• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'd like to see them experiment with a points-based mode that rewards you for more than just finishing in first. Take things like successful weapon attacks into account, tricks, fastest lap times, and longer drifts. Mario Kart is one of the few racing franchises so well known, you can experiment with something as fundamental as "first place finisher wins".

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Proper single player campaign. No more cheating AI. Characters/locations beyond Mario (they've already dipped their toes in here). Track modifiers (different times of day with different obstacles or something). The option to turn off the awful sound effects so we can actually hear the music....

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I would appreciate MK9 being more of a live game, similar to something like Splatoon or CTR. New maps over time, new outfits and karts to unlock. I wouldn't even mind if they introduce microtransactions into this if that prolongs the time they can keep supporting this game, as long as they do in a similar way as CTR did where you can easily keep up with clearing everything in the shop as long as you play the game semi-regularly and the microtransactions are just there as a option to speed unlocking all the cosmetic stuff up for the whales and new tracks and gameplay stuff is free for everyone. Even if it's a bit more grindy than CTR was, as long as it's nothing like the terrible gatcha stuff in the mobile MK I'm fine with extending MK9's lifespan into infinity with a bit more of a live game approach.

I think all my other wants for the next MK really come from playing CTR:NF. More personality in the character animations, big roster with some way more obscure character picks along the regular cast (give me E. Gadd, Prince Peasley, Pianta, Dimentio, Paper Mario and Cackletta), costumes for characters (that amazing UK Waluigi skin better not stay stuck on the mobile MK), kart customization, a more intricate drift system to allow for a bit more skillful gameplay among the chaos, a substantial singleplayer mode.

The idea of going into a more Smash Bros or Sonic and Sega All Stars route could also be interesting, going for a more "Nintendo Kart" approach. There's still a lot more untapped potential within the Mario series though so that wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I would appreciate MK9 being more of a live game, similar to something like Splatoon or CTR. New maps over time, new outfits and karts to unlock. I wouldn't even mind if they introduce microtransactions into this if that prolongs the time they can keep supporting this game, as long as they do in a similar way as CTR did where you can easily keep up with clearing everything in the shop as long as you play the game semi-regularly and the microtransactions are just there as a option to speed unlocking all the cosmetic stuff up for the whales and new tracks and gameplay stuff is free for everyone. Even if it's a bit more grindy than CTR was, as long as it's nothing like the terrible gatcha stuff in the mobile MK I'm fine with extending MK9's lifespan into infinity with a bit more of a live game approach.

I think all my other wants for the next MK really come from playing CTR:NF. More personality in the character animations, big roster with some way more obscure character picks along the regular cast (give me E. Gadd, Prince Peasley, Pianta, Dimentio, Paper Mario and Cackletta), costumes for characters (that amazing UK Waluigi skin better not stay stuck on the mobile MK), kart customization, a more intricate drift system to allow for a bit more skillful gameplay among the chaos, a substantial singleplayer mode.

The idea of going into a more Smash Bros or Sonic and Sega All Stars route could also be interesting, going for a more "Nintendo Kart" approach. There's still a lot more untapped potential within the Mario series though so that wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

No please don't invite microtransactions in wtf lol

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
• Go all in on the concept of Mario Kart 8's crossover DLC and just make it Nintendo Kart with characters, tracks, and vehicles from various Nintendo franchises represented
• Better item balance and finer + more control over customizing which items appear in multiplayer
• Bring Mission Mode and the Airship Fortress track from Mario Kart DS back
• Have online play that's actually good, or at least isn't terrible
• Bring snaking back (kidding... sort of)

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Mission mode like in Mario Kart DS, but even better.
Adventure mode that can be played in co-op like in Diddy Kong Racing. But even better.
"Snaking", that is, that you can do boosting much faster so you have something to do during straight roads.

That's what I need for Mario Kart to get interesting again.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on driving over items. Not saying it should be MotoGP or that you should even have to use the brakes outside of 200cc, but in MK8D how you navigate the track means very little compared to which items you get and how you use them.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Just do more with it. Challenge mode, story mode, actual decent character selection, more characters and tracks from other franchises. Seriously, the character selection in recent Mario Karts is so freaking bad! Considering what other kart racers have done, we should have almost every character to appear in a Mario game ever. They can certainly make it possible with the game's budget. Give us Geno, Cackletta, Paper Mario stuff. Instead they give us babies that have never appeared in another game before lol. 8D is far from perfect, and the second I started the game I noticed quite a number of omissions from previous titles.

Hell coming off of CTR, the game feels quite shallow in every aspect and is quite hard to go back to honestly - racing gameplay, modes, character selections, character animations. Give us costumes! It's significantly inferior in so many aspects. I get they can't make it too driving-skill focused because then it would lose its value as a party game, but I want more of the game to be dependent on skill than items. So yeah, lots of room for improvement and I really hope they do more for the series rather than just continue refining what they already have. It's not really good enough for such a huge franchise.

Last edited:

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Live Game/GAAS

regular new tracks/characters/skins

tournaments with known ranks and leaderboards

have cosmetic gear that doesn't effect stats

Make Lightweights viable again

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
So, here's a controversial idea

WiiU MK8 obviously didn't do it for the right reason, but the idea of having battle mode mechanics on the regular race tracks is actually a neat idea if they had actually fleshed it out into a proper battle race mode, instead of the sloppy thing where they have you just driving around freely on the regular tracks as if they were normal battle mode tracks.

So, why not have a battle race/endurance mode, where you race the regular tracks as normal but your characters have X-amount of balloons to be able to use before they are removed from the race.

If they could get the balancing act perfect, I would be up for playing that!