• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
This is my rig:

Ryzen 3600X with stock cooler (60º idle, 80º gaming)
RTX 2070 Super (50º idle fans off, 75º gaming)
16Gb RAM 3200
970 EVO M.2
Elgato 4K 60 PCIE
WiFi 6 PCIE
NZXT 500I (yeah i know, this case is not good for airflow)
2x FANS from NZXT 120mm both (back and top)

I want to reduce the noise, the PC is really loud even at idle (stock cooler working at high rpm all time) and also reduce the heat.

My plan is to buy this:

Artic Freezer 34 eSports duo

But also Im looking for Scythe Fuma 2. (what do you think ?)

But Idk if that will be enough to remove the loud noise and improve the heat disipation. I need some advice on how to make my rig enjoyable.

Im open to change my case, fans etc. I just want to enjoy my 3600X and 2070 Super with no noise and low heat.

Also I noticed the performance is low compared to when I had my Kraken X62

Thank you guys for all the advices (sorry for my english).

Oct 27, 2017
Look into replacing your stock fans with be quiet or Noctua fans.

2x 140mm fans as intake - front
1x 120mm fan as exhaust - rear
1x 120mm fan as exhaust - top

This should give you optimal airflow in your case. The Scythe Fuma 2 is a great cooler as well, can't go wrong with it.

I would recommend getting a new case, but stock / location is an issue right now in acquiring some of the best cases (Phanteks P500A, Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If you want quietness I recommend the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. Absolutely overkill for the 3600X but that contributes to the quietness factor. It will also last basically forever, all you'll need to use it with future Ryzen processors is MAYBE a new bracket for AMD's next socket.

EDIT:
also change to an airflow case lol or at least upgrade the fans

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A 3600X idling at 60C seems pretty high. Did you check this temperature while other apps are running? Reboot your PC and check it when you're on desktop. I know if you have Epic Game Store app open, your CPU temps increase by over 10C. The stock cooler does an ok job but I never used mine since there are a ton of complaints about the noise level. The Fuma 2 is a solid choice. Also, what is the ambient temperature of the room your PC is in? That also plays a role. But like others said, a new case with better airflow may be a good idea. As for fans, get a 5 pack of the Arctic P12 PWM PST fans. Incredible performance for the price!

Right now you also may want to reapply new thermal paste on your current setup. Kryonaut Grizzly, while expensive, does a great job. The Noctua NT-H1 and NT-H2 are also great choices.

As for your GPU, look into undervolting. You will lose a very very small amount of performance but your GPU temps will drop by about 4-10C. Also set a custom fan curve, the stock fan curve usually isn't that great.

OP
OP
starblue

starblue

Oct 28, 2017

This should give you optimal airflow in your case. The Scythe Fuma 2 is a great cooler as well, can't go wrong with it.

I would recommend getting a new case, but stock / location is an issue right now in acquiring some of the best cases (Phanteks P500A, Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh).

What do you think about Corsair 400D Airflow ?

EiZGTLaVgAAnvgl.jpg

Is """cheap"" 90€ and there is stock at my location.

Thank you for all the advices ! ^^

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
for what it's worth, the heat will always be there, it's just about how efficiently you can shift it on.

Change the cooler first and see how you go, either of your options will be a vast improve over stock cooler.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a good article on airflow case recommendations: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now

The Corsair 4000D Airflow (not the regular 4000D) is a decent pick, but also look at the Lian Li Lancool 215.

Corsair 4000D & 4000D Airflow Case Reviews: Thermals, Noise, & Build Quality | GamersNexus

stub We’ve been sent three cases for review by Corsair: the 4000D, the 4000D Airflow, and the 4000X. Today we’ll be covering the two 4000D variants, since they’re entirely identical other than the “front bezel” plate that ships with the enclosure. Companies like Phanteks and Cooler Master have...

Lian Li Lancool 215 Airflow Case Review & Benchmarks: Not Quite 200mm Fans | GamersNexus

stub It’s been busy here, but we finally have a brief window to talk about something other than GPUs. Today, we’re reviewing Lian Li’s Lancool 215, internally nicknamed the “P400A killer” despite a design that visually takes more inspiration from Cooler Master’s H500-whatever cases, as we’ve...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Corsair airflow case got decent reviews. Should allow you to use stock fans and keep rpm low so almost silent at idle

Fuma 2 is a well regarded cooler (I like noctua's but the fuma gets great reviews)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What do you think about Corsair 400D Airflow ?

EiZGTLaVgAAnvgl.jpg

Is """cheap"" 90€ and there is stock at my location.

Thank you for all the advices ! ^^
That's a nice case, but check out the Cooler Master H500 ARGB (there are multiple variants, I have the one that's just "H500", but there's also H500P etc). It has two 200mm fans in the front. The bigger the fans are, the quieter they are.

