• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So definately not among the stories of this election is that California is basically a sucker state.

California has about 40 million people. It is a state that has high tax payers, some of the most precious tech companies. Actual californias contribution to the federal budget is a whopping $234.5B.

Yet the electorial college means that californians only have a quarter of influence compared to someone from Wyoming. (Wyoming has three electoral votes and a population of 586,107, while California has 55 electoral votes and 39,144,818 residents.)

It gets more ridiculous if you think about the senate. Wyoming has the same amount of senators as California so basically 20 million people per senator for California and 300k per senator for Wyoming. Wyoming people have 400 times more influence on the senate!

This is the reason why Gore or Clinton lost despite winning the popular vote and why some senators from red states can dictate policy.

Why is california accepting this and how can this be fixed?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TBH, y'all need to primary out a lot of incumbents and replace them with passionate politicians who will fight at a state and federal level for more meaningful changes. Way too complacent of a constituency. California is one of the safest and most left bastions in the USA right now, but so many CA representatives may as well have come from conservative states. Should start by voting in a genuine progressive to replace Harris.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read somewhere party leadership is from NY and Cali because they raise the most money. So if you vote in more progressive people there they are likely to end up in leadership positions.

OP
OP

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I read somewhere party leadership is from NY and Cali because they raise the most money. So if you vote in more progressive people there they are likely to end up in leadership positions.
But that doesnt change the problem that the influence of a californian is disproportionately small in comparison to other states. Even if you have the minority leader be a californian that doesnt change that the senate is republican with fewer people actually voting for those seats.
Stop giving the federal government so much power?
This seems like a hard thing to do as the federal governments usually are successful in expanding their powers. Especially now with the trend that the president rules with Executive Orders (which is another issue in itself).

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Repeal the House Apportionment Act of 1929, expand the House of Representatives so that each member represents the same number of people. Boom, California is suddenly way more important at the Federal level.

Requires winning the Senate first though. And the political will to do so.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California has about 40 million people. It is a state that has high tax payers, some of the most precious tech companies. Actual californias contribution to the federal budget is a whopping $234.5B.
I get so incredibly annoyed when we become anti-progressive taxation and redistribution using states are the denomination. It is hypocritical on both a belief in a strong federal government as well as progressive taxation policy.

Repeal the House Apportionment Act of 1929, expand the House of Representatives so that each member represents the same number of people. Boom, California is suddenly way more important at the Federal level.

Requires winning the Senate first though. And the political will to do so.

This would also be a massive improvement on general representative democracy. Makes each individual representative less important while able to focus more on constituent needs. Would also diminish the power of the parties and enable a real national third party -also the reason why neither democrats nor republicans support it.

But it is the easiest way within the existing framework of the constitution.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that the number of electoral votes per state was determined by population size already, why is cali's electoral vote count not proportional to wyoming?

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's even worse when you consider a lot of the small states with more representation per person are often being bailed out by the taxes coming from the likes of California fed taxes.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Why is california accepting this and how can this be fixed?
Abolish the electoral college, abolish the senate, enlarge the house, get rid of midterm elections (electing the house every two years is ridiculous, the terms are too short), make the presidemt head of state but not head of government, get rid of the FPTP system and allow for proportional representation which would also allow smaller parties to get in.

I was under the impression that the number of electoral votes per state was determined by population size already, why is cali's electoral vote count not proportional to wyoming?
The number of electoral votes is equal to the number of senators and representatives a state has. Each state gets a minimum of 1 representative but because the house is capped at 438 members it's impossible to give the larger states proportional representation, there simply aren't enough slots which which the small states too much power in the house and the EC.

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because we capped the number of representatives in the US House in 1929 at 431. Each state gets at least one representative, regardless of population. So very low population states have a representative representing a small population, while the representatives of large population states, like California, represent much larger populations.

In addition, each state gets two Senators, regardless of population. Each states electoral votes are determined by the number of Senators and Representatives. So, that's how you get an electoral amount disproportionately favoring small population states.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse when you consider a lot of the small states with more representation per person are often being bailed out by the taxes coming from the likes of California fed taxes.
That is called progressive tax policy. The fed does not tax states only individuals.

