• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
My reaction to learning about the atrocities inflicted by men was never to question God, but to begin to approach white people with additional scrutiny. If history has a villain it's not God, it's white people. God just ignores us.

maybe very recent history, as far as humans are concerned. We been shitty to each other long before being white was a thing

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not God's fault that Hitler was a cunt. Freewill exists whether you believe in God or not. If he exists I wouldn't blame him for letting us get on with our nonsense and not feel the need to have to wipe our arses every time we shit ourselves. Which is constantly.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking lol.

One of many examples of why people either lose faith or are outwardly hostile to religion, right here.
This answer should not surprise anyone
It is absolutely the core belief of nearly all christians

when laid bare, it's obvious how meaningless the rest of the discussion on suffering is because this belief right here is what drives all the mental gymnastics of explaining away the problem of evil in the first place

No matter how hard ive pushed christian friends, they always return to this very idea where they throw their hands up and say "well it's not my problem, just eat the cake and be grateful because we deserve to starve anyway"

when you hear that, it shouldnt be surprising that they can explain away suffering with such indifference. To christians, this life is momentary suffering but also the be all and end all to deciding your eternal fate. So the only thing that matters now is whether you accept the price of admission to heaven...which is a free gift but MAN are you going to regret not taking it.

and this may be different per denomination, but You dont simply not get in. You dont simply vanish. You are made to regret your decision to not take the free gift for all eternity.

correct me if im wrong.

note that im not saying christians are incapable of empathy. Just that in the mind of God, this is the most logical plan and that we are ultimately at fault/responsible for where our souls end up, disregarding all the suffering and life experiences we endure or may cause our hearts to harden or reject god

it is a belief that comes from the privilege of feeling saved and Never from the perspective of those who suffer in all kinds of ways that would justify why one would reject the "gift". To these christians, no amount of putting oneself in another person's shoes is enough to justify rejecting this gift (unless all those who suffer get a free pass, which just seems to imply that suffering is an ultimate good)

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The right question is more along the lines "why does God give kids cancer" or "why are good people killed by random hurricanes / earthquakes /tsunamis /etc.

Humans being assholes will be handwaved away as free will.

Being an ex-mormon of sorts (spinoffs, as a kid, never bought into it as an adult)...I also like "why did God condemn all the native peoples in the New World to hell for thousands of years by not telling them about Jesus" also.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe in God, but isn't the Christian teaching that God gave humans free will to choose to do good or evil only to be judged after death?

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I am perfectly fine in making the moral judgement that: Slavery/Holocaust are objectively bad.

the thread is literally about a seventh grader first hearing about the holocaust and slavery, events that have definite proof, vs god/belief, things that have no proof.

Ok don't bother describing it

It's nice to know that you demand evidence. Knowledge comes from evidence, and thus you also must have evidence to proof that that "God/belief has no proof". You have none, and yet you are so absolute about it, another illogical conclusion. It's nice to know that you don't need evidence when it comes to your own assertion.

Right, only because you say so, and so does anybody else who said differently. Everything is only right justified by themselves, including yourself. Another example of blind pride that proves your argument is invalid.

Here is a question that you won't be able to answer.
You said somebody is wrong because you know what they did or say.
Suppose you don't know what they did or say? Are they still wrong?
If they aren't wrong, then your moral arguments are all nonsense, there is nothing bad or wrong, it all depends on people's accusation, everything is subjective, a hidden sin is no sin.
If they are wrong regardless of accusation, then your logic is also nonsense, because who or what is judging?

Give it a try, most atheist will pretend they didn't see it.

Last edited:

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christians don't even truly believe in hell themselves. They'd all be a lot more fanatical and obnoxious if they did. You know, like the old days. Or, they too, like god if real... are just the most tremendous assholes.

Imagine truly believing people you care about are in danger of spending eternity in unending agony. Imagine that, by design, this is the ultimate fate of most people. You either couldn't sleep or do anything else with your time but to try and convert... or are a certifiable sociopath.

"Bro, you're gonna burn forever if blah blah blah"

"I don't care, leave me alone."

"Ok, whatever, I'm gonna go rest easy knowing you and most of humanity will literally suffer forever. Not my problem!"

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah if God still exists I can claim to be on a moral high ground above them when it comes to my judgement.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The question asked is one that is discussed often and is asked often.

"if there is a god, why does they allow cruelty". Why should it be religion bashing? It is a theological question in need of discussion again and again since there is not one answer.
but then you read the thread and

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm pretty sure Christians just address any cognitive dissonance or gross illogical elements with, "God works in mysterious ways!!!" And I guess it does it for them.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
i'm a bit irked with the "lol" and ";)" right after saying you can rest easy despite the struggles of others
Well I'm sorry then. I thought it was funny that we're talking about resting when it's literally midnight where I am and I'm still up. Oh well.

And for the record, seeing others struggle does bother me, and I wish it didn't have to happen. But it doesn't change what I believe about God.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
People actually take Bible stories literally and don't realise it's just about the message of the story. Our Catholic high school RE teacher even explained that shit to us. Yikes....

And to answer the thread, religious people can talk themselves out of anything, typical "god works in mysterious ways and is testing us".