That + the dark rock pro 4 should be a pretty silent combo

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Go one step at a time and start with replacing the stock CPU cooler.

Yeah, definitely get a new cooler and case fans first. If you're not satisfied with the performance, then look at getting a new case.

For what it's worth, I had a NZXT S340 with stock fans. As soon as I replaced the fans with Arctic P12s, my temps and noise levels went down considerably.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Get a nice case with lots of ventilation. I have a fractal meshify c and it's whisper quiet even when I'm playing games at 4K 60 FPS. I didn't even upgrade the fans, I just use the stock ones it came with.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Have you tried adjusting your fan profiles? At those temps, your cooler/fans shouldn't be working that hard.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Get a better cooling setup for your CPU, get case fans designed to be quiet (ie. Noctua), and set profiles so your fans aren't spinning faster than they need to.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I have the 4000D. Together with 6 noctua 120mm fans (use 2 for my AIO) my build is near silent at 1200rpm.

3900x never exceeds 65c
RX 6800 never exceeds 70c

I use a custom fan profile.
40% until 60c, 100% at 75c

It's an amazing case, lots of room and built in dust filters keeping my components clean, can't recommend it enough.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
For the noise the best thing you can do is getting a case with the proper airflow and put the biggest fans and heatsinks you can in it. The bigger the fans are, the slower they need to spin to move the same mass of air. That's noise reduction.

OP
OP
starblue

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Im going to order:

Artic P14 x 2
Scythe Fuma 2

And I will try how it's going. If it's still loud I will change the case.

Is it worth it pay double and get Noctua fans ? I was reading comments about P14 and some people complains about noise :S

Oct 28, 2017
Basically this or alternatively Be Quiet fans for the case.
On a regular Ryzen 3600 I have an Alpenföhn Brocken Eco that's already pretty quiet, but as others said go with a Dark Rock or similar to be as silent as possible. Also when you upgrade your gpu watch reviews that measure noise and choose accordingly.
I've yet to notice even a single degree of change in my case between minimum case fan speed and screeching them at max rpm. So I usually just set them to DC and use them on minimum in the BIOS. Now the CPU fan and GPU fans are a whole other story, that require measurements and multiple fine adjustments depending on the workload and you might end up sticking to the default profile anyway.
You can also check in the power management settings how soon your mechanical hdd switches of if you have any.
Your PSU also has a fan (duh), but if it's not a bottom shelf model and doesn't run close to it's upper limit constantly it should be fine really.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
I have an arctic freezer 34 esport (one fan) and my 3600X never goes beyond 60c when I'm gaming. The fan is set at 50% speed every time and it's very silent.
It's a cheap cooler, I got it for 34 euros. For the 3600X I wouldn't spend much more than that, you dont need expansive coolers to handle it.

You need a new case, and for the fans I recommend the arctic P12-P14. They are very cheap, silent (at 50% fan speed) and perform great.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of general pointers:
  • The more surface area you have for dissipating heat (heatsink/radiator size) and the more fans you have, the quieter your system will generally be (because more fans can move the same amount of air at lower speeds).
  • Nothing other than reducing the system power consumption, by doing things like under-volting/downclocking components, will reduce the amount of heat your system outputs. Higher-end cooling hardware will do a better job of moving the heat away from the CPU/GPU dies, keeping their temperature lower, but the actual amount of heat output from the PC will be the same.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Im going to order:

Artic P14 x 2
Scythe Fuma 2

And I will try how it's going. If it's still loud I will change the case.

Is it worth it pay double and get Noctua fans ? I was reading comments about P14 and some people complains about noise :S

Arctic P series fans are like 90-95% of the performance of a Noctua fan for a fraction of the price of a single Noctua fan. They do have a weird motor sound at around 1000 RPM (at least the P12 fan does), so just configure your fan curve so it'll be above or below that (so 900-950 or 1050-1100 RPM). That said, I use Noctua fans in my current build.

This channel focuses more on SFF builds, but these videos on fans are still useful, even if he is talking about 120mm fans.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is my rig:

Ryzen 3600X with stock cooler (60º idle, 80º gaming)
RTX 2070 Super (50º idle fans off, 75º gaming)
16Gb RAM 3200
970 EVO M.2
Elgato 4K 60 PCIE
WiFi 6 PCIE
NZXT 500I (yeah i know, this case is not good for airflow)
2x FANS from NZXT 120mm both (back and top)

I want to reduce the noise, the PC is really loud even at idle (stock cooler working at high rpm all time) and also reduce the heat.

My plan is to buy this:

Artic Freezer 34 eSports duo

But also Im looking for Scythe Fuma 2. (what do you think ?)