Higher earners pay more in federal taxes.
Lower earners pay less in taxes and often benefit from welfare programs.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Because we capped the number of representatives in the US House in 1929 at 431. Each state gets at least one representative, regardless of population. So very low population states have a representative representing a small population, while the representatives of large population states, like California, represent much larger populations.

In addition, each state gets two Senators, regardless of population. Each states electoral votes are determined by the number of Senators and Representatives. So, that's how you get an electoral amount disproportionately favoring small population states.
Seems dumb to not have proportional power but at the same time if voting power was purely proportional wouldn't cali pretty much decide the fate of the whole country? Doesn't seem right either

OP
OP

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is called progressive tax policy. The fed does not tax states only individuals.

thats true but when there are so many people in california and they are getting so little representation you have to make the money argument.
Seems dumb to not have proportional power but at the same time if voting power was purely proportional wouldn't cali pretty much decide the fate of the whole country? Doesn't seem right either
why its 1/6 of the entire population. its not like california would decide everything but at least they would have more power than a state with 500k people living.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London

Ya fair enough, bad opinion on my part, I'm being hypocritical like your other post mentioned. It's easy to feel bitter in the abstract but poor people everywhere don't deserve getting screwed out of help.

OP
OP

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abolish the electoral college, abolish the senate, enlarge the house, get rid of midterm elections (electing the house every two years is ridiculous, the terms are too short), make the presidemt head of state but not head of government, get rid of the FPTP system and allow for proportional representation which would also allow smaller parties to get in.

The number of electoral votes is equal to the number of senators and representatives a state has. Each state gets a minimum of 1 representative but because the house is capped at 438 members it's impossible to give the larger states proportional representation, there simply aren't enough slots which which the small states too much power in the house and the EC.
but thats impossible without constitutional amendment which in itself would require a lot of states agree to it and i dont think many states would because they are benefitting from it.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
thats true but when there are so many people in california and they are getting so little representation you have to make the money argument.

why its 1/6 of the entire population. its not like california would decide everything but at least they would have more power than a state with 500k people living.
they are 1/6 when you only need 3/6 of the pop to vote for you. You get cali and it's borderline impossible to lose. Cali would essentially be the deciding factor for the policies of the whole country while at the end of the day they are a state of the west coast with their own setbacks and challenges that are not necessarily representative of the challenges other states has. At that point make it a sovereign nation lol

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
But that doesnt change the problem that the influence of a californian is disproportionately small in comparison to other states. Even if you have the minority leader be a californian that doesnt change that the senate is republican with fewer people actually voting for those seats.

This seems like a hard thing to do as the federal governments usually are successful in expanding their powers. Especially now with the trend that the president rules with Executive Orders (which is another issue in itself).
From what I understand a lot of who gets backed for senate seats are determined by Schumer, I could be wrong though so having control over that process by a progressive would help a lot.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

Bush won a majority of the popular vote in 2004. So not necessarily.

At this point, why do all these empty states get to have to undue influence over the majority of the country?

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Repeal the House Apportionment Act.

Every other type of reform that would give us more influence requires for the Democratics to have a much larger majority, like repealing the electoral college

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because the size of the House of Representatives has not increased in size since 1929.
Because in a system where winner takes all (270 gets you the presidency as well as 540 or 400) the majority have all the power and minorities have zero power. This at least helps a bit.
We literally have a whole house of congress dedicated to giving each state national representation regardless of population size. To have the entire executive branch and judicial branch based on a system that doesn't give the majority power means the system is completely undemocratic.

Seriously, you can't argue tyranny of the majority as long as the Senate exists.

OP
OP

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they are 1/6 when you only need 3/6 of the pop to vote for you. You get cali and it's borderline impossible to lose. Cali would essentially be the deciding factor for the policies of the whole country while at the end of the day they are a state of the west coast with their own setbacks and challenges that are not necessarily representative of the challenges other states has. At that point make it a sovereign nation lol
indeed. and the second biggest state is texas with 30 million third and fourth is florida and new york with 20 million each. probably those will dictate the american politics among themselves but i fail to see how that is a problem because in the end the states are representing the people living in there.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
A real cutthroat maneuver would be to repeal their anti-gerrymandering legislation and cut out all their Republicans in the legislature. Supreme Court already said it's okay.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
1. Secede from the Union
2. Wait until the rest of the US breaks down economically
3. Swiftly lead an invasion through the continent, taking over Washington DC
4. Establish the Greater Californian Republic
5. ????
6. Profit

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The electoral college and the Senate make this really difficult, and amending the constitution to get rid of those is even harder. Your options to reduce the poor proportional representation are basically to try to figure out how many safely Democratic states you could divide California into without creating one that may go Republican, or figure out how to encourage Californians to go colonize Wyoming and the Dakotas.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Because in a system where winner takes all (270 gets you the presidency as well as 540 or 400) the majority have all the power and minorities have zero power. This at least helps a bit.

