• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I game on an LG C9 OLED and sometimes in cutscenes the characters are pitch black dark and you can't see their faces. Playing Halo Reach right now and there is a lot of cutscenes like that. How can you tell if that's just natural blacks from the OLED or the blacks are crushed?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's hard to be sure in a vacuum, but you can often compare what you are seeing to an HDR YouTube clip to see the ideal on your PC or phone.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
SaqTvJW.jpg

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I game on an LG C9 OLED and sometimes in cutscenes the characters are pitch black dark and you can't see their faces. Playing Halo Reach right now and there is a lot of cutscenes like that. How can you tell if that's just natural blacks from the OLED or the blacks are crushed?

Xbox One crushes blacks, not the OLED's fault. Always been an Xbox issue since the 360. They have a custom gamma curve to create "pop"

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think I fixed the issue. I'm playing on PC and noticed Nvidia had RGD 8 bit full so I changed it to YCb 444 at low

Thought I was going because there was no way this game should be that dark lol

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
if you cant see something it might be too dark. horror games are a good way to check this

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Crushed blacks mean that everything that's supposed to display on the screen as a very dark gray will instead be rendered as completely black. Dark objects will lose definition.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Crushed blacks means you're losing detail that the director/creator intended. Try manipulating your contrast and see if there is detail in the black spaces on screen that you're missing at your current settings. If so, then yup, crushed blacks.

A lot of people just think a very contrast-y image looks better - and stores sell this them way so they pop more - but loss of detail is the risk. Pro-tip: the properly adjusted image will always look a bit more washed out if you're used to the crushed blacks, but you just gotta accommodate to it, especially as you have an OLED with true blacks.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2359478-9963840805-Ks7Jh.png

Generally you should be able to see detail even in dark areas. Like that Division picture, can see the rucksack in one but it's all black in the other. You should usually see finer details like that and not one note black areas.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Lol my bad guys I kinda just came up while playing Halo. Can't believe I was playing games like that and scenes were super dark you couldn't see anything. I thought that was just the OLED doing it's business.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Lol my bad guys I kinda just came up while playing Halo. Can't believe I was playing games like that and scenes were super dark you couldn't see anything. I thought that was just the OLED doing it's business.
Were you playing MCC with HDR on?
I played through Halo 1 and 2 recently on an LG 4K LED TV and the dark levels were, well, too dark, one of the few times I've had to up the game brightness in the settings, most of the time the standard settings work perfect for me.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Were you playing MCC with HDR on?
I played through Halo 1 and 2 recently on an LG 4K LED TV and the dark levels were, well, too dark, one of the few times I've had to up the game brightness in the settings, most of the time the standard settings work perfect for me.
This game has HDR on Windows 10? I couldn't tell when I first launched it things were really buggy.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread: people that know perfectly well what OP is talking about and deciding to ignore the topic in order to make jokes about the title instead.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bring up a test pattern. You should be able to make out all the squares. 1 should be pretty much right black

I can actually get the same results by eye now as with a test pattern every single time, at least in a dark room. I just watch the darkest parts and note when they stop getting darker as I go down. It's easiest with a movie that has some black bars, but I don't need them.
Proper black levels on your TV won't solve crush in the source, though.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Look in your manual. If it reads OLED your black levels are crushed. If it reads LED you don't have black levels, you just have grey levels 🥴🤣

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Generally you should be able to see detail even in dark areas. Like that Division picture, can see the rucksack in one but it's all black in the other. You should usually see finer details like that and not one note black areas.
wow, that was easy. Now I need like 4 other pictures for all the HDR settings games have. I never know what to look for and people just say "whatever looks best to you" isnt helpful

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's always really obvious to me. Can't stand it, I love good shadow detail. Glad to see you've fixed it via the NCP. What's great about the C9 is that you get incredible black levels combined with perfect shadow detail, just amazing really.
OP knew what they were doing by saying "blacks" instead of "black levels (on TV)."
Bold accusation. You sound very sure.