But Idk if that will be enough to remove the loud noise and improve the heat disipation. I need some advice on how to make my rig enjoyable.

Im open to change my case, fans etc. I just want to enjoy my 3600X and 2070 Super with no noise and low heat.

Also I noticed the performance is low compared to when I had my Kraken X62

Thank you guys for all the advices (sorry for my english).

How have you set your case fans up? You need to make sure they are push/pulling in the correct directions.

As others have said, you need more/probably better case fans.

Might be worth changing your cpu thermal paste too.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
A couple of general pointers:
  • The more surface area you have for dissipating heat (heatsink/radiator size) and the more fans you have, the quieter your system will generally be (because more fans can move the same amount of air at lower speeds).
  • Nothing other than reducing the system power consumption, by doing things like under-volting/downclocking components, will reduce the amount of heat your system outputs. Higher-end cooling hardware will do a better job of moving the heat away from the CPU/GPU dies, keeping their temperature lower, but the actual amount of heat output from the PC will be the same.
100% this.

I've got a Phanteks P500A with its 3 default 140mm fans as intake at the front, a top mounted 360mm NZXT Kraken X73 with 3 replacement 120mm Phanteks PWM fans (set to intake at the top of the case) and a single 140mm Phanteks PWM for exhaust. All of the fans are connected to a Phanteks fan controller set to the lowest setting (40% speed). My system runs cool and quiet and very easy to clean due to positive air flow.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know if it translates to your larger case, but I have an NZXT H200i and saw big improvements by setting manual fan curves on everything. Especially case fans.

I've got 2x 140mm intakes running at an inaudible speed, because the 2x 120mm exhaust fans do all the work anyway. And I let the rear fan run faster because it's less audible than the top one.

My most noisy part is the CPU cooler, a stock Wraith Prism. I plan on replacing it with a Noctua effort at some point this year.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it translates to your larger case, but I have an NZXT H200i and saw big improvements by setting manual fan curves on everything. Especially case fans.

I've got 2x 140mm intakes running at an inaudible speed, because the 2x 120mm exhaust fans do all the work anyway. And I let the rear fan run faster because it's less audible than the top one.

My most noisy part is the CPU cooler, a stock Wraith Prism. I plan on replacing it with a Noctua effort at some point this year.
My wraith prism isn't audible above the other fans. I wonder if these vary in quality much.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
I'd too say go with Noctua fans. Fractal Design ones are good as well.
But most importantly, change the CPU stock cooler with something better, again Noctua will be my choice.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
My wraith prism isn't audible above the other fans. I wonder if these vary in quality much.
Probably. Perhaps mine has a noisy motor or something. It's not the speed of the fan as much as it's the type of noise it makes.

I use a manual profile to reduce speed as much as possible whilst keeping temps in check under stress, as the standard settings are kinda loud even when idle.

A lot of it's because Ryzen can do very short bursts up and down in temp during causal use, and the fan responding by speeding up and down. I need to tell it to chill out until there's actual load.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
What motherboard do you have? I have a 3600x and it was noisy until I turned off a couple supposed "features" in the BIOS. The end result is a super quiet, cool computer that doesn't run games more than a couple fps worse than with the features on.

I have the Asus Rog Strix b450f

The settings I turned off were
Ai Tweaker > Core Performance Boost = Disabled
Ai Tweaker > Precision Boost Overdrive > Precision Boost Overdrive = Disabled

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
noctua fans are expensive but you're paying for fans you don't even have to think about. I've got 6 noctua fans in my itx build (cooler master nr200) and the psu fan on my corsair sf750 is louder than all of them running at the same time. the low-noise adapter brings them even lower in sound. I haven't tried the nh-d15 cooler because it's slightly too large for my case but I'm using the nh-u9s and it does its job well for cooling an 8700k with a small overclock and being quiet while doing so.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Get rid of that Wraith Prism. It's insanely loud especially on HIGH mode. You can tune voltages for some lower temps, but imo switching out the CPU cooler is really all you need to do. If you've got low-profile ram sticks you can fit a D15 into that case (tried this myself).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of that Wraith Prism. It's insanely loud especially on HIGH mode. You can tune voltages for some lower temps, but imo switching out the CPU cooler is really all you need to do. If you've got low-profile ram sticks you can fit a D15 into that case (tried this myself).
That's the thing, mine isn't. It's very quiet. Looks like I somehow lucked out... maybe as it's a slightly older one (came with a 2700x).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably some variation between units. The one I had was from a 2700X too.
I'd imagine so, just worth noting to test/check your own before instantly swapping it out. If I'd needed to I would have done so right away, but after installation and testing it was doing great.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, upgrade the cooler, I had the same issues with the 3600 and stock cooler. I undervolted while a new cooler arrives to solve the high temps