And they got their compromise with the senate. The problem is that they also get disproportionate influence over the house and presidency, and then that voting minority uses that leverage to fuck over other categories of minorities (race, sexuality, gender identity). We've flipped that old adage and now we've got 1 wolf and two sheep deciding on what to eat, but you gave the wolf 3 votes.

Fantasma

Nov 16, 2017
With things like Prop22 passing without a hitch? I'd rather them not.

^^^ infinite Beaten

They should focus on taking their state back from lobbyists.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Deregulate building provisions and eliminate zoning to increase housing supply to lower costs across the state to encourage more people to immigrate into California. This will have a positive influence on homelessness and wealth inequality in the state. As shitty as it is, encourage tax subsidies for growing and emerging industries to help fuel job and GDP growth to create jobs for migration in, right now the state is losing businesses and industries at rapid rates.

The more and more we can get people to flow into California the better and utilize their resources and tax revenue to eliminate the massive problems (largely infrastructure, public schooling, homelessness, and cost of housing) the better. Truly make California a liberal utopia so you can say "well we don't have any fucking problems, why are all of your states such a mess?"

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so you keep senate to be dictated by the coalition of wyoming, south dakota, north dakota, alaska, idaho etc.?
dont get me wrong, i dont want that either.

im just hoping theres a better way than growing the influence of the place with such rampant nimbyism. thats my wishful thinking getting in the way

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
they can continue their ever climbing housing prices causing more of us to move 😏
(my exodus was to texas, thanks for asking).

but seriously, the restrictions against CA exist at a constitutional level and won't be reverted in our lifetime, if at all. The house re-apportions act is a legitimate way to give us more house representation.

And I doubt you could really split the state into three blue areas. If the state's blue, it's because of the metro areas, and even LA or orange county isn't super reliably blue iirc. I lived in the Bay Area, so I might be wrong about SoCal, but it really does feel like the crazy GOP house members come from there lol.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Continue migrating to Texas and other places and changing the complexion there?

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason California couldn't have many more progressive candidates like AOC (who represents NY district). Californians have let their representatives be lazy and haven't demanded more from them.

OP
OP

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they can continue their ever climbing housing prices causing more of us to move 😏
(my exodus was to texas, thanks for asking).

but seriously, the restrictions against CA exist at a constitutional level and won't be reverted in our lifetime, if at all. The house re-apportions act is a legitimate way to give us more house representation.

And I doubt you could really split the state into three blue areas. If the state's blue, it's because of the metro areas, and even LA or orange county isn't super reliably blue iirc. I lived in the Bay Area, so I might be wrong about SoCal, but it really does feel like the crazy GOP house members come from there lol.
exodus seems to be real. Texas is now only a +6 republican state. It was a +9 state 4 years ago and a +16 8 years ago. The trend is clear next election it might flip. Georgia seems to be a similar story.
There's no reason California couldn't have many more progressive candidates like AOC (who represents NY district). Californians have let their representatives be lazy and haven't demanded more from them.
So is there a certain disdain between the public and its representatives? I mean the californians seem pretty progressive.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
exodus seems to be real. Texas is now only a +6 republican state. It was a +9 state 4 years ago and a +16 8 years ago. The trend is clear next election it might flip. Georgia seems to be a similar story.
to be fair, I don't know how representative my situation is. My partner lived out here in Texas, and it was inevitable I'd move there or he'd move here; the bay area's awful housing situation basically forced my hand.

Point is, it's possible many of those moving from California aren't necessarily blue-leaning in the slightest.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently asking for more proportional representation is off the table as soon as the people vote for policies you don't agree with.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So is there a certain disdain between the public and its representatives? I mean the californians seem pretty progressive.
California is a fucking gigantic state that has a wide variety of demographics. Overall it's very into the whole "liberal capitalist" thing, like the rest of the west coast.