• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Many people are live in places where sufficient vegetarian options aren't feasible without consistent meal planning, and many of those people are overworked and underpaid to a point where spending the mental and/or financial resources on that sort of thing just isn't in the damn cards.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely in a sex way.

It's possible to love animals and also see the value in consuming them. I love cows for instance, and I know that that cute cow is going to become food for people and it doesn't bother me at all. I love pigs, but I do love bacon more.

The one thing I don't think I could ever do is raise an animal just for food though, I leave that too the farmers. I'd become too emotionally attached and just decide I have a 2 ton animal as a pet.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Wilfull ignorance by the consumer and the meat industry being protective of what goes behind the scenes, people just don't see meat as what once was a living creature.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you be an animal lover but don't think of the ants you're stepping on all the time? Get a broom out and gently sweep them out of the way.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a cousin who's a people person, yet he has killed people himself. I hear you OP.
giphy.gif
LMAO!!!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Many people are live in places where sufficient vegetarian options aren't feasible without consistent meal planning, and many of those people are overworked and underpaid to a point where spending the mental and/or financial resources on that sort of thing just isn't in the damn cards.
Yep. You can't just eat leaf and tofu and nothing else.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the beauty of nature is that animals eat other animals.
We just happen to be top of the food chain.

Animal lover isn't necessarily PETA supporter.

One may believe animals have value and deserve some level of consideration without holding the view humans should remove themselves from nature to the point they never use animal products.

Factory farming is one of the biggest things to give people who care for animals pause these days, and more are becoming aware of it.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
One can support and push for better conditions for animals and still eat a steak.

Much like you need to kill deers in some places to preserve their living environment.

Eating meat is not a declaratoin that you hate animals. Life is not that simplistic.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
is this where someone posts the "and yet you participate in society, INTERESTING" gif?
The issue here is that there is a direct link to something, that piece of meat on your plate was cut directly from an animal likely in an industrialized fashion where countless animals suffered in shit conditions so efficiency and cost effectiveness could be maintained.

With prodicts that come form the industries, there is a direct link between the meat and dairy you consume and the suffering of the animals the industry exploits. We should all be able to understand this and own it if we make the decision to consume animal products.

That image is usually used when a person's ideas for progress are shot down because they live within the system they're trying to progress, and while it could work in this instance there is no denying the direct link from plate to animal suffering is one we cannot deny.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's also important to remember "eating meat" and "supporting the global industrial murder machine" aren't the same thing (unless you're buying meat from them obviously). Many people are against factory farming and the impact it's having on the planet but would or do still eat meat if it came from a more sustainable source such as hunting for themselves or small local farms. If you hunt your own food that's literally the circle of life and how nature on this planet is supposed to work.

Jan 10, 2018
Lack of emotional attachment towards beings we never met(that includes humans), so only (self)taught morals can help. Most of us learned it is immoral to kill tigers or rhinos because they are endangered, but most never got any awareness in regards to chicken or cows.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is silly. Eating meat is part of a human diet.

One can support and push for better conditions for animals and still eat a steak.

Much like you need to kill deers in some places to preserve their living environment.
We can also have conversations like this to raise awareness of the fact there is hypocrisy here.

We're pushing for a better world, right? We do not need to consume meat at the levels we do, we do not need is many animals to suffer as they do for our convenience.

We could reduce our meat intake drastically (and I'm talking about those who can, yes some areas of the world cannot reduce as much as others), be more healthier, and cause far less suffering. This would also reduce impact on global warming and the environment. It's a win win for everyone.

It is not silly, it is something we should consider.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't really love cows, chickens, shrimp, fish, lobster, etc but I love the way they taste

I do love dogs, cats, birds, etc and I'd never eat one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not quite the same thing. Gardening would be similar to animal husbandry.
We'll have people lurking this thread who want to post stuff like "but plants feel pain too!" in any thread like this, it's hard to tell if people are debating in good faith at the best of times in these topics...

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
When people think of these gotcha question on massively discussed topics do they honestly think they're the 1st person to break the code and finally end the debate? It's baffling.

There's different types of love. It's not a monolithic feeling. Obviously when they say they love animals they mean only certain types of animals.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
We can also have conversations like this to raise awareness of the fact there is hypocrisy here.

We're pushing for a better world, right? We do not need to consume meat at the levels we do, we do not need is many animals to suffer as they do for our convenience.

We could reduce our meat intake drastically (and I'm talking about those who can, yes some areas of the world cannot reduce as much as others), be more healthier, and cause far less suffering. This would also reduce impact on global warming and the environment. It's a win win for everyone.

It is not silly, it is something we should consider.

None of this is in the OP. the phrase "how can people call themselves animal lovers and then eat meat" is simplistic and silly.

Discussin the meat industry and the impact of agriculture on climate change is a much different framing. Which OP wasn't interested in doing.

And i know many meat-eaters that are able to bypass the industrial part of meat production. If you live anywhere slightly rural it's not hard to do.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I would actually like to go vegan or at least pescatarian at some point. But right now I'm focused on weight loss first and I'm too dumb to multitask.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Then people can simply say that they're dog/cat/whatever lover.
So if someone loves cats, dogs, polar bears, lions, elephants, monkeys, donkeys, zebras, penguins, snakes, dolphins, giraffes, pandas etc.. they're supposed to sit their and list every animal they like individually just to pander to someone else's needlessly pedantic semantics?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a pretty safe bet that OP doesn't.
Forget the OP then, the conversation is happening with or without them now.
None of this is in the OP. the phrase "how can people call themselves animal lovers and then eat meat" is simplistic and silly.

Discussin the meat industry and the impact of agriculture on climate change is a much different framing.

And i know many meat-eaters that are able to bypass the industrial part of meat production. If you live anywhere slightly rural it's not hard to do.
I don't think that phrase is simplistic and silly. I think it is a very good platform to use as a jumping off point. OP didn't do a very good job of taking that platform and producing a coherent argument, but the phrase itself is one that pans out easily.