• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have been wondering if there was a public website where you could seek names of games to see who currently owns the rights.I suppose when the rights of a game are bought there is a track somewhere but if you don't live in the country where the game was bought it might be hard to figure, even more, when it is about old games.

I often contact directly developers of said games to ask them, but it is not always easy.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I have been wondering if there was a public website where you could seek names of games to see who currently owns the rights.I suppose when the rights of a game are bought there is a track somewhere but if you don't live in the country where the game was bought it might be hard to figure, even more, when it is about old games.

I often contact directly developers of said games to ask them, but it is not always easy.
Just check the name in the copyright registry.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Unless developers push that information out, there is no easy way to discern that from the outside (unlike, say, trademark registrations or company ownership). Ownership of individual game rights might be vested in individual employees, publishers, acquiring entities, IP purchasers, IP holding companies, investors, debtors - it really depends on what deals were done and the fate of the original company.

On top of that complexity, there may be split rights between for a game where one entity owns the IP and the other owns the underlying tech. And also there are instances where multiple companies share the rights, participate in derived revenues, or need to provide approval for anything that happens to it.

I've tried tracking down the rights to a couple of games from the 80s that I was interested to remake, and it was a mission that ultimately ended up being "too hard".

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. One entity can own the code, another can own the artwork, and a composer could have negotiated rights to the music. It's a mess basically.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
As the saying goes, start selling the game (or a remake, or something using the game's likenesses, etc.) and observe who sues you. :p

Kidding aside it seems that there was some lack of foresight in the 80s with properly documenting this kind of information and transferring it to newer (digital) archives. Plus with all the mergers, acquisitions, etc. over the years some things just got lost in the shuffle which is unfortunate.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
With a lot of old stuff, no one knows who owns the rights anymore, as the companies involved have long since gone defunct and the creators have moved onto other things. The documentation has not been preserved and no one is keeping track of it.

Figuring out who owns the stuff is not worth your time as no one really knows or cares.