out in early 2020 (remember, it's called Covid-19, because this whole thing began in 2019, and was ignored until it forced the CCP to shutdown and quarantine a sizeable amount of their own country), it's strange to say they acted quickly.
It's respectable they managed to contain this mess in their own country - which is more due to the disciple of the Chinese people than just government action, but that (in light of what the government failed to do), makes China just barely competent, nothing more.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Twitter was just a fucking mistake. Their moderation is absolute trash and their willingness to do anything about it is even worse. Fuck Twitter.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It really angers me to see governments behaving so irresponsibly. China really screwed the whole world over on this one and they're concerned about their image?! Piss off, China.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

The reason COVID-19 got this bad is because Chinese (local) officials downplayed the situation to avoid punishment, then the central government suppressed news about the virus (arresting medical personnels for telling the truth) to save face. CCP learned nothing from SARS, and now people around the world are paying the price.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pssh I'm on Twitter all the time and I see through all the propaganda. It's just a shame that the US soldiers in China started the disease which caused all this. Fortunately the quick reactions of the Chinese government saved millions of lives. Praise Xi!

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Twitter has been getting worse over time with state sponsored propaganda.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Is it possible to get the CCP bots to fight against the MAGA bots to see who can come up with the most incoherent bullshit against each other?

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory whataboutism
if only americans and their media were honest about the misery, murder and exploitation they historically have commited - including in their own country, that its only theirs thanks to genocide - id take their complaints and reports seriously.

Also, id point to their president and to the democratic front runner being pathological liars, with media cumplicity. Where are the biden sexual assault news on your mainstream media?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

People are bringing up the Spanish flu to make a point about the nomenclature of disease being tied to xenophobia, which is a conversation that is necessary alongside the conversation about the Chinese propaganda apparatus.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
The irony of Twitter propaganda overseas when you block it in your own country is absolutely beautiful.
To be honest you have to be really dumb to fall for most misinformation Tweets.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I look at any source coming from China with even the slightest hint of a connection to the government with a severe critical eye. A global pandemic has done nothing to change that for me.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure CCP's number of cases are even much lower than what's actually reported.
Kinda noticed it crept into here too.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I do research on China and therefore I can recommend to some pieces of research on the 50 cent army:

How the Chinese Government Fabricates Social Media Posts for Strategic Distraction, Not Engaged Argument | American Political Science Review | Cambridge Core

How the Chinese Government Fabricates Social Media Posts for Strategic Distraction, Not Engaged Argument - Volume 111 Issue 3

Google Scholar

This term usually refers to domestic China and is nothing new there, but this reported global spread is indeed newsworthy. The Chinese have tried to use the much more open western social media channels to place similar messages and influence discourses to their advantage. Or in other words: The 50 cent army has gone global.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fucked up thing is that yes, CCP deserves criticism/scrutiny for some of the stuff they did early on and their overall human rights record, the fact that they were able to control it stems from their standing as a police state that they can shut down everything... All these valid criticisms are however, are being touted under overtly racist tones by the general public, parts of the media and helped by the highest office of the land

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Well maybe someone shouldn't have started a trade war and in the process kill of any diplomacy with them.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Are you implying that China wouldn't be doing propaganda if not for Trump's trade war?

Of course they would,but here are far more powers at play than some people seem to imagine. The current situation is the culmination of a lot of fuckups from a lot of countries,that started way earlier than last years November.

Going hard on China, while trump has been blatantly lying to the whole world about covid-19, when he was absolutely in the known and briefed about it, and his propaganda machine spewing shit about how we in Europe are incompetent in handling this mess is something I just don't get.

It's not about absolving China, but some fingers should be pointed as much to someone in their own backyard whose approval is seemingly even going up. (I know,approval always goes up in times of crisis)

Everyone just looking for someone guilty right now is the same shit that brought the great war on terror.