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Free will doesn't exist so people who believe in god despite the existance of such atrocities don't really have a choice in that belief.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's nice to know that you demand evidence. Knowledge comes from evidence, and thus you also must have evidence to proof that that "God/belief has no proof". You have none, and yet you are so absolute about it, another illogical conclusion. It's nice to know that you don't need evidence when it comes to your own assertion.

Right, only because you say so, and so does anybody else who said differently. Everything is only right justified by themselves, including yourself. Another example of blind pride that proves your argument is invalid.

Here is a question that you won't be able to answer.

Give it a try, most atheist will pretend they didn't see it.
If I recall correctly, one of your first posts was a bunch a creationist nonsense for which you also got banned. And here you come up with an equivalent of "you'll never believe this!" in your daily news. Why on earth would anyone engage with you.

But say what. Open up your quote and explain it with your own words and we'll see.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, another thread filled with religion bashing.
This idea that you can't criticize someone else's fairy tales, even when they have real world consequences, is absurd. There's not a single religion in existence with a single shred of tangible evidence for their god or any fantastical thing written in their holy book. At most they can say their fairy tales are more popular than others. The reasons for which are mostly quirks of history. Do you think it is absurd to actually believe in Odin? Zeus? Osiris or Ra? Why or why not?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
God didnt have time to stop those things because he was busy answering prayers for sports teams to win and giving children cancer.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
God didnt have time to stop those things because he was busy answering prayers for sports teams to win and giving children cancer.
44129.jpg

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
This idea that you can't criticize someone else's fairy tales, even when they have real world consequences, is absurd. There's not a single religion in existence with a single shred of tangible evidence for their god or any fantastical thing written in their holy book. At most they can say their fairy tales are more popular than others. The reasons for which are mostly quirks of history. Do you think it is absurd to actually believe in Odin? Zeus? Osiris or Ra? Why or why not?

You can criticize someone's belief but in an actual respectful manner. Some of the posts here are ignorant and hurtful.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The question asked is one that is discussed often and is asked often.

"if there is a god, why does they allow cruelty". Why should it be religion bashing? It is a theological question in need of discussion again and again since there is not one answer.

The question is not. The rest of the Thread is.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can criticize someone's belief but in an actual respectful manner. Some of the posts here are ignorant and hurtful.
Who really is the ignorant one? Who is the hurtful one? Is it the person gleefully confident in the eternal torment of others? Or is it the person incredulous at nonsense that has zero basis in known reality?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
If I had the power to immediately stop all suffering and I chose to not do it because I really wanted to see how people would react to it, people would judge me pretty hard. And they'd be completely right.

Now to think that someone would even worship me..
If you had the power to immediately stop suffering and did so that would be heaven to not earth. The earth part of the equation is to determine who deserves to be in heaven per Christian teachings.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The actual problem of religion is trying to assign rules and shit to god and his "plan", if a being existed that was capable of creating the whole universe and all life on it, he would have a completely incomprehensible mind, like why would he care about planet earth over the other trilion planets?

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Who really is the ignorant one? Who is the hurtful one? Is it the person gleefully confident in the eternal torment of others? Or is it the person incredulous at nonsense that has zero basis in known reality?

You're views on religious people and your insistence on the generalization of them to suit your idea of them is astonishing. The world will be a much better place if people learned to respect each other's views.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Because I don't see a good reason to not believe there isn't, especially with the creation of the universe

But hey, I must be a naive dolt because I'm Muslim, so fuck me, right? :/

Why not try to force me out of my religion while we're at it, too? It's for my own benefit after all :/ :/ :/

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're views on religious people and your insistence on the generalization of them to suit your idea of them is astonishing. The world will be a much better place if people learned to respect each other's views.
The world would be a better place if people didn't believe imaginary things because it tickles just the right part of their brain. Do you respect the view that the Earth is flat? That vaccines cause autism? Or are these dangerous fantasies?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'd also like to point out that religion is at the route of much suffering throughout human history, war, oppression, murder, prejudice, rape, torture, and then some people int his thread are like "boo hoo you were mean about my imaginary friend on a forum". Nope, not buying that whining.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Because I don't see a good reason to not believe there isn't, especially with the creation of the universe

But hey, I must be a naive dolt because I'm Muslim, so fuck me, right? :/

Why not try to force me out of my religion while we're at it, too? It's for my own benefit after all :/ :/ :/

Your religion, just like every other religion, is pure poison for the human mind.
But no-one has the right to force you out of it. You are free to believe whatever you want and be happy with it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, i guess you can still believe in a god even with all those atrocities. Just maybe not believe said god is good and benevolent. Cuz if he exist and willingly give this shit to us, then this god is a fucking asshole.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well, my Catholic family members would say that God gave us a free will, which includes the ability to do evil as well as good, and it's up to us to choose and face the consequences of doing the right or wrong thing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If pure evil can exist than so can pure love
If only there was an equivalent to the Holocaust or Slavery that would systematically spread love. I feel like pure evil and pure love aren't distributed evenly throughout history and present.
I guess having a friendly neighbour is what I have to settle with for the meantime lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.